Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All the Greats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All the Greats
    Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 12:08
Pacal the Great
he was king of Palenque
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2004 at 09:36

Sitalkes the Great.  (Odrysian king of Thrace)

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2004 at 21:00

From all the polish rulers we had only one which we named "Great" and it was Casimir the Great. He did recived this title not for his military skills but because he reformed country, economy, law, build many new cities and castles.

Casimir III or the Great (Kazimierz Wielki), (1310-1370), King of Poland , son of Wladyslaw Lokietek (Wladyslaw the Elbow High), 1305-1333 and Jadwiga.

image:Seal_casimir_sml.jpg

Contents < =text/> // [hide]

Biography

Casimir the Great married Anna, or Aldona Ona, the daughter of the duke of Lithuania, Gediminas. (and others too...) Their daughter was Cunigunde, who was married to Louis VI the Roman, the son of Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor. Casimir then married Adelheid of Hessen.

When Casimir, the last Piast king of Poland, died in 1370, Louis I of Hungary succeeded him to become king of Poland and Hungary.

Casimir the Great
Enlarge
Casimir the Great

The Great King

Casimir is the only Polish king who did receive and maintain the title of the great in Polish history (Boleslaw I Chrobry was once also called the great, but not today), and the title is well deserved. When he received the crown, his hold on it was in danger, as even his neighbours did not recognise his title and instead called him "king of Krakw". The economy was ruined, and country was depopulated and tired with wars. When he left the country, it has doubled in size (mostly through joining lands in today's Ukraine, then duchy of Halicz), grew prosperous, wealthy and had great prospects to the future. Although he is depicted as a peaceful king in children books, he in fact waged many victorious wars and was preparing other ones just before he died.

He built many new castles, reformed Polish army and Polish civil and criminal law. At the Sejm in Wislica, March 11, 1347, he introduced salutary legal reforms in the jurisprudence of his country. He sanctioned a code of laws for Great and Little Poland, which gained for him the title of "the Polish Justinian"; and he also limited the interest rate charged by Jewish money-lenders to Christians to 8⅓ per cent per annum. This measure was widely considered a wise act tending to the economic welfare of the country as a whole. He founded the University of Krakw, although his death stalled the development of the university (and that's why today it is called Jagiellonian instead of Casimirian).

He organised a meeting of kings in Krakw in 1364 which showed the wealth of Polish kingdom.

Concession to szlachta

In order to enlist the support of nobleman (szlachta), especially the military help of pospolite ruszenie, Casimir was forced to give up important priviliges to their caste, which made them finally clearly dominant over townsfolk (burgherss or mieszczanstwo).

In 1355 in Buda Casimir designates Louis of Anjou (Louis I of Hungary) as his successor. In exchange, szlachta's tax burden has been reduced and they would be no longer required to pay for military expeditions expences outside Poland. Those important concessions would eventually lead to the rise of unique noble's democracy in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

A  in the time of King Kazimierz Wielki, 14th century Poland.
Enlarge
A wiec in the time of King Kazimierz Wielki, 14th century Poland.

Relationship with Polish Jews

He was favorably disposed toward Jews. On Oct. 9, 1334, he confirmed the privileges granted to Jewish Poles in 1264 by Boleslaw the Pious. Under penalty of death he prohibited the kidnapping of Jewish children for the purpose of forcible Christian baptism. He inflicted heavy punishment for the desecration of Jewish cemeteries.

Although Jews were present in Poland even earlier, Casimir allowed them to settle in Poland in great numbers and protected them as king's people.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 00:37
Ivan the terrible?
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 12:49
Originally posted by Mosquito

From all the polish rulers we had only one which we named "Great"

what about his sucessor Louis?

Louis I (the Great), Ludwik Wgierski (1326 - 1382) became king of Hungary in 1342. He was the son of Charles I, king of Hungary, and was related to both the Angevin and Capetian royal families. Became a king of Poland in 1370.

Louis' mother was Elizabeth, the daughter of Ladislaus the Short, the sister of Casimir III the Great, king of Poland.

When the Polish Piast rulers died out in 1370, Louis became king of Poland.

Louis had three daughters:

Names in other languages: Hungarian: I (Nagy) Lajos, Polish: Ludwik Wgierski, Slovak: udovt I (Vek)

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 16:49
Originally posted by Temujin

what about his sucessor Louis?

maybe he is considered as Great in Hungary or slovakia but not in Poland. For most of time he wasnt even in Poland and nobles liked it because they had more power when king was away. Finally he wanted his daughter Jadwiga to become queen of Poland and he payed nobles for that lowering taxes and strenghtening their position in the society.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 18:12

Augustus the Strong of Poland may not be a Great but is always worthy of respect. Even if he only had 364 children and not 365.

TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 18:57
wow, lots of greats
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 19:19

Originally posted by Herodotus II

Richard the Lionhearted?

Definately not.  He was probably the worst king England has ever had.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 21:54

lionhearted

Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 03:40

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Turkmenbashi the Great 

haha

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 09:17
Originally posted by gcle2003

Augustus the Strong of Poland may not be a Great but is always worthy of respect. Even if he only had 364 children and not 365.

Aye, this German was strong but only phisically.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 10:42

364 childern!!!

waw

from how many women?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 14:03
Originally posted by Mosquito

maybe he is considered as Great in Hungary or slovakia but not in Poland. For most of time he wasnt even in Poland and nobles liked it because they had more power when king was away. Finally he wanted his daughter Jadwiga to become queen of Poland and he payed nobles for that lowering taxes and strenghtening their position in the society.

OK, but he's still called the great and he was king of Poland, so there were two kings of Poland called the great, and even in sucession, no other country has that.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 20:55

Originally posted by Temujin

OK, but he's still called the great and he was king of Poland, so there were two kings of Poland called the great, and even in sucession, no other country has that.

Still cant agree with you. Luis was in the same time the king of Poland and Hungary. The fact that he is in the hugnarian history called "Great" doesnt mean that he was great king of Poland, because he wasnt, and there is no single polish historian who call him "Great". How can he be the "great" king of Poland if he has done nothing for Poland. He had 2 kingdoms, so was great king of Hungary and mediocre king of Poland.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 15:23
but as a person he was called the great and it's insignificant if he was called the great by another country he was ruler of, in fact the reason for him being called great was the posession of Poland in addition to Hungary. Persians don't call Alexander III of Makedon the great either, but for history it doesn't change anything.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 18:43
Muhammad Ali Pasha The Great
The viceroy of Egypt after Napoleon had devastated it. He basically helped reorganize everything and made massive reforms.
Kazec View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kazec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 22:34

We Chinese did not regard monarchs as 'the Great'. (don't ask me why)

the equivalent term of 'the Great', da-di, is a newly invented term

the only true da-di was Wu Da-di, or Sun Quan of Wu in Three States (I don't use Three Kingdoms, coz all the monarchs proclaimed emperor)  period, but that was a posthumous name. (an odd posthumous name too)

but some great emperors are described as 'da-di' commonly. (tv drama, literature etc.)  like

Han Wu-di

Tang Tai-zong

Ming Cheng-zu (Yongle)

Qing Sheng-zu (Kangxi)

Qing Gao-zong (Qianlong)

Edited by Kazec
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 22:36
Originally posted by Kazec

We Chinese did not regard monarchs as 'the Great'. (don't ask me why)

the equivalent term of 'the Great', da-di, is a newly invented term

the only true da-di was Wu Da-di, or Sun Quan of Wu in Three States (I don't use Three Kingdoms, coz all the monarchs proclaimed emperor)  period, but that was a posthumous name. (an odd posthumous name too)

but some great emperors are described as 'da-di' commonly. (tv drama, literature etc.)  like

Han Wu-di

Tang Tai-zong

Ming Cheng-zu (Yongle)

Qing Sheng-zu (Kangxi)

Qing Gao-zong (Qianlong)

Hmm, I wonder if the name Taizu counts...
Kazec View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kazec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2005 at 22:40

Which Tai-zu??

Many Tai-zus throughout history, you know

If you mean Ming Tai-zu, truely I never heard people say Hong-wu Da-di so I don't raise it.

The same as Qin Shi-huang-di

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>