Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1000 AD monks, priests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Svantoretro View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000 AD monks, priests
    Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 18:48
Does anyone have any idea how a Christian monk, priest, and bishop might have been dressed in 1000 AD? Has anyone come across an image on the 'net depicting this?

Edited by Svantoretro - 18-Oct-2006 at 18:49
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 03:15
Refer to this image from the Bayeux Tapestry:

Then there is the I.33 manuscript, dated late 13th century but I'm sure it couldn't have differed too much: http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/i33/01.jpg

Kind regards,
Eon
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 03:30
In India they were dressed in Lungis & kurtas.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 03:45
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

In India they were dressed in Lungis & kurtas.

Were these Christian monks that were dressed in those things?
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 04:05
Yes. 
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 06:25
In the Byzantine Empire it varied considerably. You had ascetic monks who would often lead lives of extreme austerity or hermitage, where they dressed only in rags or coarse and uncomfortable clothing. Typically this included a habit of thick and uncomfortable wool.

Your typical parish priest dressed very much as many do today, wearing the long black mantle, although brown or grey were not unusual colours either.

The higher clergy tended to dress in more impressive clothing, though Liutprand of Cremona remarks of one religious procession in which the entire populace of Constantinople dressed in rags. He considered this repellant, though really it reflects the Byzantine tradition of humbling oneself before the Creator. Only the Emperor, naturally enough, was dressed in finery.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 19:35
I continue to be impressed by the incredible wealth of knowledge as displayed by participants in this forum.
I am also most grateful for your willingness to share this knowledge.
I salute you.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 19:46
Eondt,
In the Bayeaux Tapestry, the first link you so graciously provided, the person standing to the right of the throne appears to be either a priest, monk, or maybe a bishop. In your opinion, what is this person's position in the Church?    
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 02:42
The link is to the scene where Harold is crowned the King of England, 6 January 1066. The person standing to the right of the throne is Archbishop Stigand.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 03:02
For the Byzantine monks see this book:
Byzantine Fashions Coloring Book. Is for Children but I think is well documented.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 05:24
Originally posted by Eondt

The link is to the scene where Harold is crowned the King of England, 6 January 1066. The person standing to the right of the throne is Archbishop Stigand.

Of course the nice thing about the tapestry is that it neatly names all the people and actions depicted...Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 07:35
Indeed. Offcourse my Latin is extremely poor at best but luckily some other folk went through the trouble of translating for me. If you want to read the whole story scene-by-scene, I recommend http://www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/

Edited by Eondt - 20-Oct-2006 at 07:39
 Post Reply Post Reply