Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Jena-Auerstadt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Jena-Auerstadt
    Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 14:11
at a time ,when the old-europe din't had trouble with it's former colonies in north america, the maraud hordes of the ottoman were forgotten and the french , english , austrians ,prussians  and other had enough time to thrash themselves.

The twin battles of Jena and Auerstedt (older name: Auerstdt) were fought on October 14, 1806 on the plateau west of the river Saale in today's Germany, between the forces of Napoleon I of France and Frederick William III of Prussia. The decisive defeat suffered by the Prussian army resulted in Prussia's elimination from the anti-French coalition up until the liberation war of 1813.

Both armies were split into separate parts: Napoleon's main force at Jena consisted of Soult's IV Corps, Lannes' V Corps, Ney's VI Corps, Augereau's VII Corps, and the cavalry of Murat, about 96,000 men in total. Further north, in the vicinity of Auerstedt, was Bernadotte's I Corps (20,000 strong) and Davout's III Corps (27,000). Opposing them, the Prussian king had three forces: 55,000 men under the Duke of Brunswick, 38,000 under Prince Hohenlohe, and 15,000 under General von Ruchel.

Gudin's troops were on the move from Nauburg before 6:30am. By 7 am the 1st Chasseurs were stopped cold in their tracks outside of Poppel by Prussian cavalry and artillery. There was a heavy fog that had lifted just as they approached the village. Once Davout became aware of the Prussian force he ordered Gudin to deploy his force at Hassenhausen.

The present Prussian commander on the field was Schmettau and his division was actually under orders to proceed down the very road that Davout was on to block his advance in the Kosen Pass. While his troops were deploying to attack Hassenhausen, Blucher arrived with his cavalry and deployed on his left. Together they attacked Gudin's troops and pushed them back to the village.

Wartensleben arrived at 8:30am with Brunswick who ordered his infantry to the left flank and his cavalry to the right. The rest of the French cavalry arrived at 9 am and was placed on Gudin's left. Friant and the 12pr artillery arrived at 9:30am and moved in squares on Gudin's right. The advance of the French squares forced Blucher's cavalry back. Seeing no other option available he ordered his cavalry to attack. At this very moment two of Wartensleben's regiments attacked Hassenhausen.

Everything failed, three cavalry regiments were routed and the infantry fell back. At this critical point, Brunswick needed to take drastic action. Shortly before 10 am he ordered a full assault on Hassenhausen. By 10 am Brunswick was carried from the field mortally wounded along with Schmettau who was also badly wounded. With the loss of these two commanders the Prussian command broke down. The Prussian army was in danger of collapse.

Blcher's infantry and the Prince of Orange arrived about 10:30am and the King made his only decision of the day, to split Orange's command in two, half to each flank. On the French side Morand's Division arrived and was sent to secure Gudin's left. Davout could now see that the Prussians were wavering so at 11 am he ordered his infantry to counter attack. By noon Schmettau's center was broken and forced back over the Lissbach Stream, Blucher's cavalry was blown and Wartensleben was trying to reposition his troops. The Prussians realized all was now lost and the King ordered a withdrawal.

Napoleon initially did not believe that Davout's single Corps had defeated the Prussian main body unaided, and responded to the first report by saying "Tell your Marshal he is seeing double". As matters became clearer, however, the Emperor was unstinting in his praise. Bernadotte was severely censured and came within an ace of being dismissed on the spot despite being within earshot of Auerstedt and within marching distance of Jena, he ignored his orders and did not fire a shot in either battle. Davout was made Duke of Auerstedt. Soult, the hero of Jena, was not so honoured, possibly because Napoleon judged it best for reasons of prestige to keep the glory for himself.

On the Prussian side, Brunswick had been mortally wounded at Auerstedt, and over the next few days the remaining forces were unable to mount any serious resistance to Murat's ruthless cavalry pursuit. Davout led his exhausted III Corps into Berlin on October 25th. Hohenlohe's force surrendered on October 28th, Blucher's on November 7th. Isolated Prussian resistance remained, but Napoleon's primary foe was now Russia, and the Battle of Eylau awaited.

The battle proved most influential in demonstrating the need for liberal reforms in what was then still a very much feudal Prussian state and army. Important Prussian reformers like Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Clausewitz served at the battle. Their reforms, together with civilian reforms instituted over the following years, began Prussia's transformation into a modern state, which would take the forefront in expelling France from Germany and eventually assume a leading role on the continent.

The German philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, who was then a professor at the University of Jena, is said to have completed his chef d'oeuvre, the Phenomenology of Spirit, while the battle raged. Hegel considered this battle to be "the end of the history", in terms of evolution of human societies towards what we would call the "liberal democracy". More on that in Francis Fukuyama's book: The End of History and the Last Man.

Today, every year thousands of participants of many nations are re-enact this battle in uniforms based on the original ones.

As you can see , a total defeat can be a good begin of a reformation.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 14-Oct-2006 at 14:13

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 16:08
I understand that you have taken the liberty of copying an entire text from Wikipedia, without any extensive support by your own claims.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 19:10
rider, the bloodhound of ae, i'm glad to know that someone makes thoughts about my claims. pooh, i already thought , no one would care about.

but you a right, rider, next time i try to draw my own maps , perhaps i will take a pic of the protagonists and will try to manage , that the development of an event will follow my crystal-clear minds.

but let's talk about tomorrow, i'm sure your mum called you to go bed already.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 14-Oct-2006 at 19:22

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 05:53
No, she didn't.

I am not referring to the pictures, just that copying texts from Wiki is not what this Forum is meant for.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 06:28
ok, rider , you've got me!
for all others, please don't read the text above about the 200 annivesary celebration of the battle of jena-auerstedt. please , for more informations see wikipedia , divers history books , tv- documentions and some more sources.
sorry, i didn't participate at that battle, so i am depent on quotes of eye witnesses and those who wrote about.
but be sure, at the battle of estonia, which will take place very soon, i will be at front row and will make an authentic report.
and with a big kowtow to my baltic friend , i will say goodbye, see you in the south east asia department.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 15-Oct-2006 at 12:54

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 11:07
Battle of Estonia? Never heard of such.

And I didn't tell you that you are to be blamed for not participating there, but for copying a text from Wikipedia.

All except your first paragraph, is copied from Wiki, although not in the same lineup. Take a look if you don't know it: Battle of Jena-Auerstadt at Wiki
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 00:13
I don't see the problem as long as you give sources(if necessary) for the posted information.

Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 01:55
Ok, guys , it's enough. my official appologize, will start today it's way around this planet and will not stop before the last hillbilly had noticed it. the only exception will be estonia, cause it was devasted yesterday by an unknown horde out of the west.

Excuse: This post was totaly copied from Wikipedia, except the first and the last two lines. I'd thought that i could bluff rider and the rest of the honorable members of the AE Forum.I was far wrong. In my endless simplicity i didn't count on the criminalistic flair of rider and some other detectives.
Here, and you all are my witnesses, i will give  the promise, i will not do this anymore until the next  time.

Your suppliantly Ulrich von Hutten

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 20-Oct-2006 at 01:56

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 10:48
Ulrich, I will warn you for disturbing the mental piece of AE Members, if you continue on like this.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 01:27
Originally posted by rider

Ulrich, I will warn you for disturbing the mental piece of AE Members, if you continue on like this.

Rider, I think this is the begining of a beautiful friendship.Btw, what kind of mental pieces do you mean?

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 03:17
I admit this is very funny threadBig smile.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 04:54
Yes, it is Smile
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 12:38
pretty funny, but honestly rider you gotta relax.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 16:15
Mental peace... I wanted to say, sorry about that one, I really don't know how I made such a mistake.

[Sidenote: Do you know that when I wrote 'mental peace' now the first time in this post, I started of with 'metal peace'...]

Originally posted by PdL

honestly rider you gotta relax.

Do you think it is normal that one user gets away with everything he or she wants (on the case of UvH, it is 'it' ofcourse..).

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 19:31
are you upset rider because you cannot get away with anything? im just making an observation

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 21-Oct-2006 at 19:41
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 04:54
No, I am upset because of such [look the quote] stupidity disturbing the relative peace on this board!

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Ok, guys , it's enough. my official appologize, will start today it's way around this planet and will not stop before the last hillbilly had noticed it. the only exception will be estonia, cause it was devasted yesterday by an unknown horde out of the west.

Excuse: This post was totaly copied from Wikipedia, except the first and the last two lines. I'd thought that i could bluff rider and the rest of the honorable members of the AE Forum.I was far wrong. In my endless simplicity i didn't count on the criminalistic flair of rider and some other detectives.
Here, and you all are my witnesses, i will give  the promise, i will not do this anymore until the next  time.

Your suppliantly Ulrich von Hutten
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 13:53
anyway, here, rider you can learn much about the real life, e.g. politics.
 You can blow up a second-rate theme with many hot air. Keep it warm , and everyone feels obiged to put one's oer in. After a while nobody cares about it any longer and you can make your final shoot.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 22-Oct-2006 at 14:03

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 14:04
Note: You really can't speak English, it is 'much hot air', not 'many hot air'.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 14:36
Originally posted by rider

Note: You really can't speak English, it is 'much hot air', not 'many hot air'.

that's not a big news, mr. mental pieces !!!

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 15:29
kinda funny a 40 year old fighting with a 15 year old kid. you 'BOTH' gotta relax right now lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>