Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reasons U.S. doesn't speak multiple languages...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasons U.S. doesn't speak multiple languages...
    Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 20:36
i am tempted to believe that if more americans were multilingual, our foreign policy would drastically change.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:03
I don't think that that would be true. Regardless of if Americans were multi-lingual foreign policy would be the same because the same people with the same ideas would still be in power.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:27
I was thinking about this today.  I think if anything American culture would creep more into Latin american culture.  For example look at Quebec.  Most Quebecois today are ultra-americanized and in polls many have said that they don't consider themselves different from Americans.  Whereas back in the day when they were persecuted they felt no connection at all to North American Anglo culture and were very isolated culturally.  I think this just shows that integration and rights makes people identify much more with the culture that is "being generous" to them.

This is why I think it's stupid that (anglo)Americans always fight against Spanish-language rights, even from their own perspective.  Would they rather have a large and alienated minority, just so that they can continue to feel "superior" ?--or an intergrated minority that speaks a different language but has the same basic culture?

Edited by Dan Carkner - 29-Dec-2006 at 23:21
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:36
Interesting. By chances are you Quebecois, Dan? Personally I think that Spainish should be taught in all US Public Schools starting in kindergarten. I think this would make better for businesses and for those who come to this country from Spanish speaking nations it would allow for quicker acceptance into American culture.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:42
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Most Quebecois today are ultra-americanized and in polls the vast majority have said that they don't consider themselves different from Americans.

What!? Wink

Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 23:29
Originally posted by Hellios

Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Most Quebecois today are ultra-americanized and in polls the vast majority have said that they don't consider themselves different from Americans.

What!? Wink

Haha, having looked it up I modify what I said:  44% of Quebecois in 1998 didn't consider themselves different than people who lived in the United States.  This is from p.28 of Le Qubec, Otage de ses Allis by Anne Legar, which I was reading recently.  She got it from a GRAM survey, published in Le Devoir, Sept. 11 1998.  She even claims that "a large majority of Quebecois see their country [Canada?] as an extension (prolongement) of the United States, rather than as a political space that sets out interests that could be distinct from those of the biggest power in the world.."

BTW, I'm not from Quebec, I'm from Eastern Ontario about an hour from the border..

Edited by Dan Carkner - 29-Dec-2006 at 23:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12