Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Continued... Abolition of Ottoman Caliphate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continued... Abolition of Ottoman Caliphate
    Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 01:59
The critical thing your glossing over is how corrupt, decadent and unislamic the Ottoman Empire was towards the end

Not really, we know corruption existed, still doesn't justify abolishing what Muhammad (pbuh) commanded us to maintain.

Defending the caliph was not an act of defending the ummah

I didn't state they should've defended the Caliph. He was a tool of the British also and should've been deposed and replaced with a capable ruler who wanted to implement Islam. Not a secularist nationalist.

Attaturk I believe actually saw Islam as a major way of correcting the decadence in the Empire

He saw Islam as something ancient and backwards hence his "reforms" all of which aimed at abolishing Islamic aspects of the society and replacing them with secular ideals. He was a europhile, nobody can deny this, and he wanted to Eurofy Turkey. You can't see he corrected anyhting within the empire, as his first order of business was to abolish the empire...

I think the Safavids would disagree

Good for the Safawieen.

If the Caliph was not (and he wasn't) ruling by what Allah has revealed, should he be overthrown?

Yes the ruling for this situation, where a Khalifah begins to rule by Kufr is for him to be deposed and replaced with a capable Khalifah.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 02:26
So, lets create a situation.
Firstly, the Arabs and Balkans revolted against the corrupt Caliph, the Arabs, probably wanted to form a Caliphate of their own but were unable to due to western interferance.
Secondly, after the Ottomans had lost there ME territories, and after world war one. The ottomans did not have the power to claim the caliphate over others.

Now as far as I can see, the blame for the fall of the Caliphate doesn't lie on ataturk, or the turkish people. They were fighting against the corrupt caliph. The problem lies with the fact that there was no nation capable of claiming the caliphate after the demise of the Ottoman Empire.
You can't blame ataturk for overthrowing an organisation that was ruling as you put it by Kufr for what? A century or more? And you can't blame others for not having the power to take the Caliphate from Turkey.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 02:56
So, lets create a situation

Let me create another situation for you. Kemal was a man committed to his deen who sought to save the Caliphate, so instead of working to remove it, he assumed position of Sultan himself and restored it. Then began working to bring the lost lands back under the rule of the Caliphate, when they realised the British weren't going to fulfil their promises... and we all live happily ever after.

Ok, let us dish some of the blame to others, and I've done that, I've identified Hussein Bin Ali as one of the main problems between Arab-Turko relations, not Mustafa Kemal as you claim.

They were fighting against the corrupt caliph

This is where you are wrong. He fought against the very institution of the Caliphate, not against a single corrupt individual Caliph. Corrupted Khulafa existed for centuries, even in the Abbasid and Umayyad times, but people removed them or suffered under them, they didn't fight the very insititution of Caliphate, as they knew that it is absolute necessary under Islam.

You can't blame ataturk for overthrowing an organisation that was ruling as you put it by Kufr for what? A century or more?

I never claimed it was ruling by kufr for a century, these are your words Omar.

The 33 years of Sultan Abdul Hamid II's rule for instance was marked by extremely good Islamic activity. And his rule only ended about 10 years prior to WWI.

If you want to make excuses for those who worked to abolish Islam for the pleasure of the kuffar, go ahead, but don't claim you have an Islamic position to do so. Islam is clear on this issue. We must have Khulafa one after the other.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 03:10
Looks like it wasn't Ataturk who sided with the occupying British at Istanbul but your beloved Caliph himself. A man bent on holding his power at the cost of Turkish sovereignty.

Now This  is an other stupid comment(Infact I am not waiting  this  from  you.)

It is known, Caliph fleed from Ataturk, It is also known he did not take any  precious item from ottomans.   Accusing him  with becoming traitor is not better than accusing Ataturk.

They can have two  different idea about future of empire, but I dont see any traitor

If you accuse Caliph, than other had right to accuse Ataturk. Because

It is true that Brits have not like caliphate much, and It is also true, Ataturk abolished caliphate, because caliphate is a danger to his rule and ideas..

So no need to label people with becoming traitor. Infact noone should be called as traitor, without  a judge decision..

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 03:18
That is not besides the point. Stay right there a minute or two because it is a pertinent point. Who signed the Treaty of Sevres?
Wrong, Ataturk also signed  lozan agreement, and Ataturk gave up from batum and musul.(IIRC sultan did not signed serves, I can be wrong too.)

Signing an agreement after a lost war is not traitorship..

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 03:28
This is where you are wrong. He fought against the very institution of the Caliphate, not against a single corrupt individual Caliph.

That is true, when people offered him to become caliph, he refused it.

If caliphate have power that he can rule one of most powerful muslim state, than he can effect over all world.

I think this is what Ataturk was against, he dont want the rule of caliphate. He want a secular state.

If you ask me wanting a secular state is traitorship, I will answer no.

Do you  realy think If  we had caliphate, arabs, persians, turkic people, albanian or bosniaks will listen us(all of them fought against caliphate)? No, They only want help when they needed, that is what caliphate can offer us.. wasting our  sources, out of Turkey.

If I was nationalist, I would follow step of  Ataturk one by one. I am not, so  I am  not agree with every action Ataturk did, but He is far from becoming a traitor, he was a patriot.

If you ask me becoming a nationalist is traitorship, I will answer no.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 10:08
Qutuz
I'm quite well aware that some of the Arabs had betrayed the Islamic State and had joined the side of the kuffar against the Muslims. But you can't see this as ALL Arabs. Most of the Arabs of Sham did not join with the kuffar, and defending ash-Sham would've still been a viable option, but Kemal did not intend to from the time he was assigned to the region.

I'm sorry to break your romanticsm regarding the matter but yes most Arab tribes in the region did join the Brittish and French. The Tribal leaders had joined them meaning their subjects also had to join, its the way tribal society works.

There may have been some loyal Arabs to the Ummah in the Sham region but they were a minority.

What is ironic is that you try to protect them and put all blame on Mustafa Kemal Pasha who let me remind you was only a general, there were higher ranked officers, he was not a ruler and did not control the region.

Why would defending Sham be viable for Arabs? their leaders had made deals with the Brittish and French from their perspective at the time it seemed great. They could rule their own kingdom, be unquestioned rulers in their kingdom and get rich off their subjects.

So what exactly were the Ottomans fighting for in the region of Sham? to protect people who didn't want protection, to fight for regional leaders who had already sold out to the Brittish and French.

Oh and go do some research about what happened in Palestine and Al-Qudds.

Ottomans were protecting Al-Qudds but the Brittish started artillary attacks against the city, the Ottomans didn't want the city destroyed so told the Brittish to stop so that they could fight on open land. Brittish agreed and then went back on their word, they bombed the city and poured their troops in.

Even Hamas made a video about this reality.

Qutuz
The treaty of sevres and the treaty of Lausanne were not much different.

Shocked

Sevres

Not much difference? you make the decision

Qutuz
So Kemal signed a similar agreement anyway.

As you can see, nope he didn't

Qutuz
"The situation now is that Turkey is dead and will never rise again, because we have destroyed its moral strength, the Caliphate and Islam."  Lord Curzon

Oh really, well let's take a look into what Curzon really said and wrote.

The city (Istanbul) was a victim of its glory and its geography. Having for so long been considered a symbol of imperial and Islamic greatness, the Brittish Cabinet, and Curzon in particular, believed that its occupation would raise Brittish prestige in the Near East and India.

City of World's Desire - Phillip Mansel

The Brittish wanted a puppet Caliphate to control the hundreds of millions of muslims in the Brittish Empire.

Qutuz
Britain wanted the destruction of the Caliphate and the removal of Islam from people's lives. From the Lausanne Treaty and from Mustafa Kemal, she secured this.

How has Islam been removed from Turkish people's lives? have you ever been to Turkey? go and see if Islam has been removed, you'll be quite suprised, it never was and never has, even nationalist slogans go as "Bayrak inmez, Ezan Dinmez, Vatan Bolunmez", The flag shall never fall, the EZAN shall never stop and the country will never be divided. Islam has a place in the Turkish identity and was never forceblly "removed" as you put it.

Qutuz
The Shi'a are a very small % of the Muslims, and they are not really that important. And even if they exist because of diagreement over the Khilafah

And a large proportion of Turkish muslims are "Alevi" which are close to Shi'a, they won't agree with being ruled by Sunni Caliphate.

Qutuz
He saw Islam as something ancient and backwards hence his "reforms" all of which aimed at abolishing Islamic aspects of the society and replacing them with secular ideals.

No, this is totally incorrect, a few quotes for examples

"Ulusumuz din ve dil gibi gl iki erdeme sahiptir. Bu erdemleri hibir g ulusumuzun yrek ve vicdanından ekip alamamıştır ve alamaz." (1923)

Our people's religion and language are two great virtues, nobody has the power to take these from our hearts nobdy has and ever will be able to do so.

"Din vardır ve gereklidir. Din gerekli bir kurumdur. Dinsiz ulusların yaşamasına olanak yoktur. Yalnız şurası var ki din, Tanrı ile kul arasındaki bağlılıktır." (1930)
Islam is needed, athiest nations do not survive for long. Religion is between Allah and the believer (mumin).

"Byk dinimiz, alışmayanın insanlıkla hi ilgisi olmadığını bildiriyor. Kimi kimseler ağdaş olmayı kafir olmak sanıyorlar. Asıl kafirlik onların bu sanısıdır. Bu yanlış yorumu yapanların amacı Mslmanların kafirlere tutsak olmasını istemek değil de nedir? Her sarıklıyı hoca sanmayın; hoca olmak sarıkla değil akılladır." (1923)

Our great religion, has nothing to do with people who do not work or seek knowledge. There are those who try to decieve us into thinking being advanced make's you "Kaffir"/un-believer. However, the real one's who are trying to make us "Kaffir"/un-believer are them who say this. This view is totally incorrect, they want to keep muslims backwards so that Kaffir's can control and rule us otherwise why would they want to keep us backwards and not allow us to seek knowledge? Don't think every turbaned man is a Hodja/Imam, being a Hodja/Imam/Religous man is nothing to do with the Turban its to do with the brain/intellegence/knowledge.

Also many of the things which are often criticised about Turkey like the Head-scarf issue were only created in the 50's,late 40's after AtaTurk's death by Ismet Inonu.

In addition, the last Sultan Vaheddin was not a traitor, he was a leader of a defeated state in a very bad position. It was thanks to him and his meetings with Mustafa Kemal Pasha that they organised for him to start a resistance war as it was the only last hope.

Recently, the whole issue has been revised and is being re-analysed, what really happened is being exammined. AtaTurk wasn't responsible for exilling the Ottoman family, his cabinet were also AtaTurk allowed the woman to stay but the cabinat didn't agree.

After the succesfull war of Independance, the Ottoman family could have easily been executed as has happened in many other states in history. However, they wern't and are now allowed back as they don't pose a threat anymore.

In exile, the Ottoman family never allowed lies to be spread about Mustafa Kemal Pasha, they referred to him as their soldier, the Ottoman's in exile never back-stabbed Turkey, never criticised or joined radical groups against it.

I think this should be appreciated aswell.

People have tried to take two radical stances, Antii-Ottoman which includes totally rejecting anything Ottoman and viewing them as nothing but traitors. Or Anti-AtaTurk, hating everything he did and pretending he did nothing at all which benefited the people.

Both are wrong and extreme.

Its time to take down the barriers and make peace with the past to move into the future.

Edited by Bulldog - 07-Nov-2006 at 10:09
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 11:36
Originally posted by Qutuz

And where is it clearly written in the Quran?
The verse I already quoted for you, "Whoever does not rule by what Allah has revealed, such are al-Kafiroon"This verse alone (there's many others as well) make it quite clear that anyone not ruling by the system of laws Allah (swt) revealed is a disbeliever. That system was called by the Prophet (saw) the Caliphate.
In your last post above you attempt to draw similarities to the Treaty
of Sevres and Lausanne. I find this a distortion of intent. Sevres was
created by the Allied powers to partition Ottoman territories which was
signed, sealed and delivered by the Sultan/Caliph.
Let us just look at what the British said after the Lausanne Treaty...<font face="Verdana"><font size="-1">"The situation now is that Turkey
is dead and will never rise again, because we have destroyed its moral
strength, the Caliphate and Islam." Lord Curzon, British Foreign Minister,
in front of the House of Commons after the Lausanne Treaty of July 24th,
1924.Britain wanted the destruction of the Caliphate and the removal of Islam from people's lives. From the Lausanne Treaty and from Mustafa Kemal, she secured this. If you still choose to reject the reality, that's up to you.
Lastly the Caliph was created as a temporal successor after our prophet passed away
The role of Khalifah was created in the time of the Prophet (pbuh) as was the Islamic state (Khilafah), it was not something created after his time. He mentioned it in several hadiths, and mentioned many of the laws relating to the appointment of the Khalifah. If you don't believe it's part of Islam, then you don't believe in many aspects of Islam, as so many aspects of Islam they rely upon the Khilafah.Also your evaluation of the Khilafah as being something which causes division is completely wrong. It's something that causes unity, and if the Khilafah never existed, probably none of us would be Muslims today. It is what solidified the ancestors of the Muslims today into one body, and it's what caused us to be moulded into one Ummah and to be united throughout most of our history. The Shi'a are a very small % of the Muslims, and they are not really that important. And even if they exist because of diagreement over the Khilafah, why did not the Sahabah abolish the Khilafah 1400 years ago? Because they knew it was commanded by Allah (swt) and by the Prophet (pbuh).
You obviously stated that the Caliph was specifically mentioned in and sanctioned by the Quran
There are many verses of the Qur'an which talk about ruling by the Islamic laws. There's also hundreds of hadith which talk about this issue in clear details. There's also hundreds of books written by the trusted classical scholars who all the different groups of Muslims agree upon (perhaps not the shi'a, but they are as I said a small % and an anomaly anyway) about the issue of Khilafah and the rules and systems relating to it. Perhaps Kemal forgot to translate these ones though?I will give you now just a few evidences from Qur'an, Sunnah and words of Sahabah and classical scholars:THE FARD (OBLIGATION) OF AL-KHILAFAH In the Glorious Qur'an:Allah (SWT) says in the translation of the meaning of the Qur'an ul-Kareem (TMQ):1. "But no, by your Lord, they will not have Eeman until they make you (O Prophet) rule between them in that which they dispute, and they find in their souls no resistance against your decisions, but accept them with the fullest conviction" (TMQ 4:65). 2. "Indeed, we have revealed to you the book with the truth so that you may rule between mankind by that which Allah has shown you" (TMQ 4:105). 3. "So rule between them by that which Allah has revealed, and follow not their desires, but beware of them in case they seduce you from just some part of that which Allah has revealed to you" (TMQ 4:49).These ayaat(versus) of Qur'an, and many others, prove beyond doubt the obligation of ruling by what Allah has revealed. The first one in particular refers to the Muslims directly by stating that we have no real Imaan (belief) until we make them judge between us by Allah's revelation. This is an indication of the obligation for all Muslims to establish Allah's ruling system...

So it's all there and clear for you, if you chose to reject it, it would be because you don't like to live according to Islam, but you like Islam to live according to you. How you can come along 1400 years after all this issue was clearly known and claim "it's not really part of Islam" is beyond me. If you want a new deen without this aspect, then you have one in Kemalism, but don't try to claim Islam is like that, because it's clearly NOT.

I will give you a long answer. I ommitted your hadith. I will answer with my knowledge of history and references from the Quran instead.

Qutuz, you do not attmept to see your own mistakes. I shall show them for you. The ayat you have shown "Whoever does not rule by what Allah has revealed, such are al-Kafiroon" says nothing what so-ever about a Caliphate. You assume that God's system is the Caliph's also. Maybe your vision is better than mine. I did not see a verse about the Caliph at all. Not in your proofs or in the Quran. But you do attempt to rationalize your position with verses at the bottom of your post. I will have a word about those also. First lets have a history lesson. Afterall, you have been a great mouthpiece for British apologists, as well as, religious fundamentalism.

During the invasion of the allied forces in Anatolia (British/Greek mainly) territorial and civil concessions were put upon the Ottoman populace. One concession was the disolvement of the right to bear arms. Another was the closing of Harbiye military academy of Istanbul. Education moved to the Abidin Pasha Pavilion in Ankara during the Armistice period of July 1, 1920.

As the Nationlists defended the Turkish heartland the Ottoman capital was under occupation. The Sultan was a convenient legal entity that unfortunately conformed to allied wishes. In October of 1922 at the Mudanya conferance Ismet Inonu dictated peace terms to the losers of the war of independence. The Allies. The proud British under Lloyd George didn't know when to quit. Expecting more Turkish consessions the Allies were met with stern Turkish political motivation. Adherance to the National pact. The armistice was signed and the Greeks were allowed to retreat west of the Maritsa. On October 19 a representative of the Turkish Grand National Assembly, Refet Bele, was sent to arrange the recovery of Thrace. He was the first victorious representative to enter Istanbul after the war of Independence. The nationalists were bent on maintaining territorial integrity of Anatolia and Turkish thrace. Upon arrival he was met with large jubilant crowds. The next day a victory celebration was held from Sirkeci to the Aya Sofia mosque. This was a parade fit for thr victors. For the Turkish and moslem people who had spent the last two years fighting for rights that the Sultan foolishly attempted to give away. As Bulldog hinted, perhaps the Sultan did have secret negotiations with Kemal. Whatever the fact, the Sutan was in no position to bargain and speak on behalf of the people. The Nationalists earned that right.

At the Lausanne peace talks the English conservatives replaced Lloyd George with Bonar Law. Lord Curzon stayed on as foreign minister and he had a large part to play in prolonging the negotiations. An interesting twist of fate stood in the way of the Ankara government. The Ottomans were still holding onto some tyoe of nominal power at Istanbul. They were the very same men whom earlier had condemned Mustafa Kemal and the Nationalists to death. The wily British had sent invitations to both Turkish governments. Ottoman Grand Vezier, Tevfik Pasha, accepted the offer. Soon the Grand National Assembly voted on November 1, 1922 to enact legislation seperating the Sultanate from the Caliphate. Meaning the Sultanate was abolished. The IStanbul Ottoman government lost its legal foundation. Ottomans of the ruling class were dispossessed of rank. On November 4 Tevfik Pasha resigend his post. Sultan Vahidettin fled abroad a British destroyer to Malta. Mustafa Kemal declared "The Turkish people possess all sovereignty without any conditions". AbdulAziz became the last Caliph. He would eventually be removed when the Caliphate was later abolished. While at Lausanne, Ismet was Lord Curzon's adversary. What the Englishman had to say about the Turks should be taken within this context.

In regards to your verses from the Quran, I'm glad that you acknowledge the importance of those injunctions. Those verses attest to the delegation of religious authority to the prophet. When he was alive. Not for a Caliph or any other human being for that matter. The Quran is the written guide for muslims today.

Islam has been twisted to the whims and fancies of Ulemma and Caliphs. Yet fail to adhere to the following: 10:104 Say: "O mankind, if you are in doubt of my system, then I do not serve those that you serve besides God. But I serve God who takes me, and I have been commanded to be of the believers."

88:21 So remind, for you are but a reminder.
88:22 You have no power over them.

If the prophet did not have power over people what makes you think a Caliph should?

9:31 They took their Priests and Monks to be patrons besides God, and the Messiah son of Mary, while they were only commanded to serve One god, there is no god but He, be He glorified for what they set up.

9:33 He is the One who sent His messenger with guidance and the system of truth, to make it expose all other systems, even if those who set up partners hate it.

Are your partners guiding you?

58:11 O you who believe, if you are told to make room in the council, then you shall make room. God will then make room for you. If you are asked to step-down, then step-down. God will raise those among you who believe, and those who acquire knowledge to higher ranks. God is fully aware of everything you do.

There is room for Democracy afterall!

Turkish secularism was a liberation of the mind from traditioinal concepts. Liberation of the state had to come first. That was exemplified by the abolition of the Caliphate. Though Turkey is not a state that practices full sharia of the Quran, neither is it a state that attmepts to practice the type of Sharia shared by Islamic fundamentalists.

Edited by Seko - 07-Nov-2006 at 11:46
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 18:44
Guys, can u please for the sake of clarity when mentioning caliphs, say which one by name. It gets awfully confusing otherwise.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 18:59
Well said Seko. I agree that there is no justification for a Caliph in the Quran. In fact IIRC clergymen are usually not spoken well of.

As for Hadies, I want to make the following points.
1) Following Hadieses is always voluntary
2) The books of Hadieses were not compiled for hundreds of years after the prophets death. This leaves plenty of room of manipulation. As a result people have tried to determine the most likely to be correct (strong) and incorrect (weak), but this is not a gaurentee that the strong hadieses are correct.
3) The addition of hadieses legitimising a caliphate are certainly in some peoples interests
4) Even if they are genuine, hadieses are the sayings of a man (guided but none the less faliable) that are usually taken completely out of context. They are also time-varient. By which I mean that they are not necessarily applicable for all time, unlike the Quran.

The Ummah is not equivilent to the caliphate. But the caliph is a symbol & provider of unity to the Ummah, and unity is important (even if somewhat non-existant). If the caliphate cannot provide unity to the ummah, then its useless. A caliphate in post ww1 turkey couldn't provide unity.
I await the emergence of a new empire or organisation that can, then they can reestablish the caliphate.

PS.
By the way Qutuz, if you could pick anyone to be Caliph now, who would you choose and why?

PPS.
In addition Muhammed never appointed a Caliph to follow him, which in my mind speaks volumes.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 07-Nov-2006 at 19:58
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 23:19
Omar,

I agree that there is no justification for a Caliph in the Quran

Well the Sahabah (ra) of the Prophet (saw) unanimously agreed there was. That's why they even delayed the burial of the Prophet (pbuh) in order to choose a Khalifah, knowing full well that the fitnah which could befall the Ummah without correct leadership was far more important even than the burial of the best of creation, Muhammad (pbuh).

Also note the tafsir of Imam al-Qurturbi (rh) above, one of the most renowned mufasireen. He clearly states that the mention of the term Khaleefah in the Qur'an refers to the appointment of man by Allah to rule by his ahkam (shari'ah rulings).

Also we must realise that even if the term itself were not mentioned explicitly it doesn't matter. Allah (swt) commanded that we rule by his system, call it what you like but it refers to a rulership which implements shari'ah (ie. a Khilafah anyway, as no other system effectively implements all of shari'ah), so now we'd just come down to mincing semantics. It clearly states the one who doesn't rule by Allah's revelations is a kafir.

In fact IIRC clergymen are usually not spoken well of

The post of Khalifah is not that of a clergyman, it is that purely of a statesman, so this part of your post has no meaning for this discussion anyway.

1) Following Hadieses is always voluntary

Just a question do you believe the 5 times a day Salat is voluntary?

2) The books of Hadieses were not compiled for hundreds of years after the prophets death

This is a completely false statement. Compilations of ahadith existed in the time of Sahabah (ra). Amir al-Mum'ineen Omar Bin al-Khattab (ra) was the first to order a compilation of a collection of Hadith, and this was most certainly not hundreds of years after the Prophet's (pbuh) death. Please do a little research on this one.

By the way Qutuz, if you could pick anyone to be Caliph now, who would you choose and why?

There are thousands of very knowledgeable people amongst our Ummah, but what we need is someone who is both knowledgeable about Islam and committed to its sincere establishment, who is also politically astute and aware of the realities of the global situation.

In addition Muhammed never appointed a Caliph to follow him, which in my mind speaks volumes

This speak volumes abuot the example he set for us. ie. That a Khalifah should not appoint his successor, but should leave the community to appoint him after the death of the Khalifah.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 00:19
Originally posted by Qutuz

Well the Sahabah (ra) of the Prophet (saw) unanimously agreed there was. That's why they even delayed the burial of the Prophet (pbuh) in order to choose a Khalifah, knowing full well that the fitnah which could befall the Ummah without correct leadership was far more important even than the burial of the best of creation, Muhammad (pbuh).

In their case establishment of a leader (ie Caliph) was essential to maintaining unity in the Ummah, however in the 1920's a turkish caliph could never had united the ummah.

Also note the tafsir of Imam al-Qurturbi (rh) above, one of the most renowned mufasireen. He clearly states that the mention of the term Khaleefah in the Qur'an refers to the appointment of man by Allah to rule by his ahkam (shari'ah rulings).

How does Allah appoint a man?

Also we must realise that even if the term itself were not mentioned explicitly it doesn't matter. Allah (swt) commanded that we rule by his system, call it what you like but it refers to a rulership which implements shari'ah (ie. a Khilafah anyway, as no other system effectively implements all of shari'ah), so now we'd just come down to mincing semantics. It clearly states the one who doesn't rule by Allah's revelations is a kafir

The only part I disagree with here is the brackets. A khalifah has failed on numerous occasions to effectively implement shari'ah, it is quite possible to construct a system other than the traditional monarchic style Khalifah that implements shari'ah laws. Personally I like the title Caliph and would give the leader of this system that title anyway, but really its not necessary. I'd like to point out the Shariah law of the Ottoman Empire, and the Shariah law of the Arab Empire, are not identical. The ottoman system provides for a set of secular "sultans" laws, while the Arab doesn't.
In addition much of what is called Shariah under the Arab system are in fact laws drawn from the Sassanid or Byzantine Empires that are not in Quranic shariah

Just a question do you believe the 5 times a day Salat is voluntary?

That's not Hadies, its Quran. But to the meaning of your question, yes there is sunnah that I consider essential, but if another muslim thinks differently and doesn't follow it, this is entirely his choice.

This is a completely false statement. Compilations of ahadith existed in the time of Sahabah (ra). Amir al-Mum'ineen Omar Bin al-Khattab (ra) was the first to order a compilation of a collection of Hadith, and this was most certainly not hundreds of years after the Prophet's (pbuh) death. Please do a little research on this one.

Its not a false statement:
While there are reports of the existence of small Hadith compilations in the first century A.H., the collection of Hadith and their systematic organization by scholars into compendia seems to have begun in earnest from the mid-2nd/8th century. For a period of about 200 years
The early scholars of the Hadith movement were also preoccupied with pressing the claim that Hadith should be the primary source of Divine truth after the Koran, especially against the respective proponents of rational theology, and of customary law. That the claim of Hadith to primacy was not unchallenged is reflected in those works written expressly to defend the Hadith movement against its opponents
http://www.iranica.com/articles/v11f4/v11f4072a.html

Out of our two most reliable compliations Imam Bukhari's was started in about 212 AH and Muslim's is a student of Bukhari's.

I'm also under the impression that there is a hadies that states the prophet didn't allow hadieses to be compiled during his lifetime. I don't think any of the first four Caliphs allowed any Hadieses compilations to be made.
This speak volumes abuot the example he set for us. ie. That a Khalifah should not appoint his successor, but should leave the community to appoint him after the death of the Khalifah.

I think it means that the position is not that important.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 08-Nov-2006 at 00:21
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 01:49
In their case establishment of a leader (ie Caliph) was essential to maintaining unity in the Ummah, however in the 1920's a turkish caliph could never had united the ummah

I think they were acting more on the command of Allah (swt) and the Prophet (pbuh) than they were on their evaluation of what the times demanded. Also every successive generation from their time until 1924, the Muslim community WITHOUT FAIL made sure they had a Khilafah established, knowing full well that if they fell outside of the rule of Allah's laws then they would be on the verge of kufr, as was stated in the quote above by Imam al-Ghazali (rh).

How does Allah appoint a man?

By creating him and commanding him. do you not know the verse: "Wa ith qala rubbuka lil-malaaika inni ja3alun fil ardhi khaleefah"? This was his appointment, and other verses I've mentioned above are his command to man to rule by his laws, not from their own whims and desires.

The only part I disagree with here is the brackets. A khalifah has failed on numerous occasions to effectively implement shari'ah

The term itself didn't fail, and that's what you're effectively arguing. Yes we're human beings, and sometimes we fall short of expectations and commands. The difference as I'm sure you can recognise here is between people calling for Allah's system of Khilafah (or Imamah or Sultanah or whatever you wanna call it) and people calling to Kemal's system of man made laws which contradict and in many cases obstruct and nullifiy Allah's laws. You can either be with those who call to shari'ah or those call to man-made laws, not both.

it is quite possible to construct a system other than the traditional monarchic style Khalifah that implements shari'ah laws

Monarchy is not the Islamic Khilafah system. Please note that hereditery succession is NOT monarchy. Monarchy is a system of government whereby the monarch is the all powerful ruler and legislator who is able to decide from his own whims and desires what's allowed and what's not. Even though the Khilafah did slip unfortunately a lot of the time into hereditery succession this is not permissable in Islam, and those who enforced such things were misapplying the Islamic laws. I know you're now going to claim they committed kufr according to my beliefs now, but that isn't the case either.

I'd like to point out the Shariah law of the Ottoman Empire, and the Shariah law of the Arab Empire, are not identical

What do you call the Arab empire? Was it the Rashideen? The Umawieen? The Abbasieen? The Mamaleek? or Ayyubieen? Please define exactly what you mean by "The Arab empire" so i can debunk another myth you've forwarded here.

In addition much of what is called Shariah under the Arab system are in fact laws drawn from the Sassanid or Byzantine Empires that are not in Quranic shariah

Did you read this in wikipedia? Or do you actually have some Islamic historical evidence for this?

That's not Hadies, its Quran

Can you show me one verse from the Qur'an that mentions 5 daily prayers? I only know of 1 verse which mentions 3 prayers, none that mention 5. Also do you pray 2 rakaat, then 4, then 4. then 3, then 4 (respectively for the 5 daily prayers)? If so, why? Where in the Qur'an did you get this from? When you pray do you read Surah al-Fatihah, and then a another surah in the first 2 rakaat only? If so why? Where in the Qur'an did you get this from? And the list goes on. Perhaps 80% or more of what we practise and believe in Islam comes from the Sunnah, to deny it, or even to demote it to the status of being "only voluntary" negates the vast majority of what is agreed to be part of Islam.

But to the meaning of your question, yes there is sunnah that I consider essential, but if another muslim thinks differently and doesn't follow it, this is entirely his choice

So if someone prays only two prayers a day, or even doesn't believe in prayer at all, or he prays 6 rakaat for fajr, 10 for zuhr, 11 for asr, 1 for mughreb and 9 for isha, you still consider him to be a Muslim? Would you pray behind him? Would you pray your prayers like that with him?

Please reconsider the meaning of what you're so easily saying, without thinking it through.

Out of our two most reliable compliations Imam Bukhari's was started in about 212 AH and Muslim's is a student of Bukhari's.

How about al-Muwatta of Imam Malik? How about the collection of Abu Bakr Ibn Hazm? Imam Malik's Muwatta is considered by all of the other 3 great Imams to be the most sound book after the Qur'an. And it was compiled by a man who learnt hadith from the Tabi'een (ie. the students of the Sahabah). Also add to this the concept of Mutawatir, and your attacks against the authenticity of the hadith mean very little. Do you even know anything about the science of hadith collection and authentication? Or are you just commenting from your own nafs without concrete knowledge?

I'm also under the impression that there is a hadies that states the prophet didn't allow hadieses to be compiled during his lifetime

And there's also hadith which state he commanded people to write them down and that he even wrote some down himself. This topic has been dealt with by the Ulema of hadith well over 1000 years ago, why we as an Ummah are still debating such frivolities I really don't know.

I don't think any of the first four Caliphs allowed any Hadieses compilations to be made.

Actually Abu Bakr (ra) was known to have kept a collection of Hadith as were other Sahabah. Also hadith were usually transmitted orally, so that explains why there was a lack of textual hadith collections in the early days of Islam. But as Sahabah began dying, it became clear that their knowledge had to be codified and preserved for later generations.

As was mentioned above, if you didn't have these collections of hadith, you wouldn't even know how to pray.

I think it means that the position is not that important.

Do you know how important In Islam it is to bury the dead? If it wasn't that important, why did Abu Bakr (ra) and other Sahabah (ra) delay the burial of the prophet (pbuh) for it? Explain this if you can.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 04:15

I think I'm loosing this argument. Mostly because I don't think I agree with the position I've put myself in. Let me make my position clear.

I don't think the abolishment of the Khalifah in turkey was a good thing, but I do think it was somewhat unaviodable. I don't particularly like Ataturk, but I don't think he deserves to get demonised for abolishing the Khalifah. Personally I think it would be better if the Khalifah remained, even if the Caliph was a corrupt puppet.

The Khalifah isn't an essential part of Islam, but unity is, and the Khalifah is a very good way of creating unity. The actual mechanism of the Khalifah and how the Caliph is elected is open to negotiation.

Even though the Khilafah did slip unfortunately a lot of the time into hereditery succession this is not permissable in Islam, and those who enforced such things were misapplying the Islamic laws

Why isn't hereditery succession permissable?
Can you show me one verse from the Qur'an that mentions 5 daily prayers?

Redirecting you to two of Seko's posts:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15389&PID=293914#293914
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15389&PID=294010#294010
Perhaps 80% or more of what we practise and believe in Islam comes from the Sunnah, to deny it, or even to demote it to the status of being "only voluntary" negates the vast majority of what is agreed to be part of Islam.

I am not reducing it to voluntary. Until you said that I had assumed it was a universally accepted opinion, I have certainly heard it from many conservative voices including my local Imam of the Canberra Mosque.

I will point out that it is impossible to follow all strong hadieses literally, as some contradict.
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 04:19
Bulldog,

I'm sorry to break your romanticsm regarding the matter but yes most Arab tribes in the region did join the Brittish and French. The Tribal leaders had joined them meaning their subjects also had to join, its the way tribal society works

There's 2 points to make here.

1) The people of the cities didn't rebel, and they were generally pro-Ottoman, especially in Palestine and Syria (The lands which Kemal abandoned and fled from, instead of staying to fight). Hejaz had already been lost by the time he entered ash-Sham I think, was it not? So really all he was facing were ill equipped desert nomads, they could've easily been defeated, but Kemal did not even give it a serious try.

2) What I'm more concerned about is the impact on the Ummah today and the direction of the Ummah today. What's gone is gone, we can't change it (this goes for me as well as you). And even though the Arabs were the first to become traitors, they are also the first today to abandon their false nationalistic/secularist leaders, whilst so many Turks still cling to theirs. Although the older generations of Arabs still have blinded ties to people like Jamal Abdul Nasser, the younger generations have completely disowned him and his ideals and are returning to Islam and the concept of the unified Ummah which the Prophet (pbuh) spoke about: "My Ummah is a unique ummah, her lands are one, her wars are one and her peace is one"

So Turks had the moral high ground during WWI and the Arabs were the traitors (even though this is a vast generalisation) but today the Turks are lost to their nationalist-secularism, whilst alhamdulilah the Arabs are waking up.

There may have been some loyal Arabs to the Ummah in the Sham region but they were a minority

I don't think this is correct. I have somewhere some details of the population statistics of the Sanjuk of Dimashq and of al-Quds, so I will try to find it. I think most of the population of this area were city dwellers and supported the Ottomans.

What is ironic is that you try to protect them and put all blame on Mustafa Kemal Pasha who let me remind you was only a general

I don't put all blame on Kemal, this is nonsense. Please re-read my posts. I've clearly stated Bin Ali was one of the worst to blame, and he's the one who actually begun this treacherous work, but Kemal is the one who carried out the main tasks of dismantling the state internally. Both are rotten traitors who any sincere Muslim would despise and curse daily in his dua'a after his namaz.

Why would defending Sham be viable for Arabs? their leaders had made deals with the Brittish and French from their perspective at the time it seemed great.

The only leader who made a deal with the British was Hussein Bin Ali, and he was the ruler of Hejaz not of Sham. I think you're just attacking all Arabs as representing the betrayal of Bin Ali and the tribes of the peninsula  who supported him.

Not much difference? you make the decision

So you would've been rid of the Kurds, and wouldn't have had to suffer all these years of resistance fighting from them. Armenia would've been a little bigger, so they'd probably have been more content and not accused you of genocide. And you would've slowly gotten rid of the Italians and French, like Syria, Lebanon & Libya did... no big deal. And you might've had some extra tourism from the Greeks LOL

My point was that to a Muslim who feels the Ottoman state was his state, what Kemal sold out was almost the same as what was sold out at Sevres.

If you compare the land mass of the Ottoman state with the post Sevres land mass, or the land mass of the Ottoman State with the post Lausanne land mass, the difference is rather small. In other words, you're more worried about a little bit of land loss in Anatolia than you are at losing all of your brothers from all around the Muslim world (forget for a moment the treachery of some bedouin tribes).

Oh really, well let's take a look into what Curzon really said and wrote

What I gave you was a publically available direct quote from Curzon HIMSELF in front of the House of Commons.. what you replied with was someones comments about Curzon and the British Cabinet, and you say "Let's look at what Curzon really said"??? You didn't even quote Curzon, you quoted Phillip Mansell's feelings about Curzon's beliefs.

And even your quote of Mansell, if it is correct, does not detract at all from the one I provided. I have no doubt at all the British coveted Qustantaniya (btw, this was it's name through all of the Ottoman period, not Istanbul), and would've taken it if not for the shrewdness of Kemal. As I stated he was a statesman on a level different to that of Hussein Bin Ali. But his traitorship is the same.

The Brittish wanted a puppet Caliphate to control the hundreds of millions of muslims in the Brittish Empire

This statement only confirms what I've stated, that Kemal was working in collusion with the British and to advance their aims against Islam (you're right he didn't help them to the detriment of Turkey, but he did help them to demolish Islam and the Caliphate). Kemal himself was the one who for a few brief years setup a puppet Caliphate. He first offered this to Muhammad Wahid'ud-Deen, who rejected, and was subsequentally exiled, then he put Abdul Majid as puppet Caliph for a few years, then decided even that was just ridiculous and so he abolished the Caliphate altogether.

How has Islam been removed from Turkish people's lives?

When I say removed from people's lives, what i mean is that Islam is no longer the system which governs their lives. A large % of the laws in Islam involve societal interaction, trade, social transactions, crminal laws and punishments etc. When the Caliphate was abolished and replaced with a secular state Islam as a system was ripped from the people. Islam is not a spiritual movement like Christianity, that has nothing to do with the society and government. Islam is a system of society and government. When you strip those things away, you're not really left with much Islam. Do you think is just 5 pillars?

have you ever been to Turkey?

I have not, but I truly hope to some day. One day I will stopover when I am in the Middle East, insha'allah, and get a chance to see the great Islamic architectures. I especially want to visit Topkapi Palace, which is a museum now I believe? And Aya Sofia, which unfortunately has been turned from a Masjid into a Museum also (something which would never happen if Islam were still in Anatolia).

go and see if Islam has been removed, you'll be quite suprised, it never was and never has, even nationalist slogans go as "Bayrak inmez, Ezan Dinmez, Vatan Bolunmez", The flag shall never fall, the EZAN shall never stop and the country will never be divided

Turkish Azan you mean? Or is it allowed in Arabic now?

Anyway, just hearing the Azan 5 times aday doesn't mean Islam is there. This is a very shallow understanding of what Islam is, if you think just hearing someone recite something is Islam.

Islam has a place in the Turkish identity and was never forceblly "removed" as you put it.

Islam is not something you can just "fit" into your identity as it suits you. Islam is something you mould yourself to fit into. If anything all you did was confirm my statement of how Islam has been removed from people's lives in Turkey (and all the world for that matter).

And a large proportion of Turkish muslims are "Alevi" which are close to Shi'a, they won't agree with being ruled by Sunni Caliphate

This is the most pathetic reason you've come up with so far to avoid returning to the Islamic way of life.

They were ruled by Sunni Caliphate for about 700 years (perhaps more), did you forget this???

Our people's religion and language are two great virtues, nobody has the power to take these from our hearts nobdy has and ever will be able to do so

This just confirms his secular ideals of locking religion in people's hearts and not letting it rule society. This is what secularism means!!!

Islam is needed, athiest nations do not survive for long. Religion is between Allah and the believer (mumin)

Again, another secular ideal, religion is between you and God, don't let it run the affairs of the society. This is the essence of secularism.

This view is totally incorrect, they want to keep muslims backwards so that Kaffir's can control and rule us

This is rich coming from the man who handed over half of the Islamic lands to the Kuffar so he could keep Anatolia.

Also many of the things which are often criticised about Turkey like the Head-scarf issue were only created in the 50's,late 40's after AtaTurk's death by Ismet Inonu

We've already mentioned the Language, how about the holidays? How about the forced Azan in Turkish etc? Or the banning of Islamic political parties??? The banning of Islamic Hats??? (This is just crazy, but even crazier is the infamous hat riots of the late 1920's and the 3 month prison term just for wearing one) Were these all post Kemal? (btw, I don't know the answer, I'm asking you).

Also, as far as I'm aware the anti-Fez law also included the anti-Hijab law also, are you sure it wasn't banned until the 1950's???

Btw, are Turks allowed to wear Fezzes today?? (assuming they wanted to)?

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 04:32
We've already mentioned the Language, how about the holidays? How about the forced Azan in Turkish etc? Or the banning of Islamic political parties??? The banning of Islamic Hats??? (This is just crazy, but even crazier is the infamous hat riots of the late 1920's and the 3 month prison term just for wearing one) Were these all post Kemal? (btw, I don't know the answer, I'm asking you).

Also, as far as I'm aware the anti-Fez law also included the anti-Hijab law also, are you sure it wasn't banned until the 1950's???

Banning the fez, hijab and changing the script of turkish has got to go down as some of the stupidist laws in history.
Whats this about the Azan in Turkish?
Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:15
Omar,

Why isn't hereditery succession permissable?

Selection of a Khalifah is open to the Muslim Ummah to decide, not for one person to force his son upon the Ummah. Also, there's conditions for a Khaleefah to assume office, so if the previous Khaleefah's son did not fulfil those conditions, then how could he be thrust upon the Ummah?

Lastly, it's not the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) nor was it the Sunnah of Abu Bakr, Omar, Uthman or Ali (ra). Although Ali's son Hassan (ra) was appointed Khaleefah after him, this wasn't a hereditery succession. And who better do we have as examples than these 5 human beings?

Redirecting you to two of Seko's posts

I read through the first of Seko's posts you quoted, but I couldn't see any mention of 5 prayers. Note the number 5 here, I don't doubt prayer itself is mentioned clearly in the Qur'an, but the number of 5 comes especially from a certain hadith, and is not mentioned in the Qur'an.

I am not reducing it to voluntary. Until you said that I had assumed it was a universally accepted opinion

The only universally accepted opinion I know of is that the Sunnah must be accepted (except the Shi'a who have their own Hadith collectinos). This was the opinion of almost every single classical scholar i've heard of from the time of the Sahabah (ra) until the last 50 or so years, when deviant groups began to spring up claiming the sunnah shouldn't be followed. For 1400 years our Ummah almost unanimously agreed upon this.

I will point out that it is impossible to follow all strong hadieses literally, as some contradict

You seem so certain about this... Do you have an example?

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:31
at past, It was turkish, but later changed arabic back.

Changing script is not a big crime, a lot country and people changed their script.

is it necessary? that is another question. I think It was not. Latin alphabet did not helped us, like arabic alphabet not harmed us.

Qutuz View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Qutuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:56

Yes it was banned in Arabic, and it was forced to be read in Turkish. I also read somewhere that Kemal wanted to install rows of seats in all mosques, as sitting on the floor was "uncivilised", and also to replace the Azan altogether by a piano player, perhaps like the Christians have an organ player? But he cancelled these ideas when someone advised him he was going too far and the Muslims might revolt. But I'm not sure how true these stories are.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 07:05
Not only was the Azan turned to Turkish (which is not allowed in Islam), but the public Azan (from the minarets) was also banned.

Those here that claim to love and know every detail of Mustafa Kemal, should know that the Azan (Ezan) was banned by him in 1932. Our minarets were silent for 18 years untill finally Turkey gained its first taste of true democracy when the Democrat Party won the elections in May 1950. This election was a clear attack on the establishment which created the Republic of Turkey, which is evident by the 408 seats won out of the 487 seats.

The Caliphate should never have been destroyed. The changing of the Caliph is up to the Ulema. The destruction of the Caliphate is not an option. Islamic its wrong and since the majority of Anatolia (inc. rest of the Islamic world) supported the Caliphate is was also democratically wrong (thus proving that democracy is not right for Turkey). If Mustafa Kemal did not want a Caliphate he should have passed it on to either the Arabs or the Muslim Indian, both were trying to establish the Caliphate after its demise. The Muslim Indians would have been a better option since the Arabs were too nationalistic thus they were looking for a Islamic Arab Caliphate Dead

Those looking for İslamic evidence for the Caliphate are perhaps trying to bend around the obvious fact that it is a true need. Since it has been going on since the time of the Khilafa ur-Rashidin who by themselves inherited the honour from the final prophet Muhammad (PBUH). If more sources are neede then read the folowing:

(Trke)
"Sizden hayra davet eden, marufu emreden, mnkerden nehyeden bir mmet (topluluk) bulunsun. İşte onlar kurtuluşa erenlerin ta kendileridir." (Ali İmran 104)

(İngilizce)
And hold fast, all of you together, to the cable of Allah, and do not separate. And remember Allah's favour unto you: How ye were enemies and He made friendship between your hearts so that ye became as brothers by His grace; and (how) ye were upon the brink of an abyss of fire, and He did save you from it. Thus Allah maketh clear His revelations unto you, that haply ye may be guided, And there may spring from you a nation who invite to goodness, and enjoin right conduct and forbid indecency. Such are they who are successful.

The above verse indicates the importance for a Ummah union.
The verse below indicates the rulership type:

In Sahih al-Muslim, one of the strongest Hadith it states:
إنّمَا الاِمَامُ جُنّةٌ يُقَاتَلُ مِنْ وَرَائِهِ وَيُتّقَى بِهِ
Indeed, only the Khaleefah (Caliph) is a shield, from behind whom the Muslims fight and by whom the Muslims are protected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>