Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkey as an EU candidate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
io999 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey as an EU candidate
    Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 13:26
What do you think about it?
As a neighbor of Turkey I'd say it's positive, in the way that we'll have more modernized neighbors. Of course only when their economy, social liberty, etc conform with the EU rules. I'm not the one who will judge this level. EU govs can do it better.
I'm just wondering what will happen if they accept Turkey, considering it's population  which will be soon greater than any other EU country. Will French and German (most powerfull EU countries) accept such a situation? Turkey will have more votes than them!!!
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 17:26
I'm thinking you just stop this right now. Every topic like this gets locked and shut down. But i say NO good for E.U.

Edited by Christscrusader
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 17:40
Meh, i'll leave it open, but if it turns into another 'Islam sucks thread' or the like it goes.
Arrrgh!!"
io999 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 18:00
I don't want to start a flame, but to analyze from EU-power-countries' view, what does it mean for them to let Turkey enter the EU. I don't think religion is problem. Governments just want to optimize their economy, have good relations with (or even better control) countries with "black gold", etc.
I would say positives for Turkey is it's strategic location for Middle East, many immigrants in EU (that won't be satisfied if EU denies Turkey) and of course the influence from USA (Bush has openly backed Turkey's effort to join EU).
As negatives I would say the loss of power of old EU members (as Turkey has the greatest population) and the fact that geographicaly belongs more to Asia.

Edited by io999
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 18:09
I'd say: Turkey should be allowed to enter the EU, but not yet. I don't have fundemental objections against Turkey joining the EU. IMO it's a western country (perhaps a middel eastern as well, but that doesn't matter). I don't care that the country is islamic. The European Union isn't based on religion, and I don't think there's an unbridgable (sp?) gap between islam and christianity. Furthermore if Turkey doesn't join the EU it might fall 'between the shore and the ship', because it's not a real part of the Middle East either.
I don't think Turkey should be allowed to join the EU yet. Turkey has still some work to do on human rights, positition of minorities, and recognizition of the Armenian genocide. Furthermore it would be useful if the Cyprus problem is solved as well before Turkey enters the EU.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 18:11
I don't think the old EU would lose much power, but they would have to share it more (already an issue with the 10 new members). Population wise Turkey is still behind Germany, but is forecast to have a similar pop in 20 years or so.
Arrrgh!!"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 19:57

I think the decision's already been forced by Russia.

THe EU is currently pumping 10's of billions into oil wells in the Black Sea. The Black Sea has more oil than all Middle Eastern countries combined and will give Europe a supply of oil outside both the Middle East and OPEC that will last nearly a century.

Russia was insensed by Europe moving in on what it saw as it's territory and refused to let Europe run the pipeline through Russia. So instead it had to go a more hazardous route through Georgia and Turkey.

It will begin pumping in Jun 2005 and eventually 1/4 of the total supply of oil in the world will come along this pipe and later more pipes to be added. It will also end the current oil crisis and lower the price of petrol helping all world economies, not just the EU. With this kind of money at stake, the EU will fasttrack both Georgia and Turkey to ensure the safety of the pipeline in two very unstable countries.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 20:16
THe EU is currently pumping 10's of billions into oil wells in the Black Sea. The Black Sea has more oil than all Middle Eastern countries combined and will give Europe a supply of oil outside both the Middle East and OPEC that will last nearly a century.

Eh?
Saudi Arabia has by far the largest oil reserves of any country, no other comes close (either in or outside of the middle east). And i think you are talking about the Caspian sea
Arrrgh!!"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 23:06

Yes it was the Caspian Sea, my mistake.

I checked Saudi's and Iran's reserves . Currently the Caspian Sea sits 2nd above Iran and below Saudi, but by only 20%. Not exactly by far the largest and pretty close.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 23:25
Originally posted by Cywr

Eh?
Saudi Arabia has by far the largest oil reserves of any country, no other comes close (either in or outside of the middle east). And i think you are talking about the Caspian sea

I thought that Canada and Siberia had the largers untapped petroleum and nautral gas reserves?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 23:39
I thought that Canada and Siberia had the largers untapped petroleum and nautral gas reserves?

Nope, Siberia is for natural gas, but thats it. Untapped, or not, it all comes under proven reserves.

Paul, Caspian basin reserves are shared by like 4 countries or so.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 09:01
No possible EU country coasts (is that a word?) the Caspian sea.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 14:51

Hey,why do you talk about Saudi Arabia,Caspian Sea,Canada etc.?

Turkey has a large potential of economy,Turkey has the 7th strongest army of the world,Turkey is a Meditterenean country.

U.S domination in here can be broken....

EU is better than them

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 15:13

Well, it believe that Turkey's admitition would be a good thing for the EU, I think that Turkey needs to fulfill some criteria in order to acquire acceptance.

First, it is primarily Muslim, but the country is very secularized as well as westernized. Although, there are countries liek Poland who want the EU consititution to restrict Muslim influence. However, then again Albania is 70% and in addition to the reasons I just metioned there are 20 million muslims in Europe, including 5 million on France.

Second, it is very undemocratic. They still lock up political prisoners and I don't think they vote in fair elections. Perhaps someone could let me know. They also need to reform the judicial system to meet EU requirements.

Third, economically I think they are backwards. Turkey will need to craete a western-style economy where goods flow easily. That means building a greater infrastructure.

Lastly, Turkey is still very much U.S. dominated but I think their willingness to meet EU standards will demonstrate that they are prepared to leave the U.S. behind and become European.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 15:20

I found this article in the Economist website that relates to Turkey's possible admition to the EU. Check it out. 

http://www.economist.com/agenda/displayStory.cfm?story_id=35 02423

It appears that the biggest barrier to Turkish admittion is the countries refusal to recognize the government of Cyprus.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 19:45
I reckon Turkey is keeping the Cyprus issue as a trump card, after all, the EU has been very awkward with Turkey, so why can;t Turkey return the gesture.
Arrrgh!!"
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 01:25
In the long run it will make no difference. Instead of 'Eurabia', Europe will be known as 'Eurkey'.
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 11:26
If the EU agrees to take Turkey to the EU, they are being more hippocrit than the USA. I think Turkey shouldn't be allowed to be let in the EU, not while they are treating their ethnic minorities so cruelly. If they change that, then I say yes. 
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 05:05

not while they are treating their ethnic minorities so cruelly

can you give any examples?

Turkey and the Ottoman Empire was always tolerant against ethnic minorities.The reason they bring forward these problems is :they want to control Turkey's internal affairs.

For example:Kurdish terrorist leader Abdullah Ocalan killed 30.000 Turkish people,his guerillas killed civilians,babies and soldiers in Eastern Turkey his organization harmed Turkish economy very much;the militarical expenses against Kurdish terrorists held 800 billion dollars for Turkey.Finally he was captured and sent to the prison.

But now he lives in prison on an island middle of the Marmara Sea,he will not be executed and he is living in the best comforts....

BECAUSE OF EUROPE!

then a man named Oliver Stone makes film named Midnight Express.....

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 08:31

yes and no

yes      for Turkey's economy

no       for Turkey's identity and culture ( which i think some turkish dont care about it any  more)

anyway Europe knows what is good for Europe  and if it is good to add Turkey they will do

after they edit and review some rules and regulations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>