Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico Threatens to Take the USA Before the UN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexico Threatens to Take the USA Before the UN
    Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 14:19

This whole fence/wall idea is really ridiculous. This is kind of reminding me of We, how the Utopian government builds a wall to keep out nature. We are just blinding ourselves from reality when we build this wall and are becoming more isolated, which in history always turns out to be the downfall of any civilization or country. Its beginning to become reminiscent of some Orwellian nightmare.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 10:04
So, instead of wasting money building a wall, why can't our leaders strengthen border guarding instead?

Because that would solve a problem, and a corrupt government works best when it's "solving" problems not when things get done.

Too bad what happened your Tata. That must have been a horrible experience.

Remember that didn't just happen to hispanic immigrants, italians, germans and poles also were forced to learn english in the early part of the twentieth century.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 11:57
Originally posted by JanusRook

So, instead of wasting money building a wall, why can't our leaders strengthen border guarding instead?

Because that would solve a problem, and a corrupt government works best when it's "solving" problems not when things get done.

Too bad what happened your Tata. That must have been a horrible experience.

Remember that didn't just happen to hispanic immigrants, italians, germans and poles also were forced to learn english in the early part of the twentieth century.

Hi, Janus,

My point was that a well-funded border would be cheaper and more effective. I know that yours is that our government wouldn't do that, but it is a good idea to ask for the right thing from our politicians. Many less informed Americans would be happy with the wall, which doesn't solve anything, so the pressure on politicians will go down, possibly for years.

And my comment about Arch.Buff's Tata was a personal comment towards him. Yes, this experienced happened to other people, and it was horrible as well. This experience has happened in Mexico against Native languages, and it is horrible too. And such was the fate of the Scots, and the Welsh, and the Irish and their native national tongues.

Understanding that many in our family have gone through this, together with the fact that many third-generation Americans mourn the loss of the mother-country language as part of their lives should help us be more compassionate towards others, more or less in the way this conversation has been conducted in.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by Genghis

I find it outrageous that the Mexican government has the audacity to tell the American government what it can or cannot do on its own territory.  America has the right to put a gigantic river of fire or millions of landmines on our southern border if we so desire.  I'm sure however this will get nowhere in the UN, the wall's construction is pretty much inevitable now, and anything in the UN would be vetoed by the United States.  Whether or not you agree with the construction of the wall, I'm sure most people would agree that any country should be allowed to construct such walls around its territory.

Any other opinions?

I've read reports that the Mexican government sponsors the publication of several million pamphlets on how to cross the U.S. border and freely distributes them. What's happening in the U.S. is a defacto invasion by Mexico and a not altogether peaceful one.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 15:24
Originally posted by DukeC

I've read reports that the Mexican government sponsors the publication of several million pamphlets on how to cross the U.S. border and freely distributes them. What's happening in the U.S. is a defacto invasion by Mexico and a not altogether peaceful one.

Those folders clearly say that people'd better not cross the border, but that if they do it, they should take safety precautions and the folder explains which. To present this as an endorsment of the Mexican government for an 'invasion' into the United States is a strong distortion of the facts.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 15:47
DukeC,

There is no invasion. People don't flee to another country to bring the same conditions that forced them out in the first place.

Again, a well-funded guard should keep people out. Now let's see if Republicans have the courage to spend the money for it.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 16:43
Originally posted by hugoestr

DukeC,

There is no invasion. People don't flee to another country to bring the same conditions that forced them out in the first place.

Again, a well-funded guard should keep people out. Now let's see if Republicans have the courage to spend the money for it.

Not sure they're really fleeing anything Hugo. My mom lives in the apple growing region of Washington state where there's a lot of Mexican illegals. Many of them come up to work for a few years then turn themselves in for a free trip back home at U.S. government expense. After their vacation at home, they again cross the border to repeat the cycle. She's also run into people who speak no English and come to the U.S. in the expectation of functioning entirely in Spanish which they do. I have nothing against legal immigration, but if America doesn't enforce it's borders, it won't exist in it's present form for very long.

edit- America does have some responsibilty for the disruptions it caused in Central and South America during the Cold War. Should this come at the lose of Americas' identity though?

If the current trend continues large areas of the U.S. Southwest will return to Mexican control due to the overwhelming immigrant population there. This is a question of sovereignty not humanitarianism.

Edited by DukeC - 16-Oct-2006 at 17:09
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 18:42
but if America doesn't enforce it's borders, it won't exist in it's present form for very long.

Could you explain what America's "present form" is?
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 21:06
Originally posted by Peter III

but if America doesn't enforce it's borders, it won't exist in it's present form for very long.

Could you explain what America's "present form" is?

It's present geographical form, including the Southwest states whos' popualtions are being made up by an increasing number of illegal immigrants each year. If, as it appears, the Mexican government is actively encouraging the illegal immigration of it's citizens to the U.S., how can they justify criticizing the U.S. reaction to that immigration. 

Edited by DukeC - 16-Oct-2006 at 21:06
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Those folders clearly say that people'd better not cross the border, but that if they do it, they should take safety precautions and the folder explains which. To present this as an endorsment of the Mexican government for an 'invasion' into the United States is a strong distortion of the facts.

Even that is basically aiding people crossing into this country.  The Mexican government should tell their citizens to not cross into the United States, and that is it.

I also hate how the Mexicans are acting so offended at the principle of the wall when in the end this is nothing more than them fearing the loss of remittances home that are a great aid to their economy.

I appreciate your understaning on this DukeC.
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 22:34
DukeC,

Mexicans who leave Mexico are fleeing a terrible economy, one that was brought in part from radical free-market ideologues. The economy has barely grown at all in the last 20 years. Why would any person who is forced to leave the country under these circumstances bring the same rulers to the place where there are jobs?

Also, I doubt that to many of them are going on vacation and crossing over again. Since crossing the border is ver y difficult, they now tend to cross and stay. The coming back and forth is something of the past now.

And please read my posts again. It clearly states that the U.S., if it wants to enforce the border, should hire enough people to do so. At no moment do I say that it shouldn't. I just want the money well spent and not wasted in some political monument to xenophobia that will not prevent people from coming into the U.S.

Finally, I find your assumptions of what Mexican will do funny. "Invading" the U.S. never really comes across the mind of most Mexicans; if anything, a few say that the U.S. should futher invade Mexico, maybe then things will get better.

So, now that we put these silly ideas of an invasion to rest, we can say that, if anyone insults you, you have the right to protest and defend yourself. That is what Mexico is doing when it critizes this wall, especially when it is a testament to politicians pandering to racial hatred yet not doing anything significant to stop the problem.

So, what ethnicity are you, DukeC? How did your people got to the U.S.?

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 22:41

Even that is basically aiding people crossing into this country. The Mexican government should tell their citizens to not cross into the United States, and that is it.

I also hate how the Mexicans are acting so offended at the principle of the wall when in the end this is nothing more than them fearing the loss of remittances home that are a great aid to their economy.

Genghis, your back! I thought that you were gone for good from this thread. I never heard back from my comments on this thread, so please inform me now.

First, please tell me why do you insist on a wall instead of a fully funded border patrol. A fully funded border patrol does the job. A wall doesn't. A wall is a waste of money in this regard if you still need the patroling. If you can get the job done with the patrol, why not choose the cheaper, more respectful way of securing the border?

Also, there seems to be that you have a problem with Mexicans. Please explain why. I am sure that you may hold some misunderstandings that I would be glad to clarify.

Finally, share your ethinic background with all of us.     That way it will be easier for us to see how similar our people are.     
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 22:51

Even that is basically aiding people crossing into this country. The Mexican government should tell their citizens to not cross into the United States, and that is it.

Hi, Genghis, I just noticed that you already shared a misunderstanding up here. You see, I don't fear the loss of remittances to Mexico. I dislike the disrespectful gesture that this is; the same way you would dislike people burning images of Bush in Iran.

Also, empty symbolic acts like this encourage people to racial violence. People will begin to dehumanize Mexicans, and racial hatred can grow as a result, since it is endorsed by the government.

The wall is useless, and you know this, Genghis. Why insist on an expensive insult when a fully funded border patrol will defend the border in a dignified manner?

Yes, Genghis, why do you insist on the insulting symbol, and not on the pragmatic policy?

Also, I noticed that you misread the post of Mixcoalt. He said that the pamphlets say that Mexicans SHOULD NOT CROSS THE BORDER yet you insisted in reading the opposite, since this seems to be the idea that you want to believe. Read it again.

Finally, please tell us what ethnic background you have. Maybe I am wrong, but I feel that your people may have been demonized in the past as you seem to be demonizing Mexicans now

Hope to hear from you soon
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 00:35
Genghis, your back! I thought that you were gone for good from this thread

No, I've just had some midterms and couldn't hang around here as much as I'd like.

First, please tell me why do you insist on a wall instead of a fully funded border patrol. A fully funded border patrol does the job. A wall doesn't. A wall is a waste of money in this regard if you still need the patroling. If you can get the job done with the patrol, why not choose the cheaper, more respectful way of securing the border?

I'm not insisting on a wall, I'm insisting that if America wants to, it has every right to build a wall.  I'm also saying that a wall, if it is intended to enforce American law, is not an insult to Mexicans.  It is insulting however, that Mexico has the nerve to tell the American government what it can or cannot build on American soil.

Also, there seems to be that you have a problem with Mexicans. Please explain why. I am sure that you may hold some misunderstandings that I would be glad to clarify.

I have no problem with Mexicans, you merely like to think so.

Finally, share your ethinic background with all of us.     That way it will be easier for us to see how similar our people are.   

I find that question insulting and will not give you the fodder for whatever logic you were planning to create out of it.  If the reasons you think a wall is insulting are valid, you should be able to convince me whether I'm white, black, or purple.

Edited by Genghis - 17-Oct-2006 at 00:37
Member of IAEA
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 01:19
Originally posted by hugoestr

DukeC,

Mexicans who leave Mexico are fleeing a terrible economy, one that was brought in part from radical free-market ideologues. The economy has barely grown at all in the last 20 years. Why would any person who is forced to leave the country under these circumstances bring the same rulers to the place where there are jobs?

Also, I doubt that to many of them are going on vacation and crossing over again. Since crossing the border is ver y difficult, they now tend to cross and stay. The coming back and forth is something of the past now.

And please read my posts again. It clearly states that the U.S., if it wants to enforce the border, should hire enough people to do so. At no moment do I say that it shouldn't. I just want the money well spent and not wasted in some political monument to xenophobia that will not prevent people from coming into the U.S.

Finally, I find your assumptions of what Mexican will do funny. "Invading" the U.S. never really comes across the mind of most Mexicans; if anything, a few say that the U.S. should futher invade Mexico, maybe then things will get better.

So, now that we put these silly ideas of an invasion to rest, we can say that, if anyone insults you, you have the right to protest and defend yourself. That is what Mexico is doing when it critizes this wall, especially when it is a testament to politicians pandering to racial hatred yet not doing anything significant to stop the problem.

So, what ethnicity are you, DukeC? How did your people got to the U.S.?

I didn't mean an invasion in the military sense Hugo, but culturaly. Given enough time and a large enough Mexican popualtion there would be intense pressure to join with thier homeland to the south. There are already large area of the American south where Spanish is the first language. It's not a bad thing but it's an indication of things to come.

As for illegal immigration, what about Mexicos' responsiblity to help prevent the flow of people north? The Mexicans need to fix their own political and social problems so there isn't such an incentive to leave. It would make more sense to spend the money to help them do so I guess. It still comes down to sovereignty, if the U.S. can't control the flow of people over it's borders better, it's going to have serious problems in the future.

My first ancestors to reach the states got kicked out of Scotland in the early 1700s. They went to France for a while then eventually settled in western Pennsylvania around 1745. And like many north Americans I have some native blood too.

Edited by DukeC - 17-Oct-2006 at 01:24
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 01:48

Even that is basically aiding people crossing into this country.  The Mexican government should tell their citizens to not cross into the United States, and that is it.

I hope they find a better solution than a wall, but in the end it is up to American politicians not Mexican to determine U.S. immigration policy. The Mexican government barely represents it's own people, it would be foolish to expect them to be concerned about the rights of Americans.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 02:04

From what I've read they're "How to" manuals for getting safely across the border. Including a don't cross message is pointless if they already know that thousands are going to try each month.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 05:29

Didn't the pope say something like 'giving people education on safe sex is still encouraging them to have sex, they should just abstain, and that is it'.

Doesn't seem to have had much effect on children being born in poverty or nasty uncurable diseases being spread though, does it. It also does not stop people from having sex, so it pretty much has no effect at all exept making peoples lives miserable.

Just saying 'it should not happen' is not really solving anything is it? People will have extra-marital sex and people from poor countries will try to get into richer countries. These are facts. Looking for a solution needs to be a bit more constructive than 'it should not happen'.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 17-Oct-2006 at 05:31

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 06:49

From what I've read they're "How to" manuals for getting safely across the border. Including a don't cross message is pointless if they already know that thousands are going to try each month. 

But then the same could be said about those folders themselves. They'll only get read by people who want to cross the border, it isn't distributed amongst people who don't have plans to emigrate in order to incite them to cross the border.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 08:04

Genghis, your back! I thought that you were gone for good from this thread

No, I've just had some midterms and couldn't hang around here as much as I'd like.

I'm not insisting on a wall, I'm insisting that if America wants to, it has every right to build a wall. I'm also saying that a wall, if it is intended to enforce American law, is not an insult to Mexicans. It is insulting however, that Mexico has the nerve to tell the American government what it can or cannot build on American soil.

Also, there seems to be that you have a problem with Mexicans. Please explain why. I am sure that you may hold some misunderstandings that I would be glad to clarify. [IMG]http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif" align=middle>

I have no problem with Mexicans, you merely like to think so.

Finally, share your ethinic background with all of us.     That way it will be easier for us to see how similar our people are. [IMG]http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif" align=middle>

I find that question insulting and will not give you the fodder for whatever logic you were planning to create out of it. If the reasons you think a wall is insulting are valid, you should be able to convince me whether I'm white, black, or purple.

Genghis,

We agree that the U.S. can do anything it wants. And no one can stop it from doing a wrong such as raising this wall. I also believe that the wall is a waste of money when it won't work. And if there are cheaper, more effective, and more respectful ways to solve the problem--this is, a well funded patrol of the border--we should use that. Do you agree on this or not?

Second, I sense that you understand the insulting nature of the wall, since you have been consistently defensive about being the U.S. being judge by its actions. Yet you yourself spare no country your own moral judgements, followed by request to invade or bomb other countries. So you obviously do believe that it is fine for people in other parts of the world to criticize the actions of other countries.

It seem to me that you don't want to be criticized on the wall because you sense that it is an insult, and people will judge the U.S. as making a wrong, and you don't want to hear that. So why don't you ahead with your moral intuition and recognize the wall as a moral mistake, and openly support a well-funded border patrol instead?

You seem to have a tendency for wanting an enemy to hate. And to hate them, you must dehumanize people first. You see enemies all over the world. For some reason, you decided to pick on Mexicans as your current enemies.

If you are not aware of your prejudice against Mexicans, I am letting you know that you are prejudiced. You want to believe the worst from Mexico and Mexicans. You already stated how you "hated" how Mexicans don't want to inforce immigration laws so that the country can receive money.

Even more, you misinterpreted a quote from Mixcoatl where he clearly said that the Mexican government encourages people not to cross the border to say that their material encourages people to cross the border.

You seem inclined to believe that there is some kind of "invasion" from Mexicans to the U.S.

And more importantly, there seems to be an unwillingness to change your mind about these ideas even after many people show them to be false.

You seem like a nice, good person, so I appeal to that side of you to reject these prejudices about Mexicans. Prejudices tend to creep up on all of us, so once in a while we must flush incorrect assumptions out

Why do I ask about your ethnic background? Because it matters in terms of empathy. You seem to sense that this is the direction that I want to take. You are right. From what I know about you, I would say that you are either Scots Irish or German. I will proceed with this assumption until you correct me.

The Scots Irish have suffered discrimination in the U.S. since their arrival. Up to this day, they are commonly refered as "trash." They came to this country, just like the Mexicans today, to search for a better life. Not only that, but they pushed into the west as pioneers. Even in the 1930 many left Eastern states to go to California, where they were again greeted with ethinc hatred.

Did they did this for fun? No. They did it for necessity. They would never have left Scotland to begin with if they didn't need to. They wouldn't have left Ireland either. Nor would they have left the East Coast.

Now, today Mexicans come here propelled by the same force that pushed the Scots Irish across the continent: economic need.

If you are in fact Scots Irish, ponder on how our people are similar in this manner, ponder how painful it has been to be butt of jokes, and live through social rejection, yet having to put up with it because of economic need.

Use this example to understand how Mexicans immigrants and Scots Irish are very similar in their history and experience, and that this common history unites us.

You can still seek border enforcement, but strive to do it in a respectful way, the way one would have wished they had treated our ancestors. And a fully funded border enforcement corps is what the respectful solution to this is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>