Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico Threatens to Take the USA Before the UN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexico Threatens to Take the USA Before the UN
    Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 18:53
Originally posted by pinguin

The idea that everyone of them is a bandit, it's just another myth.

Thanks for telling us that, it was obvious that many people were under this impression.  On behalf of them, I thank you for the clarification.
Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 19:09
You're welcome

Pinguin
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 20:06
I see you feel sincerily pitty for the "poor Vietnamese family", but don't want to feel the same about the "poor Mexican family"

You miss my point, I could have used any ethnicity, replace Vietnamese with Chilean or Zambian or Swiss if you'd like. My point was that there exist channels for Mexican immigrants to come to the US legally and they choose not to do it, because it's too expensive. Well a poor (economically) african has to pay the same amount as a mexican who wants to emigrate, it's just the mexican can leap across the border whenever they want.

As a final note, you are right I don't know how it is in Mexico, I was born in america and have lived here my entire life. But if their nation is so inferior to the US market-wise (because if it isn't why would they leave) why don't mexican citizens change this themselves, they have similar raw materials and natural resources at their disposal.

But "Americans" (I put in quotes because any person of the Western Hemisphere is an American and not only U.S. people)...

Now that's just a politically charged statement, and meant to bring out emotions in people. The UN and other major world organizations refer to the citizens of the US as Americans and it's the term people from the united states refer to themselves as so that's the term I use.

...."Americans" I said forget that Hispanics are more than 45 millions in the U.S. already, and they are the younger and faster growing group in the U.S. Even if Hispanic immigration stop TODAY, they will be 25% of the "American" people by 2050.

And that's just what the US needs is poor young workers. Isn't poor unemployed young workers what historically causes revolts and fanatical politics? The US isn't like "Old" Europe we don't need more immigration to solve our worker crisis.

And not all hispanics work picking oranges. Some give work to Anglo-"Americans".

Where did I ever say all hispanics did was pick oranges. Anyway I wasn't talking about hispanics as a group (since I don't see them in that way) but rather Mexicans, and not even all mexican immigrants just the illegal ones. Anyway I understand that many hispanics are americans (in the sense of belonging to the US) and have accepted the US and their laws and values and traditions but some have not and those are the ones I refer to.

Yes, a proper border force is the solution here. Janus is on to a plan. Personally I believe that it will take more people because you need more than one lone person to stop an individual, but let's say you need five times what Janus calculated. That would be 30,000 stable American jobs there. And from what I understand, the Border Patrol seems to have enough power on patrol the borders. Our government refuses to give them enough people and enough budget to do this correctly.

And a border patrol would bring stable jobs, unlike the very temporary ones brought from building a wall.

Now all I need to do is run for office, of course my disgust of the current political situation means all I can hope for is a coup de tat.

Many illegal immigrants work for private families, not corporations.

But the ones who facilitate illegal immigration are the corporations, if american corporations determined that illegal immigration would cost them profits you can be sure there'd be a field of land mines a mile wide in between the US and Mexico.

One of the problems is that American wages have been stagnant for so long by now.

Which is why minimum wage must be raised and illegal workers must not be allowed to work.

Because of low wages for American families, food producers must keep prices low--thus they hire illegal immigrants.

Half of my family being farmers, I do know of some farmers using mexican labor to harvest crops, but I don't have a problem with this since they are on temporary work visas (i.e. following the laws and restrictions of the US) and return to mexico when the season is over.

Unfortunately, it is not corporations who benefit from illegal immigration. It is practical the whole society.

No one benefits from illegal immigration in the long term, such a situation only makes it more difficult for both nations to solve their own problems.

I am just sick of certain people acting like Mexicans have the right to break American laws and come into this country uninvited, or that they have a right to come into this country at all. 

Actually Genghis, the sad truth is the illegals have been invited to the US, by politics that want to keep the american economy in stagnation.

And of course this wall is meant for Mexicans, they're mostly the ones breaking our laws!

Don't forget that the wall will also keep out many central american immigrants who risk their lives everyday crossing through mexico's train networks, where they are (as of right now I still believe) felons.

Also don't forget it will keep out drug-runners and coyotes who abuse and exploit innocent people for their own gain.

And it will uh...erm...keep out terrorists as well...erk...cough...

Ok that last one was a joke. Wink
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 21:38
Whatever the diverse reasons Americans have about the influx of foreigners onto American (US) soil there is enough debate to foster research for the problems and come up with a solution.

The main issue still stands and that is the illegal entry of foreigners. Since the focus is on Mexico a debate on how to improve and regulate passage is being considered within immigration laws. With this perspective in mind we need not be offended. Every alien is supposed to be subjected to the law. Ignore ethnicity and cheap labor for a second and think about this issue.

That being said the next question should be, "What is the most effective way to manage the borders?" I think that either military troops or an effective and paid border patrol is sufficient. Over time this system could be perfected. Both countires could place troops on each side of the border to implement the plan. A wall, on the other hand, would probably foster animosity and not necessarily maintain security unless it is built with costly safeguards.

If tight security is the main reason for stringent entry into the US then it seems imperative to stay focused on this goal. Certainly there are arguements pro and con as there are arguements over rationale. Eventually a decision needs to be clarified.

On a different note, I still think the attention this issue is gathering is not as dire as the need to safeguard the US middle class. The main source of taxation. Corporate America and the power of their lobbies have too much influence on business (in)security. Selling the middle class down the river will have severe ramifications that are nearly irreversible as they currently stand. Yes, border security is important, but generalizing and blaming Mexican migrants or illegals for our business problems is tragically wrong.

Edited by Seko - 12-Oct-2006 at 21:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 00:59
Originally posted by JanusRook

... Anyway I understand that many hispanics are americans (in the sense of belonging to the US) and have accepted the US and their laws and values and traditions but some have not and those are the ones I refer to.

Well, then your concern is on Mexican criminals and not Mexican people.

Now criminals are criminals, no matter they are British, Chineses, Russians or Mexicans. The only thing you have to do with them is sent them to jail, fry them in the electric chair, or deport them. I am sure, most Mexicans in the U.S. will agree with you on that.

All populations of the world has some criminals on them. What one could do. That's the way the human species is.

Now, for the topics of VALUES, the matter is different. Mexicas have almost the same SET OF VALUES than the Americans. Just find it out.

For the matter of TRADITIONS, how do you expect a FIRST GENERATION immigrant has ANY IDEA of what an U.S. tradition is? Don't you know Chineses, Vietnameses or Poles keep their traditions at least one generation before assimilate.

If you ask me, as a Latin American, what do I think of the SECOND generation Hispanic in the U.S. I will say they are Americans that speak VERY POOR Spanish (with toons of english on it) and who have its loyalty in the U.S. intead of us. That's the truth.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 13-Oct-2006 at 01:03
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 08:10

For the matter of TRADITIONS, how do you expect a FIRST GENERATION immigrant has ANY IDEA of what an U.S. tradition is? Don't you know Chineses, Vietnameses or Poles keep their traditions at least one generation before assimilate.

If you ask me, as a Latin American, what do I think of the SECOND generation Hispanic in the U.S. I will say they are Americans that speak VERY POOR Spanish (with toons of english on it) and who have its loyalty in the U.S. intead of us. That's the truth.

Oh I know all about values and culture and how difficult they are to learn.  The process through which a citizen of another country becomes a US citizen is supposed to integrate them into society, remember it can take a decade for someone to become a US citizen. The process is meant to discourage people who just want to take advantage of the system.

And after living in Phoenix (and a rather poor part of it at that). I know all about how second generation immigrants assimilate into society. I know that many mexican people want a better life. I personally don't have a problem with people as individuals but I have a problem when my government mismanages entire groups of people to the detriment of society.

Well, then your concern is on Mexican criminals and not Mexican people.

Well there seems to be a problem with the definition of criminal. When the May 1st boycott's were held many protestors held up signs, one of the more popular being "I am not a criminal".

Now I'm not going to say that sign was false, seeing how many of the protestors were legal citizens and second- or third-generation immigrants who were born in the country. Which by the way I find the protestors actions as creating a mexican solidarity inherently racist, since they exclude all other immigrant groups. The name of the campaign was a "Day without a Mexican" for God's sake. However if we get past what they were pretending to be (illegal immigrants so these college students could feel like they did something.) And assume that some of them were illegal immigrants, then quite simply yes they are criminals.

The US law as in stands says that anyone entering the nation illegally is violating US law, which makes them a criminal. And if you take someone else, like your child, you are guilty of human smuggling and in Arizona you can be held guilty for human smuggling even if you are the only one crossing. Therefore any illegal mexican-immigrant is a criminal (except I guess the children as technically the law would view them as victims).

So when you say my concern is with mexican criminals and not the mexican people you are correct.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 09:43
Janus,

Between yesterday and today, something went horribly wrong, and the tone of our conversation dramatically changed. So lets go back to the original tone of the conversation, and lets strive to reach understanding.

I know that a popular belief is that corporations benefit a lot from illegal aliens. And maybe they do. But my experience has been that most illegal aliens that I know work for private families, either taking care of their children or mowing their lawns, or cleaning their offices. Many also work for small restaurant, which are often family owned affairs. And then there is the agricultural work. Many work on the fields. I dont know from what state you come from, but in California most of the work is done by illegal immigrants. And since your family does farming, you are well of the financial strains that farms find themselves in that pushes them to use illegal labor.

And all of these employers tend to me families or small businesses.

I did like that you mention that some neighboring farmers use legal immigrants with visas. They work during the working season, and then they go back home.

And that would be the best solution. The current problem with the system is that it is too complex and difficult to get these visas. If there were some reform that streamlined it, the U.S. could get the labor that it needs and these Mexicans would go back to Mexico, which is their desire in any case. If they know that they can come legally and return legally, then there is no incentive to stay in the U.S. or to bring their families here. In fact, illegal immigrants moving with the whole family is a recent phenomenon that began to happen when crossing the border became a lot harder.

Now, when it comes to the new poverty of the American middle class, this has more to do with our taxation system and our government than with illegal immigrants. Most Americans dont compete for jobs with illegal immigrants. Unless you cut lawns, pick fruit, do cleaning, watch children, or work in construction, your wages are not being affected by illegal immigrants. And I am in favor of protecting the wages of American workers in the fields where they are affected.

Our new national poverty stems for having a government that has given huge tax cuts to the rich and saddle with most of the financial burdens of the nation on the middle class. It stems from not raising the minimum salary since 1997. And it stems from having weakened unions that cannot negotiate raises against employers; instead, they are fighting with all of their might just to keep the benefits and salaries that they already have.

Obviously there is wealth being generated in America. The Forbes list of the 400 richest people in the world only has billionaires, and many live in the U.S. It is that most of the wealth created by American workers is hogged by the richest people. And the best thing is that the struggling family in the heartland is the one subsidizing the wealth of these billionaires. For even though billionaires are the ones who have benefited the most from the Bush administration, they contribute the less of their income as a percentage to the nation.

In other words, the government of the last six years benefit billionaires, but the middle class pays the bills.

This is another topic of course 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 10:12

Well there seems to be a problem with the definition of criminal. When the May 1st boycott's were held many protestors held up signs, one of the more popular being "I am not a criminal".

Now I'm not going to say that sign was false, seeing how many of the protestors were legal citizens and second- or third-generation immigrants who were born in the country. Which by the way I find the protestors actions as creating a mexican solidarity inherently racist, since they exclude all other immigrant groups. The name of the campaign was a "Day without a Mexican" for God's sake. However if we get past what they were pretending to be (illegal immigrants so these college students could feel like they did something.) And assume that some of them were illegal immigrants, then quite simply yes they are criminals.

The US law as in stands says that anyone entering the nation illegally is violating US law, which makes them a criminal. And if you take someone else, like your child, you are guilty of human smuggling and in Arizona you can be held guilty for human smuggling even if you are the only one crossing. Therefore any illegal mexican-immigrant is a criminal (except I guess the children as technically the law would view them as victims).

So when you say my concern is with mexican criminals and not the mexican people you are correct.

Don't be silly, please. I was talking of criminals: people that kills, robb or that traffic drugs. (Criminals should be judge like that, regarless of ethnic or racial background, period).

"Illegal" immigrants broke the laws, of course, but that is not a "crime of blood" or anything like that. Is just people that want to escape poverty.

Now, for the point of "US law" you should know that the U.S. state MORALS (or of any state of the Americas, anyways) are grounded on mud.
All people know most U.S. citizens are descendent of "illigal immigrants". Nobody invited European or Africans to settle into the Americas in the first place. Nobody asked American Indians. So, of what morals are you talking about?

And if you are "white", you should know your ancestors, the "barbarians", were illegal immigrants into the Roman Empire, too. Yes, many people has been "illegal" immigrant in one period of time or another. But that does not convert them in criminals.

Or you are one of those than think Gypsies are criminals, because they move from country to country?

Yes, the rules of your country should be respected, but also the will of the U.S. people. And you should not forget Hispanics are part of the U.S. people by now, and they are more numerous than you think. There are more Hispanics than Blacks in the U.S., and Spanish is the second language spoken in the U.S., like many TV networks show. Most Hispanics belong to the "invisible" minorities you won't notice at least they open theirs mounth.

And most of those people are feed up with the discrimination of professor Huntington, VDARE and many other "Americans" that spread hate all over the U.S. You should pick up C.N.N. in Spanish and you'll find out the reality of your own country.

By the way, there are also Mexican college students as well. And Mexicans nobel prize winner in sciece. After all, the first University in the New World was build by the Spaniards in Dominican Republic, very shortly after the discovery of America.

Curious, isn't?

Pinguin

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 10:20
You appear to be well grounded in your accurate observations of Americas media portrayal of immigrants. CNN, and the like, are just a political mouthpiece for the powers in charge. The debate over the flow of illegal immigration is still viable though. There seems to be two issues hovering around this issue. One, regarding the status of current immigrants. Two, the method for stemming the flow of future illegal immigrants.

As I'm re-reading this I wonder how come the US government doen't process immigrants quickly and make a seasonal visa applicable. Is there such a thing in existence? Over the course of time those who pay their taxes would be offered full alien rights (green card).

Then I think about the opposition to this. Those corporations, or small businesses that have a stake in low cost employement. Their game would be over. Unfortunatly, the immigrants get used and abused and don't even get a fair chance at citizenship.

So I remind myself of this bigger picture. Let's not be so quick to accuse the Mexican immigrants for our insecurity and hypocrasy. Patrol the borders efficiently towards stemming large amounts of illegal immigration. Face our own commercial dilemmas by accepting ownership for and correcting such double (illegal) standards.

Edited by Seko - 13-Oct-2006 at 11:51
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 16:51
Between yesterday and today, something went horribly wrong, and the tone of our conversation dramatically changed. So lets go back to the original tone of the conversation, and lets strive to reach understanding.
Confused I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, my tone hasn't changed at all, perhaps the perception of it has but my opinion on the whole matter is the US sucks we're stuck in a horrible situation and there is no right answer to the problem, but I'd rather have a wrong answer than no answer at all.\

Many work on the fields. I dont know from what state you come from, but in California most of the work is done by illegal immigrants. And since your family does farming, you are well of the financial strains that farms find themselves in that pushes them to use illegal labor.

I'm from Ohio hugo, surprised you didn't pick that up as I'm a buckeye patriot. Also, I know that it is difficult for individual farmers to make ends meet, but in the US these days individual farms are getting fewer and fewer, they are being bought out by mega-farm interests that operate just like businesses and follow the same amoral capitalist model that any other business operate under. My family is lucky enough though to escape that thanks to careful land management.

The current problem with the system is that it is too complex and difficult to get these visas.

Just because a system needs to change doesn't mean that people have the right to circumvent the existing system. It just means they need to work harder to achieve their goals. Also it means that the mexican people need to lobby their government and force it to deal with the US government to arrange these work visas. Not the ideal solution for sure but an agreement is a proper way for two nations to settle differences with their citizens.

Now, when it comes to the new poverty of the American middle class, this has more to do with our taxation system and our government than with illegal immigrants.

Agreed illegal immigration is just a smokescreen the government uses to further its own agenda.

Most Americans dont compete for jobs with illegal immigrants. Unless you cut lawns, pick fruit, do cleaning, watch children, or work in construction, your wages are not being affected by illegal immigrants.

Which surprisingly outside of the southwest this work isn't being done by illegal mexican-immigrants. Yardwork in my neighborhood is done by a mostly american(not the best term but I'll use it to describe assimilated 2nd+ generation citizens) lawn company. My aunt has a maid that comes by who is an older "american" lady and my friend's dad works in construction(roofing) with a mostly "american" work force. I guess some would say I live in a "racist narrow-minded neighborhood" but that is so far from the truth I'll let them keep their little fantasy worldview. What I think that does show though, is that if there was an influx of illegal-immigrants into my neck of the woods that the entire community structure would unravel and unemployment among the "middle-class" would hit an all time high. So illegal-immigration isn't a problem in areas that are all ready established but if they enter new areas it would cause a massive destabilization effect.

And it stems from having weakened unions that cannot negotiate raises against employers; instead, they are fighting with all of their might just to keep the benefits and salaries that they already have.

Actually I've noticed that since the 70's unions have become more and more like the corporations they are supposed to oppose. The time for unions to help out their workers is long past since they have become corrupt.

This is another topic of course

A related topic though.

"Illegal" immigrants broke the laws, of course, but that is not a "crime of blood" or anything like that. Is just people that want to escape poverty.

According to US law a crime is a crime regardless of the reasons. If I steal a loaf of bread to feed a starving child I'm still a criminal according to the US. As are all illegal immigrants, I don't think that they are any less human or any more evil for this fact nor do I believe that their crime is any more damning than jaywalking, I was just speaking in the eyes of the US government.

All people know most U.S. citizens are descendent of "illigal immigrants". Nobody invited European or Africans to settle into the Americas in the first place. Nobody asked American Indians. So, of what morals are you talking about?

That is a separate issue, I am merely speaking on the legal aspect of illegal immigration not on the moral aspect, which is highly subjective and debateable based on your interpretation. Manhattan island was sold to the Dutch by indians. William Penn founded Pennsylvania by purchasing it from tribes. The Miami Confederation, the Great Plains indians and the Apaches all lost their territories in wars and signed treaties (in exchange for the reservations) relinquishing claim to the land so the US has just as much right to the land as the indians do.

Also many european settlers were turned down for immigration and subsequently deported back to their nations of origin once the US decided to formulate a proper immigration policy. After the Mexican-American war many mexican citizens then were allowed to become US citizens thanks to the then written laws of the US so america's immigration policy has just evolved due to what the government perceives is needed in society.

And if you are "white", you should know your ancestors, the "barbarians", were illegal immigrants into the Roman Empire, too. Yes, many people has been "illegal" immigrant in one period of time or another. But that does not convert them in criminals.

...You are a criminal in the US if you break US laws, period. Criminal is a neutral term that just means one who has commited a crime. If you break a law (commited a crime), you are a criminal no matter the severity of it. I am not speaking on the moral character of the illegals but of their status.

Yes, the rules of your country should be respected, but also the will of the U.S. people. And you should not forget Hispanics are part of the U.S. people by now, and they are more numerous than you think. There are more Hispanics than Blacks in the U.S., and Spanish is the second language spoken in the U.S., like many TV networks show.

I am fully aware of the demographical make-up of the hispanic community in the US, I have nothing against my fellow americans who are cuban, argentine, venezuelan, salvadoran or even mexican. I only have a problem with illegal immigrants who refuse to acknowledge the fact that they did something wrong in coming to america by unlawful means.

Pinguin you are turning an logical debate into an emotional one. I am subscribing to following how the laws of the US and the workings of the economy affect the citizenship as a whole, irregardless of extraneous details like culture, language and beliefs. What I hear from you is that if I am against mexicans crossing the border without restrictions then I must be against hispanic culture as a whole. Which I am not.

And you should not forget Hispanics are part of the U.S. people by now

Do hispanics want to be americans or do they want americans to be hispanic?

As I'm re-reading this I wonder how come the US government doen't process immigrants quickly and make a seasonal visa applicable. Is there such a thing in existence?

Yes there is like I said earlier farmers "lease out" workers for the harvesting season, usually no longer than 2 months and then send them back to nation of origin.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 17:20
Janus,

Nothing wrong with being a buckeye Patriot Unfortunately I am not as familiar with Ohio than I am with California or Virginia.

I do know that the situation over there is different from that of California. I know that there was been competition for labor with illegal immigrants there.

Now, I am sure that you will agree that to a large part illegaly crossing the border is illegal by law, not really by action, unlike, say, robbery of murder. The only reason why people crossing the border illegally is a crime is because it is written that way. When it wasn't a crime, plenty of immigrants in the past just hopped on the boat and came to America, and they were not criminals. Change the law, and the suddenly if you do the same action, you are a criminal.

And to be honest, it is silly to criminalize something that so many people are doing. Since many people benefit from the flow of immigrants, maybe it would easier and cheaper to legalize some flow, and that way have a better control over immigration.

And please, understand that I am not morally justifying people crossing illegaly. I am not. Currently it is against the law, and they shouldn't do it. My statements attempt to explain the situation, not justify it.

I find it very similar to the situation with booze during prohibition. People wanted it so much, that they broke the law. Or the case with contraband in closed markets. No matter how much those Soviets disliked American culture, those Levis managed to get to the USSR.

What I am saying is that economic forces in the U.S. encourage people to hire illegal aliens, and this labor demand encourages people to come illegaly. And what I am saying is that there is no reason why we should make criminals out of otherwise honest people. When the system makes it hard for people to follow the rules, people break them.

If a seasonal work permit can be arranged, niether the employer or the immigrant will be a criminal. All sides win: Mexicans get dollars that will improve the countries economy(which in turn will keep people happy in their country) and Americans get cheap labor for agricultural work.

A streamlined system will allow honest Mexicans to go and get work, and then go back to Mexico. A fully funded and staffed Border Patrol will keep drugs and criminals out of the country. Everyone wins :)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 17:43

Do hispanics want to be americans or do they want americans to be hispanic?

Hispanics are Americans. Even if they never enter the U.S. LOL

Well, if you ask me, I believe "American" families would work a lot better if you learn something from our "primitive" culture. That's just an oppinion though.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 13-Oct-2006 at 17:44
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 23:07

Very controversial topic....

Let me first start off by saying that I myself am a Hispanic that lives in the Southwest US(Arizona). The earliest I can trace my family coming over from Mexico is the late 1800's, other than that as far as I know my family has been residing in this general area as far back as it was before it was US soil.
My father is a captain for ICE(Immigration & Customs Enforcement) and has shed a lot of light on the issue that I for one never really thought of. He just returned from Nogales AZ which is a border port to Nogales MX from a 90 day detail. Apparently the US govt. has ordered a certain amount of ICE personnel to the border to "round up" what they can of these illegals and put them on a plane to get this, WHATEVER DESTINATION THEY CHOOSE WITHIN MEXICO, on you guessed it......the American tax payers check!!! You wouldnt belive how many illegal aliens are caught that arent even Mexican citizens.
I believe that the "big wigs" are thinkin more in the long-run. Kinda like a fall of Rome type situation. America was created and always has been for "We The People", but what happens when "The People" dont hold their real allegiance to America? What happens when the majority of these people dont speak english? Thats a main reason I personally believe we should start making english more of a stricter code of law, so to speak.
I believe it is not only Americas right to defend its borders but it is its responsibility. All in all, the govt doesnt see it as illegal aliens coming north into our borders it sees it as "Mexico" spreading north.
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 23:13
quick interesting fact: Did you know that in the Southern parts of the SW states there are water stations? Too many illegal immigrants were found dead so the Fed. Govt. had to step in and build these stations due to heat strokes and dehydration?

Who says the US only looks out for its interests?Wink

Edited by arch.buff - 13-Oct-2006 at 23:14
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 12:53
Arch Buff,

As one of us, you know that people do integrate, especially Mexicans. And you must be familiar with how illegal immigrants encourage their children to learn English, even if they themselves can't learn it. When they can, they work very hard on learning English.

And if enforcement is the issue, then we need more people like your dad. They can actually make a real difference, instead of an unguarded wall. And if we have the people, why bother building the wall then?

And having people like your dad enforcing guarding the border is the best solution. They are trained in how to handle immigrants in a respectful manner, looking after their well being.

So, do you still speak Spanish at home?
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 14:52
I wanted to post a page saying that where towns had fences along the border, crime droppedalmost 50%. Most of the crime called in though is from people complaining that illegals are crossing in their backyard and dropping trash on their land.

Though if there is on continuous fence, I think the problem will arise again since they won't be looking for a easy path in but trying to get over the nearest part quickly.

I think the fence would be effective if there is is more manpower on the border along with top technology. The fence will definitly slow them down and with top technology the proper authorities could get their in time to stop them.

The only reason the Mexican government is upset is that they get millions of dollars injected into their economy from the illegal crossings. There's even reports of the Mexican Military helping immigrants get across.

To end my rambling, I agree with the fence if other measures are done with it. It's one step in stopping one of the biggest pieces of the pie contributing to the illegal immigration, there's alot more to be done elsewhere too.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 18:06
No hugoestr I dont speak fluent spanish but rather know "broken" spanglish if you will. My fathers dad(my Tata) didnt want to grow his kids up with anything other than english being their first language. He rather learned this well, seeing as he was whipped in class at times growing up because he didnt know english that well and sometimes had to resort to talking in spanish for the words he didnt know how to articulate in english, thus the caucasian teachers took this as him being disrespectful him saying words in spanish that he might get in trouble for had he spoken them in english. He was born in 1906 so these were the olden days but he got the message rather well -If youre gonna live here youre gonna have to learn the language-. But being bilingual is a very good thing where I live, definately an advantage especially career-wise.
I do strongly agree with you that we need more man power at the border. Heck, it would create more jobs. You really wouldnt believe how many people sneak in from the Mexico/US border that arent Mexican at all. Apparently its seen as an easy way in for most that want in, I would sure like that image to change. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 22:34
Well, that's producing a problem for Mexico, too.

Many people from Central America, and even Asia or Africa, are trying to get into the U.S. through Mexico!

It is curious but here in South America we also perceive underground organizations smuggling people, particularly from East Asia. There is also a traffic of prostitutes from Dominican Republic.

Not long time ago in Chile, a Chinese young men that worked as a cook in a china food restaurant was killed by his chinese boss to get the money of the insurance. The victim was illegaly in the country and only by chance the crime was discovered. The criminal escaped to Paraguay and dissapeared in the obscure network that protect chinese illegal immigrants.

Perhaps it should be taken as a common problem that affect lots of parts of the hemisphere.

Edited by pinguin - 14-Oct-2006 at 22:39
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I wanted to post a page saying that where towns had fences along the border, crime droppedalmost 50%. Most of the crime called in though is from people complaining that illegals are crossing in their backyard and dropping trash on their land.

Though if there is on continuous fence, I think the problem will arise again since they won't be looking for a easy path in but trying to get over the nearest part quickly.

I think the fence would be effective if there is is more manpower on the border along with top technology. The fence will definitly slow them down and with top technology the proper authorities could get their in time to stop them.

The only reason the Mexican government is upset is that they get millions of dollars injected into their economy from the illegal crossings. There's even reports of the Mexican Military helping immigrants get across.

To end my rambling, I agree with the fence if other measures are done with it. It's one step in stopping one of the biggest pieces of the pie contributing to the illegal immigration, there's alot more to be done elsewhere too.

Hi, there. I know that if the wall would be guarded well, then it would work. But if you are guarding the border well to begin with, there is no need for a wall.

Furthermore, the desert is the wall. Walking through that is hard.

So, instead of wasting money building a wall, why can't our leaders strengthen border guarding instead?

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 12:06
Originally posted by arch.buff

No hugoestr I dont speak fluent spanish but rather know "broken" spanglish if you will. My fathers dad(my Tata) didnt want to grow his kids up with anything other than english being their first language. He rather learned this well, seeing as he was whipped in class at times growing up because he didnt know english that well and sometimes had to resort to talking in spanish for the words he didnt know how to articulate in english, thus the caucasian teachers took this as him being disrespectful him saying words in spanish that he might get in trouble for had he spoken them in english. He was born in 1906 so these were the olden days but he got the message rather well -If youre gonna live here youre gonna have to learn the language-. But being bilingual is a very good thing where I live, definately an advantage especially career-wise.
I do strongly agree with you that we need more man power at the border. Heck, it would create more jobs. You really wouldnt believe how many people sneak in from the Mexico/US border that arent Mexican at all. Apparently its seen as an easy way in for most that want in, I would sure like that image to change.

Too bad what happened your Tata. That must have been a horrible experience. I asked you because I have met many people from New Mexico who speak both languages fluently. In fact, most of the New Mexicans of hispanic background that I know behave the most like Mexicans, to the point that I even ask them from where in Mexico they are

And of course, it has always been better to learn English if you are living here. When the school fail to teach English well, they are hurting these children.

And really, I rather that they had more border guarding jobs than a wall. These jobs will last a long, long time, instead of just giving temporary jobs with a wall. And most people who guard the border are especially trained to deal with illegal aliens, and they do it in a very humane, respectful way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>