Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards
    Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 00:25
That form is actually out of data and is no longer used. Instead, use this form to submit questions to the new engine:

http://www.allempires.com/TQ/submit_question.php

For upcoming TQ's we probably won't be relying on user submitted questions as much as we did in the past (when sometimes the vast majority of question were user-submitted). But if you have a good question, we'll be happy to include it on the quiz.
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 01:51
This was my first Total Quiz experience and I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the next one.
Congrats to Decebal for winning another TQ and also to those who almost managed to dethrone him:) Clap
Appreciation goes to Poirot and Imperator Invictus for organising and running the Quiz Thumbs Up

Edited by Neoptolemos - 30-Oct-2006 at 01:52
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 04:00
One thing. I had the first answers, although not many, but yet the first.

Congrats to all, especially Dawn and Knights.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 04:27
Congrats and well done.

I'm afraid I could only partake on one day - I promise to put up a better fight next time, Decebal.

I'm a bit sour I didn't beat the Norwegian though

Very nice set of questions too, cudos to the mods.
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

About my own question I did provide very subtle hints. The King was chosen (elected). The word coronation implied post-Roman and European history and massacre (religious masacres were most common in that period).
Congratulation to those who answered it.    

Don't worry, it certainly wasn't too hard; election and dual kingship screams Poland, Bohemia and Hungary (and Scandinavia, though that didn't fit with the rest). I went through all their kings but managed to miss the correct one in the hurry.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:16
Originally posted by Dawn

Congrates Decabel  I think that puts you one up on me maybe two.  You are a mighty Champ.  hopefully next time I will have less work and more time to give you a better run

Knight -  excellant play and great finnish look forward to meeting you again.

Stryborn - you still got it.  
On to question style and type. 

Originally posted by rider

Congrats to all, especially Dawn and Knights.

Fine go ahead and Ignore meCry.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:22
hahahaha lol pooooor Praetor, being looked over Tongue
Good work though, even if you DIDN'T win! hehe
Man that question 17 was very trixy...as was most of the other 'teen' questions!
Wacko

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:34
Sorry, praetor, but as you can see, I have sent you a pm... I think that compensates things. But, then great work you have done.

Hey you, preator and knights, do you know each other? I think I understood it so from Knights' discussion.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 09:50
Praetor  I am sorry.   You did excellant as well  Look forward to playing against you next time.

Styrborn - A Swede can't beat a Norwegian but you can try again next timeWink

Rider- Solving question 17 for me was like this -  In round one I thought it had to do with Estionia because of coments you made awhile back in another thread but I didn't really look at it much and concintrated my time on questions that others had answered. In round 2 I started reading estonian history and desided thatthe "enamy that I surendered to" was Sweden in 1561 and then looked for who was ruling at that time. The painter and artist had little to do with it other than to confirm that it was possibly the right person.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 11:11
But the 'enemy whom I surrendered to' was Poland... Kettler opposed that idea of surrendering to Sweden, although he had first sided it. 

But I wonder what those comments were like to have you think of Estonia. Wierd. But I am grateful you didn't solve it in the First round. That gave made 1.22 points. Thanks,
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 14:03
Well played everyone, congrats Decebal and to the rest of the winners!  I'll see you all next time. 

I really liked questions 17 and 18 the most.  riders question was the most challenging for me, and 18 was just very interesting i thought. 
Kilroy was here.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 14:18
I hope you learned something in the progress of challenge?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 15:25
I sure did! 
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 19:18
Originally posted by rider

But the 'enemy whom I surrendered to' was Poland... Kettler opposed that idea of surrendering to Sweden, although he had first sided it. 

But I wonder what those comments were like to have you think of Estonia. Wierd. But I am grateful you didn't solve it in the First round. That gave made 1.22 points. Thanks,

I know that now but at the time I was thinking sweden and that is what sent me in the right direction. As to comments it was something to do with a lot of really hard questions with the answers only to be found in books on Estonia.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 21:35
Gah! I even looked at the Wikipedia pages for both those people, and got neither! Angry
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 02:13
Wikipedia has an entry on Kettler but that is extremely short and useless. You can only check from it that the Duchy of Courland was taken over by Russians.

Originally posted by Dawn

I know that now but at the time I was thinking sweden and that is what sent me in the right direction. As to comments it was something to do with a lot of really hard questions with the answers only to be found in books on Estonia.

Now I remember saying that... it proved good to you.

Well, you had a normal result and better than the most, so I think that you should be happy (although Decebal got away....)
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 03:53
"praetor I am sorry"
Apology acceptedThumbs Up. I also found finding our good friend Kettler extremly difficult, the Baltic hint helped tremendously and from then on I used logic (and a combination of Wikipedia and a internet Baltic history encyclopaedia) to find him at the last moment! Question 20 was rather fun I was surprised I thought of Shivaji as fast as I didCool, I know very little about Indian history. On a final note the fierce competition here (Dawn, Styrborn etc) made it all the more addictive, Hopefully with some gained experience me and Knights should be able to give the amighty Decebal a run for his moneyClap

Edited by Praetor - 31-Oct-2006 at 03:55
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:05
Besides, you may never know when another Baltic question comes... and it seems that Aussies are vastly better in those than others...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:19
haha Serious?? Wow! Did any other Australians compete in the Total Quiz other than Praetor and I?

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 07:03
Where are the answers to round 2 questions?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 09:36
Ok I've updated the front thread with the answers. They were also posted around page 6 or so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>