Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LOL, Greek fights against Romanization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOL, Greek fights against Romanization
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 09:49

Hehe, I just found this article that was part of a Hellenic website, talking about Magna Grecian and Eastern Roman (Hellenistic-Roman) civilization in Southern Italy, and how Greek-Italians should fight against the North's Romanization and "destruction of culture in Southern Italy." And I mean in the present day. Little does he know that Magna Grecian civilization is different than Greek civilization of Greece.

Byzantine Italy

The 8th century BC brought the beginning of the Greek invasion to Italy. They came from all over Southern Greece, settling on the southern coasts (from Campania to Apulia) and eastern and southern Sicily. The term 'Magna Grecia', which was giving to the region describes a population and civilization, but not a political reality. Among the first to settle on the Italian coasts were the Achaeans (of Dorian origins) who founded towns like Taranto, Metaponto, Posidonia, and Sibaris. Locrians and then Chalcidians followed them from Euboea who founded Naxos, Zancle and, after the occupation of Pitecusa, Cumae and Neapolis (Naples) in Campania. The Corinthians founded Siracusa and Croton, still in the 8th century BC, and the Megarians Megara Hyblaea on the Gulf of Augusta. These Hellenic Colonies would expand all over Southern Italy and ally themselves with different kingdoms back in the Motherland. Taking part in different wars between the Hellenic City-States.

By 500 BC Greek Sicily and Magna Graecia began to decline, probably because of malaria and endless warfare among the colonies. Only Tarentum (now Taranto) and Cumae remained individually very significant. The Rest of the Hellenic population would end up being romanized.

Hellenism wouldn't grown again in Magna Grecia until Hellenic refugees took to the region once more to get away from invading Arabs and Slavs in the 7th Century. This helped reinforced Hellenism in the region once more. Also the Rule of the Byzantine Empire in some parts of Southern Italy until 1071 would also add to the Re-Hellenization of its people.

Orthodoxy itself has strong traditions in the Italian peninsula and flourished in Calabria, Pulgia and Sicily at one time. It was after the Norman Conquest in the 11th and 12th centuries that the Orthodoxy slowly diminished, but with the conquest of the Ottomans in the East would change all this. Immigrants from Epirus, Peloponeese, Crete, Cyprus, Macedonia, Asia Minor, and the entire Hellenic world fled to the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. Since then the Orthodox population has gone up and down until recent days.

It is estimated that the faithful of the Archdiocese of Italy, together with students from Greece, number about one hundred eighty thousand (180,000) people. The Greek Orthodox living in the country is an almost exclusively Italian citizen of a high social, economic and cultural level. There are also a few 1,000 people still speaking the old language of Griko to this day in the regions also.

With this in mind it is up to us to give our all to the rebirth of Magna Grecia and Hellenism in Italy. We must spread Orthodoxy and Griko amongst the population of Southern Italy so that they can return to their roots and fight against Northern Italy, which wishes to destroy them and their ancient culture.

http://enotitanpride.tripod.com/ellada/id8.html

Edited by Imperator Invictus

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 11:21

Nationalists are hilarious 

(this goes for everyone)

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 22:16
Can that be edited?  The white text is very hard to read.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 04:51
Not if you use the dark skin. 
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:06

well i use the light skin and it is difficult to read but i got it thru...funny

so there should be a civil war in italy...

Edited by rider
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:36
LOLL Pan-Hellenists on duty
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 09:05

These are ultra right fascists. Where on earth did you managed to un-dig this sh*t-for-brains site?

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 16:42
Originally posted by Yiannis

These are ultra right fascists. Where on earth did you managed to un-dig this sh*t-for-brains site?

I was looking for some info on Magna Graecia, and some possible impact by the Italic cultures on that civilization, but instead I got that. Boy do I hate Panists. Does this idiot see Italians trying to regain Libya, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia, and extend her influence to South America's huge Italian population? But it's funny. Anyway, no offense,  he's no threat, not even the Greek military could take that area by force.

Edited by Imperatore Dario I

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 13:42
All this talk about Romanization and Hellens is missing one point. Present time Italy and Greece have as much to do with antique Greeks and Romans as French with Gaules. These countries were submerged under barbarian migration. I believe Longobards (Lombards) where the main culprits in Greece and Rome. With Goths playing a role in Rome. Migrating people literally submerged locals and what we know now as France, Italy and Greece is the result. As local population had a much stronger culture this resulted in the fact that germanic languages of invaders were modified and resemble respectively Greek and Latin more than German.

Edited by cavalry4ever
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 22:07

http://enotitanpride.tripod.com/ellada/id4.html

Ultra-Nationalists are funny....

Post Reply Post Reply