Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Philosopher Kings"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Philosopher Kings"
    Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 13:31
Hellios
Yes, most monarchs had a good education & privileged background, but (in terms of philosophy) that's not the same thing as personal tutoring by the Aristotle-Plato-Socrates lineage. In terms of philosophy, that's something quite extraordinary.

True but the teachers of a later age were knowledgable of the famous Greek philosophers aswell as other world philosophers. However, their education must have had some impact on him somewhere along the line.

Hellios
Most conquerors destroyed cities, but not all of them built as many as he did. Try to look at the big picture.

I think its safe to say he destroyed more or at least as many cities as he built

Hellios
You must have some political or favoritistic issues to be saying that his interest in cultures & sense of philosophy were the same as Attila the Hun and Genghis Khan. All Ive been trying to say is that he wasnt as un-philosophical as you portrayed him in your earlier post.

Genghiz Khan had the secret history of the Mogols written, was an expert in millitary philosophies being bought up in a millitaristic environment.

However, ultimately they were "Warrior Kings". Not all philosopher kings are great rulers and not all warrior kings are great leaders.

Each category has its greats, I wasn't trying to be derrogative about "Alexander the Great", he's one of the greatest "warrior kings".
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 13:32
Originally posted by gcle2003

Philosophers can be idiots too.

Agreed.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 14:18

Originally posted by Bulldog

True but the teachers of a later age were knowledgable of the famous Greek philosophers as well as other world philosophers. However, their education must have had some impact on him somewhere along the line.

Thanks for agreeing.  Yes, what philosopher wouldn't want to have been personally tutored by the Aristotle-Plato-Socrates lineage?

I think its safe to say he destroyed more or at least as many cities as he built.

He's known for being a destroyer of cities just as much as he's known for being a builder of cities.  This might be a case of how one looks at the cup that is 'half full' or 'half empty'.

Genghiz Khan had the secret history of the Mogols written, was an expert in millitary philosophies being bought up in a millitaristic environment. However, ultimately they were "Warrior Kings". Not all philosopher kings are great rulers and not all warrior kings are great leaders. Each category has its greats, I wasn't trying to be derrogative about "Alexander the Great", he's one of the greatest "warrior kings".

If you prefer to call him a "warrior king", go ahead, but most people will think that you're under the impression that fighting is the only thing he was good at.  I've accepted that he was a product of both; his father's military excellence, and his philosopher educators.  The latter was surely going to be more evident today if he hadn't died so soon, because it's quite logical that in his old age he would've started to write more & fight less.  The philosophical writings would surely have been something comparable to his philosopher educators', with the added elements of his experiences as a great conqueror.

Edited by Hellios - 13-Oct-2006 at 14:36
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 15:30
We could debate about what "might" and "might not have" happened but unfortunately can only go on what we have.

Which is that Alexander the Great is known for fighting and not philosophy.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 15:41

We could debate about what "might" and "might not have" happened but unfortunately can only go on what we have.

Which is that Alexander the Great is known for fighting and not philosophy.

It's not a 'might or might not'.  It's going on what we have, which is that he wasn't known for fighting only.  If you still feel like pursuing it, open another thread called "Is fighting the only thing Alexander is known for?" and you'll see the results, my friend.

Anyhow, sorry for jousting with you on somebody else's thread dude.

Edited by Hellios - 13-Oct-2006 at 19:54
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 13:46
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Komnenos

Julian the Apostate, who had immense philosophical pretensions, but was more of a caricature of a Hellenic thinker.

I disagree totally with you Big smile

Yeah, I know, we have discussed that before. But as it is your birthday today, I'm not gonna argue with you!
Happy Birthday, you old heathen!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12