Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Words of Christ, lacking sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Words of Christ, lacking sources
    Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 18:28
Hi all

I have heard that Jesus once said:

Do not fear the flesh, or it will conquer you. Do not love the flesh, or it will devour you.

Something like that.

However, I have forgot where I found it, so I was hoping any of you could help me with this one.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 04:22

That sentence is from the 'Gospel of Philip'. Although it is not in the standerd Bible but in the 'Gnostic Gospels'. One must note that the majority of Christian scholers disaprove of Gnostic Christianity, thus its accuracy is questionable at most.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 06:10

Thank you very much. I agree that the apochryphal, sometimes called gnostic, gospels are very questionable, but interesting sources to the faith of gnostic sects.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 07:17
I guess whether or not the saying can be attributed to Jesus is questionable, but i guess as a saying by it self it has a lot of wisdom which one from all faiths can learn from.

Would you say that the Apochryphal sect is similar to the Islamic sect of Sufi's, in the sence that they concentrate on the mystical, divine and love?
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by OSMANLI

I guess whether or not the saying can be attributed to Jesus is questionable, but i guess as a saying by it self it has a lot of wisdom which one from all faiths can learn from.

Would you say that the Apochryphal sect is similar to the Islamic sect of Sufi's, in the sence that they concentrate on the mystical, divine and love?

Very true, words of wisdom are wise regardless of who said them. But it is also important to know who said them, if they are connected to religion.

When it comes to the gnostic sects and the Sufi sect, I agree that they are similar in the sense that they are both concerned about mysticism. However, love is found both in ordinary Christianity and Gnostic Christianity, except that the Gnostics were more concerned about the love of the secret wisdom, somewhat similar to the Platonic Agape. Most gnostic sects believed in celibacy because the flesh was evil and a creation of an evil demiurg (another concept adapted from Platon). Thus, they did not celebrate the love between man and woman, but the love and search for higher, secret, divine wisdom.

Of course, not all sects looked at it the same way, but these lines are fairly common in Gnostic thinking.

However, I'm no expert on Sufism, although I have some knowledge of them, so I shall be careful giving statements about them, but from what I know, I agree that they are similar to the Gnostic sects.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 12:27

That sentence is from the 'Gospel of Philip'. Although it is not in the standerd Bible but in the 'Gnostic Gospels'. One must note that the majority of Christian scholers disaprove of Gnostic Christianity, thus its accuracy is questionable at most.

The question which particular text to include in the official canon of the New Testament was not that of authenticity, but more if the text confirmed to the dogmata of the proto-orthodox Church hierachy in the early centuries of Christianity.
Gospels whose content did not agree with the beliefs of the more powerful and numerous Christian tendencies were simply excluded.
Thus the Gospel of Philip is as authentic, or not, as the four included in the New Testament.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 12:32
Originally posted by Hope

Thank you very much. I agree that the apochryphal, sometimes called gnostic, gospels are very questionable, but interesting sources to the faith of gnostic sects.

The Gnostic texts are only a small minority of the Apocryphal catalogue, . The vast majority of Apocryphal texts have nothing to do with Gnostic sects what so ever, therefore you cannot use the two terms synonymously
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 13:06
Thus the Gospel of Philip is as authentic, or not, as the four included in the New Testament.

Untrue, although I will not argue that the creation of the canon was politically motivated. I will argue that they are of equal authenticity. The apocryphal gospels were excluded for the most part because they were written long after Jesus' death and the possibility of corruption in the text was high. The four gospels were written with a generation or two of Jesus' death, therefore the sayings and meanings are less likely to have been altered from the truth than say the Gospel of Philip which was written at the earliest 180ad and possibly wasn't written until the 4th Century. Thus the New Testament is "more authentic" than the apocryphal gospels. That isn't to say that the Apocrypha(?) are bad, they may still contain some truth but it isn't a reliable teaching of the continuation of Christ's message.

I personally find some of the apocryphal works very interesting. The Gospel of Thomas for instance narrates the story of Mary's immaculate conception and her subsequent marriage to Joseph. This for me clears up a problem that I had with the logic of Mary's virginity. As AFAIK Judaism of the time said that a man in death lives on through his descendants, it would have been wrong of God to deny Joseph this. The Gospel of Thomas however clears this up, in that it states Joseph was an old widower.

Also, just to add, gnostics would not be considered true christians as they would not worship the triune godhead. In fact gnostics were around 2 centuries before Christ. These gnostics merely incorporated christian teachings into their dualistic religion. Therefore Gospels written by and for gnostics shouldn't be taken as reflective of early christianity but of later gnosticism.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 15:47
Originally posted by JanusRook

Untrue, although I will not argue that the creation of the canon was politically motivated. I will argue that they are of equal authenticity. The apocryphal gospels were excluded for the most part because they were written long after Jesus' death and the possibility of corruption in the text was high. The four gospels were written with a generation or two of Jesus' death, therefore the sayings and meanings are less likely to have been altered from the truth than say the Gospel of Philip which was written at the earliest 180ad and possibly wasn't written until the 4th Century. Thus the New Testament is "more authentic" than the apocryphal gospels. That isn't to say that the Apocrypha(?) are bad, they may still contain some truth but it isn't a reliable teaching of the continuation of Christ's message.

Firstly,  there is no shred of evidence that the Canonical gospels actually are authentic in the sense that they truthfully recorded the life and utterances of Jesus. As you rightly said they were written not earlier than 40/50 years after the assumed date of Jesus' crucifixion, and there were not written as a simple account of his life but as propaganda material for the missionary efforts of early Christians, with various gospels targeted at various target-groups, the gospel of John for example for hellenistic gentiles. Even if it were true that they were written earlier, the shorter time distance from their composition to the actual events is no prove of authenticity itself.
But, secondly, the assumption that the Canonical gospels were written earlier than the apocryphal doesn't hold. There are numerous apocryphal texts that were written in the exact time period than the canonical ones, namely in the last two decades of the first century CE, for example the "Judaic" gospels, the gospel of Peter, and so on.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 17:03
Komnenos:

Firstly, it's very true that not all Apochryph gospels were Gnostic. I apologize for the confusion.

However, it is not due to the hierarchy of the ancient church that we have the Bible we have today. The texts concerning Christ were read throughout the Eastern Mediterranean and people in the congregations decided much by themselves, according to Norwegian professor Oskar Skarsaune, which gospels they considered to be authentic. After a few centuries, this progress ended in what we now know as the New Testament. The exclusion of some texts were simply logical: The four gospels were considered to be the most authentic (no modern scholar today will disagree) and therefore their form and content was made the guideline for what texts the congregations throughout the early Christendom considered to be authentic. Gnostic texts or texts that differed from how the four gospels and the letters were written, were excluded from the Bible, but that does not mean they were banned. Church fathers approved of them, because they taught good morale. They were of course aware of the fact that they were not reliable due to their young age. Of course, the Gnostic texts were banned from most congregations, since they presented a view that was hard to combine with traditional Christianity.

Komnenos, you mentions texts written in the same era as the four gospels. Are these Gnostic?

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 17:10
Firstly,  there is no shred of evidence that the Canonical gospels actually are authentic in the sense that they truthfully recorded the life and utterances of Jesus.

I wasn't arguing that Komnenos, I was merely arguing that The Gospel of Philip was 'as accurate' as the canonical gospels. The canon may or may not be accurate but as a source it is 'more accurate' than Philip.

There are numerous apocryphal texts that were written in the exact time period than the canonical ones, namely in the last two decades of the first century CE, for example the "Judaic" gospels, the gospel of Peter, and so on.

Sorry, I over-generalized, I was merely referring to Philip and Thomas which were written far after the fact. The other apocryphal gospels could of course if written before 100ad be considered 'as authentic' as the canon.

Ending though I will mention there are a few reasons why the Bible may not contain apocryphal books.

1. Accuracy in Question: which is to say not written within the first two generations after Christ.

2. Politics: Some sects did indeed have more pull when the Bible was being assembled.

3. Heresy: Quit simply, if a book contradicted the other books or was an obvious heretical account it was denied.

4. Lack of Knowledge: There's a reason some of these books are only now being uncovered. The bishops didn't know about them, they could have been written and forgotten in a generation, lost in some desert cave.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 06:08
Well i was going to not mention the accuracy of the gospels but since the topic has been directed this way i will also like to contribute.

As far as i know none of the gospels are acurate in the current addition of the Bible. None of the Gospels in the standerd Bible was writtain by anyone that even met Jesus. That is why in the New Testiment one can read in the begining of a gospel, "The Gospel ACCORDING to St. ...". Gospels which can be described as a primary source such as the Gospel of St. Barnabus along with all the other original Gospels in the Hebrew language must be destroyed due to the order by the Nicene council in the year 325AD. This clearly is evidence that this major man-made edition to the word of the Lord was clearly politacally motivated and thus cannot be used as a reliable source let alone as evidence of what Jesus actually said.
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 09:38

Well i was going to not mention the accuracy of the gospels but since the topic has been directed this way i will also like to contribute.

As far as i know none of the gospels are acurate in the current addition of the Bible. None of the Gospels in the standerd Bible was writtain by anyone that even met Jesus. That is why in the New Testiment one can read in the begining of a gospel, "The Gospel ACCORDING to St. ...". Gospels which can be described as a primary source such as the Gospel of St. Barnabus along with all the other original Gospels in the Hebrew language must be destroyed due to the order by the Nicene council in the year 325AD. This clearly is evidence that this major man-made edition to the word of the Lord was clearly politacally motivated and thus cannot be used as a reliable source let alone as evidence of what Jesus actually said.

The Nicea council of 325 had no effect on the Bible, it was merely a council debating the view on the Son in the Holy Trinity. The Bible as we know it today did not exist at least not before 367.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:44
None of the Gospels in the standerd Bible was writtain by anyone that even met Jesus.

Actually there is strong evidence to suggest that John's gospel was either written or dictated by the Apostle John near his death. Of the apostle's he was the only one to live out a full life, around 90 years or so. Also, the gospel of Mark, was dictated by St. Peter while he was incarcerated in Rome. Luke was probably written by a disciple of St. Paul. I'm not sure on Matthew, it's been a while since I've studied this.

This clearly is evidence that this major man-made edition to the word of the Lord was clearly politacally motivated and thus cannot be used as a reliable source let alone as evidence of what Jesus actually said.

Of course it was politically motivated, it was propaganda. It was telling all of the jews that the messiah had come to save them. However it can be a reliable source since the target audience would have known Jesus. Even if they came out around 80ad younger men and women would have been 50 years old, so they could attest that the information contained in the books were true. And remember in those times, bearing false witness was a serious offense.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 15:48
The Nicea council of 325 had no effect on the Bible, it was merely a council debating the view on the Son in the Holy Trinity. The Bible as we know it today did not exist at least not before 367.

I'll be damned...thanks Hope, I have always thought it was one council but it appears it was the collaberation of many councils (and St. Jerome).

In addition to the Septuagint, Christianity subsequently added various writings that would become the New Testament. Somewhat different lists of accepted works continued to develop in antiquity. In the fourth century a series of synods produced a list of texts equal to the 27-book canon of the New Testament that would be subsequently used to today. Also c. 400, Jerome produced a definitive Latin edition of the Bible (see Vulgate), the canon of which, at the insistence of the Pope, was in accord with the earlier Synods. With the benefit of hindsight it can be said that this process effectively set the New Testament canon, although there are examples of other canonical lists in use after this time. A definitive list did not come from an Ecumenical Council until the Council of Trent (1545-1563).
Source: Wiki

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 08:31

Of course it was politically motivated, it was propaganda. It was telling all of the jews that the messiah had come to save them. However it can be a reliable source since the target audience would have known Jesus. Even if they came out around 80ad younger men and women would have been 50 years old, so they could attest that the information contained in the books were true. And remember in those times, bearing false witness was a serious offense.

So Jesus's message which lasted for just over two years was to be remembered acurately by those old people, who in turn passed the messeage on to others to write their version of Jesus. This does not sound accurate to me.
You have yet to address my point about the Gospel of Baranabus. A man who unlike the other men such as Paul, actually met Jesus but for some reason has not got his gospel in the Bible (or whatever is left of it).
Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 09:47

Janus:

I agree with what you say about the gospels. Let me add that Luke is believed to have been a Greek physician who lived in Rome, but I'm not sure about this. The Gospel of Mark may have been written by a diciple of Peter, as you mention yourself. Some even claim that Mark was an eyewitness to the arrest in Getsemane, because he is the only who tells about a naked man running away. This could mean that either Mark was there that night, or Peter told him. Either way, it would prove good accuracy.

Also Luke is widely respected for his historical accuracy. And yes, you might call it propganada.

Osmanli:

When it comes to the words of Christ, yes they were kept alive by those who knew him. I dare say that oral tales can be kept very accurate for many years, at least enough years to be written.

I don't know the Gospel of Barnabus, thanks for information.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 17:51
I looked up the Gospel of Barnabas on the internet and oh boy, do people actually believe all of this crap (not the Gospel the lies about it):

The Gospel of Barnabas was accepted as a Canonical Gospel in the Churches of Alexandria till 325 C.E.  In 325 C.E., the Nicene Council was held, where it was ordered that all original Gospels in Hebrew script should be destroyed.

What?!? Certainly decrees where decided, but destroy all the original Gospels?!

Here is what actually was determined at the First Nicene Council:

1. prohibition of self-castration; (see Origen)
2. establishment of a minimum term for catechumen;
3. prohibition of the presence in the house of a cleric of a younger woman who might bring him under suspicion;
4. ordination of a bishop in the presence of at least three provincial bishops and confirmation by the metropolitan;
5. provision for two provincial synods to be held annually;
6. exceptional authority acknowledged for the bishops of Alexandria and Rome, for their respective regions;
7. recognition of the honorary rights of the see of Jerusalem;
8. provision for agreement with the Novatianists;
914. provision for mild procedure against the lapsed during the persecution under Licinius;
1516. prohibition of the removal of priests;
17. prohibition of usury among the clergy;
18. precedence of bishops and presbyters before deacons in receiving Holy Communion, the Eucharist;
19. declaration of the invalidity of baptism by Paulian heretics;
20. prohibition of kneeling during the liturgy, on Sundays and in the fifty days of Eastertide ("the pentecost"). Standing was the normative posture for prayer at this time, as it still is among the Eastern Orthodox. (In time, Western Christianity adopted the term Pentecost to refer to the last Sunday of Eastertide, the fiftieth day.) [25]
Source: Wiki

Also from Wiki on the Gospel of Barnabas

The Gospel is considered by the majority of academics (including Christians and some Muslims) to be late, pseudepigraphical and a pious fraud; however, some academics suggest that it may contain some remnants of an earlier apocryphal work edited to conform to Islam, perhaps Gnostic (Cirillo, Ragg) or Ebionite (Pines) or Diatessaronic (Joosten); and some Muslim scholars consider the surviving versions as transmitting a suppressed apostolic original.

Therefore that Gospel is a load of bunk, obviously made with falsified origins based on a decree that was never made. I dare say it is WAY LESS authentic than any of the canonical gospels.

This "Gospel" can be confused by an Epistle of Barnabas (3rd Century) and an Acts of Barnabas (5th Century), but neither is similar to the gospel. In my opinion the Gospel of Barnabas was written to Islamisize Christianity, since the first mention of it is in 17th Century Tunisia.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 17:59
So Jesus's message which lasted for just over two years was to be remembered acurately by those old people, who in turn passed the messeage on to others to write their version of Jesus. This does not sound accurate to me.

No it wasn't meant to be accurately remembered by old people. The books were written based on the earlier experiences of the authors, kind of like the memoirs of early Christianity. Christians are to assume in good faith that the Lord prevented any errors in the books. All I'm saying is that if it was full of obvious lies then people would have spoken against these "heretic jews" and christianity would not have spread.

------------------------------------

Let me add that Luke is believed to have been a Greek physician who lived in Rome, but I'm not sure about this.

The physician part is right, but I heard Asia Minor if I'm not mistaken. I believe he might have been born a Gentile too.

I dare say that oral tales can be kept very accurate for many years, at least enough years to be written.

IIRC there was an Inuit tribe who ran into a european ship in the 1600's who didn't have contact with westerners for 200 years but were able to accurately describe the incident as if it happened yesterday.

Hope View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 19:13

Let me add that Luke is believed to have been a Greek physician who lived in Rome, but I'm not sure about this.

The physician part is right, but I heard Asia Minor if I'm not mistaken. I believe he might have been born a Gentile too.

Yes, you're most probably right, sorry for the mistake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>