Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Punic Wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Punic Wars
    Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 15:12
Roman cavalry in sufficient numbers wasn't so bad, at Cannae despite being defeated, the outnumbered Roman cavalry on the right flank put up some fierce resistance against Hannibals Spanish horse before finally breaking. They were by no means the best, but in sufficient numbers were not useless.

The battle on that flank became completely irregular and unorthodox. It was a tight squeezed battle inwhich most faugt on foot. Even so the struggle lasted a long while.

The Numidians are regarded as some of the finest light horse in the ancient world, Hannibal relied on them heavily alongside his heavier Spanish and Punic cavalrymen.

True. However at Cannae they were not strong enough to break through the Roman cavalry until the Carthagenian returned. They are were a great support force but on their own they were too lightly equiped.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 22:28
I dont think Rome still had much of a choice since even by the end it had a cavalry force that still paled in comparison to the Hellenistic or the Hellenistic copied Carthage. At best a large number of Numidian auxilla...

Irrelevent, given Scipio's reforms of the Roman infantry he could have formed a body of cavalry equal to Carthago's had he so desired.
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 23:22
Eek.  I should; I sort of left this hanging two years ago.  Well then, I think the first thing should be to correct the grammar and spelling mistakes, no?  Then figure out where I picked up from and then recollect everything I was using to write this.  I'll print what I have insofar out.  I'll have to re-read Adrian Goldworthy's book - since this I've been far more interested with the Second World War. Ack, I'll see.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2012 at 11:16
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:26
This might be of interest to Delenda
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 19:34
Found it.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:38
I understand the Carthaginians were initially better equipped than the Romans. However, the Romans were more adaptable and copied and improved captured equipment to give them an edge over their enemies
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 20:03
Actually the Romans were far better equipped as footsoldiers. They dis in fact steal ideas from any culture they met. They didn't invent much.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:23
I seem to recall reading the Romans didn't have a navy before the Punic Wars. They copied an abandoned Carthaginian warship and equipped it with a new weapon: a spiked gangplank to facilitate boarding
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:38
They did in fact have a navy or did. Twenty triremes plus any ships the Greek Italian cities had. The corvus was a good weapon but as the numerous fleets sunk showed wasn't practical. Rome didn't need a Carthaginian ship for knowlesge of how to build the ship. Her Greek cities would doubtless know how. However try were assembled quicker due to each piece being numbered and prefabricated allowing quicker building and more efficient. Its most likely a myth.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 19:34
Sounds like an early attempt at mass-production. Wasn't it FDR who said wars were won by the side with the biggest factories?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 19:46
Not sure. Carthage actually could've built far more than thwt. The real deciding factor was manpower to man them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123