Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermopylae movie- "300"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermopylae movie- "300"
    Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:23
The image http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Xerxes.jpg cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

^This is a presumably accurate recreation of the face of Xerxes. I must say it is quite in contrast to that of the face of Xerxes in the movie(See below)LOL

http://www.icicom.up.pt/blog/take2/santoro_xerxes.jpg

Edited by Knights - 08-Nov-2006 at 05:32
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 05:58

Originally posted by Knights

The image http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Xerxes.jpg cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

^This is a presumably accurate recreation of the face of Xerxes. I must say it is quite in contrast to that of the face of Xerxes in the movie(See below)LOL

Keep in mind the movie is based off in Frank Miller's graphic novel '300', so Xerxes had to look like in the illustrations of the graphic novel.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:14
Yes indeed I am keeping that in mind, I was merely responding to a request by Ildico. 
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 20:32
Xerxes looks way better without the beard.
Penda View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Penda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 12:33
Gerard Butler is a good actor,i dont fear his acting skills ,its the script i fear,`Troy` anyone??
Like was said earlier they arent going to be presented as the Spartans really were(Millitaristic and pro-Homosexual).
A really great story no doubt,but this is Hollywood,The next version of the `charge of the light brigade` will be done in Lamborghini`s
John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 13:29
No doubt if they did a charge of the light bridge they all die very heroically and the last soldier would crawl up and hit the cannon with his sabre and be stabbed by a heartless russki, lol
My peoples tale is written in blood
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2006 at 16:19
Xerxes looks more like an African than a Persian. Absolute bull but i am sure will be entertaining. The racists will love it though.LOL
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 04:22
Originally posted by malizai_

Xerxes looks more like an African than a Persian. Absolute bull but i am sure will be entertaining. The racists will love it though.LOL

Yep ive heard Perisans on the net winging that no one actually depicts Persians as Persians hahahahahaha. Iran is RICH im sure if they want they could make a kickass movie.

I guess i can understand. It would be like an African guy playing William Wallace or napolean or someone of that calibre, its just not cricket.

Penda View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Penda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 10:30
Who are the Orcish looking people/monsters supposed to be on the trailer?
Dont tell me just because its Greek there going to add Ray Harryhausen type monsters ala Jason and the Argonauts????
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 18:06
Looks like it could be pretty good. I don't know if it is worth paying $9-10 though. I'll probably go see it but it will not be as good as the original "300 Spartans" was, although that wasn't based on a comic book and (unfortunately) had not killer rhinos.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 19:33
300 is based on a comic book series, like Blade was.  Even the script follows the comic book:

Some people are confusing it for a history film. LOL

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 01:52

This is a presumably accurate recreation of the face of Xerxes.
I must say it is quite in contrast to that of the face of Xerxes in the movie.

LOL LOL  Agreed.

Edited by Hellios - 25-Dec-2006 at 01:55
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 01:55
Lol yeh I don't mind either, and if that's how he is depicted in the comic by Frank Miller it should remain like that. The movie will definatly be more historically entertaining than historically accurate. But then again, it is an adaptation from a comic so you can't rearrange the whole storyline. Which one do you think Xerxes looks better in?
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 11:49

Which one do you think Xerxes looks better in?

Like the ancient carvings of him.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 12:53
yeah the original looks way more manly and wise

the other looks a bit faggy to me

but hey what do I know
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 09:20
It's to be released on the 4th of April 2007 here in Australia..and a new (I think) trailer has been released, featuring new movie footage including enormous elephants as well as the rhinos!

http://63.250.192.94/b02r01/004/yahoomovies/10/30879610.mov?StreamID=30879610
or
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=116033565

Probably available on YouTube as well
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 16:07
Despite the total historical inaccuracy,it must have a lot of action,as the trailer shows.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
TheGame View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheGame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 12:45
i have read a source that says there wre 3000 spartens.

the source was CAIS (Circle for Ancient Iranian Studies), which is made up of many different historians. You can read about the site here: http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/about_cais.htm

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:05
3.000 Spartans?Dude,your source is bs.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 16:47

All sources about this battle are from Greeks, it was not so important to be mentioned by Persians, 300 or 3,000, they were all killed and nothing was changed, Xerxes burnt Athen and came back successfully.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>