Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite ancient relgion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What is your favourite ancient religon and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [25.49%]
4 [7.84%]
3 [5.88%]
8 [15.69%]
7 [13.73%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.80%]
10 [19.61%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite ancient relgion
    Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 07:56
Originally posted by Achilles

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

How many of these faiths survive to this day in some form or the other. Just curious.

Norse mythology/religion survives in the form of Asatru (Norse heathanism, the old way, Odins way, etc..). Some people put Asatru in the same category as Neo-paganism and Wicca, but as a follower of Asatru i feel differently

Good. What is its philosophy ?
BTW Asatru means Friend in Our languages.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 08:00
Isn't Hinduism the oldest & most peaceful organized religion?

Edited by Hellios - 13-Oct-2006 at 08:04
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 09:29
Basicaly Vivek We beleive in the Norse Gods, Odin, Thor, Tyr, Hoder, Njord, Baldur, etc.... Also that Ragnorok(the final battle between the gods and Loki, his children and the giants, where all will be destroyed excpet for 2 of Odins son's, 2 of Thor's sons, and 2 humans) will come after Loki causes Baldur to throw the Mistletoe dart at Baldur, thus killing him. I also belive in Valhalla(Odin's hall where the worthy dead will feast and train for Ragnorok), Asgard(land of the gods), Niflheim(land of the dead). Jotunheim(land of the giants), and afew other worlds

If you would like any more information, just ask.
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 23:03
Another Heathen/ Asatruar here.

satr (which goes by many different names) is basically an ancestral folk religion. We're big on honoring ones Germanic ancestors, following what is called the Nine Noble Virtues and being tr to our gods/goddesses but there is so much more to it. Many Heathens are also very big on historical fact.

A good place that will answer the basic questions about Heathenry & Asatru can be found in this FAQ.

or

Edited by Friggsdottir - 27-Oct-2006 at 23:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 23:23
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by Vikingrage

Norse for sure. The Havamal is filled with great advice and the message it sends from the stories of its Mythology is great. Its also Warriors religion. Fight all day and Drink all night.

Yeah, but there is not much in it for women, is there? I see no fun in spending eternity filling the cups of drunken louts with mead, and I cont sing so the Walkure job is out of the question. Tongue

Oh yes there is, we have plenty of goddesses to get to know, learn spae work & read books like:

Women were important in Germanic & Norse society, it would probably be a good topic to study just for Women's History Studies.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 23:34

I love Native American religion, particularly the variety of the Mapuche people of Chile. The Natives of the Americas have a very interesting cosmology on which everyone was the child of Mother Earth. The idea is that all beings are born from Mother earth, live on mother Earth womb and when they died they go back again to the Mother.

People in this world should care about their mother: the Earth (today called the Planet)

The universe is though like a space of six directions (north, east, south, west, up, down) marked from the direction of sunrise and the earth surface.  In the following shaman's drum there is a drawing that represent the cosmos.

There is something very special and trascendent in the Native American religions that attract people when they get into it.

In the old world I love Celtic and Siberian traditions.

Mapuches like Siberians use the drum to induce trance. And like Celts, Mapuches have a sacred tree called the Canelo.

Pinguin

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 08:05
Norse paganism? What's that? We can't say. The situation with the primary sources here is so ambiguous you can hardly base a religious conviction on it. What we "know" has been handed handed down to us through sources written down by Christian authors hundreds of years after the Christianisation, based on oral traditions and perhaps partly the authors' imagination, then transcripted for hundreds of years, changing a bit from one manuscript to the next, to what is today the modern translations of these. It's quite a journey, think there's anything left of Old Norse religion by the end of it? There might be, but no scholars today claim we can reconstruct the entire religious corpus, the most critical of them claim we have salvaged some scraps at best.

This might offend some of those Neo-Paganists who believe in this with the best intentions, but to me saying you're a Neo-Paganists just tells me you've never heard the word "source criticism" or read a scholarly work on the pagan Norse religion.

I've seen many Neo-Paganists entering my Uni, studying Old Norse religion, but not a single one who finished his/her studies and still called himself/herself a Neo-Paganist afterwards.

Edited by Reginmund - 28-Oct-2006 at 08:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 08:16
Originally posted by Reginmund

Norse paganism? What's that? We can't say. The situation with the primary sources here is so ambiguous you can hardly base a religious conviction on it. What we "know" has been handed handed down to us through sources written down by Christian authors hundreds of years after the Christianisation, based on oral traditions and perhaps partly the authors' imagination, then transcripted for hundreds of years, changing a bit from one manuscript to the next, to what is today the modern translations of these. It's quite a journey, think there's anything left of Old Norse religion by the end of it? There might be, but no scholars today claim we can reconstruct the entire religious corpus, the most critical of them claim we have salvaged some scraps at best.

This might offend some of those Neo-Paganists who believe in this with the best intentions, but to me saying you're a Neo-Paganists just tells me you've never heard the word "source criticism" or read a scholarly work on the pagan Norse religion.

I've seen many Neo-Paganists entering my Uni, studying Old Norse religion, but not a single one who finished his/her studies and still called himself/herself a Neo-Paganist afterwards.

Imagination has anything to do with it.

paganism is very well documented not only in the Norse but in the Celts as well, to the point theirs believes can be reconstructed with a good degree of precision. Besides, the believes of the Norse have many things in common with the shaman cultures worldwide. The anthropological research and comparative studies can give you a clear picture of what the ancient people believed and why they acted like they did.

The idea that somehow paganism was erased and nothing remain it is false. There are lots of things that remain in mythology, common culture, written records, and even in the local christian traditions. It is just a matter of looking for them.

Pinguin

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:00
And what works do you base this claim on? I hope this is not just your intuitive reasoning speaking.

I have studied this topic for over three years at my Uni, I have read many of the primary sources and the secondary literature treating them, in addition to this I regularly meet with the leading scholars in the field and I wouldn't expect a single one of them to agree with what you just wrote, not even the most positivist ones. Yes, Old Norse paganism is well documented, very well documented, that's not the issue, the issue is to what extent we can rely on these documents. Look up "source criticism", it's the first thing you learn when studying Old Norse religion on university level.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:22
What do you mean? You don't agree on something which is documented?
The study of shamanism is the key to undestand ancient religions, and Norse culture can be understand in that context.

Now, people tends to criticize the sources, because some very hard facts usually appear on there, like human sacrifices, for instance. But you should not be surprise of that at all. Almost all religions have passed through the phase of human sacrifices. And Norse were known to practise some very cruel forms of torture and ritual killings.

I don't know what are the things you doubt about the documentations. If you are specific we can talk about it.

What I know is that when one compare Norse paganism with other forms of paganisms in the Americas and Siberia a clear picture appear, because the believe of some peoples have parallels in others.

Now, the revisionist attitude of many scholars suffered a blow recently in the study of the Amerindian cultures. Somehow certain people where claiming the Aztec sacrifices were an invention of the Spaniards. You know? All that "politically correct" revision of old sources that now is in fashion. Well, just a short time ago archaeologist found the bodies of 500 people of Cortes expeditions that were sacrified and eaten by the Aztecs.

Not all was writen by the old guys is false at all.

Pinguin

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 09:37
The theory that the study of shamanistic religions is the key to understanding Old Norse religion is just one disputed theory among many, it certainly doesn't make any clear picture appear.

And no, we don't dismiss any source because the content might be brutal to our eyes, at least we don't do that here, it would be ridiculous.

Again you apply the Latin American situation to the one in Europa and elsewhere, no matter how badly it fits. If I attempted to prove anything about Old Norse paganism by referring to Aztec practices I'd be given some raised eyebrows to say the least. I'm afraid you're the very epitome of a naive positivist.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:54

Dear Rigmund,

I have been called several things in my life but a "naive positivist" is the most funny ever LOL

No, I don't believe the systems of believes were equal. First, Native American religious believes depended on each ethnic group, and there were thousands of different people in the Americas, each with its own language, culture, tradition and the standard of living varied from neolithical to sophisticated civilizations. No much in common, except similar believes on Mother Nature.

And, second, I know Norse people, at least during the Middle Ages, had a living standard and tech that were not much different from the rest of Europe, except for the fact they lived of trading with foreigners, besides piracy and war.

What I mean is Norse religion has many things in common with the "naturalistic" sets of believes of ancient people. And also things in common with Celts and the Greeks, and with all the ancient myths of the Indoeuropean peoples.

All I said is ancient religions where closer to the earth, the cycles of nature and the natural forces. From Nature you got Thor, the hammer or representation of thunder (I believe), which between Greeks was represented by Zeus. I hope you get the idea,

Pinguin

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 21:00
I'll go for aboriginial religion too, but its not really ancient I suppose. Mainly because its neo-agnosticism with a few supersitians added. No bother, no fuss, just look after the land. Land is important

How ancient is ancient?

Originally posted by Hellios

Isn't Hinduism the oldest & most peaceful organized religion?

peaceful? Organised?!?!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 21:20
What?!

What do you mean "aboriginal religion" is not ancient?

If you are talking about the systems of believes of different Native American cultures, they are VERY ancient indeed. Take a look at the ideas of the Chavin culture of Peru, for instance; you can read the Popol Vuh, or take a look to Mayan cosmology. In several countries of the Americas one can find evidences of the same ideas going on for a thousand or many thousand of years ago.

Now, the discovery of theirs systems of believes by Westerners is recent, and also the association they have now with the New Age and the ecologism. Grew Owl is recent, but the system of believes of Native Americans is very old.

Pinguin
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 04:48
What do you mean "aboriginal religion" is not ancient?

Well its still practiced in many aboriginal communities in Australia. The remote areas were never christianized, and the more colonised regions have often still managed to retain some of their traditions. There are places in Australia where europeans didn't reach until the 1960's. They teach the basics of the religion to students in Primary School - at least they did 10 years ago.

On top of that colonization only started 200 years ago, so even in areas where the aboriginal religions have been lost (or the aborigines were wiped out), I don't think you can call it ancient.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:01
Hmmm...is something ancient because it started a long time ago or because it died out a long time ago?

I can swing either way on that one.

Originally posted by pinguin

What do you mean? You don't agree on something which is documented?

That something is documented doesn't mean it's factual. Documents can be incorrect, either deliberately or accidentally.

Anyway, picking up just one point, what's shamanistic about the old Norse religion?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:03
Omar, is your current signature a serious question, or is it some kind of koan?

It it's literal, it's easily answered. Water is sometimes lighter than air.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 09:10
Originally posted by gcle2003

Anyway, picking up just one point, what's shamanistic about the old Norse religion?

The rituals.

Shamanism can be considered in some ways as the "mother of all religions". Basic to it is the concept of the "other world" which can be reached by mean of the medium or "shaman". They idea of a parallel world populated by Gods or entities come from shamanism, and also the techniques to control those Gods, one of which is the offerings, including human sacrifices. Even the instutution of the shaman, the sorcerer or the priest came all from the same sources.

If you compare a bunch of ancient religions you'll see the common pattern. And you'll also see that modern religions are more sofisticated and abstract ways to understand shamanism.

Pinguin

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 17:57
Omar, is your current signature a serious question, or is it some kind of koan?

It it's literal, it's easily answered. Water is sometimes lighter than air.

LOL No, its not a serious question. Its making fun of the drought. There was a quote similar to it in 'the Last Continent', I can't remember it exactly
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 08:21

What I mean is Norse religion has many things in common with the "naturalistic" sets of believes of ancient people. And also things in common with Celts and the Greeks, and with all the ancient myths of the Indoeuropean peoples.

Yes, I can follow you on this one, I do believe the key to understanding the various Indoeuropean religions is to see them in a common context.

All I said is ancient religions where closer to the earth, the cycles of nature and the natural forces. From Nature you got Thor, the hammer or representation of thunder (I believe), which between Greeks was represented by Zeus. I hope you get the idea,

Yes, it does seem we are dealing with a naturalistic religion where rites that further fertility, both in the form of harvests and human reproduction, are most important. There is another aspect too; that of war, and pagan Norse religion seems a bit dual in this way. On one hand there is the fertility cult aspect, on the other the emphasis on warrior virtues, which has led some historians to believe that this latter set of beliefs in martial values was imposed on the old fertility cult connected with the growth of a new warrior aristocracy.   

Edited by Reginmund - 30-Oct-2006 at 08:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>