Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do Uygur Turks have martial arts styles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
kman123 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kman123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Uygur Turks have martial arts styles?
    Posted: 08-Dec-2009 at 16:19
I think generally most Turkic people have had some sort of wrestling style for martial arts. Like yagli gures in Turkey or kurash in Uzbekistan. I'm sure Uygurs have something similar. I think martial arts as we commonly know it is more of an oriental thing. Check out some Hui (Chinese Muslim) traditional martial arts, it's very interesting although I wouldn't know if it's practiced at all among Central Asians.
ShatuoxTurk View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ShatuoxTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2010 at 16:15
Originally posted by Sarmat

Everybody had its own martial styles.

Nevertheless, MMA competitions showed uselessness of "Traditional Oriental Martial Arts". Classical boxing and wrestling are much more deadly.

Different wrestling styles which existed among Turkic nomades IMO were far more effective than so called "Chinese Martial Arts."

BTW, Turkic wrestling styles, for example Kazakh and  Uzbek "kuresh" was used for the creation of the arguably best MA in the world "Russian sambo"

The basic technic of the best MMA fighter in the world Fedor Emelianenko is "Sambo", not fancy kung-fu or taekwondo which are totally useless in a real fight.

The founders of Sambo were Vasili Oshchepkov (who was executed under the orders of Stalin during the political purges of 1937 for refusing to deny his education in judo under its founder Kano Jigoro) and Viktor Spiridonov. Sad thing is Vasili died for not renouncing his education in Judo which is 80% of his Sambo techniques comes from. FACT!

Brazilan Jiujitsu- a variation of Judo which still uses the Gi and Black rank and every technique
                           Judo ever had before the 1924 judo rule change. Still oriental

Former and currect MMA champs who are known Karate-kas

Lyoto Machida is the current UFC lightheavyweight champion with an unblemished record. In contrary to the large percentage of the fighters using the aforementioned four disciplines as their base, Machida has practiced Karate all his life. Born to a Shotokan Karate master, Lyoto Machida started Karate at a young age and its elusive fighting style was engrained into his fighting strategy.

Chuck Liddell is Karate embodied in MMA - the chambered punches, the dropping of the hands, the snap kicks. Liddell began studying Koei-Kan karate at the age of 12; the tattoo that can be seen on his scalp reads "Koei-Kan" in Kanji. He went on to gain his Black Belt and win a national championship title in that same style. Later in his career he met up with a former professional kickboxer by the name of John "The Train" Hackleman. Chuck went to John's dojo called the "The Pit" in the hills of Arroyo Grande, CA and was introduced to the art of Kajukenbo or Hawaiian Kempo-Karate. His training here led him to become a North American Champion for the IKF, WKA, WKC and the USMTA.

Petruzelli as a member of “The Ultimate Fighter 2” whom landed a beautiful jumping spin kick on his much larger and taller opponent Dan ‘The Sandman' ChristisonStarting at the age of 6 in Shito-Ryu Karate, he went on to win the US Full Contact Kumite Karate championship & the World Team Kumite Championship.In 2004 he was on the receiving end of a controversial K-1 kickboxing loss to the 350 pound monster Bob Sapp, even dropping ‘the Beast’ with a well placed right at one point during the match.Although he has suffered 2 losses in the UFC since his stint on ‘TUF’ he’s managed to string some wins in both MMA and Kick-boxing. At 28 years old, he is no journeyman and you can expect he will be a force to come in the light heavyweight division.

Jeff ‘the Inferno’ Joslin is a UFC veteran, the current APEX weltwerweight champion and son of Canadian karate legend Rick Joslin. Utilizing the striking skills he has earned as a 4th degree black belt in Wado Ryu Karate he strung together 4 consecutive wins early in his career before losing to now UFC welterweight stand-out Jon Fitch.Joslin continued on to win the APEX welterweight title and gained a UFC debut; unfortunately dropping a unanimous decision to a much more talented wrestler but less rounded fighter in Josh Koscheck.

Guy Mezger holds wins over Tito Ortiz, Masakatsu Funaki, Yuki Kondo and Egan Inoue. He has suffered controversial losses to the likes of Ricardo Arona, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Kazushi Sakuraba and competed in all-out wars with Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva – dropping both men at one point in their respective matches.Guy Mezger is a 3x Texas State Karate Champion, 3x WFKL Karate Champion and a 2x U.S.K.A. Heavyweight Champion. Through competing in the UFC, Pride FC and Pancrase fighting organizations and displaying an exciting karate-orientated striking style Mezger has garnered a large fan base as a journeyman of the sport. Unfortunately Mezger suffered a stroke late 2003 and was forced to retire as a competitor.

Takanori Gomi ‘The Fireball Kid’ has attributed his striking accuracy and power or "****ing Hadouken Punch", as the eloquent Dick Diaz has stated, to training in Mushinjuku Karate.  It's this unorthodox style of karate that has helped Gomi to rack up 9 top 100 wins in the last 3 years aloneMushinjuku Karate emphasizes the conditionong of hands for hand power and to stop the breaking the bones.  Chambered power punches are relied on heavily in this system or Karate and Gomi is widely regarded as the hardest puncher at lightweight.

Ranked number two in our lightweight division, Gomi has definately helped to put Karate on the Map of Mixed martial arts.

Georges St. Pierre, known to his fans as GSP, started learning Kyokushin Karate at age six to defend himself against a school bully. Kyokushin is commonly deemed the most effective form of Karate. Created by Mas Oyama, Kyokushin taught a curriculum that emphasized full-contact, physical toughness, and practical application of traditional karate techniques. This style of Karate allows bare knuckle full-contact fights with punches to the body (originally punches to the head were permitted) with knees and punches allowed to land on the both the body and head.

Judo champs in MMA former and current champs

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou:
Sokoudjou was the 2001 U.S. Open Judo Champion. In other words, he's an outstanding judo practitioner. What's more, he took the MMA world by storm with consecutive knockout wins over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Ricardo Arona to gain notice.
Yoshihiro Akiyama As an MMA fighter Akiyama has also been excellent. First, he holds an overall MMA record of 10-1. Second, he's beaten upper level fighters like Denis Kang and Melvin Manhoef and regularly takes opponents down in strong judo fashion.
1. Karo Parisyan: Parisyan's overall MMA record of 18-5 tells part of the story on him. Victories over Josh Burkman, Drew Fickett, Ryo Chonan, Matt Serra, Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle, and Shonie Carter say a lot of the rest.

T.K- a early UFC and Pride Judo fighter who is the only man to beat Fedor...lol

CUNG LE - 6-1 with 5 KOs is a Vietnamese Sanshou champ and former
                    Strike force middle weight champ in MMA-
                    uses taekwondo kicks and San Shou takedowns
                    Trains in only traditonal styles and BJJ
ect ect ect...
Oh and everyone in MMA practises MUAY THAI as a must know system
and as you know MUAY THAI is a traditional Oriental system over 800 yrs old
from Thailand.

Traditonal martial arts are useless?? There sure are alot of champions whos doing it.
Even Victor belfort just earned his blue belt in karate look that up! lol
Your comment was ignorant- I beleive Modern MMA is more effective
But that doesnt make the traditional styles useless, kuz if it was there wouldnt be 5 of the currect top ten fighters in MMA are traditional based arts with BJJ or wrestling for the ground.
Anderson Silva-muay thai
Machida-karate
George st pire-karate
Fedor-sambo/judo
Muricio Rua-muay thai

MMA means mixed martial arts buddy, you can use any combination of ARTS.
without the traditional arts theres no modern ones. And Classical Boxing is not
MODERN BOXING........LMAO go look at boxing from the before the 20th century
there style was completely different.
Turkic and Mongol wrestling has no GROUND fighting just throws and trips to win the bout.
Actual grappling like subs and locks in MMA come mostly from BJJ VIA JUDO and jujutsu and oriental style! wreslting is used mainly for takedown and control. =]

Show us one modern MMA bout where someone doesnt do a round house kick,knee,elbow or jujutsu submission? Boxing and wreslting is a major factor but no "boxer" has won a MMA title, wrestlers have in the past but not so much now.

Number one combination for MMA champions is Muay thai/Jujutsu which are oriental styles.
Cry

Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2010 at 08:59
Every nation that had had any significant history of fighting would have had some form of martial art or other. It just stands to reason.

The only difference being some nations maybe have done a better job than others at documenting how their ancestors fought.
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2010 at 09:11
Originally posted by ShatuoxTurk

Oh and everyone in MMA practises MUAY THAI as a must know system
and as you know MUAY THAI is a traditional Oriental system over 800 yrs old
from Thailand.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe not so many people know this, but Muay Thai was actually adopted by the Thais from the kickboxing arts of their neighbours, the Burmese (Lethawei = Burmese kickboxing) and the Khmer Cambodians (Boran = Khmer Cambodian kickboxing).

Burma and Khmer Cambodia being much older kingdoms (by over a thousand years) than the earliest Thai kingdoms in South East Asia.

While the Burmese Lethawei was itself, in turn, adopted from Mukkti Yudha, the kickboxing art of Magadha and Bengal kingdoms in ancient northern India.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 20:09
Who really knows? The French claim foot boxing? It is called, I believe "savate'"

So, truely, the Turks, had to have a particular style? The French / Franks were surely A-holes!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 21:29
When you research the personal history of Jean-Claude van Damme, the Belgian-Flemish Hollywood karate actor, you can't find his name among the recorded list of European karate champions, which he said he was, one time.

The reason is, he said, his real name was Jean-Claude van Varenger, or something like that. The surname 'van Damme' was, therefore, one he adopted from a past French savate champion. His name was ... Jean-Claude van Damme.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 21:51
Yes, so I have read! laugh!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 03:03
But I love JCVD's movies though. His best was, for me, the futuristic, excellently surreal 'Cyborg'. Even if it wasn't considered so by many.
Blood and Suicide View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Blood and Suicide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 09:05
steppe peoples of martial arts is not wrestling, do not say wrestling, martial arts is not is a sport, in recent days Sayokan something called out, although the martial art of kung-fu and taekwondo's mixture made up something that was understood,Steppe's death penalty is everything

Edited by Blood and Suicide - 10-Sep-2010 at 09:06
DO NOT SCORN A WEAK CUB HE MAY BECOME THE BRUTAL TIGER
Maximus Germanicus I View Drop Down
Knight
Knight
Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 07:54
Originally posted by Sarmat

Everybody had its own martial styles.

Nevertheless, MMA competitions showed uselessness of "Traditional Oriental Martial Arts". Classical boxing and wrestling are much more deadly.

Different wrestling styles which existed among Turkic nomades IMO were far more effective than so called "Chinese Martial Arts."

BTW, Turkic wrestling styles, for example Kazakh and  Uzbek "kuresh" was used for the creation of the arguably best MA in the world "Russian sambo"

The basic technic of the best MMA fighter in the world Fedor Emelianenko is "Sambo", not fancy kung-fu or taekwondo which are totally useless in a real fight.

The turks as well as the Persians were famous for wrestling

BTW I like Fedor--but he isn't the best right now--Maybe 2 years ago
charles1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote charles1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2011 at 18:47
Sir,you sound very informed on the subject of fighting unarmed.Have you done any?I don't mean cage fighting,I mean unrefereed,for real type fighting as an adult?If so,what "style"did you use and how'd it go?In fact I'm thinking you must of had a lot of street fights,right?Still get in them too.
man2rk View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote man2rk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 12:18
in present days the uighurs are still playing martial arts on grand chinese martial combat stages. this guy is ane of them here http://www.56.com/u45/v_NTQ0NDgzNjI.htmlLOL
History is something that victors write on the back of losers.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 12:50
Understood not a single word but the fight was great.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

jafflen View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote jafflen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 03:52
Agree. well-grounded argumentation made me think seriously  over this question
tarek_kaplan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tarek_kaplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 04:03
I want to tell something about this topic, also if the last communication was years ago :)
Uygur Turks and also other Turks was warrior and the important think ist, that they was nomad, so there was not any shool to learn to fight or be a warrior like the chinese or other people which lives in place like city etc... nomad lives in the natur like shaman in usa. they was good hunter and was working very hard. this makes the peoples strong, with a lot of condition, good hors rider, catcher etc... this live builds a people which was born to be fight. they have a lot of natural instinct like animals, strong like a bear, fast like a panther (or a kaplan like me :)))
i think, every body knows what i want to tell. the old turks from xiung-nu was not a soldiar, it was one man fighter, which comes together to fight which china, or with togeter (crazy but it's true). this is the casue, why the histroy of the turk peoples does not have any sorces of martial arts like books or sript ect...
at this time, there is a lot of turkish martial arts builded from turkey... like sanyokan etc... but all of this builds to japanes or chinese martial arts technique or it's a fiction with some strange inventions. the martial arts of turks are wresting, and this come in different stil, with oel or what ever.
you meet here about the martial arts name AMAROK. this is the only one, which is build on the reallity of old turk, because there is no documents about old turks fighting sistem.
at first, AMAROK is not ata mengü arzak oguz köresi.... it's alpagutnung mengü azrak oguz köresi. i want to translate it... alpagut is an old warrior, which was a one man armee which i told before. mengü is forever or better to say deathlessly... az rak is very rare... oghuz means not the oghuz turks... oghuz was also in the old turks mitology a GOD... köresi is wrestling or in the old language it means fighting... so oghuz köresi is the martial arts of god oghuz.

this is the right translation of AMAROK and the founder of this martial arts system is Grandmaster Hakan Haslaman, which have build this sistem at the year of 1995. you can check this on his website www.amarok.net

i meet with him last month and he told me that all. i think it makes a lot of sense which have also seriosity like other turks fighting.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 15:23
I read on one site of a martial art called Chi-li-shish which is a type of wrestling. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 19:34
Is that the one where the wrestlers wear leather pants and are soaked in olive oil?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2012 at 06:20
Originally posted by Nick1986

Is that the one where the wrestlers wear leather pants and are soaked in olive oil?
For what I can find it's a kind of belt wrestling, and there's no oil in sight. Another way of spelling it is, Qielixi.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 19:31
Forgive my ignorance, but what is belt wrestling?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by Nick1986

Forgive my ignorance, but what is belt wrestling?
This isn't Uygur Turks doing belt wresting, I couldn't find a clip but it does show belt wresting.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 23-Jan-2012 at 12:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>