Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christian treatment throughout the world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christian treatment throughout the world
    Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 19:09
Interesting topic regarding Christian persecutions and treatment. You dont always know what you can trust and what you cant trust but some of the statements Ive read here Ive also read at many other sources. Such as the situation in China where Christianity is fround upon up to and including limitations but nevertheless is still growing.

Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 00:18
Yes, it is interesting how quite often people don't realize that the Christian faith is the one most hated in modern day -- not just among modern liberals, but also in many totalitarian countries and Muslim countries where non-government-sanctioned faiths or non-Muslim faiths are not tolerated. 
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 00:28
I think a lot of the times a lot of naive countries view Christianity with the west or to be more specific, the US. For instance Vietnam, they view Christianity as a threat to their national security. Of course Vietnam is communist. 
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 00:44
With regards to China, yes I do find it astonishing that Christianity continues to grow in spite of government difficulties. Perhaps many people seek a new ideology in their lives now that they can see how little their government actually sticks with its explicit ideology.

Regarding Vietnam, the issue is as historical as it is political. Christianity is seen by many Vietnamese as a leftover from the French colonial days, in which many of the collaborating Vietnamese took up Christianity to cement their allegiance to the French. As the imperialists and their allies lost the struggle, the Christian population in Vietnam is now naturally vulnerable to a government and public which looks at them as a pack of traitors.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 03:05
Originally posted by arch.buff

I think a lot of the times a lot of naive countries view Christianity with the west or to be more specific, the US. For instance Vietnam, they view Christianity as a threat to their national security. Of course Vietnam is communist. 

You surely can't blame Non-European societies for being suspicious of Christianity.
During the eras of colonisation it was either the Christan misisonaries that were the first wave of European intruders, or the notion of bringing Christianity to the "poor heathens" was used as an apologetic veil for far more profane ambitions, e.g. economic exploitation.
The incredible arrogance and tactlessness with which Christian Churches attempted and succeeded to destroy century old fabrics of societies outside of Europe, must have left a foul taste for all things Christian there.
I'm not sure if the Catholic has finally abandoned its formerly declared aim to spread the good word into every last corner of the globe, but I know of many an Evangelical Church, usually based in the US, that still pursues missionary efforts in many Non-European/North-American countries with the same religious zeal and cultural imperialism that were the trademark of all former Christian missionaries.
Up to a certain degree, I can understand some countries difficulties to find the right balance between allowing religious tolerance on one side and a weariness of a new wave of Christian missions on the other.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 04:23
Yes, not all, but some descendents of people who where abused by Christianity are weary of it, and rightfully so.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 09:53

I think a lot of the times a lot of naive countries view Christianity with the west or to be more specific, the US.  

I find calling some countries "naive" quite insulting. As both Kom and Hellios point out, there are certainly good reasons for some people to associate Christianity with either European colonialism and American imperialism. Those people are not simply "naive". They've just learned their lesson.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 18:50
Originally posted by flyingzone

I think a lot of the times a lot of naive countries view Christianity with the west or to be more specific, the US.  

I find calling some countries "naive" quite insulting. As both Kom and Hellios point out, there are certainly good reasons for some people to associate Christianity with either European colonialism and American imperialism. Those people are not simply "naive". They've just learned their lesson.

I certainly dont mean to insult anyone or any country. So if I did, I apologize. I can also agree with some persecutions coming from the Christian side as well, heck look at the conquistadors. But of course some of the things they and other "Christian" peoples have done certainly go against Christian doctrine. The reason I called Vietnam "naive", which maybe wasnt the best wording, was because they gave examples of Vietnam actually not wanting Christianity in their country because of previous wars that so called "Christian" countries have waged with them. Ok, for me this is a lil naive. Why would you persecute a certain people because of religious beliefs and even go as far as to say that its a threat to national security. A persons belief? Is it really possible for a Christian movement to crumble the fabric of Vietnam? Are they possibly worried that Christianity and communism cant co-exist?
Also Id like to point out that I also agree with all the previous posts about the church having its play on some of histories not so positive human rights examples. Again something that would most certainly go against Christian doctrine.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 22:06
I'm not sure if the Catholic has finally abandoned its formerly declared aim to spread the good word into every last corner of the globe

Komnenos you can't be very ecumenical if your not "world-wide".
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 22:17
Originally posted by Komnenos

You surely can't blame Non-European societies for being suspicious of Christianity.
During the eras of colonisation it was either the Christan misisonaries that were the first wave of European intruders, or the notion of bringing Christianity to the "poor heathens" was used as an apologetic veil for far more profane ambitions, e.g. economic exploitation.
The incredible arrogance and tactlessness with which Christian Churches attempted and succeeded to destroy century old fabrics of societies outside of Europe, must have left a foul taste for all things Christian there.
I'm not sure if the Catholic has finally abandoned its formerly declared aim to spread the good word into every last corner of the globe, but I know of many an Evangelical Church, usually based in the US, that still pursues missionary efforts in many Non-European/North-American countries with the same religious zeal and cultural imperialism that were the trademark of all former Christian missionaries.
Up to a certain degree, I can understand some countries difficulties to find the right balance between allowing religious tolerance on one side and a weariness of a new wave of Christian missions on the other.

You misestimate them. Undoubtedly there were some who just used religious connections for exploitation, but there were many others who did not. Just look, for an example, at William Carey, who had more problems with the British East India Company fearing he would disrupt their monopoly or perhaps make a little less of an excuse for them to dominate the locals if they were Christians, than with the natives themselves!

Also, in general here we are not talking about persecution of missionaries, but rather the persecution of native Christians.

In Yemen and many other Middle Eastern countries, a Muslim can be executed for accepting baptism.

In China, if your church is not state-sanctioned, the pastors will be arrested and held in prison indefinitely without trial.

In many countries, people of the local religion (most commonly Islam, but it happens with others) will harass the Christians, and the government will look the other way. Indonesia is an example.

Even in Japan, which some hold up as an Asian paragon of Western tolerance, your children will be harassed in school if they fail to say a prayer in school to the Emperor who they are told to hold up as a god. I have friends there. I know this.

This is a small portion of the persecution of the Christian faith that goes on in this world today. Most people don't know the half nor the quarter of it.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 05:28

Why would you persecute a certain people because of religious beliefs and even go as far as to say that its a threat to national security.
Is this not exactly what the west is trying to do to Islam? 

Are they possibly worried that Christianity and communism cant co-exist?
They can't. Communism is anti-reliogious. It does not mix with anything that suggests there is a higher power than itself. Christianity is based on the idea of a higher power which is the only being to whom christians have to be loyal. That is a threat to a totalitarian form of state.

Originally posted by Timotheus

In many countries, people of the local religion (most commonly Islam, but it happens with others) will harass the Christians, and the government will look the other way. Indonesia is an example.
And in many countries, christians are returning the favour to other religions. I am sorry for those who are prosecuted for their faith, but I do not see why this would be worse for christians than for others.
Even in Japan, which some hold up as an Asian paragon of Western tolerance, your children will be harassed in school if they fail to say a prayer in school to the Emperor who they are told to hold up as a god. I have friends there. I know this.
And in the US, kids in highschool have to swear loyalty to the flag of the US each morning. How is this less disturbing?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 05:31

Took the words, albeit a little more eloquently, right out of my mouth.
QueenCleopatra View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote QueenCleopatra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 08:42

I suppose Mother Teresa was just trying make money for herself in India then?

You know its not just Christians who have committed Christian acts. The Muslim extermists( and I mean no offence to those here of the Muslim faith) are responsible to numerous acts of terrorism in particular September 11th as they persue what they call Jihad or Holy War. They treat their women like dirt, forcing them to hide away behind those dreadful Burhkas and even going so far as to murder them when they go against their faith.

I don't deny that Christianity has committed many horrible deeds over the centuries but its not fair to suggest they are the only religion to do so. I can't understand why people see the faith as the Big Bad Wolf of religion when many are far worse. I am not anti any religion but I think its important to see the bigger picture.
Her Royal Highness , lady of the Two Lands, High Priestess of Thebes, Beloved of Isis , Cleopatra , Oueen of the Nile
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:26
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Why would you persecute a certain people because of religious beliefs and even go as far as to say that its a threat to national security.
Is this not exactly what the west is trying to do to Islam? 

I can see your point but would have to disagree. The West is going after specific groups and although there might be an increase in suspision of Islam, Muslims are still able to worship freely in the West without fear of persecution, the same can't be said for some of the countries listed in the report.

Are they possibly worried that Christianity and communism cant co-exist?
They can't. Communism is anti-reliogious. It does not mix with anything that suggests there is a higher power than itself. Christianity is based on the idea of a higher power which is the only being to whom christians have to be loyal. That is a threat to a totalitarian form of state.

Although communism is an atheist ideology and although its true that in Christianity you uphold the law of God above all earthly laws, the Christain faith does encourage you to be subserviant to your authorities even if you disagree with it. In a sense, Christains might be easier to control than for instance atheists under a communist system.

And in many countries, christians are returning the favour to other religions. I am sorry for those who are prosecuted for their faith, but I do not see why this would be worse for christians than for others.

In which Christain-majority country do you get stoned for converting to another religion? Or fear physical attack for practicing another religion in public? I don't think you thought this through enough.

And in the US, kids in highschool have to swear loyalty to the flag of the US each morning. How is this less disturbing?

Swearing alegiance to a flag is disturbing, I agree Big smile, but it is most definately not the same thing as offering prayers to the flagWink

Edited by Eondt - 18-Oct-2006 at 09:28
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:48

Fair enough. Satisfying answers. Smile But...

I can see your point but would have to disagree. The West is going after specific groups and although there might be an increase in suspision of Islam, Muslims are still able to worship freely in the West without fear of persecution, the same can't be said for some of the countries listed in the report.
True, to some degree. Altough the fact that in the last three years about five mosques and three muslim primary schools over here were put on fire is suggesting this is changing. Ok it was done by racists and fanatics, but then, the people attacking christians in other countries are not the well-educated liberal minded ones either, are they?

Although communism is an atheist ideology and although its true that in Christianity you uphold the law of God above all earthly laws, the Christain faith does encourage you to be subserviant to your authorities even if you disagree with it. In a sense, Christains might be easier to control than for instance atheists under a communist system.
I disagree, I think people with real faith are bound to stand up to governments whose ideas are so fundamentally disagreeing to their own. Besides, it offers people a mental retreat and ideological alternative. Communist paradise on earth is in no way as attractive as paradise for eternity in heaven.

In which Christain-majority country do you get stoned for converting to another religion? Or fear physical attack for practicing another religion in public? I don't think you thought this through enough.
No, stoning does not happen. Nor are there more than a very few muslim countries where this happens. It is not fair to judge all by a few bad examples... And this christian tolerance is shiny new and wafer thin at best. It is still unproven as far a I'm concerned.

Swearing alegiance to a flag is disturbing, I agree Big smile, but it is most definately not the same thing as offering prayers to the flagWink
Well yeah, I see your point, but look at it from the other side. In both cases it is about honoring the state, after all the Emperor is as much a personification of State as the Flag. And personally I have less problems with prayers  I dont believe in than with oaths I dont believe in.
I have had to say the Our Father in primary school three times a day for eight years without believing in it... When I come into a beautiful church on holiday I light a candle for my gran at the Maria-altar. Not because I believe, but because she did. If I'm ask to pray with others, I will, not because I believe, but because others do. If their belief is stong, my prayers will count for them, surely.
But swearing an oath? Now that is a big deal...Shocked

Edited by Aelfgifu - 18-Oct-2006 at 09:54

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 09:59
Originally posted by queenCleo

I don't deny that Christianity has committed many horrible deeds over the centuries but its not fair to suggest they are the only religion to do so. I can't understand why people see the faith as the Big Bad Wolf of religion when many are far worse. I am not anti any religion but I think its important to see the bigger picture.

The bigger picture does involve accepting all religions as equal, so stating that some are 'far worse' is not very big pic is it? They all have their good and bad sides, exept fot the Thuggies perhaps...Wink

Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 10:25
Good answers and I agree with all of them except for a few minor personal beliefs.

However when thinking about replies to your comments, the following one made me think:
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

No, stoning does not happen. Nor are there more than a very few muslim countries where this happens. It is not fair to judge all by a few bad examples 

I agree that it's an example of a few rotten apples spoiling the basket, however I still believe that if there was a similar report drawn up for countries where Islam is persecuted, you would really struggle to get a list of the same length. I can only think of a few countries which would be listed because of clashes between Christians and Muslims (like Nigeria), i.e. the persecution is from both sides.

Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 12:35
Christianity at its heart is anti-communist, that's why they hate it so much.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 12:59
As far as I know Marxism in its core is anti-religion. Will be hard to imagine any religion to enjoy rigid communism. But communism is has various applications as much as capitalism. Most countries fall in the middle of the spectrum.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 13:01

Yes, it is interesting how quite often people don't realize that the Christian faith is the one most hated in modern day -- not just among modern liberals, but also in many totalitarian countries and Muslim countries where non-government-sanctioned faiths or non-Muslim faiths are not tolerated.

Timotheus,

You made an incorrect statement. Modern liberals don't hate Christianity. Many of us are Christians ourselves, and many of us became liberals through our reading of the gospels.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>