Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monarchies of the World!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarchies of the World!
    Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 12:50
The purpose of this thread is to list all the monarhies in todays world. This can include monarchies that are figure heads of their country, where they don't have much actual power, or countries where the monarchy still has all the power.

Also, feel free to comment on your views about monarchies and their role in the modern world!

Personally, I love them monarchies, and wish to see them restored to their former glory!

Off the top of my head, these are countries with monarchies, either absolute or figure head:

UK
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Spain
Saudi Arabia
Oman-?
United Arab Emeriates
Qatar
Jordan
Yemen-?
Sultanate of Brunai I(sp?)
Nepal
Thailand

There are probably several more I'm forgetting, but please feel free to comment and add to the list!

Long Live the King! (Or Queen!)

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 13:32
The Netherlands
Belgium

The queen of England is queen over Australia (and Canada??) as well, so perhaps these count too.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:06
Look around in old threads: we've had the exact same conversation a few months ago.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 15:41
jemen is a republic, I can Add Kuwait, Bahrein and all the emirates are little emirdoms so you can't say that the UAE has a monarchy more that;  Ajman, Fujariah, Ras al Khaymah, Umm al Quwain, Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi are monarchies ;) Oman is also a Sultanate, Marocco is a monarchy,,,, 
Iran parast
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 15:47
Japan? Brunei, Greece(?)
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 04:13
Don't know if this matters, but Portugal, although being a Republic, has a a King, a Royal Family, and a whole hierarchy of nobility recognized by almost half of the country's population. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 05:50
Luxembourg, certainly. Liechtenstein and Monaco, too.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 06:18
Originally posted by gcle2003

Luxembourg, certainly. Liechtenstein and Monaco, too.

They have heritary heads of state and noble families ruling, but they are not strictly speaking monarchies, are they? Luxembourg is a Dutchy, and the first Grimaldi of Monaco was a 'raubritter'...Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 06:22
Grand Duchies and Principalities are monarchies too.

And technically speaking Vatican City as well.

Furthermore there are Tonga, Swaziland, Bhutan, Malaysia and Wallis & Futuna.
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 06:22
Many countries has a royal family but is a Republic like Greece, Bulgaria, Afganistan, Iraq, Italy, etc...
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 16:08
Iran had a monarchy for 2500 years untill 27 years ago... Pahlavi (always in my heart)
Iran parast
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 07:44
Originally posted by Barbarroja

Many countries has a royal family but is a Republic like Greece

The first dynasty of Hellas was that of the Bavarian King Otto in 1832.The second dynasty that lasted until the dictatorship of 1967-74 was that of the Danish King George Glyxburg (i do not remember how it is written) who was officially announced as King of Hellas  in 1864. Both dynasties were foreign and both dynasties were imposed to Hellas by the Great Forces of that time (British Empire,Russian Empire,Germany,France etc ). In other words Hellas had a King,but not now.He was kicked off after the collapse of the dictatorial goverment in 1974 ,with a public referendum.He is just a European without Hellenic passport or nationality.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
 Post Reply Post Reply