Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz XIII - Results and Awards
    Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:08
Woh Kilroy...mad skills...you got q11!Thumbs Up
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:41
Great work you all. Congradulations for winning Decebal.

Knights, I am glad that you found out the correct answer for Q17. Although I must thank you for telling me about Sikkar, had never heard of him beforehand.

Invictus, I think that the three replies to one question you have presented in your last post of my question are wrong. I perhaps left in only the first question in the final format, so you can erase the year and name of the Duchy.

Invictus, vote for favourite Question? May I vote for mine, I really liked it, as it was in this 'poirotish' style (atleast a little) and it made me so happy inside when I read it again and again (not to mention, I got the most points for that one). If I can't vote for mine, then the next possibility would be the one where the answer was Irene, can't tell you the number now though.

Kapikulu, I first let the 11th pass between my eyes. Then, as Mila had submitted it, started thinking of the Middle Eastern tribes and then turned my eyes on the Algerian ruling dynasty (who was with an 'Z') but had no time or will to progress from that.

Decebal, perhaps you haven't seen Knights because he has just registered?

Anyways, I was asking, that in Question 17, by which line of thoughts did you come to the right answer? And who were some of the others you suggested. Decebal, why did you come to think of the Baltic region immediately? I know that I would have begun thinking of the Steppes of Far Asia on the moment I read it.

Sidenote: Hope to see similiar ones in the following Quizes. Perhaps, we could shorten the break between two TQ's from three months to two months? I know that poirot has enough questions.

[EDIT: Actually not, I think now, this would ruin the speciality of the TQ in some time.]

Edited by rider - 29-Oct-2006 at 14:51
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:47
Haha yeh, I only just joined AE Smile
Yes I certainly wouldnt mind if the time between Total Quizzes was shortened, they are a lot of fun, AND VERY CHALLENGING!
In saying that, I've only been in one, so I dont know what to make of previous ones.

One question: How do we vote for our favourite question?

Good work all

Peace outThumbs Up
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:52
I d othink that you'll just say the favourite one on this topic.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 14:56
Here are my comments on the questions:

1-7 were obviously meant to be the easier questions. 7 gave some people a little bit of trouble, since it looks like the wikipedia which many use as a reference is unclear about the history surrounding the question. Hopefully, my explanation clarifies any confusion about that question. On the other hand, there weren't many possibilities for answers, so most people got that right.

8,9, 10 were meant to be a little more involved. The key to 8 was probably the name of the figures mentioend, and the key to 9 was probably the phrase "Terrorized the continent." Personally, I was surprised at how easy 10 was for most people, probably because I know next to nothing about literature of that period.

11 This TQ is the first in a while for which I did not write any "hard" questions and most of the questions came from a single writer. 11, along with Decebal's and Rider's were included to add some variety to the question authorship. Question 11 was a huge surprise to us in terms of the actual difficulty. You can see that we placed it only ranked 11th in predicted difficulty, while it advanced to the second round. I think the combination of obscurity and the lack of solid clues made this question quite difficult in the end. In general, there are two types of "hard" questions: cryptic questions leading to well-known answers, and cryptic questions leading to obscure answers. We try to create questions of the first type, but I guess this was was a little off in the question picking.

12 Wasn't as hard as planned. It looks like people are well familiar with Carrhae and the Parthian-Rome conflict.

I thought was about a more obscure historical character. However, the requirement for being a woman probably narrowed down the question significantly.

14 was one that we originally had a few concerns about its practicality. The main issue that Poirot pointed out is that it was too "simple," containing too few clues. It was one of the questions for which you either knew the answer or you didn't, and apparatly we estimated this question to be easier than what it was.

15 "very large in area but with very little population" probably hinted strongly at the colonization period. Overall, this was a good question. I liked it.

16 This question is written in a cryptic fashion, although the events it described were rather significant in history. When we were making the quiz, Poirot noticed that we didn't have any questions on Turkish history and this was the result.

17 We originally thought this was a very hard question, and It turned out to be true. Unlike what we thought, it turns out that the topic described in this question was less-known than those in questions 18, 19, and 20.

18, 19, 20 were all hard questions.

Overall, I though the questions were pretty good this time around. I'd say compared to the past few Total Quizzes, the topics covered in this one were more diverse, which may be good or bad for some.

I wonder what questions we'll have next time. Wink

How do we vote for our favourite question?

You can just say it in this thread. In the future, we can have a more technical way of doing this. (I forgot about this when I was making the new quiz engine).

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Oct-2006 at 15:28
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 15:00
Lol yeh, never mind, anywhere is fine!

Well then, I must say that the Question about Atahuallpa and His Brothers was fairly challenging but quite well structured. I like question 1 too Big smile

Edited by Knights - 29-Oct-2006 at 15:01
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 15:24
Does the 'obscure' way mean that you write in the style that 'I am/was a great something...'?
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 15:32
Question 11.It was definitley very hard.Only one person answered it.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:11
Breakdown of Quiz questions by region (regions may overlap for questions):

Western Europe related =  3

Eastern Europe related = 3

North America = 2

South America = 1

Islamic World =  4

Subsaharan Africa = 1

East Asia = 2

South Asia = 1

Southeast Asia = 1

Ancient/classical world = 4

Steppes = 1

Smile  I hope the total quiz this time around reflects All Empires as being an international forum.

Edited by poirot - 29-Oct-2006 at 18:06
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:27
Sure does...I thought it was a very well laid out quiz, with a good variety of questions Clap Go Poirot!
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:46
Congrates Decabel  I think that puts you one up on me maybe two.  You are a mighty Champ.  hopefully next time I will have less work and more time to give you a better run

Knight -  excellant play and great finnish look forward to meeting you again.

Stryborn - you still got it.  
On to question style and type. 

As II said there are several types of questions that are used.  "The cryptic questions leading to well-known answers, and cryptic questions leading to obscure answers" plus one he didn't mention  the "ambiguous impossible to reason a starting point" question. These contain alot of pronouns and no clues.

reason for playing comes in here. If you play because you like to show of your knowledge then all types of questions are enjoyable but If you play because of lets call it "the thrill of the hunt" then true cyptic questions be the well known or obscure are great but ambiguios ones "suck".  They make the whole quiz rather frustrating and tedious. It comes down to plays on words and very small hints that send you on the chase reading like mad and hopfully learning a thing or two in the process.

onward:

Questions 1-7 where the warm up ones. I think it was a really great idea when II started this format a few quizzes ago. Good way to learn little tidbits and get into the swing of things.

8-9-10
really good questions particularly 9 although 10 was really cool too.

11  i'll leave till the end

12 was great very easy if your mind went the right direction but a real twister I think if you got off on the wrong foot.

13 rated a lower ranking than it got. but still nicely worded

14   Nasty in a good way nice question.

15- Poriot did you really think it would fool Decabel or I for more than 30 seconds.  but I love to see Canadianish history included (we have so little of it) thanks for writting it. Hug  

16,18, 20  great questions particulairly 16
19-  gave lots of info , I just wasn't getting it not the questions fault.

11,17  the type of questions I truely hate. ambiguios to the point of being hard to read and understand. no way to reason a starting point even the clues where next to no use.  although question 17 produced some interesting reading learned lots about Estionia and Revel (lovely city Rider are you lucky enough to live near there and see the buildings in person?)  

Best question: 9   (15 is the sentamental favorite)

Edited by Dawn - 29-Oct-2006 at 16:48
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 17:01
Dawn, I agree with you in general. The best questions are tuned to give you "a hunt" as you mentioned. Of course, it is not easy to write such questions.
Good questions can sometime take an hour to write because they have to be fine tuned in their clues. 

Edited by Imperator Invictus - 29-Oct-2006 at 17:04
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 17:46
This was a good quiz and I enjoyed all questions with exeception of 11 and 17. Thanks to Poirot for great and consistent questions.
What follows is few thoughts about some of these questions:

Question 11 -
Zaydi is not a tribe, it is a religious sect related to Shia muslims. Its story is pretty interesting. We need to be carful about words we use.
I think using the word tribe was misleading.

In the question 17 using expression " I lived in the dark century of conflicts" was a bit misleading, because it pointed in the direction of dark ages or middle ages. In term of warfare the century in question is not darker than most of centuries in Europe. The Baltic region of Europe had also more of turncoat leaders than any other.

About my own question I did provide very subtle hints. The King was chosen (elected). The word coronation implied post-Roman and European history and massacre (religious masacres were most common in that period).
Congratulation to those who answered it.

My favorite question was question 12.

When we provide clues, we should make sure that they are not misleading.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 29-Oct-2006 at 18:23
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 18:11
Originally posted by Dawn

although question 17 produced some interesting reading learned lots about Estionia and Revel (lovely city Rider are you lucky enough to live near there and see the buildings in person?)

Thanks, I do live in Reval, although nowadays it is more commonly known as Tallinn. See the buildings in person? Well, yeah, if they still exist I can go whereever I want and see any building. I do hope you enjoyed your little class on Estonian history. I hope that the next quiz, my questions will be easier for you (on Estonia and the Balticum... got some good ideas).

I would like to know how exactly your mind found out the correct answer? Suspected it being from the Baltics the first moment as I posted it or were distracted by the deaths of a Flemish and Italian?

Originally posted by cavalry4ever

In the question 17 using " I lived in the dark century of conflicts" was a bit misleading, because it pointed in the direction of dark ages. The century in question is not darker than many other centuries in Europe. That region had also a lot of turncoat leaders.

I am sorry if the quotes mislead you, I intended people to think of 'a century of dark conflicts' in the matter of fact; but 'dark century' fit there too. The Reformation; Counter-Reformation; many wars in Northern Europe (some extremely bloody); then the extermination of Latin American civilizations... well, I am sorry if it mislead you. And I am well aware of the fact that both, in the previous century and in the next century, there were more wars.

Edited by rider - 29-Oct-2006 at 18:18
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 20:50
...and now, it's time for
Total Quiz XIII
Awards

First of all, thank you all for participating. At 20 questions and 40 participants, this is the most successful Total Quiz to date. Participation in this quiz was nearly double that of recent quizzes, so I'm glad you all had fun in this exciting events. Without further ado, Poirot and I present the following awards for Total Quiz XIII:

Moderator Awards

The New Player Award

for outsanding performance as a first-time participant goes to:
Knights & Praetor

Praetor and Knights played collaboratively so they will be recognized together.

The Quickest Answerer Awards
for being most rapid in answering questions at the beginning of the quiz goes to:
Decebal

Total Quiz Main Awards

Third Place
For having the third most points in the final results, goes to:
Dawn, Styrbiorn, and Kilroy

Second Place
For having the second most points, goes to:
Knights, Praetor

and finally, the award for the
Winner of Total Quiz XIII,
for having the most points, goes to...

Decebal

Congratulations to Decebal for winning his fourth title. As the current champion, Decebal may carry the above signature until the next Total Quiz in January.

All first, second, and third-pace winners have been added to the list of successful participants.

Congratulations to all winners!

We had a great time moderating this TQ and we hope you'll play again next time!

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 21:09
And I must mention that Imperator Invictus did an incredible job upgrading the Total Quiz engine.  The smooth quiz experience could not have taken place without his technical expertise!!!!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 21:19
              Awards for best Quiz Moderators          

Goes to...Poirot and Imperator Invictus

*Great job guys, I say the quiz was a fantastic success; Looking forward to January!!!*Clap

Lol yes Praetor and I did work collaboratively, but I must say that i learnt a heck of a lot throughout the process!

peace out

Alex Thumbs Up

PS.Congrats to Decebal (again), as well as Styrbiorn, Dawn and Kilroy.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 21:24
Thanks Everyone me and Knights had an excellent time (and a gruelling challenge) answering these questions! sorry for bieng the least social award winner. and I know my teammate's said it a hundred timesWacko already but thank you Poirot, Imperator Invictus and all the others who worked on this Great quiz.

hmmmmm.....favourite question, well I know what my least favourite question is: 16 because I almost had it! However my favourite question would probably (I'ts close) be Question 9 because it didn't come to me at first but then came in a moment of inspiration that was confirmed by a brief search.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 22:12
Ah yes, one question: How do you get to make and submit questions for the Total Quizzes?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 23:39
Think up your question then submit it here http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1914
If the PTB find it good then they pick it and you are in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>