Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We burnt villages, killed women, men and children

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We burnt villages, killed women, men and children
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 22:00
Originally posted by Leonidas

what the point of this thread?

and why are western countries, so critised for interveneing in others affairs, now critised for not?

My sentiments exactly. It is a mess in Africa's backyard for which the Africans are SOLELY responsible. Asking us in the West to send our sons and daughters to die because societies in other countries wish to continue adhering to primitive and barbaric policies of domestic oppression is totally unreasonable. The West has developed a liberal democratic tradition which these states may choose to adopt if they so wish, that is generous enough.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 22:22
Originally posted by Maharbbal

And The Turkish, Egyptian, Saudian, Pakistani armies doing? Don't they have enough troops?

Although the west gets the glory, the bulk of peace keeping troops are in fact supplied by countries such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Turkey, Brazil and Russia.
Or are they afraid to say the truth: they don't care about Darfour because the people comitting the genocide are Arab and Muslim while the victims are nothing but sparable negroes!

How on earth does a civil war between black muslim Darfurians and black muslim Sudanese get turned into another Arab & muslim bashing topic (not saying you did this, more the media). Hell there is a civil war in the south too, apparently the white christian media doesn't care about the black christian dinka.
Originally posted by flyingzone

Omar, can you provide any real statistics on Swedish arms sales to Sri Lanka?

No I can't, but Sweden does have a large arms industry, and if anything peace must be against their interests not in it.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 22:40
sri lanka isnt a buyer of swedish arms as far as i know, norwegians are mainly in electronics, agian i dont think any of their stuff is suitable for sri lanka.

the main nations that sell arms is Isreal, britain and pakistan while china is becoming the main suplier because it doesnt have regulations on selling to countries with armed conflict, unlike many in europe.

so we should safley end baseless assumptuions on the intentions of Scandinavians in sri lanka

Edited by Leonidas - 21-Oct-2006 at 22:48
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 00:16
I hope you realise that by suggesting that the only scandinavian interest in sri lanka is arms, I was infact backing up flyingzones point when he said that they weren't acting in their own interest.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 00:39

Than the last time France took action (too late but that's not the question) to end an ongoing genocide -in Rwanda that is- it has been cooly appriciated (see your own posts). Not mentionning the US action in Somalia.

LOL, France did not intervene to end the genocide, it helped its perpetrators.

France was an ally of the Hutu regime, which they armed and millitarily aided, right before the genocide againt at least 800,000 Tutsis took place. France continued to send arms to the Hutu-led army for up to a month after the beginning of the massacres.

France vehemently denies any inveolvement in the Genocide and has done everything in its power to block inquiries by the Rwandan government and to thwart its attempts to set up an independent commission charged with assembling the evidence of France's involvement in the genocide.

[1]http://www.guardian.co.uk/rwanda/story/0,,1673963,00.html
[2]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3515512.stm
[3]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4414619.stm

Edited by bg_turk - 22-Oct-2006 at 00:41
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 00:57

Anyway I'm sick and tired of this nonsense. Why would you care about this absurd law? There a law and then what? Get over it who cares? Don't you have a collapsing economy to take care of?

Under ordinary circumstances I should not care, but given the situation it is hard not to. 

If France passes this proposal into law, do you realize that an arrest warrant, valid all around Europe, can be issued for anybody who does not agree with your parliaments biased and slanted interpretation of Turkish History?

With millions of Turks around Europe, and my country about to enter the EU in 2007, I certianly care about what your parliament decides, as the laws that your parliamentarians make, in their new role as self-styled and self-appinted arbiters of Turko-Armenian history,  have direct implications on my fundamental freedom to express my opinion.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 03:25
Can you express you opinion in your own "republic" country?
You would better care about that and then care about the express of freedom in the Republic of France.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 03:32
And don't be ignorants. There is NO way a country to send troops in a different country without having interests. Onw way or another.
And as for France has prooven many times that it is super power and it acts like one. I mean that they have funds and strong army and they using that for their OWN interests but in that way they help other countries maintain peace.
And it is about time a different country other that UK become the head of europe. I think France act like that.

And as far as the genocides i don't remember any muslim country to send troops to Rwanda. Where are the mighty Turks and Arabs?
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 06:55
Originally posted by bg_turk

While france is busy recognizing as Genocide events that took place more than 90 years ago,

were you there?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 14:40
The all thread sounds quite wrong any way as it is quite obvious our Turkish friends don't give a dame about Darfour.

That is excatly what I want from western countries, They should not give any dame about other countries.

It is absurd, a muslim country never attacked other countries, with saying, we are helping these people.

It is european doing to attack other countries, with the name of helping these countries.

So we can easly ask a lot question, why do western countries only helping afghanistan, iraq but not darfur.

I am not asking this question to china, or india. Just guess reason.

And don't be ignorants. There is NO way a country to send troops in a different country without having interests. Onw way or another.

Indeed, I am not demonizing western countries, but you are making western countries as angel.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 14:49
And as far as the genocides i don't remember any muslim country to send troops to Rwanda. Where are the mighty Turks and Arabs?

we are busy with harassing greeks, no idea about arabs. Most probably they are busy with killing each other. So our hands are full.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 15:34
First of all give me a break with the French in Ruwanda as obviously you just don't know anything about it. Over 90% of the Hutus were killed not by the centralized agencies nor the army, but by their neighbour and fellow villagers. And that what's make the all genocide unike. So the problem wasn't to sell weapons but that several hundred thousands people were killed by mere machettes.

Second, obviously international law is not your stuff. You cannot ask for the extradition of a man from a country if the country doesn't consider the action as criminal. So (if the law is voted) you still be able to say that Armeninia was a mere accident provided that it is not publically in France.

Third, I know Paki and India and Bengal are the main providers of men for blue helmet but their record is bad, very bad. They just send their troops not to be obliged to pay them and they are as inefficent as one can imagine (see Indian troops in Somalia).

Then again, considering North Sudanese, they may look black to us, but don't try to sya it to them, they regard themselves as arabs.

I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by Mortaza

we are busy with harassing greeks, no idea about arabs. Most probably they are busy with killing each other. So our hands are full.

Would be a good joke if it wasn't that sad.
I am a free donkey!
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 15:45
It was a joke, we have more than enough soldier, but I dont see any reason to sent them other countries.

Specialy countries  that our soldiers dont wanted.(Lebnan, afghanistan, iraq,ext.)

As I said before, I am not critisizing western countries because of not helping others, but because helping others only when they benefitted.(This help may be dangerous to people who dont need or wanted this help.)

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 15:53

Over 90% of the Hutus were killed not by the centralized agencies nor the army, but by their neighbour and fellow villagers.

I suppose you mean 90% of the Tutsis. THe genocide was perpetrated by the Hutus against the Tutsis.

The French armed forces participated in the fighting against the Tutsi forces, and share direct responsibility for leaving hundreds of thousands of Tutsis without protection and exposing them to massacre by the Hutus.

The irony is that the French forces, which insitgated and faciliated this genocide and in some cases, as reported by eyewitnesses, even participated in it, today pretend to have been a peacekeeping force.

And before judging my knowledge on the issue, at least try to learn what the difference between Hutus and Tutsis is.

Edited by bg_turk - 22-Oct-2006 at 16:02
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 16:44
Ho God! Poor BG, you're defently clueless about the situation and won't ever learn anything because you refuse to hear. (NB I did confuse the two ethnicities)

1) You avoid the point that thousands of civilians were killed by civilians. There was no Tusti forces to fight against except the Burundi army that was massacring Hutu on the other side of the border.

2) You give no explaination for WHY the French militaries would have helped to kill these poor people.

3) You completly disregard the fact that French army ultimatly did end the massacres even though too late. And also that Operation Turquoise was ultimately backed by the UN.

4) You're forgetting that there is indeed a French responsability in the all genocide but it is at the govermental level and because they failed to understand that another government was about to kill half of its population. So with your false accusation you are actually not only violating the truth but weakening your own argument.

So recognize for once your clueless (which you failed to acknowledge for the all Darfur thing) and adopt a decent realistic position as Mortaza who at least is able to ask REAL questions that tackle REAL problems, not paranoid fantasies.

I'd like to add a few comment on your behaviour unfortunately I'd be instantly banned from AE for doing so. Yet what is certain is that you do not participate to the creation of an interesting and healthy debate on critically important questions.
I am a free donkey!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 17:26

1) You avoid the point that thousands of civilians were killed by civilians. There was no Tusti forces to fight against except the Burundi army that was massacring Hutu on the other side of the border.

Care to provide any sources for those massacres?

2) You give no explanation for WHY the French militaries would have helped to kill these poor people.

Why the French supported the killers and aided them is very simple, because they were close allies of France and were a tool for French interests in the region. Rwanda had a special status for France, beca
use it was not a former French colony, but an ally that had been won away from Belgium, its old colonial master. Backing the pro-French Rwandan regime that perpetrated the Genocide, offered France the chance not just to outdo Belgium but also to humiliate the Anglo-Saxon forces thought to be behind the largely English-speaking Tutsi forces.

The BBC's Mark Doyle says that France was the closest ally of the Hutu regime in 1994. It is well known that French military advisers worked with the Hutu government army right up to the beginning of the genocide.

France denies involvement in the mass killings.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3602859.stm

3) You completly disregard the fact that French army ultimatly did end the massacres even though too late. And also that Operation Turquoise was ultimately backed by the UN.

Are you aware of how many Tutsis were killed in the zones that were under the control of this so-called Operation Turquoise? Operation Turquoise is charged by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda with complicity of genocide and complicity of crimes against humanity.

4) You're forgetting that there is indeed a French responsability in the all genocide but it is at the govermental level and because they failed to understand that another government was about to kill half of its population.

It did not fail to understand, it refused to understand, and even tried to thwart the attempts of those who tried to make the world aware of a potential genocide:

From the beginning of the war in 1990, French authorities understood the risk of genocide. Colonel Rwagafilita, Habyarimanas close associate, told the general who directed French military cooperation in Rwanda that the Tutsi are very few in number, we will liquidate them.82

Thus Ambassador Martres dismissed reports of massacres as just rumors83 and a supporter within the French Foreign Ministry wrote soon after the International Commission published its report that the Habyarimana regime was rather respectful of human rights and on the whole concerned about good administration. In a shocking echo of extremist Hutu propaganda, this author explained that the RPF, and not Habyarimana, should be blamed for the massacres of the Tutsi, because their agents (provocateurs) had infiltrated and caused the Bugesera massacre as well as the slaughter of the Bagogwe in 1991.84 As part of an effort to shore up Habyarimana and discredit further the RPF, the French secret service (Direction Gйnйrale des Services Extйrieurs, DSGE) planted news stories about supposed Ugandan support for the guerrilla movement. On February 21, 1993, the reputable Le Monde published an account of a RPF massacre of hundreds of civilians that had in fact never taken place.

Source: http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/rwanda/Geno1-3-11.htm

Edited by bg_turk - 22-Oct-2006 at 17:29
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 19:38

Care to provide any sources for those massacres?

Use Google

Why the French supported the killers and aided them is very simple, because they were close allies of France and were a tool for French interests in the region. Rwanda had a special status for France, because it was not a former French colony, but an ally that had been won away from Belgium, its old colonial master. Backing the pro-French Rwandan regime that perpetrated the Genocide, offered France the chance not just to outdo Belgium but also to humiliate the Anglo-Saxon forces thought to be behind the largely English-speaking Tutsi forces.

So killing them was France's interest because France's interest was to kill them. It is called a circulatory argument my friend and it won't lead us any where.

The BBC's Mark Doyle says that France was the closest ally of the Hutu regime in 1994. It is well known that French military advisers worked with the Hutu government army right up to the beginning of the genocide.

France denies involvement in the mass killings.

Obviously you didn't read my previous post where I say the government didn't foresee the event. When it comes to the bbc article, some have an opinion and may have some untold interest in doing so. These are quite obvious for the Rwanda president and the anti-imerialist african.

Are you aware of how many Tutsis were killed in the zones that were under the control of this so-called Operation Turquoise? Operation Turquoise is charged by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda with complicity of genocide and complicity of crimes against humanity.

???? Why so-called?
I want to see the warrantTongue

It did not fail to understand, it refused to understand, and even tried to thwart the attempts of those who tried to make the world aware of a potential genocide:

From the beginning of the war in 1990, French authorities understood the risk of genocide. Colonel Rwagafilita, Habyarimanas close associate, told the general who directed French military cooperation in Rwanda that the Tutsi are very few in number, we will liquidate them.82

Thus Ambassador Martres dismissed reports of massacres as just rumors83 and a supporter within the French Foreign Ministry wrote soon after the International Commission published its report that the Habyarimana regime was rather respectful of human rights and on the whole concerned about good administration. In a shocking echo of extremist Hutu propaganda, this author explained that the RPF, and not Habyarimana, should be blamed for the massacres of the Tutsi, because their agents (provocateurs) had infiltrated and caused the Bugesera massacre as well as the slaughter of the Bagogwe in 1991.84 As part of an effort to shore up Habyarimana and discredit further the RPF, the French secret service (Direction Gйnйrale des Services Extйrieurs, DSGE) planted news stories about supposed Ugandan support for the guerrilla movement. On February 21, 1993, the reputable Le Monde published an account of a RPF massacre of hundreds of civilians that had in fact never taken place.

Source: http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/rwanda/Geno1-3-11.htm

Interestingly enough you totally fail to provide a single line about involvement of French soldiers during the genocide.
I am a free donkey!
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 19:51

Interestingly enough you totally fail to provide a single line about involvement of French soldiers during the genocide.

Could have followed your example and said use goolge but let me not fall to your level :-)

The accusations were contained in a lawsuit filed by six survivors who said that they had witnessed atrocities committed with the complicity of the French Army.
One is Aura Mukakalisa, who was raped by Hutu militia in a refugee camp set up and controlled by the French Army. The Hutu militiamen entered the camp and designated the Tutsis, who were forced to leave the camp by French soldiers, Miss Mukakalisa, who was 27 at the time, said. I saw the militia kill the Tutsis who had left the camp. I saw French soldiers themselves kill Tutsis using knives. Her brother, Felicien, was one of the victims at the Murambi camp. His body has never been found.

The second plaintiff, Innocent Gisanura, aged 14 at the time, was among thousands of Tutsis who fled to escape the violence. "We were attacked and chased by militiamen and I affirm that the French soldiers watched what was happening in their vehicles without doing anything," he told Ms Raymaud.

French soldiers were complicit in this genocide, indifferent at most, but peacekeepers they certainly were not.

Source:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1959137,00.html

Edited by bg_turk - 22-Oct-2006 at 20:01
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 20:05
Rwanda holds France a guilty party in the Rwandan Genocide, I wonder when it will adress this aswell, or will it be made illegal to make a comment on it Confused or will they pass a new law teaching little Rwandan kids about the glories of the French "Peace-keeping"Dead force in Rwanda.

Or how about the Vichy governments actions in Madagascar...

etc etc

Its what happens when you become labbelled a hypocrite, people point out the ironies.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>