Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexico Threatens to Take the USA Before the UN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexico Threatens to Take the USA Before the UN
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 03:04

Well, for Americans that want to leave the rat race, perhaps you should think in settling in Mexico. No kidding, read these articles:

And this is the personal experience of an American family living in Mexico:

Pinguin.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 19:07
Originally posted by Genghis

I don't think I'm dodging the question.  In my personal affairs I would be kind and courteous to someone even if they were an illegal immigrant, but I don't want my government to do the same.  The laws which govern individuals and entities like nations are different.

Genghis,

Ive agreed with a lot youve had to say, as well as hugo.

But I certainly hope when I go down to Puerto Penasco(Rocky Point), Mexico next weekend that the Federales(Govt. officials) treat me(an American citizen) and my family with respect.

Edited by arch.buff - 20-Oct-2006 at 21:44
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 13:41

Because, I think that in this instance you are putting respect toward people who don't deserve it ahead of the security of the United States, and the latter is the paramount goal.

But you already said that you yourself would be respectful to these people if you interacted with them. So on a personal level it seems that you do believe that they deserve respect. And if they deserve respect from you when you talk to them, it follows that they deserve respect from the government as well, which represents you.

Look, if we only have a choice between an effective solution or respecting foreigners, then the government must do that which benefits Americans the most.

But here we have a solution that achieve both goals at the same time. If it works in the U.S. interest, and it makes the U.S. look good due to its respectful treatment of foreigners, why not embrace it?

Putting more guards on the border is the most effective methods to keep illegal aliens from entering into the U.S. It also happens to be the most respectful; a coincidence I must admit. So why not endorse JanusRook's solution, which is effective and respectful?
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 12:47
Because, I think that in this instance you are putting respect toward people who don't deserve it ahead of the security of the United States, and the latter is the paramount goal.
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 13:55
Thanks, Genghis!

If you are a respectful person, why not have a respectful government as well? If there is an issue between being respectful and the nation, of course the government must put the interest of the nation before them. But if it can do something in the interest of the nation and being respectful, why not?

Look, government should look for the well being of their citizens. We agree on this. And the U.S. is constantly asking other countries to be respectful to American citizens, even when American citizens have violated their laws.

Governments don't have a legal obligation to be respectful to foreigner, but it is diplomatic and correct to treat others with respect.

Furthermore, it matters a lot what individuals think because the government will follow the will of the people.

Look, Mexico doesn't treat illegal immigrants Central Americans well. They don't even want to live in Mexico; they are just on their way to the U.S. I rather have the Mexican government treat them better. If I were a Mexican citizens, I would be demanding that they should.

And if the current immigration enforcement are respectful already--and Arch.Buff can verify my claim if they are not--why change current policy?

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 11:56
I don't think I'm dodging the question.  In my personal affairs I would be kind and courteous to someone even if they were an illegal immigrant, but I don't want my government to do the same.  The laws which govern individuals and entities like nations are different.
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 11:50

I stand by my statement that governments are only obligated to show respect to their own citizens.

Stop dodging the question and answer with courage:

Do you believe that only yourself and your country are worthy of respect?

This is about your personal beliefs, not about what government should do.

Edited by hugoestr - 19-Oct-2006 at 11:51
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 11:36
I stand by my statement that governments are only obligated to show respect to their own citizens.
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:59

Originally posted by Hugoestr

Come on, empathize and recognize(spell correction by Hugo) that you, me, and illegal aliens are all humans, and we all like to be treated with respect.

I really don't care at all. The government of any nation has a duty to protect and promote the interests of its own citizens and not humanity, the respect or disrespect given to noncitizens is important only insofar as it might impact the well being and welfare of its citizens.
[/QUOTE

Genghis,

Please reconsider your answer to my quote. I am not asking for the nation to respect yourself, me and other people. I am asking you.

Come on, please tell us that you just got caught in the heat of the discussion, and that you can't possibly believe that only yourself and your country are worthy of respect, which is what your answer sounds like.
<

Genghis,

Please reconsider your answer to my quote. I am not asking for the nation to respect yourself, me and other people. I am asking you.

Come on, please tell us that you just got caught in the heat of the discussion, and that you can't possibly believe that only yourself and your country are worthy of respect, which is what your answer sounds like.

Edited by hugoestr - 19-Oct-2006 at 06:01
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 21:36

Originally posted by pinguin

The U.S. has only two wrongs?

That's quite a few, I guess. I have counted at least one hundred invasions or at least interferences in Latin American countries since 1840. And that's just a fraction of what has been going on worldwide.

Yes, the U.S. has many wrongs, with almost any people in the surface of planet Earth. The problem is the world knows it, but the U.S. itself seem to have forgotten and forgiving its own faults already.

You're merely avoiding my question in the interest of sniping at US policy.  Is your justification now that America deserves a taste of its own medicine?

Not at all. Revenge is not good for anyone. I just wonder when the American people is going to chose more carefully theirs Presidents, avoiding those cowboys that believe the rest world is for the U.S. to use and abusse it.

In fact, I appreciate very much American people, and -believe me or not- I felt like my own the tragedy of S-11. It is just that I think most of the time the real important topics are not solved by using guns but brains. If a country abusses somebody else, there is always the chance of a strike back. So the best way to achieve peace and security is to be in peace with the rest of the world.

As an advice I would say: empower the U.N., the NATO, the OAE and similar organizations, and let them to do the dirty job.

That's what I believe, anyways.

Pinguin

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 21:04
I would agree that the government of America has no duty to see to the welfare of Iraq, but I'm sure you'd agree it's certainly the prudent thing to do given the current situation, to say the least, haha.
Member of IAEA
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 20:17
It is impossible to relate the Berlin wall to the present situation.

The Berlin Wall was built to keep people in, not to keep people out. If the U.S. wanted to build a wall to keep its citizens in, I'm sure it would be more succesful then building a wall to keep other people out. This, combined with what Hugo said about the small size, made the wall very effective.

I really don't care at all.  The government of any nation has a duty to protect and promote the interests of its own citizens and not "humanity", the respect or disrespect given to noncitizens is important only insofar as it might impact the well being and welfare of its citizens.

So that means you would agree with dropping a nuclear bomb on Iraq if it meant solving the war?

Edited by Peter III - 18-Oct-2006 at 23:20
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 19:35
Janus, I'm not saying a wall is the most effective way to secure a border, but it does provide additional security for a given amount of money.  Whether that additional securty per dollar per mile of border is the more or less than the additional security per dollar per mile of border when provided by a guard is something that would need to be calculated mathematically based on empirical data, not something that can be solved by argument here.

That's quite a few, I guess. I have counted at least one hundred invasions or at least interferences in Latin American countries since 1840. And that's just a fraction of what has been going on worldwide.

Yes, the U.S. has many wrongs, with almost any people in the surface of planet Earth. The problem is the world knows it, but the U.S. itself seem to have forgotten and forgiving its own faults already.

You're merely avoiding my question in the interest of sniping at US policy.  Is your justification now that America deserves a taste of its own medicine?

Really, Genghis, why do you insist on the wall, when it is cheaper and more effective to get guards? Why do you insist on carrying on an inefficient insult?

I'm not, I'm merely saying that a wall is a viable option among many options that will need to be considered in a thorough cost-benefit analysis for all sections of the border.

Come on, empathize and recongize that you, me, and illegal aliens are all humans, and we all like to be treated with respect.

I really don't care at all.  The government of any nation has a duty to protect and promote the interests of its own citizens and not "humanity", the respect or disrespect given to noncitizens is important only insofar as it might impact the well being and welfare of its citizens.
Member of IAEA
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 18:02

Pinguin if your going that far back into history remember that up till the turn of the century mexican warlords frequently used the border to commit crimes in both america and mexico.

A wall can substitute for many more guards that would need to be hired.  With a surveilled wall, one would need to spend several minutes scaling it, giving guards time to respond.  Without a wall or every inch of border having a patrol on it all day, one needs only to dash across when the border guards aren't there.

Genghis how expensive is this wall going to be? Even if it was just a stone barricade it would cost millions of dollars to build, maintain and repair. Let alone if you wanted a high tech border with cameras. Using my plan of having one or two watchmen for every mile of border working an eight hour shift, the investment wouldn't be that high. They don't need to be highly trained people just have eyes and the ability to call in border patrol officials.

See the border between Mexico and America is roughly 2000 miles. Lets assume that we have 5 people watching every mile (not at the same time, but to account for different shifts, off days, whatever) then you are looking at a work force of 10,000 people (the number of police officers in NYC is 35,000 for reference). Then lets assume you pay them say $10.00 an hour not much in general but to an untrained person its pretty good pay. Then thats costing the american taxpayers 200.8 million dollars a year. Meanwhile as this site suggests (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15368932.htm) it could take 2.5 billion dollars or more to construct a border fence. Which means my plan could go on for 10 years before the costs would equal what this fence would cost.

Basically my plan would be to pay the minuteman organization for what they do in their spare time, which as I can tell is the most effective way to catch illegal immigrants. Also it would put some legitimizing force behind them as many mexicans consider the minutemen to be racist vigilantes.

edit: Sorry fuzzy math. But to put more reference into the arguement I calculated that Congress will cost the american taxpayers 90.2 million dollars this year. Also if you think 200 million dollars a year is too high a price for national security the war in Iraq has cost america more than 378 billion dollars so far.

Edited by JanusRook - 18-Oct-2006 at 18:10
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 16:46

Yes, the U.S. has many wrongs, with almost any people in the surface of planet Earth. The problem is the world knows it, but the U.S. itself seem to have forgotten and forgiving its own faults already.

Pinguin

Many Americans are aware of these as well Many of us are quite reasonable.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 16:40

Originally posted by hugoestr

Guards are key here. Customs, border patrol, DEA. We need more people guarding the border. And if we have guards, there is no need to have a wall :)

A wall can substitute for many more guards that would need to be hired. With a surveilled wall, one would need to spend several minutes scaling it, giving guards time to respond. Without a wall or every inch of border having a patrol on it all day, one needs only to dash across when the border guards aren't there.

Walls are very effective at preventing movement of people, just ask the East Germans.

Genghis,

We are talking about the desert here. It is pretty hard to hide. And if we had a unit of guard every so often, as Janus proposed, let's say, one every mile with a vehicle, it will take no time to catch up with anyone crossing the border.

Now let's see what is proposed. The wall will be there with the current level of guards. This means that people can easily cross when the guards are not there.

You know well that it is manpower that can protect a border, not a wall. Ask the Chinese how successful their was And you know well that the Berlin wall was a lot smaller than our border, which is why it was effective.

Really, Genghis, why do you insist on the wall, when it is cheaper and more effective to get guards? Why do you insist on carrying on an inefficient insult?

Come on, empathize and recongize that you, me, and illegal aliens are all humans, and we all like to be treated with respect. You made this point very clear in your previous post
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 16:31

Pinguin
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 14:53
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

And you're saying that of course US never ever tried to control anything about anybody elses business ever, right?
(Korea, anyone? Vietnam, all post war colonial powers, Irak, Iran, Afganistan, Somalia, every single South-American country, these ring a bell maybe?)

So, are you saying two wrongs make a right?
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 14:52
Originally posted by hugoestr

Guards are key here. Customs, border patrol, DEA. We need more people guarding the border. And if we have guards, there is no need to have a wall :)

A wall can substitute for many more guards that would need to be hired.  With a surveilled wall, one would need to spend several minutes scaling it, giving guards time to respond.  Without a wall or every inch of border having a patrol on it all day, one needs only to dash across when the border guards aren't there.

Walls are very effective at preventing movement of people, just ask the East Germans.
Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 12:46
Originally posted by DukeC

The world has changed drastically in the last five years but you seem to take for granted the U.S. will maintain its' same border policies. It has no legal responsibilty to allow illegal immigration across its' borders and because of security concerns is hardening them all along its' periphery.

DukeC,

Please read my posts again. You will see notice that I say that I am in favor or practical border enforcement. I have said this many times. Of course the U.S. doesn't have to allow illegal immigrants to cross the border. The reality is that the wall is not a real solution.

I expected a change in border policies myself after 9-11. Unfortunately, the change didn't happen at all. The border is more or less the same way it was 6 years ago.

And I am afraid that the wall is more of the same. It is elected Republicans claiming to do something when they don't want to change the situation at all, as they normally do.

The border needs enough people guarding it. We can build a Chinese Great Wall, but without people watching the border, it will be of no use.

We are basically on the same side here: you want a secure country; I want a secure country. You see the borders as a potential security threat; I can see that too.

It is just a matter of means. Will we waste money building a wall that won't stop the flow of immigrants, or do we fully fund the agencies that can actually secure our borders?

Just on pragmatic reasons you can see that guards are the most important element in securing the border. And if it happens to be also the most respectful one, isn't that even better!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>