Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermopylae movie- "300"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Online Status: Offline
  Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermopylae movie- "300"
    Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 09:56
Can't wait for the fictional movie based on the comical adaptation of Mein Kampf. Stern%20Smile 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:09

The movie was poorly made, badly acted and stank of propagandist toe cheese.  It tried to be like Gladiator but fell miserably short on all counts.  

Here are some other points which compounded the movie's crapness:

- The Scottish Leonidas sounded like he had a speech impedement, to put it mildly.

- Xerxes was a lanky gay Brazilian with a French accent. 

- Leper Sumarais/Ninjas as Immortals.  LOL!

- West African Persian Generals and emisseries.

- Sparta being portrayed as a democratic society with a constitutional monarch.

- Ogres and Rhinos

The movie should have had a disclaimer absolving itself from all reality lest it portray itself as historically accurate, because from experience on this very forum it seems like certain people have been tricked by its lies.

Edited by Zagros - 27-Mar-2007 at 10:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 11:39

Please Zagros, never facts get in the way of a good story!

Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 15:51
I think they should have just changed the names and places, avoiding it being tied to history, and upsetting people. This movie should have had "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" at the beginning. After all, why use "Persia" and "Sparta" if you're not going to portray them accurately? Why not have the "Xan'Athilan Empire" and 300 "Vornizxlas" (those were the best i could come up with Tongue) . The story would have been the same, the movie would have been just as entertaining, and nobody would be offended.

Edited by Xshayathiya - 27-Mar-2007 at 15:52
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 22:11
Originally posted by malizai_

Can't wait for the fictional movie based on the comical adaptation of Mein Kampf. Stern%20Smile 

Unless they made another revolutionary graphics or cool battlescenes... not watching it. Confused

Join us.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 23:16
anybody know a good movie website wer i can download 300 for free with pretty good visuals on it?
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 04:36
Sparta has laws and the Monarch was not for life. Their system was called oligarchy. So what is the problem for that?
Persia was an empire. The Emperor was believed to have holly origin.
The king of Sparta was just a human with honour and many other goods.
I agree that the Persians characters was not good. I mean persians was like beasts.
But my friend Zagros take into consideration that this was a comic based movie, and the director tryed to give Persian a mythological or mysterious atmospaire.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 04:37
Even the acceds was planned.
The Spartans have an english accent (aristocratic)
and the persians has a US accent. More public based.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 07:09
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

anybody know a good movie website wer i can download 300 for free with pretty good visuals on it?

That is what I considered doing so my good money wouldn't go to the nincumpoops who produced this waste of time.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 07:10
Originally posted by perikles

But my friend Zagros take into consideration that this was a comic based movie, and the director tryed to give Persian a mythological or mysterious atmospaire.

I do, but it doesn't mean i should like it, but I think that:

Originally posted by Zagros

The movie should have had a disclaimer absolving itself from all reality lest it portray itself as historically accurate, because from experience on this very forum it seems like certain people have been tricked by its lies.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 13:43
The movie did have a disclaimer saying that it was based on a graphic novel (ie: a comic book). 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:11
Really? I never saw it, was it during the end credits? I left after the last scene, as i always do unless I like the soundtrack.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:46
I thought it was at the beginning, but I don't remember, I saw it a few weeks ago, maybe I'll go see it again to find out for sure! 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:26

Haha, I am sure you won't mind since you seem to have enjoyed it so much! It didn't show it here if it was at the beginning then.  It's definitely a good thing that it did though.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 18:30
Originally posted by Xshayathiya

Originally posted by Adalwolf

I don't see why there wouldn't have been some African troops in Xerxe's army. I mean, didn't Persia rule over 1000 over kingdoms? I would assume some of which would have been in Africa. 
The Persian empire did extend to Ethiopia, and it would not be unlikely that there'd be Africans in the army, but them making up a large portion of the army AND two emissaries would have been unlikely.

Exactly the point I have been making in the 300 threads.

T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 14:36
I said this in the other thread, I will repost it here:

Here is the one problem I have with this whole theory: nobody in America knows that Persia and Iran are one and the same!

Last Friday, I went and randomly questioned some random 15 individuals who had seen this movie. My results were interesting:

7 of the 15 did not know that Thermopylae was a real battle.

Only 4 out of the 7 had any idea where Thermopylae was.

10 out of 15 could not tell you the area in which Persia is today.

15 out of 15 did not know that the Iranians are considered Persians. (Ethnically speaking.)

Here is the big whammy:

15 out of 15 did not take the movie as a serious history project.

In short, no one in America even thought about Iran until they heard about the uproar from the Iranians. To be truthful, most Americans consider Iran a tiny unimportant state that has the eternal goal of causing a crisis here and there so it can gain attention. Nobody, and I mean nobody, would ever associate a great and powerful ancient superpower (Persia) with Iran.

If anything, we would associate the Persians with the United States. Think about it. America is a Hyperpower, Persia was the Hyperpower of the ancient world. America  has been annexing smaller states for no real reason, Persia did the same in the film. The Persians have a God-complex, well so do most Americans. And because we Americans have a problem with our country right now (in fact we Americans have a problem with pretty much everything right now) we would be happy to watch a political charged anti- American movie.

No, this film was the farthest from physiological warfare against the Iranians. In fact, the common perception of Iranians in the West- crazies who are always picking a fight over something -is only being heightened by the continued persecution of this film. 

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 15:40
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Xshayathiya

Originally posted by Adalwolf

I don't see why there wouldn't have been some African troops in Xerxe's army. I mean, didn't Persia rule over 1000 over kingdoms? I would assume some of which would have been in Africa. 
The Persian empire did extend to Ethiopia, and it would not be unlikely that there'd be Africans in the army, but them making up a large portion of the army AND two emissaries would have been unlikely.

Exactly the point I have been making in the 300 threads.

Except for the fact that the Persian military was primarily comprised of Perisans, Medeans and Scythians/Bactrians!  Ethiopian marines are noted, but as navy personnel on board Phoenecian and Carthaginian crewed ships.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 17:20
Nice finds T.Ape, and I agree. I believe I mentioned in one of these threads that Americans wouldn't associate Persians with modern Iranians.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 18:53
Hehe, in an interview ,in greek tv, the actor who plays Leonidas, didn't know that the hot-gatesShocked was a real battleLOL...

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 05:16

So, I did finally see it. I though visually it was absolutely stunning. On the other hand the one-liners were unbelievably bad... I'd say that next to 8 hours of abs training there seems to have been no time left for actinglessons... or learning lines... Not that it really matters... A (female) friend of mine told me she had honestly not noticed there even was a story at all, she was too busy staring at the physique of the actors...TongueLOL

And I do not think the Persians came out worse neccesarily: How am I supposed to take serious a nation (the Spartans) who supposedly go to war dressed in little more than some very dodgy underwear... And a nation, at that, who keep paying lip service to freedom and all that even though their economy was in fact based on slave-labour... Not very nice at all. They did not have my sympathy, that's for sure.

The persians on the other hand were quite cool. AND they are the ones who were tolerant of everyone, including the ones that are not comform the norm. I mean, the Spartans killed babies that were not good enough... how sick is that?
And Xerxes was... well... (giggle)... funny. LOL

Oh, and I would like to add that I think any random watcher must be really really confused to draw a direct parralel between the Persians and the modern Iranians... I mean, come on... it is so obvious bullsh*t... It is a comic for crying out loud...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>