Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pirates of the Asia Pacific

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pirates of the Asia Pacific
    Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 20:09
Originally posted by Ikki

Ummm Sandokn jeje<:namespace prefix = v ns = "urnchemas-microsoft-com:vml" />HAPE id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" opt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">TROKE joinstyle="miter">TROKE>ATH o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connect="rect">ATH>chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />HAPE>HAPE id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12.75pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" ="#_x0000_t75" alt="">HAPE>>>

No really, i want make use of this post for ask about the Wo Ku attack to Nanking, 1550 more or less. I read that were a very strong invasion along the first 500 km of the Yang Ts? but i can't find anymore in Internet.>>

Well for the personas that don't know the name of any asian piratic, a short information about three. Really, i don't now the name of anymore:>>

Asiatic Pirates attacks to spanish Philippines:>>

-Attack of Chinese Limahong (or Li Ma-hong), november of 1574: It is a very long story, and i write english very slow, so i only say the minimal information. The chinese, with 60 junks (25 very strong) and 4.000 men (or 25.000 in other sources) sack many villages near Manila, and then went to the capital. The Manila's fortress was very poor but 70 spanish and the inhabitants repulsed the first invasion; many importants spanish military died in the battle. Three days then, spanish reinforcement succeed cross the enemy lines and go into Manila. Siokon the japanese subordinate of Limahong (very dreaded by the spanish), was defeated near Manila when he was attacking a village; then Limahong furious took the command of the operations and try to assault Manila by third time, but the spanish won again.>>

Then happen many things but i don't have time. Summarize: the furious pirates leave Manila and seat in Pangasinn. The spanish attack their in August with 250 spanish soldier (and then 50 spanish more), 2.500 christian tagals and 59 ships (prahos and galleons); two battles were fighted, first, the chinese lost 40 junks, three forts, many deads and 500 prisoner. Second, Limahong resist in the last fortress and a chinese embassor went to Philippines. The pirates don't want sourrender and resist with fire weapons, then the spanish started a very strong assault and kill to all chinese; but Limahong escape with a few men. Spanish gave the other 500 chinese prisoner to chinese embassor and this return to China with catholic monks and presents .>>

>>

-Attack of the japanese Tayfusu (or Tay Fusa), 1580: 27 junks and 2.000 men go to Cagayn and build a pirate village. Spanish captain Pedro Carrin with 1 galleon and other 14 ships come from Manila; by the way, they get more reinforcement. The spanish army count 200 spanish soldier and many more christian tagals (1000 perhaps); arrived to Cagayn they build a encampment. >>

Japanese pirates began the battle with a nocturnal attack two hours before dawn. The spanish win this fierce battle, but the reorganized japanese attack again at the morning, Tayfusu command the troops in middle of battle. A horrible battle was fighted, the japanese resist and don't want surrender, all they died in combat, include Tayfusu, and spanish win the battle without enemy prisoner in their hands. Then native (allied with japanese) attack to spanish, but this win a short battle, make a treaty with their and found a new village, Nueva Segovia.>>

>>

bye

Wow! Very very interesting.  There are caves in northern Taiwan of which has carvings of Dutch names and dates in it.  Which dates to 4 or five years after Dutch has been defeated and driven out of Taiwan.  Which raise an interesting question.... who are these Dutch that were still here?  Especially so far away from Southern Taiwan, where their political power was estalbished in.

Some say they are actually part of the Pirates which has normally based in northern Taiwan.

Some say they were the Dutch reenforcements XD

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 16:11

Ummm Sandokn jeje

No really, i want make use of this post for ask about the Wo Ku attack to Nanking, 1550 more or less. I read that were a very strong invasion along the first 500 km of the Yang Ts, but i can't find anymore in Internet.

Well for the personas that don't know the name of any asian piratic, a short information about three. Really, i don't now the name of anymore:

Asiatic Pirates attacks to spanish Philippines:

-Attack of Chinese Limahong (or Li Ma-hong), november of 1574: It is a very long story, and i write english very slow, so i only say the minimal information. The chinese, with 60 junks (25 very strong) and 4.000 men (or 25.000 in other sources) sack many villages near Manila, and then went to the capital. The Manila's fortress was very poor but 70 spanish and the inhabitants repulsed the first invasion; many importants spanish military died in the battle. Three days then, spanish reinforcement succeed cross the enemy lines and go into Manila. Siokon the japanese subordinate of Limahong (very dreaded by the spanish), was defeated near Manila when he was attacking a village; then Limahong furious took the command of the operations and try to assault Manila by third time, but the spanish won again.

Then happen many things but i don't have time. Summarize: the furious pirates leave Manila and seat in Pangasinn. The spanish attack their in August with 250 spanish soldier (and then 50 spanish more), 2.500 christian tagals and 59 ships (prahos and galleons); two battles were fighted, first, the chinese lost 40 junks, three forts, many deads and 500 prisoner. Second, Limahong resist in the last fortress and a chinese embassor went to Philippines. The pirates don't want sourrender and resist with fire weapons, then the spanish started a very strong assault and kill to all chinese; but Limahong escape with a few men. Spanish gave the other 500 chinese prisoner to chinese embassor and this return to China with catholic monks and presents .

-Attack of the japanese Tayfusu (or Tay Fusa), 1580: 27 junks and 2.000 men go to Cagayn and build a pirate village. Spanish captain Pedro Carrin with 1 galleon and other 14 ships come from Manila; by the way, they get more reinforcement. The spanish army count 200 spanish soldier and many more christian tagals (1000 perhaps); arrived to Cagayn they build a encampment.

Japanese pirates began the battle with a nocturnal attack two hours before dawn. The spanish win this fierce battle, but the reorganized japanese attack again at the morning, Tayfusu command the troops in middle of battle. A horrible battle was fighted, the japanese resist and don't want surrender, all they died in combat, include Tayfusu, and spanish win the battle without enemy prisoner in their hands. Then native (allied with japanese) attack to spanish, but this win a short battle, make a treaty with their and found a new village, Nueva Segovia.

bye

Edited by Ikki
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 17:12
yeah that site sucks....i mean, the connection. sometimes it's even slower than AE...
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 17:50

It came back to life !!! actually i couldn't connect to boxup music before, maybe their server was done.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 13:57

sh*t!!! what happened? where did it go?

SABOTAGE!!!  someone sabotaged my sig again???

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 11:50
Originally posted by babyblue

Originally posted by hansioux

yeah those are supposedly chinese migrants who'd been there for generations...

??? So? Why do they lead the pirates instead of people who "actually" lived their for even more generations?  You are missing the point.

i was just making a statement man...what do you mean i'm missing the point?

chill out

babyblue, What happened to your Jay Chou signiture?

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 04:34

the only chinese piracy i can think of at the moment comes in the form of CD and DVDs...

..forgot this thread.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 04:10

Originally posted by AnakAjaib

Actually Chinese who settled in pre-colonial Malaysia don't considered Chinese anymore. Their descendents are called the Peranakans, which basically means 'those born here' in the old malay language.

Their culture and language are very different from Chinese as they had adapted to the local customs and language and established their own identity. So maybe they had been accepted by the locals, and some of them can manage to lead the pirates.

Here's a link about the Malay pirates, specifically about raids they did on American ships which led to American intervention on South-east Asia.

http://www.sabrizain.org/malaya/potomac.htm

Interesting.  However what we were talking about was before the Europeans reached Asia.  In any case, it is interesting to read about the pirates of the east in any era.

In fact the Americans's first over sea military campaign was also an Islamic nation.  But it's in north Africa.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 00:42
Actually Chinese who settled in pre-colonial Malaysia don't considered Chinese anymore. Their descendents are called the Peranakans, which basically means 'those born here' in the old malay language.

Their culture and language are very different from Chinese as they had adapted to the local customs and language and established their own identity. So maybe they had been accepted by the locals, and some of them can manage to lead the pirates.

Here's a link about the Malay pirates, specifically about raids they did on American ships which led to American intervention on South-east Asia.

http://www.sabrizain.org/malaya/potomac.htm
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 09:38

??? So? Why do they lead the pirates instead of people who "actually" lived their for even more generations?  You are missing the point.

i was just making a statement man...what do you mean i'm missing the point?

chill out

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 06:54

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 21:30
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 20:51

hehe, good one.

But if you read Zheng's voyager carefully, you'd see he fight Chinese led pirates in Malaysian waters.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 08:25
     the only chinese piracy i can think of at the moment comes in the form of CD and DVDs...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 00:47

Well the ancient Malays were known as Vikings of the East. Their teritory was the Malay Peninsula, Borneo, South Phillipines and parts of Indonesia. Singapore itself was a pirate hideout before the British came.

Piracy too was an income for the Malay kingdoms. Even when the British told them to stop pirating and establish trade as their main income, one Malay king said something like whatever they do, piracy is part of their lives. Piracy is in their blood.

Got this from a book on piracy in Asia.

Edited by AnakAjaib
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 04:10

The dutch definately will think of him as a pirate.  He probably considered the dutch to be pirates.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 23:50

[QUOTE=snowybeagle][QUOTE=hansioux]

I think Zheng probably was a pirate in Qing's perspective.

I think not the Qing but the Dutch.

The Zheng was an officially appointed Ming commander when he was at war with the Qing.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 23:20
Originally posted by snowybeagle

Pirates are used in novels and movies in Asia all the time.  It's just not a popular culture.

You might have a point there, at least as far as Chinese literature is concerned.

Traditionally, despite its maritime trade, Chinese had some aversion to the waters.  Becoming a sailor was not considered a desirable profession.

Ah, I remembered at least one Chinese pirate, Zhang Bao Zai, from HK TV and movie.

Yes, I think the Wo Kou also left piracy as a very bad taste in the Chinese psyche.

There are few or no historical role models of pirates who left any positive image, not as freedom fighters opposing the governments, unlike Outlaws of the Marsh.

Coxinga was not usually considered as a pirate in Chinese history but as an admiral for the Ming dynasty.

There are many many many usage of pirates in Chinese literiture, tv historic soaps and even more in Chinese PC games.  Though often historically incorrect, and almost always claim the Japanese for everything when most of the time Chinese are the leaders.

Zheng ChengGong might not be considered pirate from Ming's perspective.  But it's not the perspective that's important, it's whether he did do deeds that of pirates.  For example, in England, very few will say those were pirates that led the British fleet to defeat the Spanish.  But they were pirates.  They were pirates ordered to rob from the Spanish and then ordered to protect the island. 

I think Zheng probably was a pirate in Qing's perspective.

Edited by hansioux

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 23:17
Big fan of the pirate age in the caribbean. I always try to pick up the next pirate game. Currently playing Syd Meiers.

A couple of my sailing mates and I are thinking of sailing across the Pacifico within the next couple of years but are worried about the pirates in the east indies. Heard bad stories about them.
Any good links on famous or current asian pirates,please post them?
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 20:41

Pirates are used in novels and movies in Asia all the time.  It's just not a popular culture.

You might have a point there, at least as far as Chinese literature is concerned.

Traditionally, despite its maritime trade, Chinese had some aversion to the waters.  Becoming a sailor was not considered a desirable profession.

Ah, I remembered at least one Chinese pirate, Zhang Bao Zai, from HK TV and movie.

Yes, I think the Wo Kou also left piracy as a very bad taste in the Chinese psyche.

There are few or no historical role models of pirates who left any positive image, not as freedom fighters opposing the governments, unlike Outlaws of the Marsh.

Coxinga was not usually considered as a pirate in Chinese history but as an admiral for the Ming dynasty.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>