Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgerian Genocide!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algerian Genocide!!!
    Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 09:44
i understand what akritas is saying,

if that is genocide then you would have to consider vietnam, afghanistan and definantly what happened in anadolia as the same thing. But you dont, so why would you rant about the french when you yourself havent done the same thing.

Originally posted by Bulldog

Again more double standards and hypocracisy, Turkey can argue that France is trying to cover up its past by getting involved with something that doesn't involve them.

It is you Bulldog that is the hypocrite. Only non-deniers could morally carry themselves in this thread without looking like idiots. In the end, your blaming the french for the same thing that you and many turks do. Maybe france, japan and turkey should join in the Hypocrital 'we didnt do it' Union (HU) and bitch about the accusers together.

though seroiusly, I hope all sides can face their emperailistic pasts in a honest way.

This thread was started for disingenuous reasons and upheld by some disingenuous arguements

Edited by Leonidas - 08-Oct-2006 at 09:46
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 11:04
Only non-deniers

I dont know any non-deniers country except germany.(Even she is accepting genocide claim only for jews.)

All of other countries which made genocide deny it.

mermaid View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 11:18
when muslims are killed it is a massacre....
when christians are killed it is a genocide...

If this is not a hypocrisy,then what?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 12:18
Sigh, people are using the term 'genocide' way too light, which causes friction both ways. Genocide means the attempt, failed or not, to exterminate a whole people. Thus, the Holocaust was a genocide, the Algerian massacres were not - at least not until further evidence shows up (IMHO, same goes for the Armenian issue, feel I have to mention that since I have a feeling that that and the turbulence around it is 99% the cause of this thread getting started in the first place).

It's kinda interesting how certain people point at France calling hypocrits, and the same time completely swallows the "the Algerians know they were genocided!!!" argument while totally disregarding the same argument when it comes from the Armenian direction though. Both nations need to deel with their past anyway. Not that I in principle think people should apologize for whatever their ancestors did, but its obviously causing much trouble to this day so something need to be done.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 08-Oct-2006 at 16:21
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 16:13
Before analysing your position I'd like to make a few points
I find the position of Ankara quite disgusting. Using people's suffer for blantantly political manover is shameful. You may not like France's position on the Armenian genocide but one thing's for sure there is no short term political motivation.
I am ready to acknoledge the fact there was a genocide. After all whether you intended or not to kill all the population of a country doesn't really matters once they're all dead. Nonetheless one thing is certain if the French army had decided to kill all the Algerian the death tool would be much much higher.

Originally posted by EGETRK

Approximately 1.5 million Algerian Muslim Arabs were tortured and massacred under the French rule according to the Algerian sources  1.5 million dead, while French officials estimated it at 350,000. [http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/alpha/algeria1954.htm Algeria Independence France 1954-1962] Algerians argue that the massacres should be named as genocide and France must apologise from the Algerians. However the French do not accept the claims.

Quickly some math Algeria war 1954-1962: 350,000 casulties (43,750 a year).
French rule 1830-1962: 1,500,000 casulties (1,500,000 - 350,000 = 1,150,000 that is 9,280 a year including the colonization wars) It is a blood bath indeed but I'm not sure we can call it a genocide. Because if it is a genocide what is Rwanda or the Holocaust (1,000,000 casulties a year)? In my opinion it is the cost of racist imperialism but not a real policy of elimination.

[/QUOTE] Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika says that French colonization of his country Algeria was a form of genocide. In memoirs, some French officers have described torture of Algerians during the war, however France has never accepted its responsibility in tortures and massacres in Algeria. [/QUOTE]

Bouteflika, you mean the guy who extensively used toture against FIS, GIA and GSPC? The man who's army and police have massacred thousand of his constituant. The man who's party sucks the money coming from gas export. I'm sorry you should pick your heroes more carefully.

[/QUOTE] Paris says that the past should be left to historians. French President Jacques Chirac, upon harsh reactions to the law encouraging the good sides of the French colonial history, made the statement, "Writing history is the job of the historians, not of the laws." Writing history is the job of the historians"  According to Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, "speaking about the past or writing history is not the job of the parliament.[/QUOTE]

Well I perfectly agree with that. Although I have to admit the parliament itself tend to forget this once in a while.

[/QUOTE]The Algerian president [[Bouteflika]] said in a speech in Paris on [[17 April]] 2006 "We no longer know whether we are Berbers (indigenous North Africans), Arabs, Europeans or French. France committed a genocide of Algerian identity during the colonial era. Colonisation brought the genocide of our identity, of our history, of our language, of our
traditions."[/QUOTE]

Well it is a interesting stateent from a man who has massacred Kabil for a decade. And frankly, colonization was bad enough by itself not to be called genocide. Bouteflika should consider the case of Australia, Terra del Fuego, Congo, Tasmania and German Tanganika before talking about Algerian genocide.

[/QUOTE] [[Algeria]] first became a colony of France in 1830. After a war which ended in Algeria's independence in 1962, eight million Algerian residents were deprived of French nationality and hundreds of thousands of 'pieds noir' (French who settled in Algeria and were re-patriated at the end of the war) were forced home to a place which was not home.[/QUOTE]

Once more be precise: the Muslims in Algeria never had the French nationality. As everybody in the colonies, they were "subjects" of the republic. Beside, the all point of the Algerian nationalist was not to be French any longer.

[/QUOTE] [[Algeria]] called on [[France]] to apologise in 2005 for crimes committed during the colonial era. Bouteflika also urged Paris to admit its part in the massacres of 45,000 Algerians who took to the streets to demand independence as Europe celebrated victory over Nazi Germany in 1945. French authorities then responded by playing down the comments, urging "mutual respect". [/QUOTE]

Setif is indeed one of the worst episode of the war. Actually I think the French government recently admited its responsability though not very loudly.

Just a few facts to finish with:
In my opinion the Turks should stay discret on this matter because before 1830, Algerian was a colony of the Ottomans!
There are two reason why the Armenian genocide is more important to be reckonized than the Algerian one (sort of) and that is because France has welcomed more than 50% of the Armenian refugiees and because unlike France, Turkey may be tempted to do it again (the Kurd problem).
Most of the figures the Algerian government is giving are actually found by French historian living in Paris and paid by the state. In the mean time people go to jail in Ankara for antiturkish behaviour whenever they mention the Armenian problem.
Ankara should stay quite as the French government is their best ally in their bid for the EU.
The only reason Bouteflika is asking for the labelling of the Algerian war as a genocide is money.

Last but not least, by pretending there have been a genocide, they give a perferct excuse to the French government not to apologize for the massacre of thousands of Algerians.
I am a free donkey!
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by Leonidas

I hope all sides can face their emperailistic pasts in a honest way.

It is honesty that can separate politics from facts. I think there has been enough time placed between the past and now, for the concerned parties to make amends and lay to rest the ghosts of that ugly past.

I don't think anybody has a monopoly on declaring something as a massacre, genocide etc. Werther the suffering were Armenians, Algerians, Bosnians or Circassians is secondary, important thing is to recognize that civilians were killed on a mass scale unjustifiably, the rest is just semantics.

Edited by malizai_ - 08-Oct-2006 at 16:31
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 16:40

In my opinion the Turks should stay discret on this matter because before 1830, Algerian was a colony of the Ottomans!
Algerian President said that they proud about that...
There are two reason why the Armenian genocide is more important to be reckonized than the Algerian one (sort of) and that is because France has welcomed more than 50% of the Armenian refugiees and because unlike France, Turkey may be tempted to do it again (the Kurd problem).
also,there is a lot of algerian in france...but,there is a point that i did not understand,Dİd we massacred Krts???
Most of the figures the Algerian government is giving are actually found by French historian living in Paris and paid by the state. In the mean time people go to jail in Ankara for antiturkish behaviour whenever they mention the Armenian problem.no!!Nobody is in the jail for their ideas about so called armenian genocide,but who write a book which regognize so called armenian genocide became famous in Trkiye and in Europe, they know that all of the Europe,our media and our Prime Minister will support them under the name of İdea freedom(Like elif şafak or Orhan Pamuk)...But in europe or world,The historians who support realities are menace by Tashnaks and Diaspora,and nobody support them,and they can not continue to their job(like Bernard Lewis and Gilles weinstein)...Where is Freedom of idea???
Ankara should stay quite as the French government is their best ally in their bid for the EU.We dont want EU anymore,we saw who is ally who is enemy,And also,an imperialist state who have desires in Trkiye can not be our ''BEST ALLY''...
The only reason Bouteflika is asking for the labelling of the Algerian war as a genocide is money.Did u think about why does armenians try to make recognize '''so calleds'' to us...1.for compensation,2. for territory demands(we can see those demands in their constitutions)...What is Bouteflika's wrong???

The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 16:42
And also,an imperialist state who have desires in Trkiye can not be our ''BEST ALLY''...

Do we live on the same planet?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 17:04

I find the position of Ankara quite disgusting. Using people's suffer for blantantly political manover is shameful. You may not like France's position on the Armenian genocide but one thing's for sure there is no short term political motivation.
what ankara do is not worse than what paris do. Ankara is using human sufference for international politics, paris is using it for paris politics.

Difference, ankara is forced, paris is not forced.

Err France had much more colony than ottomans, but She did not stayed away from any matter.(Plus she still glorify it with laws.)

Maybe France should be learn meaning of law.

Ankara should stay quite as the French government is their best ally in their bid for the EU.

Are we talking about same France. France is against it, and france is far from becoming best ally. Infact She is biggest hindarence.

Plus This is a disgusting ofference.(So you accuse ankara?)  So France is trying to buy some history with EU support.LOL Sorry but this type of things are not sold.

Also that shut up, or be quite times are passed.

Do we live on the same planet?

Absolutely not, France is not our biggest ally, It is another imperialist state.(USA).LOL

Edited by Mortaza - 08-Oct-2006 at 17:04
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 17:07
Akritas
Agree for the French hypocrisy and I am against in anyone that speak for  crimes of others when the  hypocrisy is deeeply in his home. That's I am trying to say.
If the Algerian Genocide has happened let the Algerians and French to debate. You as Turk look your home first and leave the others problems to solve them alone.

Ah alas the misrepresentations.........

Its not Turkey trying to push France to accept anything, Turkey has never meddled in French affairs or attempted to push it into accepting this and that.

However, France has, France is meddling in issues that does not concern her and pointing fingers at Turkey without looking at their own internal problems first.

So I really cannot understand why you've laid all the blame on Turkey, when everything you say above actually France has officially done and Turkey officially hasn't.

EgeTurk has simply raised a good point, he has the right to freedom of expression and can articulate his views to us, however, trying to take EgeTurk's views and use them as a counter against France as if he's the state is totally unfair.

France is meddling and trying to get involved in matters which are nothing to do with her.

Algeria's official state position is that a Genocide occured, why should Turkey not recognise this while its been practically assaulted by France over matters which don't concern France.

The Armenian issue is one for Armenia and Turkey to decide, it doesn't matter if France passes all the laws it wants on the matter, if Armenia and Turkey don't come to mutual understandings on the issue it means nothing. Its Armenia and Turkey who are neighbours and they will always live and have relations with each other.

The way some members have tried to pin everything on Turkey as if they've officially even mentioned anything about the Algerian issue is disgusting and deeply hypocritical.

One rule for France and another for Turkey, well things are sure to change.

Leonidas
It is you Bulldog that is the hypocrite. Only non-deniers could morally carry themselves in this thread without looking like idiots. In the end, your blaming the french for the same thing that you and many turks do. Maybe france, japan and turkey should join in the Hypocrital 'we didnt do it' Union (HU) and bitch about the accusers together.
I am not the state, I am not the decider of the official standpoints of states, I as an individual am entitled to my viewpoint and that is my freedom of expression and speech.

Wether you call me a denier, a hypocrite or any other word under the sun doesn't concern me the slightest, as what I am discussing is not individuals but the Official State Policies Of France.

Calling a country Hypocritical and an individual are two totally different things.

I am not "merely blaming" France, I am highlighting her double standards and hypocritical stand-point of jumping on a moral high horse against Turkey while its trying to cram all its crimes of the past in a chamber and pretend they don't exist.

France started this and got itself involved, Turkey has every right to point out France's hypocrisy's.

Oh and Japan, France, Turkey you think there the only countries who have some accusations against? tell me a large country who hasn't got any accusations against its name.

Algerian was a colony of the Ottomans!

I really suggest you start reading history, Algeria was never a "colony" of the Ottomans, it joined the Ottoman state on its own request, there were no colonial policies introduced, Algeria was a federal region with its own regional independance it had allegience with the Ottomans and invited powerfull Ottoman rulers and leaders into the area.

Algeria was a "colony" of France.

In Algeria, "Hiyarunnas" is a phrase used for Turks, the Ottoman period is not seen as a bad era in Algerian history.

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Oct-2006 at 17:27
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

bleda View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 17:13

who did?
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 17:52
Did France have an intent to destroy the muslim population of the Algiers?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 18:09

Algeria says so.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 18:38
IS The GENOCIDE A FASHION of 21st century ? It seems yes ...
Every f*g uses that word when they see a single man is murdered .
And i really wander what shall those guyz cover their inhumanity whether Muslims are systematically destroyed in a way ? Could you , International Society , call it GENOCIDE ? No ; 'cuz you canalize those brutal armies to target civilians .
When a SINGLE Christian dies ( by himself/herself ) in a Muslim country ; they cry .
But when MILLIONS OF MUSLIMS die in a Christian ...etc country , it is called coincidence (!) or mass-murder . LoL 
Have you ever seen such a mature behaviour ?
RECOGNIZE IT , YOU Censored ....
FIRST , CLEAN THE FILTH OF YER GARDEN , AND THEN SHALL ALL OF YOU TRY TO CLEAN others' ...

Edited by Mordoth - 08-Oct-2006 at 18:39
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 19:05
im sorry, i may be a little hazy on Franco-Algerian history...but their independance from France in 1962?left very little to say they were upset about the few spot killings...hell the british did it in every colonial state they controlled eg: Egypt, India, Congo, South Africa and Australia...

Originally posted by malizai_

Originally posted by Leonidas

I hope all sides can face their emperailistic pasts in a honest way.

It is honesty that can separate politics from facts. I think there has been enough time placed between the past and now, for the concerned parties to make amends and lay to rest the ghosts of that ugly past.

I don't think anybody has a monopoly on declaring something as a massacre, genocide etc. Werther the suffering were Armenians, Algerians, Bosnians or Circassians is secondary, important thing is to recognize that civilians were killed on a mass scale unjustifiably, the rest is just semantics.

i completely agree...people should just let go. The Algerian massacre was not in any shape or form a genocide...There would be no benefit in decimating an entire race... Also consider the time frame of which Algeria became independant...1962 places it a decade after Egypt had its independance from Great Britain.

The oppression placed on the North African countries was NOT one associated with being Muslim...It was associated with the formation of the Arab unity. France, Britain and America was greaty concerned that if the Arab nations became linked then they would lose complete control. As can be seen for the few years between 1956 and 1960 and in 1973.(different context i understand...but im demonstrating what the western powers were afraid of)

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 19:26

Algerian was a colony of the Ottomans!

I really suggest you start reading history, Algeria was never a "colony" of the Ottomans, it joined the Ottoman state on its own request, there were no colonial policies introduced, Algeria was a federal region with its own regional independance it had allegience with the Ottomans and invited powerfull Ottoman rulers and leaders into the area.

Algeria was a "colony" of France.

LOLLOL Good joke unfortunately for you I know perfectly the story and I'd suggest you to reconsider your position. If you consider the Barbarossa brothers and the other Turkish Gazis were welcomed in North Africa, you should read the way they've taken Algier by force and beheaded some of the most influencial chiefs of the area... Well if you think that killing all the soldiers is a "request"...

If you want to be perfectly accurate Algiera was a colony, it was officially France and it depended from the home secretary not the colony minister.

LOLLOL

Algerian President said that they proud about that...

Well proud or not it is still colonization...

also,there is a lot of algerian in france...but,there is a point that i did not understand,Dİd we massacred Krts???

Sorry according to the rules of the forum I cannot answer.Wink

no!!Nobody is in the jail for their ideas about so called armenian genocide,but who write a book which regognize so called armenian genocide became famous in Trkiye and in Europe, they know that all of the Europe,our media and our Prime Minister will support them under the name of İdea freedom(Like elif şafak or Orhan Pamuk)...But in europe or world,The historians who support realities are menace by Tashnaks and Diaspora,and nobody support them,and they can not continue to their job(like Bernard Lewis and Gilles weinstein)...Where is Freedom of idea???

I didn't know Bernard Lewis had been fired

We dont want EU anymore,we saw who is ally who is enemy,And also,an imperialist state who have desires in Trkiye can not be our ''BEST ALLY''...

What the hell are you talking about? You sound more and more like a American neo-con: "We're nice people but if nobody likes us we'll fight alone". One very simple diagnostic: hysteria!

Did u think about why does armenians try to make recognize '''so calleds'' to us...1.for compensation,2. for territory demands(we can see those demands in their constitutions)...What is Bouteflika's wrong???

OK one point for you

Originally posted by Mortaza

Err France had much more colony than ottomans, but She did not stayed away from any matter.(Plus she still glorify it with laws.)

For the law you're right this law WAS disgusting. It had been canceled.
For the colony this is a stupid comment. Belgium had only one and they killed one million people. But of course as they weren't muslim you don't give a damn.

Maybe France should be learn meaning of law.

Well you should also consider the legal history of your country and wonder where your constitution and your civil law comes from (Tongue).

Plus This is a disgusting ofference.(So you accuse ankara?)  So France is trying to buy some history with EU support.LOL Sorry but this type of things are not sold.

Err. I though we were all well aware of the fact that none of the three governments involved were fighting for the Human Rights or any higher goal but strictly for their interest.

Also that shut up, or be quite times are passed.

????

I am a free donkey!
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 22:16
France was not intent on killing all the muslims of Algiers...which means that by definition, the massacres in Algiers can not be termed Genocide.
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 00:02

Dear Mamikon ;

And then let us evaluate it " an

accident ".

If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 02:59

Only non-deniers

I dont know any non-deniers country except germany.(Even she is accepting genocide claim only for jews.)

All of other countries which made genocide deny it.

your right, germany is the country which others can learn from in my mind, it has faced and acccepted its ugly past.  So Germany (not others) can talk about facing the past and not look foolish.

Originally posted by mermaid

when muslims are killed it is a massacre....
when christians are killed it is a genocide...

If this is not a hypocrisy,then what?
agreed (though i also feel that the word is used way to freely in general)

In some parts of the world when christains are killed its called a 'massacre'  and of course there are all these other 'genocides' the other way around, get my point? when you do, this would stop being a mere POV circular arguement with double standards flying in all directions.

I am not the state, I am not the decider of the official standpoints of states, I as an individual am entitled to my viewpoint and that is my freedom of expression and speech.
as i am entitled to mine. Your a member that holds the british empire in a glory light in other threads but ready to jump up and down about the french? so your obviously not opposed to european colonialism.....

Unfortunately some people who don't happen to be fans of certain Empires/States try to deny that they ever did anything positive, create anything, advance or discover anything. They blur bitterness with logic and realities. If somebody doesn't "like" the Brittish Empire or any other Empire fine but don't deny what they have contributed.
link
...maybe you can apply your own blinkered veiw of imperialism to the frenchWink

Oh and Japan, France, Turkey you think there the only countries who have some accusations against? tell me a large country who hasn't got any accusations against its name.
Either way it is how they handle their own past that really seperates them. So really the question should be; Which states actaully ban the word 'genocide' for being used for certain parts of its own past and inprison members of its press and writers for expressing such views? i can say its not france

France started this and got itself involved, Turkey has every right to point out France's hypocrisy's.
geez we all know that everyone has right to finger point, but what your point? its doesnt seem to be about  the Algerains or bloody european emperialism. I see politics, the type used by the turkish foriegn ministry and some very sad and immature point scoring. This is just politicising death to help another argument in the opposite direction (soo disingenuous)Thumbs Down

Turkey can get nothing out of this, it cant make too much noise about other 'genocides' without it coming back on them, they have alot in common with other former empires including the very charges it lays on its percieved opponents. Its a lose - lose arguement, simple as that. There is no more substance to all of this, than political rhetoric for domestic consumption, and you seem to dine on it. When turkey can at least alow its history to be discussed openly without legal intervention, it may be taken more seroiusly by outsiders in talking about 'history'.

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Oct-2006 at 03:02
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 05:12
What a coincidence. Yesterday this topic was opened and this morning I read in the newspaper the Turkey wants France to admit there was a genocide in Turkey. Do we have users on AE who work at the Turkish department of Propaganda and PR. Or are there just some brainwashed Turkish nationalists here who repeat every forecooked nationalist argument presented to them?

What happened in Algeria was definately horrible, should be condemned, and France has not sufficiently dealt with it, but I'm getting pretty sick of people whose blind nationalism makes them deny or minimize all misdeeds done by their country in the past, while they continuously going around pointing their finger to other countries.

If all you want to do here is to say how great Turks were and how bad others, do it on some lame Turkish nationalist forum, not here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>