Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The myth called "Race"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The myth called "Race"
    Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 03:18

Originally posted by think

GCLE
Human beings differ from one another on a large number of criteria. Choosing which criteria to select as 'important' is a totally subjective matter. Why skull shape should be considered as 'important' leaves me totally baffled. Why not foot shape? Or arm length? Or
height? Or relative ability at sprints, distance running, jumping and throwing things?

When you talk to someone are you talking to their foot.

Agreed. But you also aren't talking to the back of their head either.
I accept that visible things, in a primitve society, are going to take precedence - you can't use blood type as a racial designator if you don't know there are blood types. Yet blood type is a very important factor in distinguishing between human beings.

But anyway sprinting ability is just as visible a factor as skin colour. And feet are just as visible as heads.

(I admit I was being rhetorical about foot shape, which seem to me just as stupid a criterion as head shape.)

I accept that human beings can be clustered into what you can call 'races' or 'ethnic groups' or 'families' or whatever. It's the idea that any particular set of characteristics are particularly important in mapping them, or any particular clustering technique or distance measure is the 'best' for doing so, that leaves reality far behind.

Why are you baffled,
the face is the first thing we notice aswell as phenotypes so when we
talk about race we dont talk about arms or jumping.Arms are relatively the same anyway.

Actually there's probably more difference between arms than between faces.

Thats like saying when talking about breeds of dogs why dont we talk about their feet

We do. One of the things we don't talk about though is skin colour. Breeds of dogs can be classified hierarchically in various ways in the same way as human beings can, and, again, that classification is carried out in different ways for different purposes.

Predisposal to be vicious is for instance an important characteristic for some purposes, whereas length of hair may be more important for others. Similarly classifying people according to their criminal behaviour would seem a much more useful thing to do than classifying them by colour. Or head shape.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 04:21
My oppinion:

Is my personal oppinion that the differences between races are superficial and not very important from the rational point of view. However, they call the attention of people because they are noticeable.

And I do believe racism is based more in the rejection of the aspect of the other than anything else. Is an aesthetical discrimination, rather than anything else.

Deep inside racism the idea is: "is you don't look like me, you are not like me". That's the fallacy.

Look at animals. There are birds of the same species that have different colors of feathers, and they discriminate between them because the color of those feathers!!! That's the same with humans, that use the external phenotypical differences as a marker of identity and belonging

Omar

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 04:36
I totally agree gcle.
I'm 6'6" - taller than 90% of other humans - why cant I and the remaining 10% have our own race?
Is it because our eyes are not the same color - or because we dont have pointy ears?

We are all offsprings from the same ancestors - one line - one race - the human race.
Everything else is a construct - made up for various reasons through the centuries, mostly negative - and in the worst variation, to create hate  or antipathy towards others because of color or appearance.  Censored

~ Northman

"He was so proud that he could count Ghengis Khan amongst his ancestors. But you know what? - I can count Ghengis Khan very fast" - Piet Hein
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2006 at 19:55
Originally posted by Northman

We are all offsprings from the same ancestors - one line - one race - the human race.
Everything else is a construct - made up for various reasons through the centuries, mostly negative - and in the worst variation, to create hate  or antipathy towards others because of color or appearance.  Censored

Sure its all wonderful to say were all human etc etc, but being "human" is no bonus because as "humans" we are able to hate, love, kill, cheat etc etc.
I just think that the were all human holds no truth in real life when were destructive creatures.

Its ok for "WHITE" people to go about how race doesnt exist because we were the top dogs, what do we know about racism Confused Sometimes i think that people are trying to make up for the past by pretending that race is nothing more than something that the evil imperial powers conjured up to make legit their treatment of the more backward races.
The only people who rave on an on about Race is nothing more than a social contruct brewed up by racist imperial powers are White people, generally speaking.

I went to school with people of other races an was quite friendly with some of them, but because i have someone as a friend who looks different doesnt mean i believe race doesnt exist. Some would think that if you think race/ethnicities exist your on par Hitler or the KKK..

Racism is NEVER going away, thats the bitter truth. So i dont see the point of people with their holier than thou attitudes pretending that racism is only reserved for rednecks out in the sticks. Come on people words arent going erase our differences over night, damn religion has its factions an GOD is a spirit. Superficial or not, its not going anywhere so I dont see the point of acting oblivious Confused

Edited by think - 09-Dec-2006 at 20:04
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 02:56
The only people who rave on an on about Race is nothing more than a social contruct brewed up by racist imperial powers are White people, generally speaking.

The only people who rave on about the supreme importance of racial differences in all matters, are white people, generaly speaking. Half of black people in the UK have white partners, they obviously don't think its that big a deal. And thats despite being on the recieving end of racist bullsh*t.

Racism is NEVER going away, thats the bitter truth.

Well yeah, so long as people like you exist, its gonna stay here.
Arrrgh!!"
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 03:19
The only people who rave on about the supreme importance of racial differences in all matters, are white people, generaly speaking. Half of black people in the UK have white partners, they obviously don't think its that big a deal. And thats despite being on the recieving end of racist bullsh*t

So Whites are the only ones who have an opinion on race matters, yeh im with ya Wink

Edited by think - 10-Dec-2006 at 03:30
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 03:26
Way to miss the point. Though not suprising i guess.

Arrrgh!!"
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 03:37
Originally posted by Cywr

Way to miss the point. Though not suprising i guess.

I didnt miss the point its just whats the point of debating with you.

Your entrenched in your own views that anything else is just "dumb"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 03:44
I don't see many black kids measuring their skulls to prove how black they are, seems to be a big hobby on certain forums frequented by white kids though.
When it comes to race from a biological perspective, its overwelmingly whites who are most obsessed with it, from skin colour to penis envy.
Non-whites on the other hand are overwleming more concerned with the social conseciences of living in socieities dominated by those same biology obsessed whites.
Thats the difference, which, if you had anywher near as many non-white friends as you claimed above, you'd realise.

Edited by Cywr - 10-Dec-2006 at 03:46
Arrrgh!!"
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 04:01

I don't see many black kids measuring their skulls to prove how black they are, seems to be a big hobby on certain forums frequented by white kids though.
When it comes to race from a biological perspective, its overwelmingly whites who are most obsessed with it, from skin colour to penis envy.
Non-whites on the other hand are overwleming more concerned with the social conseciences of living in socieities dominated by those same biology obsessed whites.
Thats the difference, which, if you had anywher near as many non-white friends as you claimed above, you'd realise.

How many Black kids are even interested in Anthropology..
You think Whites are obsessed with race on the internet LOL have a look around WHITES are discussed everywhere an other races are always comparing themselves too us. Asiafinest.com/forum, heres a site thats obsessed with Whites.
Look at indian forums they are always debating races an the different phenotypes that are with their country.
Or Blacks are always complaining that the White man is keeping them down or how Blacks are more attracted to the lighter skinned Mullatos rather than the Black skinned African.

My Non White friends an I dont even discuss race. yet im sure yours tell you how racist Whites are Sleepy

Biology obsessed Whites you say. Man i dont what too say, your arguments are so anti-white that if you werent White you would be classified as racist..

Dont bother quoting me either Cyrw Smile

Edited by think - 10-Dec-2006 at 04:23
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 04:16
Man i dont what too say, your arguments are so anti-white that if you werent White you would be classified as racist..

LMAO.
That just had to be quoted, for prosperity's sake.
Arrrgh!!"
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 05:20
Originally posted by think

Racism is NEVER going away, thats the bitter truth. So i dont see the point of people with their holier than thou attitudes pretending that racism is only reserved for rednecks out in the sticks. Come on people words arent going erase our differences over night, damn religion has its factions an GOD is a spirit. Superficial or not, its not going anywhere so I dont see the point of acting oblivious Confused

Noone is acting oblivious. But you seem oblivious of the fact that keeping dividing people into races, ethnic groups or similar groups like that - creates differencies and foundation for the "me better than you" attitude, based on nothing but color or shape. 

Noone is pretending anything except for you - you are pretending and suggesting that we all are racists because of our differences. Allow me to inform you, that you are deadly wrong.  
You say racism will never go away. I refuse to believe that.
If we all accepted the fact that we are the same race and stopped talking about races - then the meaning of the term would dissolve itself into thin air.
Yes - we will always have our differences and thats fine. But dont let them be based on differences in color, shape or origin.

It took quite a while before the explorers and scientisits found out that the black creatures they met in Africa were humans and not apes.

It took yet some centuries before most countries realized that the slavery of black people was very wrong.

Three step question...
How long do you think it will take before we stop talking about races?
And how long further do you think it will take before we stop thinking in those terms? 
How long do you think it takes before all humans truely are equal?

" I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal."

I think Dr. Martin Luther King will forgive me for using his word in a universal/global context.
Evidently, they are still valid and good to remember.

~ Northman

Edited by Northman - 10-Dec-2006 at 05:21
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 06:15
yet im sure yours tell you how racist Whites are

No, they do however, point out when certian individuals are racist, both whites and non-whites alike.
And i'm not limiting myself to the internet and small clubs of online whiners for generalisations, thats too easy.

It took quite a while before the explorers and scientisits found out that the black creatures they met in Africa were humans and not apes.

Actualy, they knew that straight away, they just decided to forget it in later centuries.
Arrrgh!!"
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 06:41

Man i dont what too say, your arguments are so anti-white that if you werent White you would be classified as racist..

LMAO.
That just had to be quoted, for prosperity's sake.

Cywr, thanks for quoting that. The quote itself is pretty arrogant. "People who argue that we are just one human race are racist against WHITES!" Suddenly, when somebody is arguing against the white anthropologist ideas of race, they suddenly hate whites? Wow, then I guess they hate "Negroids", "Mongoloids", and "Australoids" too then.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 06:53
People discriminate on all kinds of grounds. I had a black Jamaican woman friend once (platonic), Radcliffe-educated with a Harvard MBA, who wouldn't be seen dead with an American black when she was in college.

She didn't mind dating West Indian blacks or European whites (or Chinese or Indians as far as I know - she certainly had a close Indian woman friend).

Eventually she married a Frenchman and came to live in Paris and London.

I don't think 'race' in the sense of skin colour even entered into her thinking.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 08:31
Noone is acting oblivious. But you seem oblivious of the fact that keeping dividing people into races, ethnic groups or similar groups like that - creates differencies and foundation for the "me better than you" attitude, based on nothing but color or shape

Excuse me but we already do it ourselves. Thats why we have "china towns" an "philipino hoods" an "Arab hoods" an "African neighbourhoods"
Seems like theres something to this, nah couldnt be i mean are these people grouping up into neighbourhoods just as we do Confused

Who said anything about the me better than you approach ? I dont think im better than someone because of their skin colour. I just realise that we are not all the same.

Noone is pretending anything except for you - you are pretending and suggesting that we all are racists because of our differences. Allow me to inform you, that you are deadly wrong.  
You say racism will never go away. I refuse to believe that

I never said we are all racists. We are prejudice though, thats a human trait Shocked Racism is just another form of prejudicism.
What you refuse an what happens are 2 totally different things, what you think it will just dissapear, like it has in Europe. Infact isnt racism on the rise in Europe.

If we all accepted the fact that we are the same race and stopped talking about races - then the meaning of the term would dissolve itself into thin air

I dont think so, what are us race obssesed Whites going to talk about Wink
Things dont just dissapear into thin air.

Yes - we will always have our differences and thats fine. But dont let them be based on differences in color, shape or origin

Dont let them, who says im letting them im not particually a racist guy, i just have my opinions that seem to differ with yours.

It took quite a while before the explorers and scientisits found out that the black creatures they met in Africa were humans and not apes

LOL I didnt know they thought they were apes Confused Thats sad..

Three step question...
How long do you think it will take before we stop talking about races?
And how long further do you think it will take before we stop thinking in those terms? 
How long do you think it takes before all humans truely are equal?

1. When we are indistinguishable from one another
2. As above
3. We thrive on competition, we will never think of everyone as our equal because as Humans we are constantly competing against one another.

Didnt Karl Marx write his book while being "disconnected" from reality..

" I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal."

As nice an hopeful as it sounds i cant really see it being adopted in reality.
Wasnt Luther a Red, look what communism has bought the world.

I respect your views Northie but i just cant agree with them.
I had an arguement with this White Supremicist once, anyway this individual was obviously obsessed with Hitler an must of thought Mein Kampf was the bible.

I could agree with certain points of his, but some of his views an opinions were too extreme for my liking. I dont believe the White race is superior nor do i believe in all the other cling ons Hitlerists hold dear, but i could agree with him on the fact that we are different, we arent the same an hell we prefer our own neighbourhoods with people of similar ethnicity.

An theres the problem, what we prefer goes against the grain of what you believe in.

You an him are polar opposites. ^I hope it makes sense, at the moment im a lil tired^

Edited by think - 10-Dec-2006 at 08:34
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 08:38
delete

Edited by think - 10-Dec-2006 at 08:50
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 08:41
I dont really want to argue, because the argument will go nowhere. So if you quote me i most likely wont reply Smile

Edited by think - 10-Dec-2006 at 08:51
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 11:35
"Wasnt Luther a Red, look what communism has bought the world."

No, Martin Luther King, Jr. was not a communist. The bogus attempt to prove that he was a communist was somewhat of an attempt to associate the Civil Rights Movement with communism. The only reason he was accused of communism was because one of his aids, Stanley Levinson, was a communist. Calling Martin Luther King, Jr. a communist on that basis is like calling Senator Rick Santorum gay because one of his workers was gay.

"but i could agree with him on the fact that we are different, we arent the same an hell we prefer our own neighbourhoods with people of similar ethnicity."

No, that is completely false. As a white, I do not care of what ethnicity my neighbors are, just how they act. Besides a different skin color, and a somewhat different skull, there is no difference between any of the so called "races".  Each of these "races" has shown that they share intelligence, innovation, philosophy, etc.

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 18:47
No, that is completely false. As a white, I do not care of what ethnicity my neighbors are, just how they act. Besides a different skin color, and a somewhat different skull, there is no difference between any of the so called "races".  Each of these "races" has shown that they share intelligence, innovation, philosophy, etc

Yes of course everyone has proven that they can thrive in society. But why is it that most neighbourhoods are generally people of the same ethnicity or race. Its just the way things are an always will be. Why is that such a hard concept to believe ? Hence the reason for China towns an mini Africas etc etc, whered all the White people go who used to live in those neighbourhoods ? Exactly Shocked

Edited by think - 10-Dec-2006 at 18:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>