Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Violence of the modern youth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violence of the modern youth
    Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:12
Violence... It seems we've grown quite accustomed to it nowadays...
The reason I'm creating this thread is at first an article I just read, but in a deeper sense, it's not just for one case, but for what seems to be a world-wide tendency. I must admit, I've always thought that this violence of the youth today, the school shootings etc. are mainly a problem of the West, of the USA. Most of the cases, which I had heard of, about shootings in schools, injured or killed pupils and teachers, were coming from the USA. Everyone of you has heard of at least one such case. I've also heard that also Germany and some other states are having such problems. "But so what? It's their own problem!" Well, it seems it's not! Recently there's a trend in the medias to point out similar things also in Bulgaria. True, I haven't heard of real shootings, but I'm not talking only about shootings anyway. That's only one part of the bigger picture. What I'm talking about is the growing violence among today's children and teenagers. A few weeks ago one newspaper discovered a number of video clips uploaded in the Internet. They weren't copyrighted, they weren't pirated - so far nothing bad. But their content still aroused a wave of debates. Because the content was mostly like this:
1. Striptease of underaged teenagers.
2. Girl fights in schools.
Ok, the first category was seemingly voluntarily. But what caused these debates was the fact that there were a number of clips, showing two or more girls, fighting in the school or the school yards, under the watch of whole crouds of their classmates, who're doing nothing else than taking pictures of the fight with their cell phones. No attempt to stop the fight, no nothing. Just the "pleasure" of watching real-life violence...
This case was followed by the medias with some others - new ones and old ones. One of the new, which I remember, was how three "cool" girls brought their new classmate-girl at the appartment of one of them, supposedly to become friends, and then they forced her to strip in front of the camera/cell phone and also to pee on her favourite plush toy. Of course, after that they showed the clip to everyone in the school. I can't say what the victim felt, I can't say what these three girls felt, I can't even say what I feel... I can give two more of the new examples - in one single day, there were two school-fights reported on the national television. In one, a girl "took out" a boy by hitting him in the groin, which resulted in the hospitalization of the boy. When they interviewed the boy (not older than 15), he told the TV crew that once he goes back to school, he'll pay her with the interest. The other case - two girls get in a fight during the school break, one of the girls takes out a knuckle-duster (fortunately, not a spiky one), knocks out the other girl and then the weapon quickly disappears among the crowd. Of course, the medias didn't forget also to remind us of previous acts of youth violence. Like f.e. the one, in which one teenager cold-bloodedly stabbed, killed, chopped to pieces and hid the body of his classmate. Both of them underaged...
And now I read an article about a group rape of a 16-year old Bulgarian girl by 10th and 11th grade Greek boys in a school on the Greek island of Euobea. It seems that this case has brought up this very same debate also in Greece. So it's not just the violence-movie-producing USA, not also the world-war-sparker Germany, not also the backward-Balkan Bulgaria, but it's spread even to the core of the Western civilization. And that's only what I've heard about! One God knows how many more such or similar cases are out there all accross the world!
So I can't help myself and not ask the question "What, the hell, is going on with this world?! Has being a "bad boy" or a "bad girl" became so modern that children and teenagers are so ready to humiliate each other, to beat each other, to kill each other?!" I don't know the question, I don't know the cure, I simply can't realize this could actually be happening. And it could be happening even now...

Edited by NikeBG - 01-Nov-2006 at 11:28
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by NikeBG

And now I read an article about a group rape of a 16-year old Bulgarian girl by 10th and 11th grade Greek boys in a school on the Greek island of Euobea.

Could I please see your sources for this assertion. Non of the enlish media seems to mention this.
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:20
I heard it too.I even think to open a topic about this case.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:26
I believe you can read Bulgarian, right? Otherwise, if you know Greek, you could eventually check the Greek newspaper, which was quoted in the title of that Bulgarian article: ""Avgi": The group rape of a Bulgarian girl reveals the barbaric stereotypes towards the foreign women"
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:36
We bulgarians can read that article but foreigners cant.Can you post a link with article in english.

Edited by Krum - 01-Nov-2006 at 11:37
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:39
It is terrifying. Even more terrifying is the way the local society at Amarintos is trying to present the perpetrators as the victims of the "sexual lure" of the 16 year old schoolgirl.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 15:02
Yes,is a sad situation.Generally,the majority of people does fear the Law or the State because simply the Law is not enforced properly.From there is that everything begins.So,if the parents do not fear,how can their children fear?Simply ,they wont.In Amarinthos case,we have to fase also the power of the close society.Close societies still exist in Hellas,not in the same lvl as in the past of course,but they exist.The Law cannot be enforced there properly ,as in the rest of the country,because everybody know each other and cover each others dirt.The Law of Silence.Of course,the absence of fear and dispair is a global phenomenon.Hellas has,for the first time in it's history,significanrt problems with young criminals for different reasons.But ,Bulgaria and Romania still continue their human trafficking and illegal adoptions.They sell their children for some thousand dollars in order to feed themselves.Generally,every country has significant problems to solve,especially in the Balkans.But ,that's what globalization also means:globalizations of problems.First in the USA,now in Europe.

Sometimes i want Nomos 4.000 back.

Edited by Spartakus - 01-Nov-2006 at 15:04
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 20:24
Originally posted by Krum

We bulgarians can read that article but foreigners cant.Can you post a link with article in english.

(I didn't find very detailed articles in English)

Four schoolboys charged with attack on 16-year-old classmate on Evia

A prosecutor in Halkida, on the island of Evia, yesterday charged four boys with raping a 16-year-old female classmate. The attack is alleged to have taken place last Thursday at the senior high school in Amarynthos, where schoolchildren had staged a sit-in protest against the governments education reforms. The parents of the four unnamed schoolboys have also been charged with failing to control their children. A doctor who examined the girl said that she had been bruised but he could not confirm that she had been raped. source

also: http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_648684_01/11/2006_76041

Stupid kids

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 04:47
Its horrible to say but in Australia happy slapping (the term given to recording fights and all that on phones then passing it around) is increasing and also alot of fights being started just for this purpose. Also about a week or so ago there was a thing on the news about 10 or so guys sexually harrased a girl and recorded it all then put it on the internet.

Its things like this that make me sick
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 07:39
Yes, good diea Nike...

Violance of the modern youth has reached to such an extend that I myself sometimes think to msyelf that maybe I should not be a father in the future.

I am 22 and I happened to knwo internet and tehse computer games when I was in the high school. when i was a kid i was playing soccer and games with other children on the street...
but todays kids and young generation are more a-social and isolated from their fellowers to du internet...Todays kids play games liek counter-strike and other killing games...I think that makes a bit sense!
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 08:46
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Violance of the modern youth has reached to such an extend that I myself sometimes think to msyelf that maybe I should not be a father in the future.

Yes, I'm asking myself the same thing too. I'm still 20, but I'm not really sure if I'd want to have children of my own in the future of this world. Especially since I don't see any hopes for improvement soon - it seems it's only getting worse and worse.
I don't know if it's only because of the violent computer games and movies though. Sure, they're a big factor as well, but I don't think it's only that. Because we see violence also among the adults, which should already be mature enough not to be influenced by movies or games. But the other reason is IMHO exactly the violence among the adults, which should act as a "good example" to the children, but instead of that they act the opposite...
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 11:42
Im 23 and I don't think I want to have any children either but for other different reasons not just because the world is a "dangerous" place as it wasn't anymore peaceful before.
I don't think anything cataclysmic will happing anytime during the first quarter of this century because most countries will adopt more strategic rather than confrontational foreign policies like the US has adopted and failed today. The challanges ahead are environmental problems that the future generation will have to contend with.
No NIke the problem is not computer games or movies or anything else like that people blame to externalize their problems. Those are the byproduct of the process that we are witnessing unfold today.  I think it has to do more with the fast technological change that has led to the demise of many cultures and traditions around the world.
People don't always respond to change in different ways so the most vulnerable and less experienced such as teenagers become lost and revert to these ritual suicides.

Edited by vulkan02 - 07-Dec-2006 at 11:46
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 04:10

These things are indeed terrible and I would by no means try to downplay them, but I think the changing media has a ver big role in this. Perhaps violence did increase in the last decades, but perhaps it was not the violence but the mediaattention that changed. Violent fights between schoolkids is nothing new, what is new is the fact that they get recorded and spread and so are put under the attentions of the larger masses. Fights in school used to stay private, now they are public. The same is true it seems to me for other cases. Take child abuse. Fifty years ago, you would never ever find a newspaper article about it, but that does not mean it did not happen. It well might have happened even more than now, as the chances of getting punished for it back then were so small.

But I must admit, highschool shooting-suicides and gang rape (although also not 'new' or unique to the time) seem to increase. I think media also play a role in this, but not becaue of violent movies or such. Did you know that suicide is contagious? If one teenager kills him/herself, there generally is an outbreak of attempted suicides around it. This used to be in the direct environment, within schools or such, but since cases like these appear in the media, the copycat gulf spreads out much further. I imagine this could happen to gangrapes and highschool shootings as well... It gets capital headers in media all over the world and so brings new ideas to other teenagers with issues who can see no other way out.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 07:27
Your absolutely right Aelfgifu.  I know that in America, a recent survey showed that most parents think that their children are more likely to be kidnapped than when they were kids.  In reality, the opposite is true, the media has just given so much attention to missing children that it has warped people's sense of reality.  After all, there's no news like bad news.
Member of IAEA
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 13:36
Originally posted by Genghis

Your absolutely right Aelfgifu.  I know that in America, a recent survey showed that most parents think that their children are more likely to be kidnapped than when they were kids.  In reality, the opposite is true, the media has just given so much attention to missing children that it has warped people's sense of reality.  After all, there's no news like bad news.

True, and let us not forget that the missing kids are almost always young white girls. My grandmother watches all these news shows, and she is afraid that I am going to "get abducted" one day by one of those people on the "internets" because she watches all of this fear-mongering news that does not account for the fact that the instances of the events covered rarely happen.

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Take child abuse. Fifty years ago, you would never ever find a newspaper article about it, but that does not mean it did not happen. It well might have happened even more than now, as the chances of getting punished for it back then were so small.

It sure did happen more in the past than it does now in the United States. Only a few parents spank their kids as a punishment, and it is usually only at a very young age. My mother and her siblings used to get severely beaten, sometimes for no reason whatsoeve,r back in the 1960's. If  parents did that now, they would surely be punished by the law.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 08:58
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

These things are indeed terrible and I would by no means try to downplay them, but I think the changing media has a ver big role in this. Perhaps violence did increase in the last decades, but perhaps it was not the violence but the mediaattention that changed. Violent fights between schoolkids is nothing new, what is new is the fact that they get recorded and spread and so are put under the attentions of the larger masses. Fights in school used to stay private, now they are public. The same is true it seems to me for other cases. Take child abuse. Fifty years ago, you would never ever find a newspaper article about it, but that does not mean it did not happen. It well might have happened even more than now, as the chances of getting punished for it back then were so small.

We have the same problem in Spain, but here the brutality in boys and girls are incresing, dramatically since 1995 when new education laws was decreted. We have a serious problem of violence in all the levels of students: low, middle and high class, 8 years to 18 years, girsl too, there many suicides of guys that can't support the pression.

These problems have two origins:

1. Deficience of education in the home. There is rising the so called "Small Dictators", childrens that are the kings of the house and fathers that overprotect to his guys until excesive extrems.

2. Deficience of the education's law: Only one example, don't give to the professors the possibility of expel of the classroom to the guys !!, but the flatness are by far more serious than this.

In consecuence, we have an army of small guerrilla fighters in the high schools against who anybody can do anything, and are always renoved by new tyrants Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply