Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

South America and the Holocaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South America and the Holocaust
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 12:32
    During the holocost many europeans were fleeing for their lives, looking for places to go. Many spread out to other places in Europe. Others travelled to israel, and many went to the United States. But many went to South America.

I have a few questions about the last sentence.

1. Why would the refugee's take refuge in South America?

2. Which countries in South America did they mostly take residence in?

3. What were the ethnic groups that settled in South America

4. Were all the people who setteled in South America civilians?
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 13:37
Interestingly, a while ago Mila started a thread that deals the issue of why Argentina has become a safety haven for quite a few ex-Nazist members. She didn't get a lot of responses to it.

I know it is a little off-topic, but I think it's also an interesting issue.

Edited by flyingzone - 21-Oct-2006 at 14:39
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 18:43

Most countries of South America received Jewish refuge before, meanwhile and after the WWII. They also received millions of non-Jewish refugees from Italy, Germany and the Slav countries which add to the wave that escaped from the Spanish Civil war. Unfortunately, the same networks that helped bring Jews to South America were used by Nazi criminals to escape justice (look for Odessa)

Jews were very welcome in Latin America before two reasons. Half the European Jews were Sepharidites, or Spanish Jews, that share many cultural patterns with the Spanish and Hispanic peoples, because theirs ancestors were the Jews expelled from Spain because intollerancy. Now, the rest of the European Jews (Ashkenazi) were of Germanic or Slavic origin, and were people who has lots of education and business skills, people Latin America needed very much.

People don't usually knows, but the fascist dictator of Spain gave Spanish citizenship to all Sephardic Jews. When someone ask Franco how to distinguish a Sephardic of other Jews Franco say: Don't ask them. They are all Sephardic. In short Franco convert Spain in a refuge for all the Jews.
Portugueses were also concerned about the Jewish holocaust. One diplomat in particular Aristides de Sousa Mendes, contradicted the rules of his country and managed to smuggle thousand of Jews to Portugal. Later, Portugal opened the gates and more than 100.000 people escaped to that country. Italians and the Catholic church also managed to smuggle large numbers of Jews, even with the Nazi ocupation.

Many of those refugees flee to Latin America where they found a new home. Although not all Latin American countries welcomed Jews, many did, and the Jewish populations are numerous in the New World.

Many Hispanic figures known worldwide have Jewish ancestry, including some Nobel Prize winners and the most Hispanic figure of all, Mario Kreutzberger, the son of Azkenazi Jews that established in Chile. Mario Kreutzberger have a tv show called "Sabado Gigante" who is seen all over the Americas. He is a person that has done very much for his country and all people love him, particularly for founding a society to help handicaped children, called Teleton.

In Latin America, tolerancy between races and ethnic groups is a sort of natural tradition. Therefore, only in there you can find Palestineans marrying Jews without problems at all. This is Nicolas Massu, one of the best Chilean tennis players. He is the son of a Palestinean business man, an  a Jewish TV woman. He won two Olympic medals of tennis for Chile in the last Olympic games.

Pinguin
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 23:51
Ponce I would mention something about the exsistance of the holocost but it might get taken out of context.

Meanwhile, the holocaust was a horrible thing to have happened but the worse crime was that of the major Nazi war criminals captured in exile in South America, the only one to have lived a more or less normal life was also one of the most wretched, Josef Mengele.

On a slightly less related note has anyone ever seen Boys from Brazil?
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:11
Paraguay was the place many big Nazis headed for. Mengele even set up home there for a while.

Seems its tradition of being the hidy hole of choice for war criminals continues to this day.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 11:04

Well, I bet one of the worst known things about South America is nazism and why it become a refuge for so many Nazi war criminals.

To start with, one has to realize South America has always beeing in close contract with Europe, more than with North America or the rest of the world. So the liberal ideas of Europe spread in South America with the same speed Nazi and Communist ideas did.

Latin America followed the same path of Europe in the ideological battlefield previous to WWII. The Nazi party, in particular, become very strong in many South American countries. Not only existed street violence and uniforms in the streets but also certain tragical events like a massacre in here or there once in a while.

Not only that, there were many people in South America that were on the side of Nazi Germany. One should not forget there are tens of millions of German settlers living all over South America, particularly in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay, that in its time were on the side of the Nazis because Germany was theirs motherland. Besides, many locals that were not Germans, also embraced the racist ideology of the superior "surdics". The idea of the superior mixed-people that was encouraged by Nazis. Actually, most South American Nazis are mixed people.

Now, regimes like the one of Peron, where quite sympathetic of the Nazis, and they helped Nazis to escape.

Once in the Americas, the Nazi criminals changed theirs identities and personalities. Most of them become common people that followed peaceful lives like common business people, and that never hurt anyone and that were even beloved by theirs neighbourghs.  So, when they were caught there was quite a shock between locals.

The history is more complex than that but this is to give you some idea of why this thing happens.

Pinguin

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 10:30
he Nazi party, in particular, become very strong in many South American countries. Not only existed street violence and uniforms in the streets but also certain tragical events like a massacre in here or there once in a while

Interesting i never knew that. Got a legit link ??
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 10:39
The Nazi party, in particular, become very strong in many South American countries.

Could you give some examples?
Like Europe, there were definately many authoritarian populists in Latin America in the 1930's (Pern, Vargas, Aras). Most of them were indeed sympathetic towards Germany and Italy, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them nazis. That was simply not their ideology. Vargas for example, suppressed the integralists, which were the 'real' fascists.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 17:16
Originally posted by JanusRook

On a slightly less related note has anyone ever seen Boys from Brazil?

Wasn't that the movie about a scientist cloning Hitler? If so, I think I saw it a few years ago. I think towards the end the cloned Hitler has his dogs attack th scientist.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 17:23
Do you think the immigrations is the main reasons why the latin american countries have a significant "white" population in the first place? Because I cannot recollect if there was a good number of whites residing in Latin America before World War II.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 21:18
Originally posted by think

he Nazi party, in particular, become very strong in many South American countries. Not only existed street violence and uniforms in the streets but also certain tragical events like a massacre in here or there once in a while

Interesting i never knew that. Got a legit link ??

Links? I have lot of info about Nazis in Southern South America simply because I have know them all my life. Besides, the Pinochet regime of Chile has a flavor quite similar to the Nazis to be just a coincidence.

First, look at some contemporary Nazis in Chile and Argentina

This happened all the years in Chile at the memorial of a massacre of Nazis in 1938

This is the funeral of a Nazi in Chile  that was killed by a group of Punks. That happened a couple of months ago.

This is a book about the Nazis in Chile. Its thick.

Nazis Argentinos

That's just a sample. If you want more info, I tell you more.

Regards,

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 21:34
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Do you think the immigrations is the main reasons why the latin american countries have a significant "white" population in the first place? Because I cannot recollect if there was a good number of whites residing in Latin America before World War II.

Yes. Immigration started in 1492 and it was wave after wave of Europeans comming.

But it's not right there were not a significan number of Europeans in Latin American before WWII. What is correct to say, I believe, is that in many regions Europeans increased quite a lot its numbers between 1850 and 1950. For instance, Brazil passed from being a country populated mainly by Africans around 1880 to have a white majority in that period, and Argentina passed from being a country of mestizos to have a large European population today.

Pinguin

Post Reply Post Reply