Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who are Turks? The current people in Anatolia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who are Turks? The current people in Anatolia?
    Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 12:15
THANKS IF YOU WANT KNOW MORE ABOUT MY CUMMUNITY THE SITE IS OZTURKLER TURK TURAN TARIHI GO TO TURKISH COMMUNITIES AND THE TOPIC KHAZAR AND KARAY PEOPLE  AND THANKS ABOUT THE  ADVICE
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 12:17
AND NICE TO MEET YOU TURK KARDES
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 02:05
KARDESIM I  NEW HERE AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD LINKS I BE  GLAD IF  YOU CAN EXPLAIN HOW UPLOAD LINK I HAVE MUCH INFORMATION AND I WANT SHARE WITH THE FORUM .IMPORTANT TO THAT PEOPLE AND ESPECIALLY MY TURKS BROTHER TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT KHAZAR PEOPLE .
THANKS TESEKUR EDERIM
JuMong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JuMong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 21:15
It seems one of the main problems with the Turkic people maybe related to the lack of written records. Often times, Turkic people themselves have a hard time trying to understand or define who they are as this thread indicates, as their history is often written or defined by foreigners.

Getting back on topic about the Anatolian Turks, which this thread started with, who are an interesting group.  The Etruscans of Italy are suppose to be related to the Anatolian Turks. These two groups, the Etruscans and Anatolian Turks would go on to forge two of the mightiest Empires of Mediterranean region, the Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire.  Something that I find quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruscan_civilization

P.S.

No, Chinese are not nice people when it comes to the treatment of the Turks. I do understand this anti-Chinese sentiments.

Edited by JuMong - 18-Sep-2007 at 21:23
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 07:08
^if there is any link at all it would most likely be from teh native anatolians wixh the CA Turks have mixed with.

The Etruscans might have migrated from Anatolia

but there is a verry verry slim chance that Romans and CA Turks are related. More like non(well where all related at some point) imo
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 21:32
This is a confusing topic,I had a friend from Azerbaijan ,  he asked me first to refer to people from that area as Azeri people (because he said they were originaly aryans who speak Turkish) but after a few years he changed his mind and asked me to call them Turks and not Azeri and he started talking about Sumerians,Elamite and even American indians were Turks and he had a cospiracy theory that western scholars has revised the history of the world to stop a union of Turks in the world.But I have not been able to find anything about Turks in Mesopotamian sources or even Greek sources as an ancient civilisation.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 01:23
Getting back on topic about the Anatolian Turks, which this thread started with, who are an interesting group.  The Etruscans of Italy are suppose to be related to the Anatolian Turks. These two groups, the Etruscans and Anatolian Turks would go on to forge two of the mightiest Empires of Mediterranean region, the Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire.  Something that I find quite interesting.
At this point wouldn't they just be Anatolian peoples and not Turks? Also, besides the fact that the origins of the Etruscans is still up in the air, they did not found the Roman Empire or civlization. They had power over it, but the Romans were Latins and saw themselves different from Estruscans from what I've read. They have adopted things from their culture, but if your going to call the Romans Etrscan, then you mind as well call them Guals, Iberians, Greeks etc... as they had adopted alot from other cultures.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 19:42
No, Etruscans are not Turks, there was no Turks when Etruscans existed. We do have little information on Hunnic states inside China dating to those times.

Azeris are Turks, culturally, and genetically they are Turks unfer 60%, which still does not make us not to be Turks. We are not Aryan, we have never been Aryan, nor we are related to Aryan - aryan is Indo European. There are several tribes and ethnic minorities in azerbaijan having Iraninan background, and they speak the language close to Persian (Talish, Tat), and some native Caucasians as well, but they make no more than 15% alltogether.
There were no Turks in mesopotamia in Archaic history, except, if if refer Scythians (some of them perhaps) as ancestors of Huns or Turks, then relatively you can say our first migration to caucasus was at 7 BC., but this is not sure of course.
Turks in anatolia are of Oguz, as we do, especially Qininq, Bayat tribes.

Now, I am really discussed of those irony that Persians, Greeks, some Westerners keep using towards us. Please dont.

History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 18:46

Now, I am really discussed of those irony that Persians, Greeks, some Westerners keep using towards us. Please dont.

I thought that the idea with a discussion forum was  realy to discuss the subject and my intention is not to offend anyone.If people in middle east can not talk about the history of the area they wont have a good future.
I respect all cultures,traditions and religions but I believe that extremists are and have allways been a  threat  to  development of societies,so what is wrong with  it if  I  ask you to forward your evidence about Turks being present in Near East during 7 th centtury B.C(specially in Azerbaijan),please note that I am not claiming that they have not been there I am just asking for historical evidence

Edited by Babak - 15-Nov-2007 at 18:52
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 00:21
He was referring to the Scythians, being a steppe people made up of many tribes there is the likelihood that there were some Turkic tribes among them, especially considering interraction with the Altay region.

Therefore in theory, there is a possibility that some Turk made it to the Near East in that period.

The main Turkic pressence began with the Westward migration of Turkic peoples during the Hunnic periods, later the Khazars and the most influential of Turks in the Near East, the Oghuz.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 20:40
Kerimoğlu,Don't forget kayı's too;)
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 07:56
Of cource, yeah. 
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
ancalimon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ancalimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2010 at 16:24
Turks in Anatolia are the ProtoTurks that got into a social feud with the people who later called themselves Turks (a couple of thousand years later) These ProtoTurks (who were barbarians) migrated to Anatolia after they were defeated by the people who called themselves Turks. (and many many other parts of the world) and created civilizations together with the savages that were living there. The Proto-Turks who got into a social feud with their brothers and sisters choose to worship gods of the underearth and overearth, while the people who later called themselves Turks kept the Tengri philophy and the Middle Earth philosophy.

Much later in history during another migration (which history calls the "Great Migration" or "The Migration of Nations"), the Turks came to Anatolia and almost all of the East Roman army switched to the sides of the Turks during the Manzikert campaign and Turks won the war without a fight. Then Anatolia became totally Turkish and their influence made the Balkans totally Turkish lands until the the collapse of Ottoman Empire.

The problem is the second wave of migrations was very small when compared to the first waves of migrations.
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2010 at 16:28
According to Turkish scientists, Turks have always lived in Anatolia, so why all this fuss ?
superhorn View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote superhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 15:44
  Hello ! I'm new here. I an American Jew  whose grandparents came from Ukraine,and I could quite possibly have some Turkic blood in me. I don't look  the least bit Semitic. I have a wide round face with prominent cheekbones, and brown hair and green eyes. Some people have even said I look rather asiatic.
   Over a thousand years ago,as you may know, a now extinct Turkic people called the Khazars converted to Judaism.
thewayoftruth View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote thewayoftruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2011 at 06:57
I am sorry for opening this realy old discussion but as a qashqai I wanted to tell that we are not turks. Many of us know turkish language and can speak it but we are not turks and we prefer to talk Farsi in our homes. I dont know whoever in this discussion called qashqais turks but it was just as saying that earth is flat. Unfortunately many pan-turk endorsers have been trying to ruin our iranian identity, by spreading lies of us even though we qashqais just as azeris are proud to be iranian as much as we are proud to be what we are in tribal sense.
Tartapple View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tartapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2012 at 13:47
So what happened to all the Byzantium and Greek and Persian Conquest in that region?  Didn't they leave any people behind?  Weren't they the first occupants of today's' Turkey and then mixed with the mongols later?
tartilyn
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2012 at 13:54
This about  "Proto-Turks" is a politicaly driven pseudo science. The Turks came in Anatolia in 13 century and Turkefied the lingistically and culturally, while became ethnically assimilated by them. The modern Turks have like only 12% or so centra Asian genes, everything else is Mediterranian, heratige from the millenia mixing of whoever lived in the area, from Frygians to Greeks and Romans.

That's why one can see mighty European and devilishly good-looking Turks, with Roman hoses etc. There are, IMHO,  2 distinctive phenotypes there
- very Turkish type - darker, big-nosed, short and stocky bodies, some with very lightly slanted eys
- and Mediterranean tyoe - lighter, symmetric features, high cheeckbones, Roman noses, taller and wider in shoulders.
There are very light-skinned Turks too, interestingly mostly women.

Edited by Don Quixote - 23-Oct-2012 at 14:09
ancalimon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ancalimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2012 at 02:41
Proto-Turk is the name given to the people who are cultural ancestors of Turks.

It's as much politically driven pseudo science as what Proto-Indo-European is.

There is no such a thing called "very Turkish type" because there is no defined Turkish type. The concept of race did not exist among the Tur people. The only people that tried to define how a Turk should look like were usually racist people who I mostly despise. That's why both Indo-Europeans and Turks had the same Tur ancestors in Central Asia. General Eurocentric science put Turks in Central Asia calling it their homeland. Then they put Indop-European there before Turks removing Turkic presence from there. This is where the fallacy begins.

So no. There is no such a thing as a "very Turkish type. Even if there is, Turks are not dark, big nosed, short, stocky people. Actually records of Chinese chroniclers speak of Turks as blond people with blue eyes; not that it would mean anything because there were all kinds of Turks.

The thing about Anatolia is that the Turks that migrated to Anatolia after 10th century did not contribute at all to the genetic makeup of Anatolia. Turkic language was not forced on these people either so it's either that these people forced the language on themselves or there was a huge repressed Turkic population before 10th century.

The more you move east, the more Turks look like Asian people. Because people mix. At this point it's impossible to say that Turks were not a repressed people in Anatolia 2000 years ago; meaning we can never be sure.

Edited by ancalimon - 04-Nov-2012 at 02:50
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2013 at 23:48

Semitic people mixed with Indo Aryans.

I wont comment on the present population and its central Asian connections. But way back in the 3rd millenium BCE , the original inhabitants of Anatolia would be Semitic tribes.

Edited by SuryaVajra - 13-Jun-2013 at 02:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>