Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The House of Flying Daggers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The House of Flying Daggers
    Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 16:32
Hi,

I just (re)viewed the movie, entitled 'the House of Flying Daggers'. I do find that movie quite interesting although it raises soem good questions, that are normal to come with such movies...

So,

1) Did such a guild exist in the Tang China of that period (847 AD, if I remember it correctly from the beginning)?

2) Is/was such fighting possible (men flying around, making swords that bend so much...  what were those swords made of... is it possible to throw a dagger like that)??

3) Was the uniform the soldiers wore true or not? Was it different from county to county or one in all Tang China?

4) Would a soldier be so skilled with weapons?

Thanks for any replies,

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 18:20
For me I raised quite a different issue coming out so close to the release of Revenge of the Sith.

Despite all the hype, all the publicity, it just made RotS look antiquated, an exercise in seventies film making. House of Flying daggers is the cutting edge of filmmaking and what the original Star Wars was. And after watching it, RotS a poor piece of filmmaking. I bet George Lucas hated it.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 19:11
Originally posted by rider

3) Was the uniform the soldiers wore true or not? Was it different from county to county or one in all Tang China?

I think all the costumes were designed by a Japanese designer. I am pretty sure she must have based her designs on the original Tang costumes but have modified them enormously for aesthetic reasons.  

Edited by flyingzone - 25-Oct-2006 at 19:11
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 04:41

Hi,

I just (re)viewed the movie, entitled 'the House of Flying Daggers'. I do find that movie quite interesting although it raises soem good questions, that are normal to come with such movies...

So,

1) Did such a guild exist in the Tang China of that period (847 AD, if I remember it correctly from the beginning)?

2) Is/was such fighting possible (men flying around, making swords that bend so much...  what were those swords made of... is it possible to throw a dagger like that)??

Thanks for any replies,

1) A guild of similiar nature may have existed around 847 A.D.  9th century Tang Dynasty was a period where the empire fractioned into civil unrest and warlord conflicts.  Rebellions, especially with Huang Zhuo in the 890s, were prevalent towards the end.

2) Yes and no.  If you see a wooden spear bend so much, laugh out loud, because it is a violation of physics.  Imperator can tell you more about it - unless the spear is made out of a twig, it is likely against natural laws.  Metal sheets are more bendable, so that depends.

The level of flying - not to mention the absolute disregard of g = 9.81 m/s/s - seen in the movie is the creation of 21st century cinema.

3) The uniforms you see are not uniforms of soldiers, but rather the uniforms of police constables.  I doubt if the uniforms are a true depiction of police uniforms in the Tang dynasty, but the hat is more or less correct.  To answer your second question, during the late Tang Dynasty (post Anlushan Rebellion or after the 750s), military district commanders seized military power from central authority.  Each military district commander raised his own troops and essentially functioned as the "emperor" of his district.  It was common for warlords from different districts to make wars against one another, and I believe military districts would need distinct uniforms to distinguish friend from foe.

4) Again, depends on the frequency of combat. 

Edited by poirot - 26-Oct-2006 at 04:46
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 04:53
My general comments about the House of Flying Daggers are as follows:

1. The movie would have made more sense if the setting were shifted to the Ming Dynasty and the two police constables be enunchs for the Eastern Depot.

2.  The film is an achievement in visual beauty, but has nothing else.  The storyline is cliched and has very little substance.  Slightly better than Crouching Tiger, etc, but honestly, I fell asleep while watching it.

3. The ending made no sense at all.  It is another example of how big budgets, lavish sets, and beautiful visuals are wasted in overtly modern cliches.

To bring a tangible analogy, the movie resembles a glamorous supermodel with a superficial personality - beautiful to look at, but if you look deep, you find that there is very little inside.

Edited by poirot - 26-Oct-2006 at 04:56
AAAAAAAAAA

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 10:24
I would yet say that RotS was a lot better to my eyes and ears. Nothing surpasses John Williams.

Thanks to everyone,

Originally posted by Poirot

) Yes and no.  If you see a wooden spear bend so much, laugh out loud, because it is a violation of physics.  Imperator can tell you more about it - unless the spear is made out of a twig, it is likely against natural laws.  Metal sheets are more bendable, so that depends.

The level of flying - not to mention the absolute disregard of g = 9.81 m/s/s - seen in the movie is the creation of 21st century cinema.

Yes, I was alos thinking that the men must have been superb or whatever for them to bend the laws of physics like that.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 12:50

How on earth does one think that the movie is set in the Tang? Police constables(bu kuai) hello??!!

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 13:02
Perhaps the movie credits tell us that?
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 13:05

I did not like the movie.  It was visually appealing but that was it.  There was no story.  Way too much daggers flying around.  Even that hot looking girl did not help the movie.

The swords used, was it accurate?  I think the customes were pretty close, but it had a Ming/Qing look to it. 

In summary I hated this movie.  The best martial arts movie I saw was "Hero".  Being critical, but they should have tone down on the flying too. 

Jiangwei

Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 14:12

Hi,

So,

Thanks for any replies,

1) In the late Tang, there were many militia groups that were formed to overthrow the Tang regime. If you mean secret society like the triad, I don't think it was formed until the post Ming Dynasty.

2) It is part of the Chinese wuxia culture that swordmen are capable of flying around in the mid-air and perform some of the dazzling move. I believe it stemmed from the early 20th century wuxia novel. The sword that depicted look like Da Dao, which wasn't invented until the Song Dynasty.

Here is how the Tang 's era sword looks like:

3) The costume is loosely based on the historic Tang era costume, but not 100% accurate. Notably the hat, I believe it is called pu tou in Chinese, traditionally is made out of black fabric, unlike the one depicted in the movie, which look like it is made out of leather or plastic. Another thing is during the Tang Dynasty, I don't think  soldier or local authority had the huge Chinese character sported in their chest like the one you see in the movie. It is most likely developed in the Ming Dynasty era. And Yes, like what Jiangweibaoye said, the garment that Ziyi Zhang put on in the beginning of the movie has Manchus element in it, which of course didn't take place until 700 years later after the Tang .

Here are some of the paintings from Tang Dynasty that show how the real Tang Chinese men were like:

4) Yes. There were many great warriors in Tang Dynasty especially the early Tang era. Even Li shimin, the second Tang Emperor, was known for his swordmanship in the battle in his early years.

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by poirot

3. The ending made no sense at all.  It is another example of how big budgets, lavish sets, and beautiful visuals are wasted in overtly modern cliches.
One reason why the ending made no sense was because of the death of Anita Mui.

She was casted to take the role of "Big Sister", but ill health prevented the filming of her scenes.

The film-makers were hoping against hope to complete the movie by filming her parts later when she was in better condition, but alas, it was not to be.

Here is the unforgivable part - rather than re-writing the scripts or casting a new actress for her role, the film makers had the duenna fulfill the role of "Big Sister" and wrapped up the film shoddily.

So, of course it doesn't make any sense.
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 22:52

I never saw the House of Flying Daggers, but I've seen plenty of other Hong Kong flicks. Speaking of which, Battle of Red Cliffs, John Woo, featuring Chow Yun Fatt, coming in 2008, just in time for the Olympics! Woo-hoo! God that's so far away. Lol.

Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 26-Oct-2006 at 22:53
skylance View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

suspended

Quote skylance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 21:50
as a Chinese, I hate this stupid movie,the director is more like a bad tasted countryfied photographer,the only thing could link this movie with Tang dynasty is it's time.

<crouching tiger,hidden dragon> is geatly better,it has mixed elegant individual imagination and serious history thinking,more from natural Chinese views(at least partly),not freely arificial like <the house of thousand daggers>.

Edited by skylance - 29-Oct-2006 at 21:53
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 04:00
I really liked crouching tiger hidden dragon, but I don't think attributing "serious history thinking" to it is appropriate. Defintely a nice imagination.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 05:13
I don't think Crouching Tiger is anymore realistic than House of Flying Daggers. Both are fantasy movies, next you'll be criticising Lord of the Rings and Troy of being historically inacurate in some places.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 05:39
Many Chinese, Japanese, and Korean historical movies tend to copy Hollywood and waste money on lavish sets e.g. HOFD, Crouching Animals, and Heros of Heaven and Earth.

Two movies that I recommend are Musa the Warrior and The Emperor and the Assassin.

Although not historically accurate, Musa the Warrior has great action sequences that are at least somewhat realistic. 

I personally thought the Emperor and the Assassin was much much much better than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.  It features even more celebrities (more than Flying Daggers, Hero, and Crouching Tiger combined.  Every minor character in the film is a celebrity making a cameo appearance), and actually does not have a martial arts focus - something I respect given the redundant number of martial arts love fests in the market.  The actual sequences are mostly realistic and do not feature flying people and bendable swords.  Soldiers' uniforms are quite accurate, for once.  P.S. scores on the previous total quiz would have been improved if anyone had seen this film.

Edited by poirot - 30-Oct-2006 at 05:51
AAAAAAAAAA

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 07:41
Oh poirot, everything circles around the TQ.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 08:36
I loved the movie, but I require nothing else but mindless aesthetics to do so. Historical accuracy I get enough of in my studies.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 18:15
The Emperor and the Assassin is a great movie, also it is reason why I got that question on the quiz right.
skylance View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

suspended

Quote skylance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 20:55
Originally posted by Paul

I don't think Crouching Tiger is anymore realistic than House of Flying Daggers. Both are fantasy movies, next you'll be criticising Lord of the Rings and Troy of being historically inacurate in some places.

Disapprove<crouching tiger hidden dragon>'s history thinking is more about chinese life style and philosophy,and the photography shows the director's loyalty to old hongkong movies,and the music is based on traditional chinese opera.yes,Li An wants to show the beauty of  old China about one hundred years ago and which based on realistical stuff mostly.

the purpose of Li An is to show his respect to traditional Chinese value and beauty in <crouching tiger,hidden dragon>.(maybe partly for realizing a boy's movie dream)

on the contrary,the director of <house of thousand daggers>,Zhang Yimou is lack of ability to find beauty (of history,of past,of others') and respect it.what he wants to show is only himself.and I don't like his countryfied taste and his pale story.

Edited by skylance - 30-Oct-2006 at 21:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>