Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Punic Wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Punic Wars
    Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 15:51
Ok, much better then. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 11:27

hey I read in one of my books that in the second punic war that there were two legions of slaves?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 05:27
Originally posted by Rome

hey I read in one of my books that in the second punic war that there were two legions of slaves?

Yes, after the defeat at Cannae the only way the Romans could raise sufficient quantities of fighting men was for wealthier citizens to contribute their slaves into the nation's military. Manpower wasn't the only shortage after Cannae, they had to ransack their temples of armour and weapons in order to arm these new recruits. Desperate times.......
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 08:58

I believe the slave legions performed rather well, instead of being used in the times when Rome felt confrontation with Hannibal was a good idea, the slave legions were around when Rome was attempting to contain Hannibal so not suicidally giving battle. Lucky them.

Indeed desperate times I believe the age for service in the legions was reduced to 16 or 17 as so many men had been killed in battle and many territories were at the point of exhaustion.

It must have been demoralising to the Carthaginians that they had killed so many Romans yet they still had the resources in manpower to replace them whereas the Carthaginians had barely any capacity to replenish their troops or atleast replace the fallen with comparable quality.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 17:18
Dux: finishing this anytime?

And I might add that it is Carthage, not Cartrage....
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 19:16
What i do not understand (This is partially because i have not read Livy- the wars with Hannibal Book2 yet) is how Hannibal was finally defeated at Zama in Africa by Cornellius Scipio in AFRICA. He was marching down to Rome after Cannae and the Senate had agreed to the countryside being ravaged to stop his advance. How can he have just gone to  North Africa that soon after? I thought that Scipio would have defeated him in Italy.
Also, when he was marching to St.Bernard's pass from Gaul, how come he did not have that much resistance? He must have passed near mallisa, which was a major port and would probably have had quite a large garrison- why was he not engaged in a large pitched battle by any of the troops in southern gaul?
Hannibal the Great View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hannibal the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 18:00
In answer to your first question Scipio feared facing Hannibal in Italy because Hannibal had never lost a battle there and was able to use the terrain to his advantage. Africa on the other hand was more familiar to Scipio than Hannibal because Hannibal had'nt been there since he was a child. In answer to the second question no one is sure whether Rome was just completely unknowing or if they simply hoped to destroy Hannibal on their own soil.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 02:13
So far as I know, the actual route of Hannibal over the Alps has not yet been determined with certainty, we are still only specualting. And he met ALOT of resistance from Gauls in the Alps, his losses there were enormous.

Massilia was a Greek city state allied to Rome. It did not possess a large army and the intelligent thing to do was to alert Rome of Hannibal's entry into the area. This they did, but Hannibal moved very quickly towards the Alps and no major battle took place. There was a cavalry skirmish between the Roman and Hannibal's cavalry.

The Romans did not engage Hannibal in a proper battle until he reached northern Italy because the Romans expected him to travel much slower and by one of the more predictable routes.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 07:47
Yes- i recall that many of his men fell down the chasms in the alps and all of his elephants died!

Also, what were Mago and Hamilcar's military abilities good? Were they as good as Hannibal? Mago seemed to make some assaults against Hanibals' abilities-
"Hannibal got victories but did not know how to use them"
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 07:48
[EDIT] MOST of his elephants!
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 07:56
By the time Trebbia was finished, Hannibal had only one elephant left. He reserved this as his own personal beast of burden.

The real issue with crossing the Alps was the local Gauls were able to effect rockslides and kill large numbers of men, on top of throwing missiles from their elevated positions. Hannibal, on the basis of his previous emissaries and intelligence, was thinking that the Gauls would be universally welcoming towards him and helpful against the Romans.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hannibal the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 10:27
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Yes- i recall that many of his men fell down the chasms in the alps and all of his elephants died!

Also, what were Mago and Hamilcar's military abilities good? Were they as good as Hannibal? Mago seemed to make some assaults against Hanibals' abilities-

I'm assuming you are talking about Hannibal's two brothers, Hamilcar was his father, Hasdrubal was his brother. In answer to your question neither of the two brothers were evidenced to be anywhere near Hannibal's level. Hasdrubal especially at the river Metarus showed himself to be an inept officer and Mago was killed in only his second battle as a general.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hannibal the Great Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 10:28
Originally posted by Earl Aster

I'm assuming you are talking about Hannibal's two brothers, Hamilcar was his father, Hasdrubal was his brother. In answer to your question neither of the two brothers were evidenced to be anywhere near Hannibal's level. Hasdrubal especially at the river Metarus showed himself to be an inept officer and Mago was killed in only his second important battle as a general.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 11:15
 I think the reasons for Scipio not confronting Hannibal in Italy are quite obvious, by invading Africa, the idea appears to have been that Carthage would recall Hannibal. Therefore Scipio would be indirectly ridding Italy of Hannibal without a single Italian being butchered in his forced expulsion.

The final confrontation would be on Scipios terms, where he wanted it and when, Hannibal could only react. Just as Hannibal had done to the Romans in the epic years after he invaded Italy, Scipio was dictating the course of events. Putting his opponent at a disadvantage and putting him in a position where Scipio was on top.

The irony of this was probably not lost on Hannibal, Scipio was playing Hannibal pretty much by his own game, by threatening Carthage Scipio forced Hannibal to confront him, ill prepared for the final battle.

ReljaSrb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ReljaSrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 00:16
Ok boys,for start hello.
I m learning about punic wars now,i have exam in septembar,and it is quite an interesting theme.
U r talking about battles,well,from which books r u giving me informations? Do u read Mashkin,Rostovcev and Dempster?
if u stop playing like a child,you will be lost forever in grove mans world...
Keep playing,and never forget to use your own imagination for the final move.
ReljaSrb View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ReljaSrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 00:40
when Hannibal army came across Alps,number of cavalry was 6000,and ordinary soldiers 20 000. Plus numerous of Gauls... That was big suprise for Romans,cause Publie Cornelius Scipio was already on his marsh for Spain in fort Masilia(greeks collony). But he return his army in north italy,and his brother Gney Scipio continiu marsh for Spain. Hannabl defeat Roamns near the river Trebia and after that came Trazimen lake 217 B.C.
Very important and VERY brave move was when Hanniabal lead his army across swamp Arno(where he lost one of his eyes),becuse Romans are concetrate there troups in Arimin and Arezzo,and lead by Flaminus. Carthagen brave leader make for his final goal few steps more,cause Romans think that they are still waiting for him. So he bet Flaminius near lake and Carthagens killed 15 000 Flaminius soldiers.After this batlle,road to Rome was never been closer,but...
if u stop playing like a child,you will be lost forever in grove mans world...
Keep playing,and never forget to use your own imagination for the final move.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 14:01

By Scipio invading Africa he would put Hannibal in the same position inwhich Hannibal had put other Romans in the past. That of aggessors. Meaning they would need to react in order to stop him from further destroying, meaning that they would have to confront him where it suited him not them. If Hannibal declined battle at Zama then scipio could carry on destroying and ravaging Africa as he pleased, as Hannibal did when he was in Italy. It was a most brilliant move.

The irony of this was probably not lost on Hannibal, Scipio was playing Hannibal pretty much by his own game, by threatening Carthage Scipio forced Hannibal to confront him, ill prepared for the final battle.

By that point in the war pretty much every general had learned to copy Hannibal. Scipio was certainly not the first. I would say Marcellus was the first to really begin to copy Hannibal's tactics.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 30-Aug-2006 at 14:03
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 22:35

By that point in the war pretty much every general had learned to copy Hannibal. Scipio was certainly not the first. I would say Marcellus was the first to really begin to copy Hannibal's tactics.

Even Dodge, the most absurd Hannibalphile of them all, admitted that Scipio's tactics were frequently of an original and... brilliant nature.  What Scipio really took from Hannibal's tactics was his use of a strong corp of independent cavalry.  In the initial stages of the second Punic war the Romans had frequently deployed their cavalry according to legionary standards in which individual detachments would be present with each legion.  While the leading general's of Rome, Mercellus Nero and Scipio, learned the folly of this approach it should be noted that Scipio's differed from Hannibal's in that Scipio used his heavy infantry as the decisive attacking force.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 09:29
While the leading general's of Rome, Mercellus Nero and Scipio, learned the folly of this approach it should be noted that Scipio's differed from Hannibal's in that Scipio used his heavy infantry as the decisive attacking force.

I dont think Rome still had much of a choice since even by the end it had a cavalry force that still paled in comparison to the Hellenistic or the Hellenistic copied Carthage. At best a large number of Numidian auxilla...
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:29
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

While the leading general's of Rome, Mercellus Nero and Scipio, learned the folly of this approach it should be noted that Scipio's differed from Hannibal's in that Scipio used his heavy infantry as the decisive attacking force.

I dont think Rome still had much of a choice since even by the end it had a cavalry force that still paled in comparison to the Hellenistic or the Hellenistic copied Carthage. At best a large number of Numidian auxilla...

The Numidians are regarded as some of the finest light horse in the ancient world, Hannibal relied on them heavily alongside his heavier Spanish and Punic cavalrymen.

Roman cavalry in sufficient numbers wasn't so bad, at Cannae despite being defeated, the outnumbered Roman cavalry on the right flank put up some fierce resistance against Hannibals Spanish horse before finally breaking. They were by no means the best, but in sufficient numbers were not useless.

It is true though that the Romans did throughout their history heavily relied upon foreign cavalry forces, Sarmatians used in Britain, Gauls in Parthia, Germans as household cavalry at different periods of Roman history. It's curious why in the face of such an obvious deficiency, the Romans did not see the need their own cavalry to improve, much as they seemed to regard a navy as unnecessary pre-Punic wars.

It's utterly bizarre that this hole was filled with so many foreign troops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>