Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish Writer Orhan Pamuk wins Nobel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Writer Orhan Pamuk wins Nobel
    Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 12:45
Pamuk, 54, has gained a reputation for tackling controversial issues through his novels and has faced legal action in his homeland.

Awarded by the Swedish Academy, the Literature Prize comes with a cheque for 10m kronor (740,000).

The Academy said: "In the quest for the melancholic soul of his native city, (Pamuk) has discovered new symbols for the clash and interlacing of cultures."

It added: "Pamuk has said that growing up, he experienced a shift from a traditional Ottoman family environment to a more Western-oriented lifestyle.

"He wrote about this in his first published novel, a family chronicle... which in the spirit of Thomas Mann follows the development of a family over three generations."

He has faced prosecution for talking about the murder of hundreds of thousands of Armenians in Turkey during World War I and thousands of Kurds in subsequent years.

Under a 2005 law it is illegal for anyone to insult Turks, the republic or Turkish Grand National Assembly

source

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 13:57
Not a good day for the official Turkey.
Not only Orhan Pamuk has received the Literature Nobelprize, but also has the French parliament passed a law that makes it a crime denying the "Armenian genocide " in France.

At least they won their EC qualifying match yesterday.

Edited by Komnenos - 12-Oct-2006 at 14:01
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 14:49
The study of history in France takes a back seat to politics.The French parliament passes the denial law which now gets passed onto the upper House.

In Turkey the arguement over Artcile 301, which preserves Turkey's right to describe it's own vision of Turkishness, has been debated by members of Turkey's government. Amending or droping this article would be in her best interest. Will this movement have a chance now that France's latest move further isolates Turks? Who knows. Maybe Turkey could learn a lesson from France's fascist position. Afterall, Nicholas Sarkozy called Erdogan and tried to bargain with him before the midnight hour in order to block the bill if Turkey changes its penal code and opens its borders with Armenia.

Brussels and Ankara condemn French law on Armenia genocide
12.10.2006 - 15:50 CET | By Honor Mahony
EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - The European Commission has condemned a French parliament vote in support of a law criminalising denial that Armenians suffered genocide by the Ottoman Turks, saying the move is likely to hinder open dialogue on Armenia in would-be EU member state Turkey.

"Should this law indeed enter into force, it would prohibit the debate and the dialogue which is necessary for reconciliation," said a commission spokeswoman after Paris' National Assembly vote on Thursday (12 October) afternoon.

"It is not up to the law to write history, but in order to write history, historians need to be able to conduct an open debate," she added. http://euobserver.com/9/22630?rss_rk=1

Fickle politics. Vive la Revolutione!

p.s. - Pamuk's books are worthwhile reading. Go football!

Edited by Seko - 12-Oct-2006 at 14:50
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 15:32
ah to sad, now we will have more people like Pamuk.

I prefer to lost qualifying match
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 15:35

That's actually good news.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 15:38
Congatulations to Orhan Pamuk. The first time a nobel prize in literature goes to a turkish author. Pamuk, born on June 7, 1952 in Istanbul, a critically spirit, who wrote mostly historical novels, is well known as an intermediary between occident and orient.I think it was an excellent choice of the swedish nobel committee.

i myself read "the white castle" of 1985 as a german translation.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 12-Oct-2006 at 15:45

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 15:59
     Wow, congratulations to Orham Pamuk. I'm glad he won. Now his battle for free speech in Turkey can be recognized. In regards to this new law in France....

NO!! If anything, this new law in France is a step back for anyone who wants to find out the truth about what happened during WWI! It doesn't matter which side they take, what matters is they are stooping down to Turkey's level in regards to free discussion. Just because Turkish nationalist politicians act like official censors in regards to this issue, doesn't mean France has to emulate them in order to get positive results Unhappy

Originally posted by Seko

In Turkey the arguement over Artcile 301, which preserves Turkey's right to describe it's own vision of Turkishness, has been debated by members of Turkey's government. Amending or droping this article would be in her best interest. Will this movement have a chance now that France's latest move further isolates Turks? Who knows. Maybe Turkey could learn a lesson from France's fascist position. Afterall, Nicholas Sarkozy called Erdogan and tried to bargain with him before the midnight hour in order to block the bill if Turkey changes its penal code and opens its borders with Armenia.

The issue with Turkey's closed borders with Armenia are not only because of the genocide issue, but because of Karabakh. I agree with you though, French politicians are acting like fascists by doing this. Section 301 of Turkey's penal code is also a fascistic law, and it happens to be the main charge brought against Orham Pamuk.

If France wants to isolate Turkey, then this isn't the way to do it. The vast majority of international public opinion and historians already agree that what happened was a genocide, and by leaving debate wide open, it ensures that most people's opinions will be pro-genocide. Whether or not others want to spread misinformation is irrelevent, since they had the freedom to do it thus far, and nothing has changed. You don't win moral battles by putting yourself in the same boat as the fascists you condemn Thumbs Down

However, for Turkey to condemn this action by France is laughable. While they condemn France for censorship, they simultaneously support censorship of the same issue in their own country. In fact, they have been supporting censorship of this issue since their republic was established (which is why most of the political action about the genocide is conducted by the Armenian diaspora).
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:00

That's actually good news.

If reason was his writings, It is good news. Unfortunately It has not much relation with his novels.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:04
Originally posted by Komnenos

Not only Orhan Pamuk has received the Literature Nobelprize, but also has the French parliament passed a law that makes it a crime denying the "Armenian genocide " in France.

Actually it is not that bad.

That Orhan Pamuk has become the first Turke ever to win the Nobel Prize is wonderful news,

And the fact that the French parliament has decided to enshrine a historic falsification into law is not as bad for official Turkey, as it is for the French people whose basic liberty and freedom of speech have been trampled upon for the sake of short term political gains.

All members of AE from France must be aware that they may face persecution, fines and jail terms if they freely express an opinion on that well know black listed topic, which does not agree with the French lawmakers version of history.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:13
He's an interesting author. His novel "Cevdet Bey and His Sons" tells the history of a family through the last century of Turkey. Though not famous as others, it's the best novel him for me.

His most complex novel is "The Black Book". It's full of mystic symbolism, history, depressive life of intellectuals, etc. Apart from politics, his post-modern style and his position between Orient and Occident is the most attractive aspect of him for the Nobel jury I think.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:30
In my opinion the work that  help Ohran Pamuk to win Nobel prize is the Istanbul book.He  guides us through Istanbuls monuments and lost paradises, the  Ottoman villas, back streets and waterways.He introduces the writers, artists, columnists and mad popular historians who have tracked Istanbul through one hundred and fifty years of city modernisation as the commentators said...
......from Constantinople to Istanbul.Smile Great book and very popular in Greece.Thumbs Up 

Edited by akritas - 12-Oct-2006 at 16:34
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 17:26
Yes, a good choice I believe, even though I haven't read any of his books. It demonstrates the distance between intellectuals and the Turkish government.

As for France making it illegal to deny the Armenian genocide, I hardly think this is meant as an attack on liberty, rather the other way around, those who propogate the opposite view are not exactly best friends with liberal politics. Freedom of speech is counterproductive if it is used to the advantage of those who would have no freedom of speech.
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 20:19
Originally posted by Reginmund

Yes, a good choice I believe, even though I haven't read any of his books. It demonstrates the distance between intellectuals and the Turkish government.

As for France making it illegal to deny the Armenian genocide, I hardly think this is meant as an attack on liberty, rather the other way around, those who propogate the opposite view are not exactly best friends with liberal politics. Freedom of speech is counterproductive if it is used to the advantage of those who would have no freedom of speech.

LOL

were you drunk when you wrote that? LOL
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 22:56

İts great  Thumbs Up

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 06:57
Waow... (sarcasm))some of the members who complain about The Turkish nationalism on AE welcomed the winning of Nobel by Orhan Pamuk, a Turkish author much more than The Turks here (/sarcasm)

Persionally I dont care..I am not a nationalist, so i can't  find any reason to celebrate his winning. My favourite author is Eckhart Tolle.

Edited by TheDiplomat - 13-Oct-2006 at 06:59
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 09:02

Alfred Nobel must be rolling in his grave. He wanted his prize the dispaly the best bout mankind, and now the above award is based on politics, which is very definatly not mankinds proudest occupation.

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 09:41
Originally posted by bg_turk

Originally posted by Komnenos

Actually it is not that bad. That Orhan Pamuk has become the first Turke ever to win the Nobel Prize is wonderful news, And the fact that the French parliament has decided to enshrine a historic falsification into law is not as bad for official Turkey, as it is for the French people whose basic liberty and freedom of speech have been trampled upon for the sake of short term political gains. All members of AE from France must be aware that they may face persecution, fines and jail terms if they freely express an opinion on that well know black listed topic, which does not agree with the French lawmakers version of history.

I suppose that in Turkey you can express freely your opinion lets say for Cyprus or Armenians genocide, massacre call it as you wish.

I think it is bad period for Turkey. This writter is very well known about his beliefs.
Is the first time that someone from Turkey wins a nobel prize?
ps. R you a politician or youstudy politics? I really like your answer on the topic. It was quite interesting. I really like it.

Edited by perikles - 13-Oct-2006 at 09:42
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote bleda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 11:21
orhan pamuk is only writer not historians
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 11:53
Parmuk, i think his support base comes from that fact many of us see him as representing the free mind and the potential for a new generation that arent tied down to a set way of thinking or history. I havent read his novels but im sure i will, more so for that east meets west dynamic.

Its a pity not all turks are as excited,  (i would be even as a nationalist) being good at the arts is just as much an achievement than being big and strong.

on a side note:  i also agree with seko, i also think the french desicion isnt helpful. Article 301 has to go, but that is a internal desicion that will be made when the people are sick of it. imitating it by making up something that does the opposite in the same way (illegal to deny rather than to say) would actaully harden the support around 301.

Edited by Leonidas - 13-Oct-2006 at 11:59
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 12:00
I am never drunk, and I never have been, to those who may wonder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>