Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The many faces in Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The many faces in Turkey
    Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 09:23
Originally posted by Leonidas

well i have a 'black' tamil friend who experinced racism in turkey. She caught the wrong bus to some village off the beaten track (somwhere inland from bodrum i think) and was told she was lucky the local taxi drivers  accepted her in their cars and charged her extra because she is black.

More likely because she was a tourist. There are quite a few very dark Turks too.
I can totall see how someone can be discriminated in Turkey for their religion or ethnic self-identification or the language they speak, but not for skin color.

I was in Ephesus with an Armenian friend and we were speaking in Bulgarian, and then I switched to Turkish briefly to ask for a price, and one of the Turks (more likely Kurd because he spoke with an Eastern accent) asked me what kind of Turk I am and why do I speak an infidel language. Whad was I supposed to answer to that?

In conservative areas in Istanbul you may get weird looks for the way you dress for example. Most conservative Turks always wear trousers, and I was wearing shorts that very hot summer day. People, were looking at me in a very weird way. I felt uncomfortable.

Or the typical annoying question that I always get is how is it possible to live in Bulgaria and be a Turk at the same time. Mainalnd Turks are just really dumb sometimes.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 09:44
Originally posted by bg_turk

why do I speak an infidel language?

LOLLOLLOL
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 21:28
    I had no intention of this becoming a race or racist debate but frankly I enjoyed the variety of faces I saw in Turkey but they were one culture and not multicultural. Being a nationalist does not make one a racist and I did not see racism amongst the Turks I met in Istanbul, but I am sure it is there amongst some Turks. I consider myself a nationalist American but I do not exclude other people by race or ethnic background, we are all Americans. On the most part I saw cultural unity amongst the Turks I met. I never sensed any hostility whenever I told my Turkish students or people I met that I was half Greek but usually admiration. Athough, I am sure there are some Turks who may feel negative about Greeks, most seem to like Greeks.
I took it as a compliment that I looked Turkish to some Turks but then some thought I looked German, American and one thought I was Italian because of my olive complexion. My Papoo (grandfather) was a Greek minority from around Edirne, Turkey but now my relatives from his side live in Nea Orestiada, Greece.

Added George Washington because so many Turks told me that Ataturk was their George Washington and GW is our national hero.

Edited by eaglecap - 06-Nov-2006 at 22:33
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 10:17
I read that in Constaninople there are two races of people in schools. The European like children and the asian like children. Is that true?
And if it true why is this division take place? Is something with the language or the religion?
if it is not true then it was unreliable article and i apologize.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 10:38
err I have no idea about what are you talking.Confused
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by perikles

I read that in Constaninople there are two races of people in schools. The European like children and the asian like children. Is that true?
And if it true why is this division take place? Is something with the language or the religion?

that is probably a greek article or an article written by a greek author (no offense to you) which is based on nonsense
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 19:01

Hasbinallahvenimelvekil!
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

I read that in Constaninople there are two races of people in schools. The European like children and the asian like children. Is that true? And if it true why is this division take place? Is something with the language or the religion? if it is not true then it was unreliable article and i apologize.

Hasbinallahvenimelvekil!

english please!
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 05:20
God is enough for us. He's such a beautiful protector and guarantor.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 09:20

I read that in Constaninople there are two races of people in schools. The European like children and the asian like children.

This is BS.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 06:42

More likely because she was a tourist. There are quite a few very dark Turks too.
I can totall see how someone can be discriminated in Turkey for their religion or ethnic self-identification or the language they speak, but not for skin color.
she was told because she was black, the other girls were white and werent treated like that.

Geez, stuff like that happens everywhere turkey isnt any different.

Edited by Leonidas - 10-Nov-2006 at 06:44
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 15:29
Its a nonsense story, the only different treatment you may get is paying a higher price for something by a oportunist money-grabber.

Most locals in touristic regions in the South of Turkey look pretty dark, the White tourists would look more different and noticable in those areas.

I visited Turkey the South Coasts with some friends a few who were black-white mixed race. What was funny is that a Turk we were also on holiday with looked more like a tourist to the locals because he hadn't got colour from the sun yet then the two mixed-race guys. They were speaking to them in Turkish and him in English to try and encourage him to visit their shop or restaurant.

Colour isn't an issue in Turkey.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 16:36
Originally posted by Leonidas

she was told because she was black, the other girls were white and werent treated like that.

Geez, stuff like that happens everywhere turkey isnt any different.
Leonidas i know enough Greeks in here, somethimes just to bash or i dunno why actually they bring up things like "i heard Turks are racist..why? Because i HEARD so" or "A friend of my friend did experienced racism in Turkey" and you do the same "thing". Ouch

If someone go's to Turkey, he doesnt go to heaven, got it?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 19:53
apologies for any offence DayI; my point was always that racism exist everywhere as oppossed to it being here and not there. It wasnt being made, that all turks or inparticular  turks are racist,  im saying they are no different.  it was just one village with one freind that contradicts some generalist comments and veiws, nothing more.

I alread know there would be the same thing where i came from,when my japanese sister inlaw visits my maternal village she would get a mixed reaction, some racist some curoius, same thing.

Edited by Leonidas - 10-Nov-2006 at 19:54
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 19:23
[QUOTE=DayI]
[QUOTE=Leonidas]

If someone go's to Turkey, he doesnt go to heaven, got it?

oh gosh I am in trouble now-

I thought only those who have been to Havre, Montana faced eternity in the realm of brim stone and fire-
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 05:15
Racim is somethign that all the countries have. Developed or third world. In Turkey i believe that becaue of so many tribes living there the majority of people are used to foreign faces. The racism is more intense in countries that are homogenous.
I was in Turkey for an entire month from Constantinople through Erzurum and I didn't face any difficulties. Even when i told them that i am from Greece. And this was a Happy surprise. But in Countries like Italy, Greece were the population is more homogenous(at least before the imigrants) the racism were more intense. At the begging at least.

ps. BG i like your avatar. I can send you more if you like!!!

Edited by perikles - 13-Nov-2006 at 05:15
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:23

Most conservative Turks always wear trousers, and I was wearing shorts that very hot summer day. People, were looking at me in a very weird way. I felt uncomfortable.

Maybe you have interesting legs LOL
imparatoru View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote imparatoru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 18:45
    istambul is a metropolitan city friends.
When istambul was constantinople, there is a proverb that said:
if the world was a unique country, his capital must be constantinople.
besides, the native people of istambul before 1473 stay there after the ottoman conquete and mixed with turks and other muslims.

Edited by imparatoru - 13-Nov-2006 at 18:49
i'm coming back
mermaid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 12:57
bg turk is kind enough to use greek flag avatar.I wonder whether a greek dares to use Turkish one or not:)
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 14:06
^^^ Hey, I dared to use something even better!:)
Trkiye Arması!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/T%C3%BCrkiye_armas%C4%B1.svg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>