Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if India had embraced America?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if India had embraced America?
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 14:03

SURJIT S. BHALLA

[/quote]

continued.........

Edited by warlord - 10-Jun-2008 at 11:27
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 14:04
We pride ourselves in being secular and heterogeneous; the Americans, like us, believe that religion is a private affair and heterogeneity is the spice of life, ...........

Surjit Bhalla is the author of Imagine There�s no Country.

Edited by warlord - 11-Jun-2008 at 06:35
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 18:09

I totally 100% agree, if theres anythign the last 50 years should have taught us, its that planned economies do not develop nations in the globalized market.

When I am president I will welcome my new ally India

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 21:31

Hopefully India can put that in the past and learn their lessons as they move into this new millenium.

I would love to see America help in this, so we can both defeat our common enemy, the Chinese.

Member of IAEA
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 05:08
planned economies could, but only if they had a strong leader, and and population behind him/her.

true, the planned economy idea can be blamed, but i blame nehru more. he made us look like idiots by trying to rewite our histry as more pacifist, and his pacifist approach really made india weaker in the middle part of last centuary.
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 01:36
x

Edited by warlord - 04-Jun-2008 at 12:04
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 01:38
Originally posted by Genghis

I would love to see America help in this, so we can both defeat our common enemy, the Chinese.

China is not an enemy as such. China, India and America are competitive rivals, not enemies.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 21:02
In a world war involving the U.S. vs. Muslims, i see India on the side of the States.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 09:45
considering a large percentage of indians are muslim i doubt we'd go to war with them.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 09:50
Depends on Pakistan. If the current Pakistani government will be overthrown by Islamic Fundamentalists India will side with the US. But if Pakistan remains a US ally I don't think India will go into such a war at all.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 16:11
India's been to war with pakistan many times while they have been US allies. Also, i doubt the USA will stop being Pakistan's ally, it's like they have an immunity against US foriegn policy or something.

example: in the 9/11 report that was published Pakistan's  name popped up quite a few nubmer of times more than iraq and afganistan, but do i see a US oppucation force in Pakistan now? no.

(btw i'm not anti-pakistani, i have a few friends from the country)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 16:16
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

India's been to war with pakistan many times while they have been US allies. Also, i doubt the USA will stop being Pakistan's ally, it's like they have an immunity against US foriegn policy or something.

I don't think the current government will loose US support, but IMO their is a fair chance that sooner or later Taliban-style Islamic Fundamentalists will overthrow the government. I don't think such a Fundamentalist government will be very likely to be a US ally.
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 10:22

AFAIK, its only the western parts of the country that seems very religious (in the bad way), most of Pakistan seems pretty modern, and well educated.

...besides, they play cricket, so they cant all be bad.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 15:57
Originally posted by John Doe

AFAIK, its only the western parts of the country that seems very religious (in the bad way), most of Pakistan seems pretty modern, and well educated.

...besides, they play cricket, so they cant all be bad.

tru.....and u guys narrowly beat them at cricket as well, so that makes them all the better

it all depends on which part of the country u look at. some parts of any country are modern..

Imo it's both the eastern borders and western borders which are extremely religious. You see, in the indian border with pakistan now, in pakistani controlled kasmir, there are now many foriegn fighters, and also there are schools dedicated to make sure that the child know's about islam. nothing wrong with that. but a few have been known to harbour terrorists.

warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 03:20

Whether India would support the US or not depends on which party rules India.

Edited by warlord - 14-Jun-2008 at 09:16
 Post Reply Post Reply