Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle(s) of Ypres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle(s) of Ypres
    Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:26

I went to Belgium this week, mainly to visit the town of Ypres and the battlefields of WW1 that surround it.

Town and surrounding country-side are a potent reminder of the idiocy and futility of WW1, and indeed of all wars.

Ypres was in 1914 a small and quiet town in the Flemish part of Belgium, that had seen better days in the late Middle Ages as center of the cloth trade. It had however the misfortune to lay in the way of the advancing German Army in WW1, that according to the Schlieffen Plan attempted to outflank the French Army on the right flank and to reach the important harbour towns (Dunkirk, Calais, etc.) on the coast of the English Channel.

The Germans reached the vicinity of Ypres in November 1914, where they met with resistance of the British and French Army that tried to halt its further advance. During the First Battle of Ypres, the town of Ypres was bombarded by the German Army and almost completely destroyed on November 22, but the Kaiser's forces could not make a decisive break-through and the front stabilised, in the shape of an inverted S. Both sides began to dug in, in an intricate system of trenches and other fortifications.

Christmas 1914 in Ypres saw instances of the famous truce, fraternisation between the two sides that allegedly culminated in a famous football match.

In Spring 1915 the Germans went on the attack again, and in the Second Battle of Ypres they for the first time used Chlorine gas. The German Army again couldn't break through, but made slight territorial gains, and the front line was moved a few kilometers to the West.
For the next two years the front around Ypres remained relatively stable, but in July 1917 the Allied Forces, mostly British went for the big push. During the Third Battle of Ypres (Battle of Paschendaele) from July to November 1917 both sides counted approximately 400.000 (!) casualties, a large number of death caused by mustard gas. The Entente troops advanced a few miles eastwards, but eventually got stuck in the mud of the Flanders fields.
The Germans went on the offensive again in April 1918, and in the Fourth Battle of Ypres regained the territory lost the previous year and a bit more.

When the war came to end end in November 1918, only a couple of kilometers separated the two front lines of 1914 and 1918, and approximately three quarter of a Million soldiers had died around Ypres, with many more wounded.

Both sides buried their dead, those they could find, around Ypres and there are a number of Allied and German cemeteries around Ypres. Ypres and its surroundings has become somewhat of a WW1 theme park, with many coach-loads of , mostly British, school children being driven from one cemetery to the next, but in quieter moments Ypres is still quite a striking symbol of the absurdity and brutality of war. Recommended to visit, if you ever get to Belgium.

Were the Battles of Ypres the most pointless ever, or which other spring to mind in competition?
(Thanks, A.J. for the pic etc.)

Edited by Komnenos - 22-Oct-2006 at 08:30
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:41
Wow, what a very sad battle. It sort of reminds me of the Anglo-Scottish Border Wars, because both sides really got nothing out of them. The English would take parts of Southern Scotland and burn a city or two, and then the Scots would do the same thing to the English. The process continued on for three-hundred years.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 09:38

Actually Komnenos, by the time the first battle of Ypres was being fought, the Schlieffen Plan had been been more or less abandoned by the Germans thanks to Moltke's stupidity. This was part of the so called "race to the sea".

Ypres was a battle that should never have been fought.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 09:42

..Hello Komnenos

..Several years ago, I visited the battlefields of the Somme and I can relate to your experience and perceptions felt during your visit to Ypres..

..the sight of the cemeteries had a deep and profound personal impact upon me...in particular, the size of the graveyards and the numbers of casualties the cemeteries contained

the details of the first day of the battle of the Somme still strike home, I remember writing up an account of my visit shortly afterwards and noted that on

..Saturday, 1st July 1916 at 7.28am the Lochnager Mine was detonated, 7.30am was zero hour for the Allied offensive. The day was an occasion for high optimism and hope, however, it also provided the highest casualty rate of any single day in British military history; 57,470 officers and men, 19,240 killed and 2152 missing. These numbers struck like a thunderbolt; the carnage must have been appalling. John Keegan noted that in some places, the Germans were so shaken by their  revulsion from the slaughter inflicted they ceased firing to allow any lightly wounded British to make their way back to their own front line..

However, it was a German war cemetery that has carried a lasting impression to this very day.it was hard to try and capture my feelings but I ended up with these few words

I arrived at Neuville St Vaast Cemetery, a German graveyard and the last I would see on this visit and a chance to take some lunch. Upon arriving, the cemetery seemed deceptive in appearance. I grabbed my lunch provisions then entered through a rather unimposing gate. Once through the gate i was faced with possibly the largest German war cemetery in the world. 44,833 soldiers were buried here; their black metal crosses just reaching forever and ever, a truly astounding but also shocking sight. You may think lunch at a cemetery a little strange, however, this break enabled a considerable pause for reflection, not such a strange idea after all. I sat and ate some food and looked out across this sea of black crosses.  This place was just emotionally awesome, not only were there crosses carrying the names of four soldiers upon it, there were also mass graves marked by weighty pieces of rock carved into Germanic crosses. The place was grim but utterly overpowering, I did not know what to say or think, my limited vocabulary was insufficient to explain my thoughts, and it still is. Finishing my brief meal, I gathered myself and walked on into the depths of the cemetery. In the centre of the cemetery at the head of a paved avenue, there stood a solitary black cross, plain and simple and some twenty feet tall.  Symmetrical lines of graves flanked this solemn monument. For me, this German cemetery illustrated perfectly the sombre aspects of all warfare, the loss of human life being the tragic result of the politics of mankind..

..it would be wrong of me to make comparisons between the battles that took place during WWIeach have their own particular story and level of casualty rates and each have a notable place in the history of WWI.I have not seen the field of Ypres so I cannot comment on your view that in places they resemble a theme parksad if that is indeed true.I found the Somme utterly respectable in its monuments and remembrance of what happened therehowever, I will say that I am a total advocate of British school children visiting the area.it is unfortunate that is some respects this could be seen by some as tourism and all the negative aspects this brings but as long as it is managed effectively, I believe the personal and social educational value is immeasurable

..I think Komnenos would perhaps agree with me and say that if anyone ever gets the chance, a visit to the battle sites of WWI would indeed be a worthy enterprise

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 09:58
I did visit the Somme with my Great Grand Father who fought there. It was incredible.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 10:12
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

..it would be wrong of me to make comparisons between the battles that took place during WWIeach have their own particular story and level of casualty rates and each have a notable place in the history of WWI.I have not seen the field of Ypres so I cannot comment on your view that in places they resemble a theme parksad if that is indeed true.I found the Somme utterly respectable in its monuments and remembrance of what happened therehowever, I will say that I am a total advocate of British school children visiting the area.it is unfortunate that is some respects this could be seen by some as tourism and all the negative aspects this brings but as long as it is managed effectively, I believe the personal and social educational value is immeasurable

..I think Komnenos would perhaps agree with me and say that if anyone ever gets the chance, a visit to the battle sites of WWI would indeed be a worthy enterprise

Sorry, I might have given the wrong impression. There are some aspects of the Ypres fields that worry me slightly, like local farmers cashing in with tacky shops and dodgy museums, but on the whole, it's a worth while experience, and I'm in favour as well of as many people and school children visiting the trenches and cemeteries, if it is, as you said, accompanied properly and adequately.
It certainly impressed the kids we took down there, well, most of them.

Edited by Komnenos - 22-Oct-2006 at 10:12
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 10:28
Originally posted by Sparten

I did visit the Somme with my Great Grand Father who fought there. It was incredible.

..must have been some experience Sparten....how fortunate you are for being able to have that chance to visit with veteran...that is something i would like to do....i have had contact with some WWI veterans here in England but i would dearly love to make a visit to the battlefields of WWI accompanied by some of the soldiers who were actually there......

..Apologies from me Kommenos, no misunderstandng at all, just supporting your comment that if indeed, such 'touristy' activities are taking place, it is a shame and quite disrespectful....unvoidable perhaps, but still disrespectful......being fortunate to live only a short distance and ferry ride away from Belguim, and prompted by this thread, i might take a visit to Ypres and have a look round myself...

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 04:29
WWi is no short on such awfull sites. For French people, Verdun and the Chemin des Dames are still sinister names. I guess Galipoli for Aussies, Mesopotamia for Indian or Tannenberg for Russian doesn't sound better.

With maybe the exception of the Iran-Iraq war I cannot see any other conflict so permanently stupid and ridiculous. There is not the slightest shade of intelligence there and one can only wonder why did they obey orders like "you see the machine gun there? Go and get it."
I am a free donkey!
Chodas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Chodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 10:32
K., next time you should try and visit Diksmuide with its famous "Death Trench"
http://www.klm-mra.be/frans/collecties/dodengang/11.jpg
http://www.klm-mra.be/frans/collecties/dodengang/luchtfoto.jpg

The small bunker on the leftbank at the top where the river was thinest was the only place germans managed to get a foothold on the left bank. For  almost 50months Belgians and Germans died there, even in brutal hand to hand combat due to the proximity of the lines.

This still one of the most chilling aerial view op Ypre after the war

Edited by Chodas - 25-Oct-2006 at 05:52
Thunder rolled. ... It rolled a six.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 22:09
I love you, great new Titan!
Am I not you?
Napoleon and Caesar
Out of you grew.

Out of unthinkable torture,
Eyes kissed by death,
Won back to the world again,
Lost and  won in a breath,

Cruel men are made immortal,
Out of your pain born.
They have stolen the sun's power
With their feet on your shoulder's worn.

Let them shrink from your girth,
That has outgrown the pallid days,
When you slept like Circe's swine,
Or a word in the brain's ways.

"Soldier: Twentieth Century",
                                  Isaac Rosenberg

Then the haze lifted. Bombing on the right
Down the old sap: machine guns on the left;
And stumbling figures looming out in front.
'O Christ, they're coming at us!' Bullets spat,
And he remembered his rifle...rapid fire...
And started blazing wildly...then a bang
Crumpled and spun him sideways; knocked him out
To grunt and wriggle: none heeded him; he choked
And fought the flapping veils of smothering gloom,
Lost in a blurred confusion of yells and groans...
Down, and down, and down he sank and drowned,
Bleeding to death. The counter-attack had failed.

Excerpt from Siegfried Sassoon's "Counter-Attack"

Not comin' back tonight, matey,
And reliefs are coming through.
We're all goin' out all right, matey,
Only we're leaving you.
Gawd! it's a bloody sin, matey,
Now that we've finished the fight.
We go when reliefs come in, matey,
But you're stayin' 'ere tonight.

Over the the top is cold, matey-
You lie on the field alone.
Didn't I love you of old, matey,
Dearer than the blood of my own?
You were my dearest chum, matey-
(Gawd! but your face is white)
But now, though reliefs 'ave come, matey,
I'm goin' alone tonight.

I'd sooner the bullet was mine,matey--
Goin' out on my own.
Leavin' you 'ere in the line, matey,
All by yourself, alone,
Chum o' mine and you're dead, matey,
And this is the way we part,
The bullet went through your head, matey,
But Gawd! it went through my heart.

"Matey"
                                           Patrick MacGill

I knew a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the laark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain
No one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

"Suicide in the Trenches"
                                                    Siegfried Sassoon

Edited by konstantinius - 27-Oct-2006 at 06:21
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
 Post Reply Post Reply