Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The many faces in Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The many faces in Turkey
    Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 14:13
Yes, I can confirm that Neo was one brave Greek who dared put the flag of the barbarians as his avatar. LOL
omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 08:27
Originally posted by eaglecap

While I was teaching in Istanbul I was often amazed by the variety of faces there. Some Turkish people looked very European, others Middle Eastern, Others hispanics and some I could see their mongol roots in their facial features. Some Turks looked Greek and other could even pass for a Native American. In Chanakkale I was amazed with all the Turks I met who had blue eyes. The country is very diverse!!!

eaglecap, I can see you have concluded some wrong points(not prejudged). What im saying is exactly what youre saying, but you missed some points. I always say that there is a basic Trk appearence, whom is notable and that there are many kind of looks of Trks, because of the mixes. And its not Mongol root, but Trk root. People dont seem to know the relations of Trks and Mongols in history, thats why they give such false comments, but i see you are not prejudged.
ATTİLA
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 01:41
omergun, what do you mean by a 'turk root' and what is the look?
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 06:58
I think he means well he confuses mongolian with mongoloid. or he thinks people confuse mongol with mongoloid.

According from what i have read. I think he thinks that people think that original turks were mongolian(does this even make senceTongue)

turk root = Turkic root(original turks from mongolia or altai region)

Edited by xi_tujue - 19-Dec-2006 at 06:58
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 07:25
Originally posted by Leonidas

omergun, what do you mean by a 'turk root' and what is the look?

Leonidas, we could summarize(shortly) Trk History in these parts:

-Before and during Altay Area, Trks and Mongols are seperated. They both have different appearences, Trks have less Asiatic appearence.
-Saka Period: Trks and Iranians live together.
-After Altay Area Period: TrkHuns(Xiongnu) go to Mongolia, North China Area to make their first Empire. In this Empire Trks are the centre figure, and they live together with Mongols. Trks mix with Chinese, Mongols etc. But still there is a basic Trk Appearence.
-Europe Hun Empire Period: Trks go to Europe, mix with different kind of nations.
-Seluk Empire Period: Trks are in nowadays Trkiye Area and live together, and mix with Arabs, Iranian etc. Again Trk Appearence is notable.
-During and after CengizHan Empire Period: Some say CengizHan and his Empire are from Mongol or Trk stock, some say Trk Mongol mix. For the population is sure that Trks and Mongols lived together. Until this Period Trks and Mongols lived together for long times, and lots of them mixed with each other. Still, there is a basic Trk Appearence.
-Osmanlı Empire Period: Trks mix with people of Balkan countries, with Arabs and Iranians, with Greeks and other. Again still there is a basic Trk Appearence.

The Trk Appearence has a term, i dont know exactly what it is. And some say Native American are of earlier Trk stock in a period. This could also give another view, and there are also other sources with other statements. But what im trying to say here is that in history Trks were  always the centre figure when they lived together with Mongols, and except in CengizHans period Trks were always leading. And if we look at nowadays we see that there are maximum ca 5 to 10 million Mongols living. In contrary to that, there are ca 200 to 300 million Trks. Doesnt this fact ring a bell in people who are talking about Mongoloid Appearence about Trks. Of course there are big similarities between the nations Trks mixed with, but this doesnt change the basic Trk Appearence. And most importantly, the reason of these blindminded Mongoloid, Arab, Greek statements against Trks are the results of a disgusting political propaganda made by many authorities who hate Trks, but they cant succeed in this one.
ATTİLA
omergun View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote omergun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2006 at 07:28
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I think he means well he confuses mongolian with mongoloid. or he thinks people confuse mongol with mongoloid.

According from what i have read. I think he thinks that people think that original turks were mongolian(does this even make senceTongue)

turk root = Turkic root(original turks from mongolia or altai region)

xi_tujue, yes, youre right.
ATTİLA
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 10:12
Anatolian (Uchisar) girl & man:

Huncuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Huncuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 10:46
Are they Yoruk,ı thinked because they look more Turkic than Turkish.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 10:51
People from the place i live (Afyonkarahisar) will know about "Muhajir" villages, they where balkan muslim people's who fled into Turkey during and before WWI. They wherent "few" people, hundred thousands of them fled into Turkey, inner anatolia. 

Edited by DayI - 27-Dec-2006 at 10:52
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 12:06
Originally posted by Huncuk

Come on man, turkish is also part of Turkic , Turkic range is too wide.
Actually I found turkish peopel more proud of their Turkic roots. What make them Turk is their belives. I do not understand why peole are trying to use the white faces in Turkey as reason to consider Turkey as a non Turkic country. They are white Turks.
Genetic do not make you Turk. You need to feel like Turk, I am a Torkman (Shie Turkmen) some of my family still live in yurts but I do not feel myself as a Turk because I found Iranian a better choise for myself, This makes me a Persian. So many peopel in Balkan found Turkish a better identity for themselves, these peopel are really turk. They even act like Turks.
Huncuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Huncuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 15:17
Originally posted by DayI

People from the place i live (Afyonkarahisar) will know about "Muhajir" villages, they where balkan muslim people's who fled into Turkey during and before WWI. They wherent "few" people, hundred thousands of them fled into Turkey, inner anatolia. 
Just tell me,are they Yoruk or not?Wink
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 17:11
What is a YoruK?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 18:09
Hmm yoruk means well iy comes from yurumek  it means to walk..

there nomads in anatolia some even in thrace if i'm not mistaken.

there are 3 groups of turks in anatolia the largest of Turkmen descent, the second of Tatar and some Yoruks.

The Turkmens and Yoruks are of the same stock but the Turkmens had become well more sedentary with old customes like carpetweaving extensive horse riding and sumerhouses(yayla evi). While Yoruks were still real nomads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C3%B6r%C3%BCk

(most famous Yoruk is Karagoz)Tongue

Edited by xi_tujue - 27-Dec-2006 at 18:11
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 19:08
Yoruk's

In the early 19th century there were hundreds of thousands of Yrks living on Ottoman territories in the Balkans as well as in western Anatolia. Records indicate that in the mid-13th century there were 200,000 Yrk tribal families living in tents between Denizli and Izmir alone. The existence of a further 100,000 tents was reported in the Kastamonu region of north central Anatolia, and 30,000 between Ktahya and Afyon.

In the early 16th century, we find 72,268 Yrk tents in western Anatolia, compared to 368,398 settled hearths in the same region. Today you will see at most five Yrk tents in any one camp during the winter in Adana, Mersin and Antalya while in the summer, a trip to the Taurus uplands may reward you with the sight of some twenty or thirty Yrk tents in a given camp..........

http://www.turkishculture.org/pages.php?ChildID=210&ParentID=12&ID=56&ChildID1=210

Yoruk Tent's, they're famous for these and still weave them, people in the Middle East buy these aswell from them.

Yoruk Shephard cloak

Little kid in tradditional clothes

Some festival

A Yoruk guy

Yoruk dress

Design of a carpet, Yoruk's are great weaver's.

Yoruk's are sometimes called Turkmen and Turkmen called Yoruk.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 19:37

Just tell me,are they Yoruk or not?Wink 
Originally posted by konstantinius

What is a YoruK?
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Hmm yoruk means well iy comes from yurumek  it means to walk.. there nomads in anatolia some even in thrace if i'm not mistaken.

The girl & man are not nomads or 'walkers' - they're villagers from some of the surviving ancient villages in the heart of Turkey: Cappadocia.

The lands of Cappadocia make up the history of some of the most beautiful regions in Turkey.
Greek, Roman, early Christian, Ottoman, and other settlers make up Cappadocia's character.

Edited by Hellios - 27-Dec-2006 at 21:24
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 19:40
Good post Bulldog.

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 19:54
Konstantinius,Yuruks have reached Greece too and lived isolated as nomads,Greeks called them Konyalides(From Konya).They left after the population exchanges.
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 12:25
Thanks to all of you who clarified the meaning of "Turks".

I can only add that Turkish people can physically be different because they came from the vast Osmanli Empire which occupied parts of Europe,Asia and Africa.

Edited by Moustafa Pasha - 28-Dec-2006 at 12:27
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 17:24
Thanks guys.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 20:03
What tribe names Yuruk peopel carry?their tents looks qasqayies and Kurdsih tents,you know I ment black wool type( Kara Cadir), That shephard also weared something belong to zagros nomads?!(too kurdish)
They are not alavi Turkmans. are they ? Their tents is diffrent from our Yurts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>