Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Worst British Monarch (1066-present)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Parvini View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parvini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Worst British Monarch (1066-present)
    Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 20:48

Hi all,

Since William arrived from Normandy almost a 1000 years ago, Britain has had many Kings and Queens, and, inevitably, not all of them have done a particularly good job. So I ask you now: Who is the WORST British Monarch of all? Here is a provisional list of candidates:

Stephen (1135-54) - Rubbish king who almost lost the country to the marauding Scots and Welsh and to the Norman barons. He further weakened his position when he signed away his succession to Henry of Anjou.

John (1199-1216) - Greedy, cash-grabbing, avaricious, bad at battles, cowardly - in his 17 years on the throne, John managed to lose most of the French territories his dad and brother had won, turn the barons, the church AND the general public against him resulting in excommunication and being forced to sign the Magna Carta. Surely a frontrunner for the "Worst Monarch" title.

Edward II (1307-27) - weak, incompetent, probably gay, dominated and cuckolded by his wife. He was hammered by the Scots and deposed by his wife and her lover. They claim that he was killed by having a redhot poker shoved up his anus but I've also read he was thrown down a well. He did, however, found Oriel College in Oxford where I went for a time so not all bad... still, pretty terrible king.

Henry VI (1422-61) - by all accounts, a bit of a wallflower, Henry was a child king at first but he was never able to control his court with any authority. The infighting between the nobility led to Henry losing almost all of the French territories his dad had regained and to the start of the Wars of the Roses, a period of intense instablity for the crown. Way to go Henry!

Richard III (1483-5) - although he was a fairly decent monarch, Richard's villainy in deposing of his nephews, his intense unpopularity and his loss at Bosworth field mean that he has to be mentioned on this list.

George IV (1820-30) - a notorious gambler and womaniser, George was bad at almost every aspect of being a king save for extravegance. He did build Buckingham Palace though.

So there we have it - feel free to suggest other monarchs too, I hope this will spark some debate!

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:17
Wouldn't it be quicker to list the good ones?
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 01:53

From my point of view, John was the worst British Monarch.

Some may argue that there are other monarchs that performed poor job, but please understand that many other monarchs quickly became unpopular because of being Catholic. (Britain perferred Anglican Church and her population was mostly protestant) John was unworthy of being a king, and he could not even gain support from any of his subject (Except the few that went to his side for money and support...)

The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 05:10
King George VI (Queen Elizabeth II's father)...he should have never allowed Egypt independance
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 06:19
Originally posted by The Gypo

King George VI (Queen Elizabeth II's father)...he should have never allowed Egypt independance

Why not ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 06:48
King  Henry VIII
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 06:51
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:03
Richard I Lionheart.
Didn't care d*ck for his country, only spend about 7 months of his total reign in England, apparently was heard saying that England is only nice if you like sheep, made his people pay sky-high taxes to pay for his ambition-driven crusade and then made them pay even more because he let himself be caught by his enemies and had to be ransomed out, and, worst of all, he is remembered for being the good one....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:05
Originally posted by pekau

From my point of view, John was the worst British Monarch.

Some may argue that there are other monarchs that performed poor job, but please understand that many other monarchs quickly became unpopular because of being Catholic. (Britain perferred Anglican Church and her population was mostly protestant) John was unworthy of being a king, and he could not even gain support from any of his subject (Except the few that went to his side for money and support...)

The Anglican church did not exist until Henry VIII, about three centuries later, I doubt it had anything to do with Johns popularity....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 07:12
What a surprise, I made a post about Richard I and I really don't like the guy. Though I think England has produced worse rulers, at least Richard was personally a good soldier.

Here is the thread I made bashing him:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4695&KW=richard
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 08:57

How did he allow Egypt independence?

The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 09:56
he allowed Egypt independance by relieving Lord Cromer of his duties...we were better of a protectorate/monarchy than we are as a "democracy"

i personally dont think that it was british rule which initiated revolt against the english...i think the invention of Israel in 1948 was the catalyst...the "straw which broke the camel's back" (for egypt anyway)

either way, although the egyptian monarchy was both corrupt and foreign (albanian)...at least the country was not at a loss in terms of rights and secular ideals; religion played extremely little in everyday life...

you were egyptian then...not a muslim or a copt...being egyptian afforded u a certain prestige which wasnt based on wealth or rank

Edited by The Gypo - 09-Oct-2006 at 10:04
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:15
Why does Sparten dislike Henry V? Or atleast, that is the person the picture displays...

I would say that the King that allowed the Parliament to gather in 1265 or the person that allowed the Parliamant to pass acts forbiding the King of disassembling were the worst. ( I think the second was passed in 1689, after the Glorious Revolution).
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:45
Originally posted by rider

Why does Sparten dislike Henry V? Or atleast, that is the person the picture displays...

I would say that the King that allowed the Parliament to gather in 1265 or the person that allowed the Parliamant to pass acts forbiding the King of disassembling were the worst. ( I think the second was passed in 1689, after the Glorious Revolution).

That picture is of Henry VIII not the V.

Richard the Lionheart is the worst king, since he did nothing for the country he ruled and barely spent anytime here, however he's a national hero whether he deserves it or not, i'm content with the legend over the reality in some cases.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 11:40
Originally posted by Heraclius

Richard the Lionheart is the worst king, since he did nothing for the country he ruled and barely spent anytime here, however he's a national hero whether he deserves it or not, i'm content with the legend over the reality in some cases.

1. yes it is.
2. yes he is. (the worst king, not the hero)

Wink

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:02

he allowed Egypt independance by relieving Lord Cromer of his duties...

So it was the king, not the government who sacked Cromer?

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:49
Oh, sorry, I wanted to say VIII...
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:59
I do not know if he was the worst king, but Edward I did do a pretty bad job at his attempt to conquer Scotland.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 16:06
As a paid-up member of the "Richard the Lionheart- Disappreciation-Society" I should vote for this most overrated of English royals, if it weren't for the current Queen, who despite heading a family of inbred half-wits, still hasn't found the guts and decency to call it a day for the British monarchy.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 16:26
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Originally posted by Heraclius

1. yes it is.
2. yes he is. (the worst king, not the hero)

Wink

Oh stop trying to ruin it Tongue every *hero* has his faults, dig deep enough and you can probably make any national hero or icon look far far from great, but heck the legend and myth surrounding such figures are always more important to people.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>