Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Siege of Constantinople

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Siege of Constantinople
    Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 00:47
Hah Turkics also saved the West When Khazars defeated the Arabs
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 06:37
But Khazars didnt stop the invasion of Islam.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 17:51
As always , you overestimate Khan Tervel's help to the Romans... Abandon your nationalistic point of view ...

saviour of Europe... pffff

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 19:25
Originally posted by Krum

Imagine what would happen if Tervel helped Arabs?Would Byzantine Empire have any chance?

I assume Tervel was wise enough to see that if Byzantine Empire fell, he was not strong enough to compete with the Arabs.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 21:43
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Imagine what would happen if Tervel helped Arabs?Would Byzantine Empire have any chance?

I assume Tervel was wise enough to see that if Byzantine Empire fell, he was not strong enough to compete with the Arabs.

Exactly correct, Tervel was a very clever politician.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 03:04
Originally posted by Athanasios

As always , you overestimate Khan Tervel's help to the Romans... Abandon your nationalistic point of view ...

saviour of Europe... pffff

May I remind you that Tervel was named "saviour of Europe" not by huimself or by the Bulgars? Not that you yourself would abandon any nationalistic view you might have in mind only because of it...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 05:42
Originally posted by NikeBG

Not that you yourself would abandon any nationalistic view you might have in mind only because of it...

How could one barbar be a saviour of Europe? Moreover, how could one Bulgarian be such? LOL
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 06:44
Honourable titles given to people are done for winning them to side with you... Everybody likes them... it doesn't mean that they are true.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 15:40
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_arab_siege_of_constantinople

If it wasn't the almighty and undefeatble proto-bulgar cavalry all of Europe would be muslim.

The Ottomans held the entire Balkan peninsula, is it all muslim?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 15:43

The romans were scared and called Khan Tervel for help the bulgar army didn't come as volunteers.
If Constantinople's walls were such a major advantage they woudn't have called the bulgars for help.And just compare the casualties the arabs gave to bulgarians and the ones they gave to byzantines...

They were more or less unbreachable, they needed infantry to secure its flank so that the region around Thrace is sustained. In all the sieges of Constantinople that had been sucessful there were elements of chance or luck involved. The fortifications were really impressive for their time, that is why they still stand today largerly in tact.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 15:44
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The romans were scared and called Khan Tervel for help the bulgar army didn't come as volunteers.
If Constantinople's walls were such a major advantage they woudn't have called the bulgars for help.And just compare the casualties the arabs gave to bulgarians and the ones they gave to byzantines...

Yes but the Byzantines were solely responsible for defeating the Arabs at sea, for which they must be given credit. Also, the Bulgars did not hit the Arabs until after the Arabs had launched many attacks against Constantinople while they were fresh. By the time the Bulgars did attack the Arabs, the Arabs were literally starving and suffering from an awful winter. So let's no give too much credit to one side in this war, it was a team effort for which both can take credit.

Good summary of the events Constantine.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 15:54

Werent arabians more advanced than europeans in 8th century.

Not more than the Byzantines.

That isn't exactly correct either. They may have been on a similar footing, however, the various invasions, and the internal turmoil caused a decline in Byzantine society as well, unrest does not favour education broadly, centers yes, but rather isolated than widespread.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 16:00

Originally posted by bg_turk

As I myself have hinted at earlier, this really was a team effort of which both civilisations can take a lot of pride in. By defeating this invasion they saved Western Civilisation and did a great service to humanity.

Who knows? If the Bulgars did not prevent the Arabs from crushing byzantium, Europe may have been liberated by the progressive forces in the East and may never have had to go through the dark ages. Western Civilisation ( or rather lack thereof), which brought about the inquisution, colonialism and the destruction of the native peoples of America, may have been stamped out by the progressive forces of Islam. It would have been a very different world then - a world in which Copernicus was never burnt for his ideas, a world in which America still beloned to its rightful owners.

Progressive forces from the east? The same east which today is largely a collection of despotisms, dictatorships, absolute monarchies and theocracies; as compared to the West which is largely made up of secular, liberal democratic states?

Islam has shown itself to be just as assiduous in persecuting religious deviants as Christianity and just as willing to conquer other lands for the sake of its own aggrandizement. Islam also showed itself more than willing to impose itself through conquest on foreign people as the West, the only reason they never did so like the West has done over the past 500 years has been its relative insularity and lack of technological and military backing. Islam's intellectual and progressive drive largely began to peter out in the 13th century and it became more insular and conservative, while shortly after the West began its revival and has led the world in progress and innovation ever since.

Also the Dark Ages occurred largely because Western Europe was cut off from the mercantile and urban exchange in the Mediterannean world by the arrival of Islam, not because of any inherent ideological deficiencies in the organisation of Western Civilisation.

This had already happened before the rise of Islam. The rise of Islam gave a science and learning friendly theology to that region, which in turn produced some of the most profound scientific and cultural advancements in that time.

I sincerely recomend your read

Venture Islam Vol. I and II by the late and great Marshall H Hodgson

Edited by es_bih - 21-Mar-2007 at 16:01
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 22:02
By the time the Bulgars did attack the Arabs, the Arabs were literally starving and suffering from an awful winter.

Just to point out again that the arabs were starving exactly because of the Bulgars who had them incircled in the autumn.
Unity makes Strenght
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 00:36
Originally posted by bg_turk

Originally posted by Chilbudios

Copernicus was never burnt. How could Islam provide a better alternative to a world you don't know?

I mixed Copernicus and Bruno. This does not change the argument. It was a time when the muslim world was more advanced than the backward theocratic christians - it was in the muslim world where mathematic, astrnomy and other sciences thrived, whereas scientists were put to deat in the most hedious way across in the western world.

What pushed the West ahead was in my opinino the discover of the new world and access to unlimitted resources. If Iberia remained under Moor control, it may have been the muslims who colonized the new world, and the industrial revolution may have first taken place in a muslim country.

Sorry guys I know this is OT but I just was lookin around the thread as I havent really been around in a while and came across this post.

All Ive gotta say is Wow! LOL
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:33
Originally posted by Anton

Originally posted by NikeBG

Not that you yourself would abandon any nationalistic view you might have in mind only because of it...

How could one barbar be a saviour of Europe? Moreover, how could one Bulgarian be such? LOL

Please don't put words in my mouth... The point isn't if he is Bulgarian or barbar(as you like to categorize  the bulgarians of this period Anton) but how the heck this title came from... Ok we all have to ADMIT that his military aid was usefull during the siege but not critical... That may sounds strange to some of you...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 05:28

Neither for this:

Ok we all have to ADMIT that his military aid was usefull during the siege
nor for this
but not critical... That may sounds strange to some of you...

you provided any arguments. Especially for the later you may just guess. So basically this is just usless rending of the air.

but how the heck this title came from...
So, how did it come? I was trying to find the origin of this title but failed. The only thing I found was in wiki:

Bulgarian aid to the city was one of the key factors for the defeat of the Arabs and many poets and musicians glorified Khan Tervel as "The saviour of Europe". Blankinship argues that, along with the Battle of Toulouse and the Battle of Tours, the failure of the siege of Constantinople caused the Umayyad dynasty's weakness to be shown and was a primary factor in the fall of that Caliphate.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 06:26
Bulgarian historian Bozidar Dimitrov found in Vatikan library a book of Francesko Barcolini (16 century) "Tervel, the winner of Arabs with the force of the holy cross".
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 10:45
Anton,our greek friend is just jealous that his eastern roman masters weren't able to take all the glory from the victory(so that he can take part of it for the modern greeks). Leave him alone it's pointless.First he says that we're the evil nationalists(which at least in my case is true i am a nationalist) but then he says "saviour of Europe pfffff"LOL

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 23-Mar-2007 at 11:04
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 11:56
Hm.. That's not my victory, hence not my glory Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>