Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are Christian/Hindu women exploited & sex objects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Christian/Hindu women exploited & sex objects
    Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 00:41

Originally posted by Tipu Sultan in the thread on Imrana case.

"well a very rare case and as a m??uslim scholar remarked

muslim women have more rights than hindu or christain women.

christain women in western socieities are exploited,they are used as sex objects while a muslim women is looked upon with respect and dignity".

What is the truth dear members ?
I would specially request the ladies to comment about the topic.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 02:35
Compare the discrepency in earnings between men and women in the Islamic world, and men and women in the non-Islamic world. That by itself says plenty. While in India it may not be all that different, in Europe it certainly is. Better yet, look at how often women make it into politics or become business executives, that says even more.

Personally, I would have thought by now you would have learnt not to take what Tipu says too seriously. I would dismiss his comment as insular, ignorant tripe which obviously hasn't considered the role the womens' rights movement has had in empowering women in much of the developed world.

Edited by Constantine XI - 31-Oct-2006 at 02:44
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 02:42

You are right friend, what he says does not deserve to be taken seriously, but when it is a sweeping statement like the one above, some cognizance has to be taken. If I had replied to his statement, he would have come up with the old answer, that I am only bashingIslam, (which I never do) so I thought it better to see what the others think of the topic. 

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 02:57
More shocking is the fact that he claims to be an Indian but possibly forgets that

1.   India is ruled by a christian lady Sonia Gandhi, who is also the most
      popular leader of the ruling party.

2.   The second most popular figure in the Indian ruling party is again a
      Hindu - Christian lady Priyanka Gandhi.

3.   The best & the most powerful ruler in modern India has been again a   
      lady Indira Gandhi, who was a Hindu-Zorastrian.

4.   The most popular Indian festival, Diwali is dedicated to the worship of
      Godess Lakshmi & not a God.   

5.   The second most popular Indian festival Navratri is dedicated to the
      worship of Godess Durga & Godess Kali & not Gods.

6.   Three political parties in India are headed by Women, two Hindu & one
      christian.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:22
Well i know more about the Christian doctrine than the Hindu one so i will present facts from the Christian holy book, the Bible:

15: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:
16: And the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her;
17: And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city.
18: And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him;
19: And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days.
20: But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
From the following one must understand the following points:

- Fathers would have to and pardon my wording fingure their daughters with a cloth. Which according to the Talmud (Talmud, Eruvin 29b-30a)would be "3 square fingure breadths"

- If it is found that the husband is lying, then he must stay with his wife forever.

-If what the husband claims is to be true, then the women will be stoned by the men of the city.

Fathers may sell their daughters as servants:

7: And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.
8: If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.

Womens must keep their mouth shut in the Church accroding to Bible:

11: Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12: But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13: For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14: And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

34: Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35: And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
36: What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
37: If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
38: But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
39: Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
40: Let all things be done decently and in order.

Theres pleanty more, you have just to ask.

Ragards,

OSMANLI

Note: All comments made are from the Bible's own word.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:35
Of course, considering dogma is only relevant in one context: where a society applies that dogma in its legal codes. I don't know about India, but in the West (I won't refer to it as the Christian world as such labelling is erroneous considering the dominant ideology in such countries is not religious faith) the law is typically applied without considering religious dogma.

In the Islamic world, this is usually not the case, religious dogma often has a powerful impact on the administration of the legal system.

The real indicators of female empowerment and rights lie in how women are actually protected and how their rights are promoted. Dogma only means something when it is actually applied.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:40
You are right Constantine. The situation is the same in Indian Law.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:46
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Of course, considering dogma is only relevant in one context: where a society applies that dogma in its legal codes. I don't know about India, but in the West (I won't refer to it as the Christian world as such labelling is erroneous considering the dominant ideology in such countries is not religious faith) the law is typically applied without considering religious dogma.

In the Islamic world, this is usually not the case, religious dogma often has a powerful impact on the administration of the legal system.

The real indicators of female empowerment and rights lie in how women are actually protected and how their rights are promoted. Dogma only means something when it is actually applied.
Really? Care to back this up with concrete examples? In Pakistan most women work, because they have too. Hell thats been the case for most of history, it was only in the post WWII era west where women could actually generally not afford to work.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:51
Originally posted by Sparten

Really? Care to back this up with concrete examples? In Pakistan most women work, because they have too. Hell thats been the case for most of history, it was only in the post WWII era west where women could actually generally not afford to work.

Sure, seven Islamic countries have sharia law as the solid basis for their legal system. Women are executed for adultery, gays for simply being gay. Many others, while not following sharia to the letter, are nonetheless highly influenced by the precepts of Islamic law and custom.

Women have always worked in every society. The issue is not about whether they work, but about what truly meaningful equality, rights and opportunities they enjoy in the workplace.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 05:04
Ever heard of the Sexual revolution, in the 60ies? Women fought for their rights and got them. Tipu and the man he quotes apparently never bothered to see if relality was the same as theory. In this country, women are equal to man before the law.
And women are not all seen as sexual objects. I would say that in a society were women are forced to completely cover themselves because men cannot control themselves if they are not sees woman far more as just sexual objects than in a society where woman can wear what they want and walk about freely without being bothered.

And I would like to add that the majority of western women do not walk the streets in bikinis or skimpy clothing on a daily basis. Saying that all western women wear too revealing clothes is as much a generalisation as saying all muslim women are opressed.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 06:22
Talking of covering up, the rate of crime against women in topless / nudist beaches is far lesser than what it is in most of the place tipu favours as "safe / empowering for women."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 07:50
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Ever heard of the Sexual revolution, in the 60ies? Women fought for their rights and got them. Tipu and the man he quotes apparently never bothered to see if relality was the same as theory. In this country, women are equal to man before the law.
And women are not all seen as sexual objects. I would say that in a society were women are forced to completely cover themselves because men cannot control themselves if they are not sees woman far more as just sexual objects than in a society where woman can wear what they want and walk about freely without being bothered.

And I would like to add that the majority of western women do not walk the streets in bikinis or skimpy clothing on a daily basis. Saying that all western women wear too revealing clothes is as much a generalisation as saying all muslim women are opressed.
But apparenty  making the latter genralisation is more acceptable.

Edited by Sparten - 31-Oct-2006 at 08:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 07:59

Originally posted by Sparten

Sure, seven Islamic countries have sharia law as the solid basis for their legal system. Women are executed for adultery, gays for simply being gay. Many others, while not following sharia to the letter, are nonetheless highly influenced by the precepts of Islamic law and custom.

Women have always worked in every society. The issue is not about whether they work, but about what truly meaningful equality, rights and opportunities they enjoy in the workplace.
Names please. And how dose having Sharia law make it less liklely that women will have meaningful "opputunities" to work than any other place. Iran has sharia law (generally speaking) yet they are one of the few countries in the world where women outnumber men i the numbers of new college degrees. pakistan is a conservative society, yet we have had women as PM's, Army generals , Supreme Court Judges, fighter pilots, ministers, business leaders, journalist's, head of the State bank and many other fields too numerous to enumerate. So tell me how exactly are they denied meaningful oppurtunity.

Just because someone has different sexual mores than somebody else, dose not make them unenlightened. Prudish perhaps, but not much more.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 15:36
Sharia is a force which belittles women and subjugates them to men. If I am not mistaken, sharia calls for four male witnesses to be present for a woman to have any valid case in a rape claim. Now if this does not blatantly disadvantage women and encourage their exploitation as sex objects then nothing does.

Under Shari'a - Islamic law - a man can marry up to four wives. He can divorce his wife or wives by saying I divorce you three times. For a wife to obtain a divorce is usually very difficult. Muslim apologists claim that Muslim women have the right to divorce and that in Islam the mother is revered and respected. Upon divorce, fathers win custody of boys over the age of six and girls on the onset of puberty. Many women would be reluctant to divorce violent or polygynous husbands for fear of losing their children. Despite the exaltation of motherhood - Mohammed once told a follower that paradise is found at the feet of the mother - children are considered the property of the father with the mother being merely the caretaker. How is it possible for a Muslim man to respect his mother when immutable religious law proclaims women's inferiority and inadequacy?

Under the Shari'a, compensation for the murder of a woman is half the amount of that of a man. A woman's testimony in court is worth only half of a man's. Women are entitled to only half the inheritance of males; the reason given for these is that males have families to provide for. In sura 4:34 men are granted superiority and authority over women because they spend their wealth to maintain them, this implies that women are a burden on society and that their work in caring for children, household and livestock is insignificant and trivial.

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/islamrights.htm

Can you tell me if the information here is genuine? If so it is quite shocking.

I have found more information on the economic status of women in Islam. Akbar Ahmed's book Discovering Islam notes that while Shia women often inherit equal shares to men after the death of a relative, Sunni women receive only half of what a man does at best, while in rural areas seldom inherit any substantial. That is a considerable disadvantage for virtually 90% of Muslim women.

Source: Akbar Ahmed, Discovering Islam,  Routledge, London, 2002, p. 59

I have heard that women are also restricted from driving in Saudi Arabia, if true this constitutes a further massive disadvantage to women attempting to find an equal economic footing. Being deprived of the most effective and advantageous form of transport cannot be seen but as a disadvantage.

Developments in Bangladesh, one of the largest Muslim states by population:

[/quote]
The socio-economic indicators of female status reveal that women bear a disproportionately high share of the country's underdevelopment compared to men. The literacy rate for women, 15 years and above, is 24.2 per cent compared to 45.5 per cent for men of the same cohort. Their life expectancy is 55.4 years as against 56.4 years for men. The daily per capita calorie intake for women is 1,599 k cal while for men it is considerably higher, 1,927 k cal. The wage rates for women is 58 per cent of men's for the same job, dropping to 43 per cent during the slack season. As much as 43 per cent women and only 8 per cent men earn less than Tk 100 ($2.5) per week.[/quote]

This is just the economic information regarding women and opportunity. The article in full details that the rise of the national Islamist party is responsible, with its implementation of religious based laws, for the marginalisation of women in Bangladesh. Source:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/southasia/Tazeen.html

My apologies for the text changes but I had to copy/paste quite a bit.

Edited by Constantine XI - 31-Oct-2006 at 16:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 23:31
Great source, atheist foundation. Next you'll be attacking capitalism by quoting from Das Capital!

Lets see
1)Women have half the inheritance depending on the circumstances. And it differs in the various legal schools. So to say that women are given half inheritannce is wrong.

2) Fathers don't win custody upon the age of six, they are entitled to apply for custody. Before that age there is an irrebutable presumption that the custody should go to the mother. After age six there is still a presumption that it should go to the mother, with the caveat that the father can apply to have that presumption overturned, if he brings in sufficient evidence.

3) Four witnesses? Well this is one, not present in all the schools (only in Shafi and Hanbli IIRC). Secondly is relates to sentencing not to conviction.  It is only required in cases where the defence wants the maximum penalty (Hadd) imposed.

4) geez, in a poor country like Bangladesh (aka God's water hole) women are disadvantaged. I sure did not need atheist foundation to find that out.

5) I am not saying the lot of women is perfect, or even good. Onluy tha t you should first try to find out a lot more from primary sources before posting anything.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 23:42
I provided two other scholarly sources, the Atheist foundation I included with the caveat that the information needs verification. And I only used that for my first quote, the rest came from other sources.

The rest of the evidence makes women's rights look pretty bad. While on the one hand there is clear evidence of inequality before the law, on the other there is clear evidence of disadvantage in the competitive labour force. A women's liberation movement akin to that which occurred in the 60s in some other countries would be to the advantage of women's rights in these countries.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:02
First: Tipu's claim is complete rubbish and I'm sure he knows it, if he doesn't I encourage him to look up the catholic (or similar major church) doctrines.

Now,
If we are going to talk of sharia we will talk about real sharia and not the backward practises of uneducated governments.

Sharia is a force which belittles women and subjugates them to men.

Actually Sharia grants more freedom to women than to men. An example, all money a man earns is the property of his wife and family, all money a women earns is hers to do as she pleases (which may be spending it on her family of course).
If I am not mistaken, sharia calls for four male witnesses to be present for a woman to have any valid case in a rape claim

You are mistaken. Only witness is specified, there is no reason why this can't be DNA, physical injury, the claim of the woman and the womans blood on the man's cloths. Or something similar, western law easily covers this in application.

Can you tell me if the information here is genuine? If so it is quite shocking

It is shocking but thankfully not genuine. Divorce law is quite complicated so I won't go through it here. It is not possible for a man to say "I divorce you" and be divorced. The aim of the laws is to provide as peaceful divorce as possible and protect the children as much as possible.

There are no compensation laws.

The rest is pretty much political, no-one is denying (or no-one with common sense) that conditions are pretty bad for women in many places, but trying to make a religous connection is as silly as Tipu's statement.

The rest of the evidence makes women's rights look pretty bad. While on the one hand there is clear evidence of inequality before the law, on the other there is clear evidence of disadvantage in the competitive labour force. A women's liberation movement akin to that which occurred in the 60s in some other countries would be to the advantage of women's rights in these countries.

Definitely.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:14
In Islam women are supposed to wear burkhas & cover themselves up, while in other religions they enjoy freedom from this dogma.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:16
Why can't a muslim woman not divorce a man by saying Divorce three times, when the men can divorce a woman at his whim & fancy.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:20
In Islam women are supposed to wear burkhas & cover themselves up, while in other religions they enjoy freedom from this dogma

Actually there is no such law. The requirement is to be modest (men and women). Personally I think wearing a burkha is terribly immodest.
Why can't a muslim woman not divorce a man by saying Divorce three times, when the men can divorce a woman at his whim & fancy.

No one can divorce anyone at a whim!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>