Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards
    Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:02
No, sharing answers is no allowed.

Only 2 hours left in the first round.

" Hey, I am quite sure I got the 8th question right...Is there a problem?"

No, it's fine. Just that scores weren't updated until now.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 10:11
I'd wanted to try, but then I read the questions... 1 to 8 were doable, but I I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about any of the others, so I think I'll save myself the humiliation...

Gogo all you contestants! My deepest respect! May the best win!

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 11:30
Only half and hour left, until 5 PM GMT (6 PM central Europe, 12 PM EST)!

(Remember, if the scores aren't refershing, click on the link to open the table in a new window and press referesh - or - view the score table on the quiz page. Scores were last updated 1.5 hours ago)
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:07
That's it for round one. Round two will be ready in about an hour.

Scores at the start of round two will be posted shortly, as well as answers to round one questions.

Bonus Points for Round One Question authorship:
Decebal (17/17) =  1 for Question 19
Cavalry4ever (13/17) = .76 for Question 14

Rider's Question does not apply for Round One bonuses because it was not answered in round one.

However, if Rider's question is answered in round two by at least one person, Rider will receive 2 x (11/18) = 1.22 Points for that question.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:16
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:28
Round One answers have been posted in the first page of this thread.

Scores at the end of round one have also been updated.

If you have any questions or comments about the questions or the scoring, you may discuss them here on the forum.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:30
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:30
Wow, I am glad that I got 16th question right...Thumbs up for meTongue..

I thought, my answer was purely fitting the context, but I was thinking that the original answer might have not been this.

As round I is over now, I can say that, the one trick in the question is ; the definitions of the despot and the reformer was given right, but after you read the question, you somewhat get a tendency of thinking that the despot and reformer had worked together for many years, or had acted together for a long time, which is actually wrong...A bit more detail could have be added like this: "Reformer has been helped by the despot to get his position"

Nice question, poirotWink

Edit: I see now that I got it half of it right with Mahmud II...But the problem is:

The answer of this question for the "despot" part can also be Alemdar Mustafa Pasha, who was the despot governing Rusuk(Ruse) and helped Mahmud II to the throne, being Grand Vizier himself...He had administered the empire himself for many years, then Mahmud II executed Alemdar Mustafa Pasha..Mustafa Pasha had also made some allies for himself to get himself into power.So,I would say not enough clue was given to find out that the final result was Alemdar Mustafa Pasha or Tepedelenli Ali Pasha(the Ali Pasha mentioned in the answer), the answer can be both of them.And it can even be Mehmed Ali Pasha of Kavala...

Maybe the difference there is the poet....That was too hard to catch...

P.S: I have never heard Ali Pasha had formed alliances with Brits or French..What is your source out there?

Edited by Kapikulu - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:47
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:32
wowwww...decebal...Clap
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:38
I think that my answer of question 18 is correct.Why i have 0,5 points.At least can you tell me my mistake?
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:39
Lol congrats to Decebal. However, remember that round two questions are worth two points so the five players below decebal on the table can still win this quiz. Smile

I think that my answer of question 18 is correct.Why i have 0,5 points.At least can you tell me my mistake?

You didn't write in the name of the assasin and the (original) name of the King for that question, and Poirot was scoring strictly on parts.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:40
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:43
How stupid i am.Can you imagine to know the name of the assasin and not to write it.How i miss it.

Mamka mu!!!!!!
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:43
We must keep in mind ..we are versing 'The Decebal'...Exclamation
I must also say good work to Styrbiorn Thumbs Up, oh and Praetor lol
keep up the fantasmic work
peace out
Wacko

Edited by Knights - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:44
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:57
Round two questions with hints are up!

Round two will last exactly 24 hours, until 7 PM (Central Europe) 6 PM (GMT), 1 PM (North America EST).

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Oct-2006 at 12:58
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:25
Kapikulu,

The term alliance is used loosely.  If I remember correctly, Ali Pasha of Janina/Yanya needed French assistance to extend his interests in the Adriatic/Ionian Sea, but switched to favor the English upon Napoleon's defeat.

Question 16 was the last question made for the quiz.  Just before the quiz started, Imperator and I decided that in order for the quiz to reflect the diversity of All Empires, we needed a question on the Ottoman Empire, given the number of Turkish members in the forum.

I tried to add many constraints to my questions this time around so that questions are not ambiguous.  In fact, it is why my questions - even the harder ones - were answered so easily by Decebal and other masters.   Looking back on question 16, I confess I could have put more constraints and lessened the prose a bit - if Imperator and I had more time. 

Indeed, the Lord Byron bit was a constraint - an important one actually because it also hints about Greek independence. 

Edited by poirot - 28-Oct-2006 at 14:01
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:43
Why didn't I get a point for question 20? I answered "(Maratha King) Shivaji" and I submitted it together with Q8 and Q18. Is it b/c you wanted to wtite a few things about him?

Oh, I was so close to answer Q9Unhappy I thought that it was a Khan (after Genghis) and the hint "I set up my capital close to a 'sea' " helped me (I automatically thought of the Caspian 'Sea'). However, as I don't know much about Khans, I couldn't find the right oneOuch Too many people after Genghis lol

I should also find Ali Pasha Tepelenli; I am from Janina Embarrassed
If only I had paid more attention to this question, instead of quiting without even trying...

Edited by Neoptolemos - 28-Oct-2006 at 14:11
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:44
glce2003,

For question 18, there are three constraints that differentiate the answer from any typical prince plots against king answer:

1. The intervention of a court doctor, as explained in the answer key.

2. The ambassador carrying a map of a region in the prince's realm.  The region was a very fertile area in the state of Yan.  Prince Dan knew that  Zheng, the king of Qin, desired that fertile area, and thus had the assassin carry such a map.  The murder weapon - a short sword/dagger - was hidden within the map, which was then rolled up.

3. The ambassador also carried the head of someone the king wanted dead.  That someone was an ex-Qin general who escaped from the state of Qin to the state of Yan.  When the ex-Qin general heard about the plot to assassinate King Zheng, he volunteered his own head for Jing Ke, the assassin, as a lure. 

The map and the head allowed Prince Dan to fool King Zheng of Qin into meeting the fake ambassador from the state of Yan.

Edited by poirot - 28-Oct-2006 at 13:47
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:33
" Why didn't I get a point for question 20? I answered "(Maratha King) Shivaji""

Sorry that was a scoring error and will be fixed at the next update. You're fine.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:45
No, sharing answers is no allowed.

Well, it's not in the rules at the start of the quiz. Disapprove But ok.Ouch

Edited by JanusRook - 28-Oct-2006 at 14:45
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 16:41
Scores Updated: All questions have been answered! 

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Oct-2006 at 16:41
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 19:06
Bummer - I missed the quiz this time. It was exactly on the time for my departure and travelling home from vacation.
The authors did a great job - really good questions.Thumbs Up

"I'll be back" - next time!

~ Northman
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 19:07
DECEBAL!!!!

How did you get my question??? I was SOOOOO hoping it wouldn't be answered...

Please tell me who you all considered the possible answers for that question.

EDIT:

And why did you deform the hint? ...

And an order can't have a 'prince' in the meaning of the 'son of a king' but all of the rulers in HRE (lower class ones) were 'princes' of some sort.

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 28-Oct-2006 at 19:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>