Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEvolution or Creationism?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evolution or Creationism?
    Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 11:13
No, I think Religion is trying to find something, and use a means of a supernatural being to give a reason they exist. Science is trying to explain why everything happened using the rules in the universe, not looking outside of it. They do this through predictions and observations.

If science finds out that the big bang happened and that evolution is true, that doesn't bring about a meaning for life, it doesn't fill a spiritual niche. All it does is explains what happens, tells the truth. Religions sole purpose is to give meaning to why we exist, if it wasn't and everyone wasn't searching for a meaning, then there'd be no religion because there'd be no reason for people to spread it and except it. Religion isn't looking for a truth, if they were, they wouldn't be attacking science saying it interferes with their belief.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 21:58

...they wouldn't be attacking science saying it interferes with their belief.

hence the evolution/creation thing.

As what i've said, religion said god made the earth rather than the big bang. Is because early people don't have the capacity, tools, and knowledge to get to the point of big bang. How did we theorized Big Bang? We used modern tools, modern mathematics, and modern knowledge of physics(I suppose so)

As you can see early men cannot possibly conclude that a big bang happened, So they choose the next good thing, tell stories.

Religion tells their version of the truth. And science did give us a meaning; we don't have any.

~Pr0n
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 04:18
Originally posted by gcle2003

Yes. Whatever existed in the milliseconds after the big bang, it wasn't anything like our current elements.

Quoted from http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/IUP/Big_Bang_Primer.html

"It is hard to imagine the very beginning of the Universe. Physical laws as we know them did not exist due to the presence of incredibly large amounts of energy, in the form of photons. Some of the photons became quarks, and then the quarks formed neutrons and protons. Eventually huge numbers of Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium nuclei formed. The process of forming all these nuclei is called big bang nucleosynthesis."

This is very basic "big bang" stuff. It takes me aback that anyone dares to comment on it without some elementary study of what the theory proclaims.

While that's not a bad site, it doesn't adequately deal with the question of the 'energy' present in the early period after the bang.

The trouble is explainded in the following quote from http://www.ncsu.edu/felder-public/kenny/papers/inflation.html

"... it would be tempting to extrapolate further backwards and assume the big bang model to be an accurate description of the universe all the way back to the big bang. Such a complete extrapolation of the theory is not possible, however, because of certain limitations of our theories of high energy physics. When we talk about extrapolating backwards in the big bang model we are referring to running the equations of general relativity backwards to earlier times and higher densities. We know, however, that general relativity ceases to be valid when we try to describe a region of spacetime whose density exceeds a certain value known as the Planck density, roughly 1093 g/cm3. If we try to consistently apply quantum mechanics and general relativity at such a density we find that quantum fluctuations of spacetime become important, and we have no theory that describes such a situation."

Inside the Planck limit (which is still a long way from the actual singularity) the whole concept of mass/energy becomes ill-defined.

It is therefore probably incorrect puristically to say photons existed at the moment of the big bang. They too were formed by it.

Why would a high density of energy change the way the universe works? It's like saying you have a 100KG wombat and because that wieght is abnormal you must redefine a kilogram to mean a rubber ducky.

Why?

That seems to me like saying that because there is an infinite number of integers they must all occur multiple times.

I don't see how you could come to that conclusion in fact what I said is that if there is a finite amount in existence then there is only a finite amount of combinations (or integars). Assuming this amount can niether increase nor decrease then there would be infinite time and all combinations would eventually occur multiple times.

Suppose there were only ten combinations and each lasted only a year. Time could still be infinite, but 'everything that exists' only last ten years. The rest of the time nothing would exist.

Firstly I would like to ask you about what a year is...just think about it for a moment. Secondly what meaning does time have when everything ceases to exist? what changes?

Actually you beg the question here, by saying 'time is only the chronology of reactions between things'. If that's true then what you say is true. But it isn't necessarily so. I can reverse the argument: if time is infinite then time is not just the record of reactions between things. (I agree that is also begging the question: I only advance it to illustrate.)

I could not have begged the question as there was no question, only a matter of fact statement. I can see that this whole argument hinges on the definition of time, so I will provide the definition of time.

Originally posted by Dictionary

the system of those sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.

As you can see Time is the sequential relations that any event has to any other. So as if there is nothing in existence, there are no events and if there are no events there are no relations between them In short time cannot continue if the universe was to end.

Furthermore if matter/energy is both destroyable and creatable then your first argument falls over. I would certainly accept that if there are 'things' around forever, and 'things' can be destroyed, then they must also be creatable. Destruction and creation go hand in hand.

No my argument remains valid because if matter can both be created and destroyed it may merely increase the time that passes before all ceases to exist. for example possums can both reproduce and die is this any reason for us to believe the species will never go extinct, anything that can go extinct will.

Then the universe itself can be such a being. Anyway 'matter by its very nature is within the confines of Scientific Law' doesn't make sense. Scientific laws are what we invent to try and explain what goes on around us. They are not laws that matter - or anything else - is subject to. No-one promulgates them. No-one enforces them. They simply are not 'laws' in that sense.

I know what a scientific law is, what i meant was that Matter is well matter and by its very nature has certain attributes and limitations (this is the case with all else in the universe) one of these limitations bieng the ability to create itself. God however is, you guessed it God and by his/her/its very nature is omnipotent and hence does not have any limitations.

It makes them feel pointless and threatened? They would begin to think the universe doesn't care for or even about them? Much safer to believe that somebody runs things and that somebody cares: much safer to be a child with a parent rather than a child on your own in the world.

Originally posted by Cezar

People (not all people) are afraid to accept that their life is irrelevant, that's a fact. Different causes for this, too.
The purpose of this fear? Well, does it really has to have a purpose? They're just afraid and seek refuge in illusions. Some get religious, some get monomanics, some get suicidal, some get nowhere, etc. The fear has effects, yet it has no purpose. It is only used for different purposes by those who want to control the people.
If only people would realize that they're relevant only to other people, not to some kind of divine entity.
There is nothing equal in arrogance to the statements of the OT regarding the reasons God had to create humans.

Why would people be afraid of thier life having no meaning( I agree people are, just making a point)? Yes the fear has to have a purpose if your an evolutionist you would need a reason for this fear to develop, chickens and cows don't kill themselves because they believe they have no purpose, yet people do. fear of hieghts exists to prevent injuries sustained by falling, fear of pain to avoid damage etc. What purpose exactly does the fear of a lack of purpose serve? why are we not content to breed as much as possible then die like so many other organisms? Furtheremore why do we all even possess this concept of purpose?

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 08-Apr-2007 at 04:22
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 05:48
Originally posted by fogger

Well both science and religion are really searching for the truth, in their own means and their own terms, and in their own ideas

Generally, religion isn't searching for the truth. Its claiming it has the truth. Even then 90% of the time the truths are not ones that are in anyway concerned with science. The most important truth of the faiths of the book is belief in God. Science does not (cannot) concern itself with this.
So you see we might say that theories and laws and procedures to obtain scientific accuracy are what we might say 'secure' and hence no possible way of false concepts to be accepted. However, back in time where there was less knowledge about how the world works and a small way to test or examine things, they conclude on what they have and what they can produce.

Only assuming that religion is an attempt to explain the universe. It is not (with some exceptions such as Genesis in the bibe), the Quran makes many more forays into scientific fields than the bible does, but none are attempts to explain something thats not understood. On the contrary, it is assumed that the reader is aware of the scientific facts and then uses them as pursuation to do other deeds (belief in God and obediance to its laws)

I don't actually agree with Omar that the purpose of religion has in fact been to seek the 'good' or define the 'good man'. The purpose of religion in general (and most religions are essentially unconcerned with what is good) is to explain the world and to learn how to control - or at least influence - it[1].

If Omar means the purpose of religion ought to be to seek the good, then that's a different matter. On the whole it hasn't been.

In what way hasn't it been? Religious texts are either defining the 'good man' or relating history about this religion. Although the proportion balances differently in each religion.
Originally posted by S&D

Religions sole purpose is to give meaning to why we exist, if it wasn't and everyone wasn't searching for a meaning, then there'd be no religion because there'd be no reason for people to spread it and except it.

Many religions do try to provide meaning to why we exist I admit. Although in my religion no attempt to provide a meaning to life is attempted, the focus being on what you should do now that you've got one.

As what i've said, religion said god made the earth rather than the big bang

The one does not exclude the other. In fact, don't go hedging your bets on the big bang either it's still just a theory that evidence appears to point to.
Is because early people don't have the capacity, tools, and knowledge to get to the point of big bang.

Most people now really don't understand the big bang themselves (myself included)
Originally posted by Praetor

Why would a high density of energy change the way the universe works? It's like saying you have a 100KG wombat and because that wieght is abnormal you must redefine a kilogram to mean a rubber ducky.

See what I mean fogger. Guys sit around and discuss this stuff even though they have no idea what the physics of the situation actually is. Yes Praetor, you are exactly right. A high density of energy would change the "way the universe"* works.

*Actually it won't change it at all. The universe always worked that way we just didn't know it, and can't percieve it.

Firstly I would like to ask you about what a year is...just think about it for a moment. Secondly what meaning does time have when everything ceases to exist? what changes?

Don't play games Praetor. I'm sure you know that 'a year' was an arbitatry unit of time.

the system of those sequential relations that any event has to any other, as past, present, or future; indefinite and continuous duration regarded as that in which events succeed one another.

As you can see Time is the sequential relations that any event has to any other. So as if there is nothing in existence, there are no events and if there are no events there are no relations between them In short time cannot continue if the universe was to end.

Time is a dimension. The dictionary is incorrect in a discussion about physics.

The critical failing in many peoples thoughts on these issues is to assume that science and religion are competing in the same field, and that they preach different things. With the exceptions of a few bible passages interpreted literally this is entirely incorrect. There is no science vs religion, perhaps science vs some christian sects, but don't include the whole of religion.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 08:19
Christ is risen.

I don't actually agree with Omar that the purpose of religion has in fact been to seek the 'good' or define the 'good man'. The purpose of religion in general (and most religions are essentially unconcerned with what is good) is to explain the world and to learn how to control - or at least influence - it[1].

Straw Man. Yes, I will say it again. However, this time I'll point out a few small problems with it. The first problem is that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Christianity doesn't teach you anything about manipulating the forces of the world. Islam doesn't allow you to levitate or use mind control on marsupials. Contrary to popular belief, Rabbis cannot read your mind. Buddhism basically says don't do anything. The exception, of course, is that we all know that nuns have powers LOL

The second problem is that you persist in having no idea what you're talking about. You see, religion is certainly very much involved in defining what a 'good man' should do. In fact, it seems to make up the majority of most religious texts. I can produce a million and one quotes from the bible alone that'll be concerned with what a 'good man' should do, and I challenge you to find one passage from the bible that tutors someone in the ways of mind control, psychokinesis, or whatever other crazy ideas you believe in.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The one does not exclude the other. In fact, don't go hedging your bets on the big bang either it's still just a theory that evidence appears to point to.

Indeed, religion does not exclude the big bang. In fact the big bang seems to support creation more than anything else. There is, however, little evidence supporting it.

Originally posted by Omar Al Hashim

See what I mean fogger. Guys sit around and discuss this stuff even though they have no idea what the physics of the situation actually is. Yes Praetor, you are exactly right. A high density of energy would change the "way the universe"* works.

*Actually it won't change it at all. The universe always worked that way we just didn't know it, and can't percieve it.

Paraphrasing:
"Yes children, when lots of energy sits together the laws of physics are completely different. We know this because we've never seen it before, and it has no logical explanation. However, it is undeniable fact... ignore my previous admission that I don't understand what I'm talking about."

Don't play games Praetor. I'm sure you know that 'a year' was an arbitatry unit of time.

You completely ignored the second part of that quote. Perhaps you can't answer it.

Let us, for the sake of physics, define drivel as whatever you just said. You can't disregard the dictionary because it suits you.

The critical failing in many peoples thoughts on these issues is to assume that science and religion are competing in the same field, and that they preach different things. With the exceptions of a few bible passages interpreted literally this is entirely incorrect. There is no science vs religion, perhaps science vs some christian sects, but don't include the whole of religion.

While I agree that science and religion are not exclusive, your attempts at facing off your rivals in Christianity against your rivals in Atheism. Very nice style, however you failed to address that there are many passages in the Koran, intepretted literally, that are also in contradiction to 'science'. The nature of divinity itself is in contradiction to scientific method. I'm afraid you got called out on your little maneuvre, not that it means a little much. Just don't think you're so clever.

Edited by Zaitsev - 08-Apr-2007 at 08:37
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 09:14

Why would a high density of energy change the way the universe works?
It doesn't necessarily. It brings about a state in which the laws we know cannot be relied on any more, because they are based on assumptions about that density.

It's like saying you have a 100KG wombat and because that wieght is abnormal you must redefine a kilogram to mean a rubber ducky.
Not at all. It's like saying if you see an eight-foot high rabbit you can't rely on it being harmless, like you can a normal one.

If the assumptions on which you have developed your hypotheses, and on which you have based your experiments, change sufficiently then they are no longer to be relied on. 

Why?

That seems to me like saying that because there is an infinite number of integers they must all occur multiple times.

I don't see how you could come to that conclusion in fact what I said is that if there is a finite amount in existence then there is only a finite amount of combinations (or integars). Assuming this amount can niether increase nor decrease then there would be infinite time and all combinations would eventually occur multiple times.
Again, you simply state that, you don't provide a rationale. WHY would they have to occur multiple times? (Obviously they might, but why 'have to'?) 

Suppose there were only ten combinations and each lasted only a year. Time could still be infinite, but 'everything that exists' only last ten years. The rest of the time nothing would exist.

Firstly I would like to ask you about what a year is...just think about it for a moment.
Irrelevant. Substitute any other unit of time you like. The argument does not depend on the length of a year. The argument simply relies on the fact that nothing might exist some of the time.

Secondly what meaning does time have when everything ceases to exist? what changes?
1) Depends on what meaning you're assigning to the word in the first place.
2) Things start to exist, stop existing....
You are I suspect confusing time with ageing. Or you're suggesting that time only exists if we are capable of recording it.

(Incidentally, remember I'm only arguing that eternal time is logically possible, not that time is actually infinite. If you want to define time as something that cannot be infinite, I can't stop you, but it would be begging the question.)

Actually you beg the question here, by saying 'time is only the chronology of reactions between things'. If that's true then what you say is true. But it isn't necessarily so. I can reverse the argument: if time is infinite then time is not just the record of reactions between things. (I agree that is also begging the question: I only advance it to illustrate.)

I could not have begged the question as there was no question, only a matter of fact statement.
The question was whether the matter of fact statement was true or not.

However 'begging the question' is a possibly inadequate but age-old way of saying that you are assuming the truth of your conclusion in order to prove it. Latin may be clearer: "petitio principii", which is traditionally translated as as 'begging the question' though it means neither 'begging' nor 'question' in the more modern sense of the words.

I can see that this whole argument hinges on the definition of time, so I will provide the definition of time.
THE definition of time?

That's two definitions. And I doubt they are THE only ones.

As you can see Time is the sequential relations that any event has to any other.
That's the first definition given. It's different from the second.

So as if there is nothing in existence, there are no events and if there are no events there are no relations between them.
The second definition is that time is the INDEFINITE duration in which events succeed one another. 'Indefinite' implies infinite. 'Indefinitely' long duration is infinite duration. It is then WITHIN that duration that events occur: It does not say that the duration only exists when events are occurring.

Similarly space is the indefinite extent within which objects are located. If there are no objects it doesn't mean there is no space.
[/QUOTE]

In short time cannot continue if the universe was to end.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I agree with that: it merely means that if you postulate infinite time you must postulate an infinite - timewise - universe. I would have thought that was obvious, and going this long way around to prove it rather a waste of time.

Furthermore if matter/energy is both destroyable and creatable then your first argument falls over. I would certainly accept that if there are 'things' around forever, and 'things' can be destroyed, then they must also be creatable. Destruction and creation go hand in hand.

No my argument remains valid because if matter can both be created and destroyed it may merely increase the time that passes before all ceases to exist.
Your argument was that is MUST do so not that it MAY do so. If one thing can always be created to replace the thing destroyed, then the process CAN go on for ever without running out of 'things'.
[/QUOTE]

for example possums can both reproduce and die is this any reason for us to believe the species will never go extinct, anything that can go extinct will.
[/QUOTE]
It is logically possible, if those are the only factors involved, that possums could go on for ever. They might die out. They might expand indefinitely with no limit: the ony things that prevent that are outside factors.

Then the universe itself can be such a being. Anyway 'matter by its very nature is within the confines of Scientific Law' doesn't make sense. Scientific laws are what we invent to try and explain what goes on around us. They are not laws that matter - or anything else - is subject to. No-one promulgates them. No-one enforces them. They simply are not 'laws' in that sense.

I know what a scientific law is,
Then how can you say matter is confined by scientific law?
/ what i meant was that Matter is well matter and by its very nature has certain attributes and limitations (this is the case with all else in the universe) one of these limitations bieng the ability to create itself.

Again, if that's the way you define 'matter' then fine. Now you have to demonstrate that everything in the universe, including the universe itself, meets your definition of 'matter'.

Otherwise this is how your argument works (or rather doesn't):
You state, approximately:
1) matter cannot create itself.
2) everything in the universe is matter
3) therefore the universe cannot create itself.

1 is a definition, and you're free to set that up as a premise.
2 however is an assertion of fact: it assumes everything is matter and therefore, by your definition, cannot create itself

Now, if you could provide empirical proof of (2) that would be fine, but you don't offer anything. You just repeat in (3) the argument that is implicit in (2) - that the universe cannot create itself. That is 'begging the question'.

It's as if you had written
1) Matter cannot create itself.
2) The universe cannot create itself.
3) Therefore the universe cannot create itself.

God however is, you guessed it God and by his/her/its very nature is omnipotent and hence does not have any limitations.

Again, you simply assert that. Why God? Why one something with no 'limitations'? Why not lots of things/beings/whatevers with no limitations - or merely limitations that are different from those of 'matter', whatever you mean by that?

If you can simply assert, with no proof, that God has no limitations, why cannot I simply assert, with no proof, that the universe didn't need to be created by anything?

If that is all you are doing then why should anyone take any notice of your assertion? Why does it have any more grounds than any groundless metaphysical statement?

It makes them feel pointless and threatened? They would begin to think the universe doesn't care for or even about them? Much safer to believe that somebody runs things and that somebody cares: much safer to be a child with a parent rather than a child on your own in the world.

Originally posted by Cezar

People (not all people) are afraid to accept that their life is irrelevant, that's a fact. Different causes for this, too.
The purpose of this fear? Well, does it really has to have a purpose? They're just afraid and seek refuge in illusions. Some get religious, some get monomanics, some get suicidal, some get nowhere, etc. The fear has effects, yet it has no purpose. It is only used for different purposes by those who want to control the people.
If only people would realize that they're relevant only to other people, not to some kind of divine entity.
There is nothing equal in arrogance to the statements of the OT regarding the reasons God had to create humans.

Why would people be afraid of thier life having no meaning( I agree people are, just making a point)? Yes the fear has to have a purpose if your an evolutionist you would need a reason for this fear to develop, chickens and cows don't kill themselves because they believe they have no purpose, yet people do. fear of hieghts exists to prevent injuries sustained by falling, fear of pain to avoid damage etc. What purpose exactly does the fear of a lack of purpose serve? why are we not content to breed as much as possible then die like so many other organisms? Furtheremore why do we all even possess this concept of purpose?

Regards, Praetor.

Evolution doesn't have reasons. It doesn't have goals. It's not a teleological process. It's not some kind of design process, though it can often produce the appearance of design or purpose.

This 'fear' could be as meanngless as an appendix, or as counter-survival as hemophilia, and still be inherited. Moreover, there's no real reason to suppose it is inherited rather than learned, so it may not be subject to evolutionary selection at all. It's easy to think of other psychological conditions, like pedophilia and anorexia nervosa, that are counter-survival.

With regard to why we possess the concept of purpose: through the mechanism of consciousness I am directly aware that I plan: that I have purposes for what I do.

It is then a very simple jump for me to assume that other people, who appear like me in so many other respects, also are conscious and make deliberate plans (though of course in some instances I may be mistaken).

For the primitive it is then another short step to assume that other animals are conscious and plan ahead. I don't think there is a single primitive culture that does not make that assumption to some extent. Again, at least some of the time here we are correct: though probably much of the time we are wrong.

As for animals, so for other things that show signs of life - plants, primarily but even such as volcanos and rivers

At a more advanced stage that develops into the assumption of supernatural beings controlling plants and geological and meterological phenomena, and on into the development of the sophisticated polytheistic religions, until we get to monotheism.

Throughout though there remains the concept of purpose, arising simply from our direct perception that we ourselves plan.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 09:24

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

No, I think Religion is trying to find something, and use a means of a supernatural being to give a reason they exist. Science is trying to explain why everything happened using the rules in the universe, not looking outside of it. They do this through predictions and observations.
There is a distinction to be drawn betwee 'a reason they exist' in the sense of an explanation why they exist, and in the sense of a purpose for which they were created.

Science, you are correct in saying, is concerned with the first of those, and seems to deny that there is a second.

However, my general point is that all religions (pace Buddhism, as I noted) tend to provide the explanation 'why' whereas many of them are unconcerned with purpose. Religions where humanity or individuals are seen to have some divinely given purpose are in fact rather rare. It may even be unique to the Abrahamic religions, though I suggest that with some trepidation.

If science finds out that the big bang happened and that evolution is true, that doesn't bring about a meaning for life, it doesn't fill a spiritual niche. All it does is explains what happens, tells the truth.
But you could say the same thing about the Graeco-Roman or other Indo-Euoropean religions.

What all religions and science have in common is that  they provide a sense of security, a sense that at least someone somewhere knows what is going on.

Religions sole purpose is to give meaning to why we exist, if it wasn't and everyone wasn't searching for a meaning, then there'd be no religion because there'd be no reason for people to spread it and except it. Religion isn't looking for a truth, if they were, they wouldn't be attacking science saying it interferes with their belief.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 09:54

Originally posted by Zaitsev

Christ is risen.

Straw Man. Yes, I will say it again.
How can it be a straw man? I made an assertion: I didn't claim anyone else had said it.

However, this time I'll point out a few small problems with it. The first problem is that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Christianity doesn't teach you anything about manipulating the forces of the world.
Did you bother to read the footnote? I said I personally would rather call that 'magic' rather than 'religion'. However 'religion' is frequently used to cover magical practices as well.

In Christianity it's usually done through 'prayer', although you also have the practices of the mass and confession and absolution and so on. And don't try and tell me Christians don't pray for things and that churches  don't encourage them to do so. If you want to say they shouldn't do so, then that your affair.

I'd accept that the magical practices associated with Christianity have very little if anything to do with Jesus' original message, but they are nevertheless part of the religion, and have been a key factor in its spread.
Islam doesn't allow you to levitate or use mind control on marsupials.
Trivialities don't enhance your arguments. If anything they put people off.

What I just said about Christianity more or less also applies (sorry Omar, but you can't really deny it) to Islam.

Contrary to popular belief, Rabbis cannot read your mind. Buddhism basically says don't do anything. The exception, of course, is that we all know that nuns have powers LOL
Not actually funny.

Also you appear to know nothing about the history of medieval occultism, much of which is bound up with the Kabbala (again, rightly or wrongly) or with the most popular forms of Buddhism, especially the mahayana and the Tibetan forms.

To dismiss Gautama's teaching as 'basically don't do anything' is at about the same level of childishness and ignorance as saying Jesus's teaching was 'basically be a wimp'.

The second problem is that you persist in having no idea what you're talking about. You see, religion is certainly very much involved in defining what a 'good man' should do. In fact, it seems to make up the majority of most religious texts.
I have a sneaky feeling that once more you are assuming 'religious' means 'Christian'. It doesn't. It doesn't even mean 'Abrahamic'.

Even within the Abrahamic religions however, the emphasis on being 'good' is connected indissolubly with pleasing God, and therefore avoiding his wrath on earth (early Judaism) or ensuring one's place in Paradise (Pharisees onward).

There are of course honourable exceptions to that rule (especially among strict Calvinists), but the medieval cathedrals weren't built up on the desire of rich aristocrats to seek the good for its own sake.

I can produce a million and one quotes from the bible alone that'll be concerned with what a 'good man' should do,
Try doing it in the Tao.

and I challenge you to find one passage from the bible that tutors someone in the ways of mind control, psychokinesis, or whatever other crazy ideas you believe in.
You have absolutely no reason to think I would believe in any of those things. In fact I have absolutely no idea of how things like 'mind control' and 'psychokinesis' got into the discussion.

However, if you want biblical texts telling its readers how to avoid God's wrath ('don't build idols' and so on) or, alternatively, how to get him on your side, there are hundreds of them. Try Proverbs.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Indeed, religion does not exclude the big bang. In fact the big bang seems to support creation more than anything else. There is, however, little evidence supporting it.

Paraphrasing:
"Yes children, when lots of energy sits together the laws of physics are completely different. We know this because we've never seen it before, and it has no logical explanation. However, it is undeniable fact... ignore my previous admission that I don't understand what I'm talking about."

You completely ignored the second part of that quote. Perhaps you can't answer it.

Let us, for the sake of physics, define drivel as whatever you just said. You can't disregard the dictionary because it suits you.

While I agree that science and religion are not exclusive, your attempts at facing off your rivals in Christianity against your rivals in Atheism. Very nice style, however you failed to address that there are many passages in the Koran, intepretted literally, that are also in contradiction to 'science'. The nature of divinity itself is in contradiction to scientific method. I'm afraid you got called out on your little maneuvre, not that it means a little much. Just don't think you're so clever.

Omar is light-years cleverer than you, as you make apparent in every post.

Edited by gcle2003 - 08-Apr-2007 at 09:56
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 11:25
He is risen indeed.

I went to church this morning, and oddly enough we were dealing with the concept of the ressurection and salvation. This seems a bit strange, because as we all know - I spend most of the year training with the youth group in the ways of the force. I suspect Omar has fallen to the dark side. I now understand why religious people scare you so much, because as we all know, Tony Blaire is actually being psychically controlled by a crack team of infiltration nuns. I myself am the commander of a squadron of undead Templar Knights. At night we wage secret underground wars against Hindu zombie elephants, and pink unicorns from the depths of hades. End Sarcasm.

Many religions do try to provide meaning to why we exist I admit. Although in my religion no attempt to provide a meaning to life is attempted, the focus being on what you should do now that you've got one.

You seem to be confusing two fundamentally different concepts Omar. One is how we came to be, and the other is why. What you should do with your life is "why".

As Zaitsev has pointed out, you are hardly in a position to criticise, having yourself admitted you do not understand the subject. Furthermore, you never even attempted to disprove my logic. Finally I would like to highlight your use of the phrase "can't percieve it". If that was the case, how was this outlandish theory developed?

all units of time are measured either by an event, such as the rotation of the earth (a day) or a division of this such as an hour (1 24th of a day, approximately). so without any events you would not have any units of time at all.

we cannot redefine language for our own convenience. furtheremore this is the definition of a dimension in regards to Phsyics:

A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time.

doesn't sound too bad until you take a look at the relevent definition for Physical in regards to science:

Of or relating to matter and energy or the sciences dealing with them, especially physics.

Now if there was no matter and energy there are no dimensions and hence no time.

ps. gcle2003 I have not forgotten your post and I will respond to it shortly.

Regards, Praetor.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:03

How can it be a straw man? I made an assertion: I didn't claim anyone else had said it.

Once again you prove you don't even understand your own pet saying. Whether or not it is alleged someone else said it is irrelevent in terms of a straw man:
"a weak or sham argument"

Did you bother to read the footnote? I said I personally would rather call that 'magic' rather than 'religion'. However 'religion' is frequently used to cover magical practices as well.

That was quite a moronic footnote I must say. It basically said "here's my definition of religion, but it's actually my definition for magic. However I will leave it titled as my definition for religion so I can get away with making unfounded claims about religion."

In Christianity it's usually done through 'prayer', although you also have the practices of the mass and confession and absolution and so on. And don't try and tell me Christians don't pray for things and that churches  don't encourage them to do so. If you want to say they shouldn't do so, then that your affair.

What exactly have mass and confession got to do with changing the world? Prayer also doesn't change the world. What you are doing, in the case that you do pray for something to change, is that you are asking God to change something. This is not really a large part of religion, as prayer is labelled as a conduit to talk to God and ask for forgiveness. To say that the major aspect of Christianity is praying for stuff to happen simply proves you don't understand anything about Christianity.

I'd accept that the magical practices associated with Christianity have very little if anything to do with Jesus' original message, but they are nevertheless part of the religion, and have been a key factor in its spread.

Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish with no argument behind it I see. Another straw man [a weak or sham argument ].

What I just said about Christianity more or less also applies (sorry Omar, but you can't really deny it) to Islam.

Well what you said about Christianity was really about what you'd like to think Christianity is, so I also suspect you're wrong about Islam, although I am not as well versed.

Also you appear to know nothing about the history of medieval occultism, much of which is bound up with the Kabbala (again, rightly or wrongly) or with the most popular forms of Buddhism, especially the mahayana and the Tibetan forms.

Indeed, some people experimented with magic during the middle ages... and this is somehow meant to prove that altering the world is the main point of religion? You have sorely failed I am sorry. It's like saying Hitler used evolution to justify the holocaust, so therefore the main point of evolution is killing Jews.

To dismiss Gautama's teaching as 'basically don't do anything' is at about the same level of childishness and ignorance as saying Jesus's teaching was 'basically be a wimp'.

Quote Gautama telling Buddhists to change the world.

I have a sneaky feeling that once more you are assuming 'religious' means 'Christian'. It doesn't. It doesn't even mean 'Abrahamic'.

Even within the Abrahamic religions however, the emphasis on being 'good' is connected indissolubly with pleasing God, and therefore avoiding his wrath on earth (early Judaism) or ensuring one's place in Paradise (Pharisees onward).

There are of course honourable exceptions to that rule (especially among strict Calvinists), but the medieval cathedrals weren't built up on the desire of rich aristocrats to seek the good for its own sake.

Actually the main point of obeying God is an attempt to further the moral code inherent in the religion, in Abrahamic religions. Your pointlessly cynical remark is like assuming you're only polite to people of the other sex because you want to get in their pants. I'm sure the only reason you haven't been spending your life raping underage girls is because you fear the law[1].

You have absolutely no reason to think I would believe in any of those things. In fact I have absolutely no idea of how things like 'mind control' and 'psychokinesis' got into the discussion.

Perhaps love potions, after all the Bible's primary purpose is to teach people magic, as you have already alleged several times.

Makes me wonder where you sit, because all you managed to produce was some mindless drivel attempting to measure intelligence with units of distance. You're a confused man gcle, and you can't keep retracting every statement you make when it's proven wrong.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 06:10

He is risen indeed.

I went to church this morning, and oddly enough we were dealing with the concept of the ressurection and salvation. This seems a bit strange, because as we all know - I spend most of the year training with the youth group in the ways of the force. I suspect Omar has fallen to the dark side. I now understand why religious people scare you so much, because as we all know, Tony Blaire is actually being psychically controlled by a crack team of infiltration nuns. I myself am the commander of a squadron of undead Templar Knights. At night we wage secret underground wars against Hindu zombie elephants, and pink unicorns from the depths of hades. End Sarcasm.
Haven't you yet realised that sarcasm of that type is ineffective and gets you nowhere? It doesn't advance your argument (or reflect on your antagonist's) one little bit.

If anything it weakens your own position, because it makes it look as if you have nothing sensible to say.

I actually expect that one day you will realise the idiocy of it, since on the whole you appear to be intelligent.

You seem to be confusing two fundamentally different concepts Omar. One is how we came to be, and the other is why. What you should do with your life is "why".
That depends on your answer to 'why'. I can see your point from a Christian point of view, but only from a Christian one.

As Zaitsev has pointed out, you are hardly in a position to criticise, having yourself admitted you do not understand the subject. Furthermore, you never even attempted to disprove my logic. Finally I would like to highlight your use of the phrase "can't percieve it". If that was the case, how was this outlandish theory developed?
People thought it up. People have thought up all sorts of theories about things they couldn't perceive.

I thought Omar in fact accidentally misquoted you. Did you not suggest that the density would NOT change the way the universe worked?

However, Omar is strictly correct. The universe, according to the theory, always worked that way - i.e. it was always affected by the mass/energy density.

all units of time are measured either by an event, such as the rotation of the earth (a day) or a division of this such as an hour (1 24th of a day, approximately). so without any events you would not have any units of time at all.
Irrelevant to Omar's point, though it has some bearing on my original one. It's the definition of a year that is irrelevant to the argument, and led to the feeling you were playing games.

The deeper point is that a 'unit of time' is not 'time' any more than a unit of length is a length.

'Units' of measurement (irrespective of what you are measuring) are invented by us (possibly by other sentient beings): their existence depends on the existence of humans or humanlike beings. But what they are units of does not so depend.

So, without events we may not be able to measure time (we would have no units, but more importantly we wouldn't exist), but that doesn't mean the time does not exist, any more than it means time can only exist if we do.

(Unless you want to get into purely solipsistic arguments.)

we cannot redefine language for our own convenience. furtheremore this is the definition of a dimension in regards to Phsyics:

A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time.

doesn't sound too bad until you take a look at the relevent definition for Physical in regards to science:

Of or relating to matter and energy or the sciences dealing with them, especially physics.

Now if there was no matter and energy there are no dimensions and hence no time.

ps. gcle2003 I have not forgotten your post and I will respond to it shortly.
Your dictionary quotes are very selective. In particular not only physical systems have dimensions. (Unless you want to twist 'physical' so that is also means 'psychological' or 'fictional' or 'emotional'.)

For that matter, you are also denying that there is a science of psychology unless you restrict it to Skinnerite behaviourism.

You might have a case to argue that you cannot have duration without having things that endure. However, a 'duration' is a length of time, a designated period between two 'moments': it isn't time itself. 

Regards, Praetor.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 06:54

Originally posted by Zaitsev

Once again you prove you don't even understand your own pet saying. Whether or not it is alleged someone else said it is irrelevent in terms of a straw man:
"a weak or sham argument"
A 'straw man' is a weak or sham argument attributed to the antagonist, so that it can easily be disproved.

That was quite a moronic footnote I must say. It basically said "here's my definition of religion, but it's actually my definition for magic. However I will leave it titled as my definition for religion so I can get away with making unfounded claims about religion."
No it didn't. It said "the distinction I prefer to draw is different from that normally drawn (for reasons explained in one of my books): however here I am using the more common definitions."

That's a reasonable position to take.

And it's not making unfounded claims about religion in the common sense of religion. They would be unfounded in my preferred sense of religion (which excludes magic as I would define it).

The common sense of religion includes prayer to achieve wished-for goals. It includes acting so as to maximise one's chances of a fortunate afterlife; it includes holding rain-dances and similar ceremonies; it includes pouring libations to the gods and making sacrifices to appease them; it includes mutilating one's body to express repentance or for similar religious reasons.

All of those are attempts to influence what happens in the world; to try as best one can to control it.

What exactly have mass and confession got to do with changing the world? Prayer also doesn't change the world. What you are doing, in the case that you do pray for something to change, is that you are asking God to change something.
Asking God to change something IS trying to change it. That you believe the way to change things (or ensure a favourable outcome) is to ask a more powerful figure to intervene makes no difference: that's just the technique you use. And it is pretty fundamental to most religions.

This is not really a large part of religion, as prayer is labelled as a conduit to talk to God and ask for forgiveness. To say that the major aspect of Christianity is praying for stuff to happen simply proves you don't understand anything about Christianity.
I said it was a major aspect of religion. Contrary to what you may believe, religion is not Christianity: Christianity is merely one religion among many - or rather many different religious sects forming a group of religions.

Different Christian sects have different attitudes to prayer, that's true. But you can't single out one particular sect and say 'that is Christianity' any more than you can single out Christianity and say 'that is religion'.

Rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish with no argument behind it I see.
Agreed I didn't present an argument there. However that adopting Christian practices would lead to a fortunate afterlife, irrespective of one's status in this one, was more influential in spreading Christianity in the ancient world than anything else.

'Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth' Jesus preached.

Now I know that there are many interpretations of that among different sects nowadays: I have heard a Primitive Baptist minister go as far as preaching that he meant 'Because you are the elite that will inherit the earth, therefore you are meek'. But the quite obvious meaning to most people - and this goes for the rest of the sermon also - was that 'if you behave this way, you will benefit'.

Just as much as when Gautama preached the Eightfold Path, most of his followers believed that was the way to improve one's lot.

Another straw man [a weak or sham argument ].
Like I said before, you just dig yourself in deeper and deeper.

Well what you said about Christianity was really about what you'd like to think Christianity is, so I also suspect you're wrong about Islam, although I am not as well versed.
I've been studying both a whole lot longer than you have. And my comparative religion textbook was generally accepted by all the religious authorities that approved it.

Indeed, some people experimented with magic during the middle ages... and this is somehow meant to prove that altering the world is the main point of religion?
Not what I said. I said it was one of the two major points of religion as normally defined. Yet again I personally think of this as magic, not religion. Just as designing a computer is - the way I would define things - technology not science.

You have sorely failed I am sorry.
Then explain to me - and everyone else - just how holding rain dances, building pyramids, burying chariots with a war-leader's body, making blood sacrifices to Huitzilopochtli and, yes, crossing oneself before going out to play a game of football are not attempts to control what happens.

It's like saying Hitler used evolution to justify the holocaust, so therefore the main point of evolution is killing Jews.
It's not like that at all.

It's saying that most people - universally - in carrying out their religious rites have much of the time, if not all, being trying to influence what happens in the world, usually by invoking the intercession (or abstention from intercession) of supernatural beings.  

You can read pretty well any anthropological study concerned with religion for relevant data, if you can't see it all around you. Try, since it's always a good start, Frazer's Golden Bough.

Quote Gautama telling Buddhists to change the world.
Gautama's message was that suffering arose from attachment to desire. He therefore taught people to abstain from such attachment, and preached the Eightfold Path as the way to achieve that aim.

For a commentary on that see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_Path
but the eight elements are, in brief and in English, Right view, Right intention, Right speech, Right action, Right livelihood, Right effort, Right mindfulness, Right concentration.

Actually the main point of obeying God is an attempt to further the moral code inherent in the religion, in Abrahamic religions. Your pointlessly cynical remark is like assuming you're only polite to people of the other sex because you want to get in their pants. I'm sure the only reason you haven't been spending your life raping underage girls is because you fear the law[1].
Personal abuse like that won't get you anywhere except possibly banned. It won't irritate me, since it indicates how desperately groping for any kind of argument you are.

Perhaps love potions, after all the Bible's primary purpose is to teach people magic, as you have already alleged several times.
I haven't said it even once. The Bible has many purposes: I would suggest the primary purposes of the Old Testament were to explain the rules and regulations applied in Jewish life, and how they derive from God's message to his people; and to record the history of the Jewish people. The primary purpose of much of the New Testament is the same, substituting 'early Christian' for 'Jewish'. 

Makes me wonder where you sit, because all you managed to produce was some mindless drivel attempting to measure intelligence with units of distance. You're a confused man gcle, and you can't keep retracting every statement you make when it's proven wrong.

If I'm the one who's confused, how come you're the one who has to descend to calling people sexual perverts?

Edited by gcle2003 - 10-Apr-2007 at 06:56
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 13:31
Just checking to make sure the body count doesn't exceed the amount prescribed in the coc.Tongue Gentleman lets keep it civil.  The dead and wounded shall not at anytime exceed 3 feet in depth.Big%20smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
HistoryPoi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 19:44
i cant be bothered reading everything. But in the question something stood out to me. Whoever wrote the first thing  said it was interesting when science and religion clash.
Fascinating, the science is based on fact and religion is based on believe, illogical accountsm and a 2000 year old book.
Clearly im rooting for evolutionism.
Also, All schools in Australia (including Catholic, Anglican, and all the other Chrisitan and non-Christian ones) all teach evolution. Hinting something?
Viva La Vida!
El Pollo Loco View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 14:30
Yes its hinting something. Also a lot of schools in america. Starting in the 1960s, kids stoped praying in schools, the word God ceased to be mentioned, and evolution has been taught as fact. Also, starting about ten to twenty years after that, america starts becoming corrupted. Ideas like post modernism start to form, crime increases, and people stop caring about the future, only today. People kill for fun (not mental problems, fun), kids think that walking around school in a trench coat, combat boots, lots of body peircings, and sometimes even carrying a gun with you (columbine for instance) is cool. Truth is now relative. Movies dont have good guys or bad guys anymore, no black and white, everything is now grey. Divorce rates have increased to numbers that would have been simply unbeleivable to people 50 years ago. Abortion has become something that DOCTORS do! Doctors are supposed to save life, I thought. And its not even the very major things like that. These days, you wont find the nice, TV comercial people anymore. People dont smile anymore, just to smile. People arent polite for politeness sake. People dont obey unspoken rules because they are supposed to anymore. Now the only things people do are out of self intrest. Now people do what they know is WRONG and feel no guilt. People are now looking for ways to stop the resolution of conflicts, because it might "hurt someones feelings" It wasnt this way 50 years ago. So yes, I see something being hinted at. People who see themselves as dirt are easier to control. You can make them beleive anything. And if you want my opinion, evolution is the greatest blight on humankind, other than sin itself. And evolution is going to go away eventually, becaue of the Scientific Cycle.

Fact gathering
Synthesis
Normal Science
Changing Rules
Chaos
New Synthesis
Normal science
Changing Rules
Chaos
New Synthesis
Normal Science...

A theory is created, and it seems to be fact. Then something happens, the rules change, there is chaos, then a new theory is created to meet the new rules, science continues, until the rules change again, there is chaos, a new theory is created, normal science continues...

It is an endless cycle, and to say that evolution is an exception is to say that evolution isn't scientific. Look at pluto. It used to be a planet. Now it is a "Dwarf Planet." The same thing happened with the theory of gravity. Newtons Laws were trusted completely until Einstein came along. Some things have even been completely rebuked. People used to think the earth was flat. Then somebody proved it was round. The earth was supposed to be the center of existence. Then we decided it was the sun. Then we found that the sun was part of the solar system, which was part of a galaxy. In this galaxy, the solar system is only a tiny spec. Then we foud that there are billions of galaxys, always expanding outward in this universe. And there are even theories about many universes inside a "Multiverse". Man has become incredibly small. And countless theories have been destroyed, even when they were taught as fact for many years, by the worlds most educated men. Do not suppose that the same thing cant happen to evolution.

As far as creation goes, I beleive it, because of the overwhelming proof. Now you might be going "overwhelming proof? What?" Let me explain. There are two basic studies of reality: Science and Theology. Science attempts to explain things of a physical nature. For instance, a great Scientist would be Einstein. Theology attempts to explain things of a spiritual nature. And of chourse they do other things to, but it would take to long to go over them all. However, because a Theologian must study what he (or she) cant see, hear, touch, taste or smell normaly, they go back to people who could, or had seen angels, demons, or even god. Using such methods, a theologian can attempt to study. Now the bible (or whatever holy book you beleive) is the theological equivalent of of the simplest laws of science, although since none of ones senses can detect anything spiritual, even the simplest laws are up for debate. However, one thing all theologians agree on is that there is a God/gods (when I say theologian, I mean it in the broadest possible sense.). Now if you place the Bible as the ultamate truth (which I do), you get lots of overwhelming evidince that the earth was CREATED (because the bible would, in and of itself count as evidence)

Anybody who says there is no God is a fool in the most extreme sense. That is like saying 2+2=1287361208736128653. If you go to the countries in africa, like Ugahnda, Ethiopia, places with people who have the least incentive or reason to beleive that there is anything like in even the remotest way a God, and you say that there is no god, they will very likely laugh at you, or act as if you are crazy.

I realize this post has gotten quite long, and I still had more to say. I also realize that most poeple will think I am crazy upon reading this. Thats what theology class does to you (or maybe I was always like this).
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 08:12
I couldn't help but notice the previous member hinting (actually not hinting but expressing certainly) that atheism causes violence and immorality. Allow me to differ, it is religion that endangers the life of humans, millions of people have been murdered in the most hideous way, tortured, persecuted by theists for what is in many cases a scarcely distinguishable alternative faith. Theism is often used to subjugate the masses or oppress people. Black slaves in the Americas were controlled not only by the threat of violence but also by promises of an after life, which blunted their dissatisfaction and benefited their white masters who were deeply religious themselves, when they were not busy killing, torturing and raping their -equally religious- slaves.

*edit*
 I won't spend much effort to discuss evolution vs. creationism since I believe that there's not much to say to a theist on this matter, they're based on belief not facts and you can't argue on these terms.
I do want to emphasize to the forum members that this is a real fight with a real political agenda. In parts of the US, science is under attack from a well-organized, politically well-connected and above all well-financed part of the political spectrum, that of the far-right fundamentalists and the teaching of evolution is in the front line trench. Most research money comes from the government and elected representatives have to answer not only to scientists and to the well-informed but also to the ignorant and prejudiced voters. Creationism cannot exist without religion and religion does not have a place in the fields of science unless we care to invite magic to it as well.

"A professorship of theology should have no place in our institution" - Thomas Jefferson

It is not a fight between evolution and creationism, it is a struggle between science and superstition and all thinking people should take a side.

Edited by Yiannis - 16-Jun-2007 at 08:27
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 23:04

As for yur first paragraph, I would like to point out something: It was not just theists that tortured in inhumane ways. Everybody tortured, there was no democracy back then. Poeple were tortured because of religion, anf by religion, I will admit that. Did I say the church was immune to corruption because they were (arguably) christian? Everybod corrupts, particularly people and things in power, so there are no exceptions. Indeed, religion can be a great tool to people looking for power. But only religions that say in their holy text (or teachings if there is no holy text) to kill people, to torture, or to commit horrible acts can be critisized for such things, otherwise one must critisize the church or orginization that commited them.

As to your second point: That is foolishness in the extreme. You cannot separate truth into two truths, and then claim they oppose. And saying that there is no God is foolish also. People KNOW there is a God. Dont say that it is only a Psycological phenomenon, or some junk like that. Thats just psychobable, coming out of the mouths of people who could only define the word if they looked it up in the dictionary, and is usually used to make one sound intelegent (I know these things, I debate. Its quite common in certain topics). Your claim that it is a struggle between science and superstition has no provided backing. Quite simply, there are more than two sides in this issue, one is Anti-Evolution. So in some cases this is a struggle between science and science, particularly whenever somebody makes a post for or against evolution. So around half of these posts science vs science, as opposed to the assumed science vs. superstition.

A quick definition of superstition from dictionary.com:
An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

This definition seems to say more like "if you carve a persons name into a peice of wood and burn it, and repeat the process for a month, that person will become your friend" (that one is from a book on magic my older brother had), not "if the creator of the universe decrees that something will happen, it will". I see very little conection to religion and superstition, except for in superstitious religions (vodoo).

And if you want some science, here is some: According to physics, the world can not exist without some being or thing that created the rules. So there had to be a "creator" in some sense, no matter how you look at it.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 01:02
No, no one KNOWS that there is a god. There's a reason that religion and the "belief" in divinity is called "FAITH", because you NEED IT! Wacko
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 06:12
Originally posted by El Pollo Loco

As for yur first paragraph, I would like to point out something: It was not just theists that tortured in inhumane ways. Everybody tortured, there was no democracy back then.

I don't know where to start. Really.

Not believing was not an option in the past. If you were an atheist, you'd be killed (talking about Monotheism, mainly). So all those who killed and tortured claimed to be religious and killed in the name of religion. I don't recall anyone killing to the name of atheism.
Considering Democracy as a safe haven against torture is absurd. Remember Guantanamo.

But only religions that say in their holy text (or teachings if there is no holy text) to kill people, to torture, or to commit horrible acts can be critisized for such things, otherwise one must critisize the church or orginization that commited them.

It's in the Bible, which I suspect you believe, that one should be stoned to death for disrespecting his father or for picking sticks on a Sabbath.

People KNOW there is a God.
  Some people BELIEVE there's a god, or many gods, or some supernatural creature like the Holy Whore or Aldebaran, that does not make the Holy Whore of Aldebaran a reality, just as it does not prove the existence of any other God like Zeus or Baal or Jahve or...

Your claim that it is a struggle between science and superstition has no provided backing. Quite simply, there are more than two sides in this issue, one is Anti-Evolution. So in some cases this is a struggle between science and science, particularly whenever somebody makes a post for or against evolution.

Theory of Evolution is, indisputably between scientists, the most comprehensive and accepted. By "theory" we do not refer to something that is conceived in one's mind and one either believes in it or rejects it. Theories are documented proof of why this is the standing truth, until (and if) some other scientist disproves it. No-one has convincingly disproved the Theory of relativity yet, even if some parts may be debatable. As a whole it is the current truth, just as the theory of evolution or Gravity.
Other relevant theories, such as creationism, require the element of God to justify themselves and God has no place in Science. Science is studying the natural world not spooks and goblins.

Sidenote: Study by the journal Nature, in 1998, showed that of those American scientists considered by their peers eminent enough to have been elected to the Natural Academy of Sciences, only 7% believed in a personal God.  http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/3506.asp
My feeling is it's not the case that only atheists become prominent scientists, but the fact that those who study understand the improbability of God.

And if you want some science, here is some: According to physics, the world can not exist without some being or thing that created the rules. So there had to be a "creator" in some sense, no matter how you look at it.

Ah! The famous Aquinas argument. I wondered when it was going to pop-up. LOL

Core idea here is the concept of regress and Aquinas invokes God in order to terminate it. He makes the entirely unwarranted assumption that God in not subject to regress himself. So here we have the need to terminate the infinite regress process, we create a creture of infinite power and call it "God" and therefore we have an answer to our Phycics questions.
But why not go to the direction of a "big bang" end to the regression or, if not satisfactory, continue research until another theory gives answer to this question.
By claiming that something called "God" is the termination in Aquinas regression, is to put it mildly "unhelpfull".

In the past religion wanted us to believe that earth was flat and in the center of the universe and if a scientist said otherwise s/he would be percecuted or burned on a stick. So allow be to disbelieve when any religion tries to give answers to scientific questions.

"Priests of the different religious sects... dread the advantage of science as witches do the approach of daylight, and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subdivision of the duperies on which they live"
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Yiannis - 17-Jun-2007 at 06:17
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 18:43

And, as of late, there has been a movement for atheocracys. Leaning to either extreme is wrong. But you act as if Theocracy is the only wrong way to go, or at least that it is the worst way to go. I am simply saying that the source of morals is religion. Americas founding morals are for the most part the same as (and founded on) the Bible. Thus, when the bible ceased to exist in schools, parents had to work much harder to get morals embeded into their childrens heads. Many parents didnt, and so, it began to grow, and now the country is rotting from the inside out.

The thing about stoning: disrespect of ones father was a very serious thing back then. It is common nowdays, but it still should be serious in my opinion.What I think its reffering to is continued disrespect, not a one time mess up. I beleive it means "disrespectful." Back then, people did not think of going around the intent with legal language. If a father wanted to kill his son that bad...

When I said people know there is a God, I was refering specifically to the similar paragraph in my first post. Like people in ugahnda; a good deal of them know that there is a god.

The idea that all scientists agree on evolution is not true. The same answers in genisis you quoted is made up of actual SCIENTISTS (masters, Ph.D's, everything) who beleive that evolution is false, and that the bible is true. There was a scientific convention some time ago (I cant remember where of when) and three atheist chinese scientists came. They were talking about evolution, and the three chinese scientists said that they had looked over the facts, and said that evolution did not work. They were laughed at and called "creationists". In fact, the idea that every scientist is an evolutionist is folly. every secular scientis is an evolutionist. Any anti-evolution scientists are disregaurded as creationists, and creationsts are not considered scientists by the media, and by secular scientists, so therefore, we come up with "almost all scientists are evolutionists".
Also. disregaurding anything outside of science as foolish (which all your posts have hinted at with words such as "superstition" and "magic" and "ghouls and goblins") is foolish itself. Quite simply, in order for the universe to exist, there must be god, or some thing to which certain rules dont or cant apply. The big bang, unless it created the laws of physics with it (unlikely), can not be this thing. The bible puts it out there,because god is outside of time, thus the idea of "forever" doesnt apply.You may throw some short taunt at me if you like (such as: "Science is studying the natural world not spooks and goblins") just shows that you are not aproaching the topic in a logical, open minded manner, and no ammount of arguing will get you to change your position. At best, you may get some other closed minded people, unrational people to say laugh. If those things are your intentions, then go right ahead, otherwise, please leave these things out of this discussion, for your own sake, and ours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>