Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thermopylae movie- "300"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
leif erikson View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote leif erikson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermopylae movie- "300"
    Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 14:34
this is entertaining bullsh*t some regiseurs ar such mad men

I saw last such a sick movie and I thought where it is going with the movie world
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by Sparten

For all we know he did look like that.

Did you see the picture? There is a very high doubt that the man ever looked like a pierced rock star no hair or facial hair whatsoever.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 19:28
hey the directors looked at what the critics talk about the movies that did make an "effort" on being historically accurate. THey probably said screw that and are trying to make something that was historically awsome, yet be fun for them to make and fun for the audience at the same time. ANd that I think is awsome! because movies arent for historical accuracy..THEY ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 20:53
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

hey the directors looked at what the critics talk about the movies that did make an "effort" on being historically accurate. THey probably said screw that and are trying to make something that was historically awsome, yet be fun for them to make and fun for the audience at the same time. ANd that I think is awsome! because movies arent for historical accuracy..THEY ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT!!!!

This movie is an exception since it is based off a comic. However, I have a problem when movies come out and inaccurately portray one side in a war(such as Mel Gibson protraying the British in The Patriot as being overly zealous to kill civilians, though it is well documented that Francis Marion killed many loyalist civilians). I think that every movie that wants to be inaccurate should have a large banner saying something like "VERY LOOSELY BASED OFF OF ACTUAL HISTORY"(or for this movie "BASED OFF OF THE COMIC STRIP _____").

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by Sparten

For all we know he did look like that.

Actually, we do know what Xerxes looked like.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:21
I just hope that they don't do what Miller did: depict naked men. Yech!
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:38
I just hope that they don't do what Miller did: depict naked men. Yech!

What's wrong with naked men?

That movie is gonna be such a laugh. I can't wait!

Edited by Aelfgifu - 16-Oct-2006 at 08:44

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 08:48
Spartans were never depicted as they historically deserve.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 15:49
I made a thread about this in Ae Tavern. Damn I thought I would suprise you guys.. damnit I was wrong
Omnipotence View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Omnipotence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 19:25
When it comes to being historically entertaining and historically accurate, movie-producers will be forced by public opinion to choose the former.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 21:53
I made a thread about this in Ae Tavern. Damn I thought I would suprise you guys.. damnit I was wrong

And damnit I posted in that thread, I thought I was getting a jump on everyone too.

Anyway direct copy paste from my comments there:

Oh my God, I saw this trailer when I went to see the departed and wow, this movie looks amazing. Kind of like Titus Andronicus but you know, easier to understand. And kind of like What Dreams may Come but you know bloody and violent instead of heartfelt and sappy. And kind of like Sin City but you know not crap.

Also, you gotta love the quote:

PERSIAN: "Our arrows will blot out the sky."
GREEK: "Then we'll fight in the shade."
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
alexISS View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote alexISS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:22
Originally posted by JanusRook

Also, you gotta love the quote:

PERSIAN: "Our arrows will blot out the sky."
GREEK: "Then we'll fight in the shade."

That Greek was Dienekes, I think that was the only true historical quote in the trailer

Edited by alexISS - 19-Oct-2006 at 08:45
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" Groucho
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 10:24
It might be bs but it's some pretty awsome bs

I'm just pissed that I need to wait untill march to see it
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 15:58
Well what about this one

Persian:This is Madness!

Spartan: Madness?? THIS IS SPARTAAA!

*Kicks the guy in an endless pit*

:D
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 05:37
Originally posted by DevilItachi

Well what about this one

Persian:This is Madness!

Spartan: Madness?? THIS IS SPARTAAA!

*Kicks the guy in an endless pit*

:D

lol DevilItachi, that's a good bit in the trailer. As for my synopsis on the movie, looks fantastic in terms of special effects and action-packedness, however the historicity of 300 does not strike me as being, well, 100% accurate *coughRHINOcough*. But still, i plan to see it when it comes out for the fun of watching Spartans do some ownage! Cool

'SPARTANS: tonight we dine, IN HELL'

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 16:07
The trailer was wonderful and i hope that the movie will be good too.I am worried only about graphics efects that can make the movies more fantasy than reality.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 12:49
I think that movies based on history are fine, as long as they follow some kind of historical accuracy. You can't market a film as "based on a real story" (which most people will interpret to be real) and then screw up the history- it's not fair to do that.
Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 16:56
The guy who plays King Leonidas, Gerard Butler, was in the HBO miniseries of Attila in 2001, and that movie was as historically entertaining as some of you said about 300. Despite that, his performance was amazing, so it's great that he'll be in 300.

Don't let the historical mistakes drag it down. There will be good parts, as far as I've seen so far: Great acting, war and bloodshed, steamy love scenes, and, oh yes, a giant rhino!!!

March is too far away......
Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 21:20
Butler is an awesome actor. He played Beowulf in Beowulf and Grendel, and the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera as well.
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Ildico View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ildico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 22:45
Originally posted by Achilles

Butler is an awesome actor. He played Beowulf in Beowulf and Grendel, and the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera as well.

Oh yes, I love those movies as well. He always seems to transform into the character and not just play it.

Also, he played Terry Sheridan in the sequel to Tomb Raider. That movie, IMO, was very bad, except for Butler.

Anyways, getting back to 300....

Does anyone have a picture of Xerxes? I have no idea what he really looks like.

Beauty is in the eye of that guy behind the spontaneous diversions, set aside for a good explorer, telling a story about the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>