Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do Uygur Turks have martial arts styles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Uygur Turks have martial arts styles?
    Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 17:17
Its something I always wondered about, do Uygur Turks have their own martial arts styles?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 20:19
martial cavalry arts like horse archery but not sure of any Kung fu style types
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 04:27
i propose you this book

''Uygur karızlarına yolculuk'' kaynak yayınları by Dursun ZDEN

you can find a lot of things about Uighur Trk Civilization in tihs book
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 17:50
I dont know for Uygur Turks but Bulgars had martial arts.But exactly in this moment i have no idea what is its name.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 10:03

No, we don't have martial art, maybe we used to have in the history, I've never heard of this.

BTW, Is there any need for that, while it is not practical?
Either make a history or become a history.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 13:01
wrestling is allso considered a form of martial art
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 04:02
Originally posted by Krum

I dont know for Uygur Turks but Bulgars had martial arts.But exactly in this moment i have no idea what is its name.

The Bulgars had a martial art?  That's fascinating!  Please tell us more, if you can.
Be brave and answer me.
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 15:27
I only know "Sayokan" it is a Seljuk martial art.
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 17:10

what is Sayokan ?

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 18:29
Its based upon an old Turkic martial arts which apparently exist in Chinease records where they recorded that some Turkic communities had "Alp"/"Alplik" schools where it was taught and developed. I think they were Buddhist or Tengrist in that era.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:29
Originally posted by xi_tujue

wrestling is allso considered a form of martial art

Then, it is very popular among Uyghurs.

Either make a history or become a history.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:24
among all the turks and everybody else
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:25
among all the turks and everybody else
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 13:19
http://www.sayokan.co.uk/

http://www.sayokankaradeniz.com/

And there are a few more sites too.  Not sure on the history but it's to be fairly recent.

Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by Krum

Bu-Vei
the original is an eastern roman drawing

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 10:15
Everybody had its own martial styles.

Nevertheless, MMA competitions showed uselessness of "Traditional Oriental Martial Arts". Classical boxing and wrestling are much more deadly.

Different wrestling styles which existed among Turkic nomades IMO were far more effective than so called "Chinese Martial Arts."

BTW, Turkic wrestling styles, for example Kazakh and  Uzbek "kuresh" was used for the creation of the arguably best MA in the world "Russian sambo"

The basic technic of the best MMA fighter in the world Fedor Emelianenko is "Sambo", not fancy kung-fu or taekwondo which are totally useless in a real fight.

Σαυρομάτης
Timbol View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Timbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 00:08
I know Russia created a martial art during the middle ages called Systema (still practiced today) which is very open ended to deal with different fighting styles of the surrounding peoples. I know Russia isn't considered a steppe nation, but since they used Systema to fight against steppe peoples they might have something similar.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 12:12
Originally posted by Timbol

I know Russia created a martial art during the middle ages called Systema (still practiced today) which is very open ended to deal with different fighting styles of the surrounding peoples. I know Russia isn't considered a steppe nation, but since they used Systema to fight against steppe peoples they might have something similar.

Russians didn't have any "systema" in the middle ages. "Systema" is just a crap invented by some tricky Russians to cheat other people's money.

Moreover, this "systema" is totally ineffective and artificial BS. A kind of very poor imitation of Chinese MA.

Russians fought nomades with bows, arrows and swords.
Σαυρομάτης
Timbol View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Timbol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Timbol

Russians didn't have any "systema" in the middle ages. "Systema" is just a crap invented by some tricky Russians to cheat other people's money.

Moreover, this "systema" is totally ineffective and artificial BS. A kind of very poor imitation of Chinese MA.

Russians fought nomades with bows, arrows and swords.

There is a lot of controversy on the topic of systema and maybe I shouldn't have brought it up. Almost all of the medieval warrior classes had a way to fight while unarmed because as much as they liked it, they DID get disarmed in combat, or on occasion caught off guard. The samurai had aikedo (SP?) and the western European knights had a system of their own which may have a name but it is a form of grappling. Think what you wish but I think systema is effective, more so in this modern age for self defense.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 00:18
Of course medieval warriors sometimes had to fight unarmed. Of course Russian had their own martial style in the Middle Ages. However, no reliable sources on this martial style survived.

People who they say that they know "ancient Russian martial style" are nothing more than cheap liars.

In order to evaluate the effectiveness of a fighting style look at Mixed Martial style competitions.

Who is represented there? Wrestlers, Boxers, Kick Boxers, Thai Boxers, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and Sambo practitioners.

There are no Aikido or Systema practitioners.

Effectiveness of MMA styles is proved in hundreds of documented fights. What is the proof of Systema effectiveness ?

Systema is nothing more than BS. For some reasons these liars got ground in Canada. I would stay away from these self appointed "Russian samurais."

May be it's effective against a weak guy who never did any sport in his life. A low level boxer will surely beat all the crap out of any Systema sensei.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>