Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Azerbaijan Turkish Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Azerbaijan Turkish Language
    Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 06:48

The language that we talk here, in Azerbaijan is called Azerbaijani, Azeri or Azerbaijan Turkish language. It is one of the arms of Oguz turkish tribe that after 13th was changed to Ottoman, Turkman, Turkmen, Kerkuk, Azerbaiycan and etc.

We have also many native Caucasia-Albanian words in our lecsicon and alo many Arabian words becouse of the influance of Islam. There is Some from Persia and some from Rus-Europe. It sopunds just like Turey Turkish. There is aliitle bit of difference but it feels especially with Istanbul turkish. There is also many turkish-Azerbaijani words in modern Armenian and it is of course becouse of the reason that we are naighboors. The same with Georgians. I want to remind that there are more that 25 million Azerbaijani turks living in Iran, and theyir dialects are more close to farsi, like the stress and pronanciation of words or sentences. But in fact they talk more fluently turkish which is close to Ottoman times language that Turkey or Azerbaijan nations.

So if u have any questions, or if u perhaps want to discuss anything about my language, or the language that i talk i am ready for it.

Best regards to u
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 07:11

Welcome to the forum, Azeri brother.

Either make a history or become a history.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 07:18
Thank u BarbarSmile
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Endorphin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Endorphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 16:54
Salamlar gagashlar - ne var, ne yox?
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 09:46
bele da, sagol
thanks, not too bad
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 18:54

Selam  KerimOglu , could you tell me What are the albian origine words in azeri, because 80% of azeri sounds like persian to me.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 06:57
Well then Persian sounds like Turkish      

Do you speak Turki?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 17:40
Evet kardesim, bende Turkce biliyorum, amma turkce yazmak bene bir az zor dir , daha calismaliyamWink.
Azerice ve farsca ni da cocik olan zaman orgenmisem.
actually i love Turkish language, I found it more beatiful than persian,I like Turkish  music too.
Beacuse of the fact i speak turkish, Persian, and azeri i say that Azeri is collection of persian words ending by a Tukic verb.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 18:33
Maybe you mean Iranian Azari as opposed to Soviet Azari? My Azari friend from Tabriz said he can't understand Turkish at all except for some words here and there. Similarly, the Kurdish guys from Diyarbakir at the local Kebab place said they cannot understand Azari at all. I thought they would because they speak with an eastern Accent and it sounded closer to Azari. 

Some Turkish people here previously led me to believe it was only a difference in accent, but it seems like a little more.
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 20:37

Zagros Salam.

The diffrence is more than an accent. The Turkish grammer is diffrent from Azeri.
for example in Turkish they add a "mi" to the end of the their sentences to ask a question but in azeri at least in Iran it is not common.
at least 80 persnet of azeri is Persian or old Pahlavi origin words.
I live in canada and my best budy is a zaza from Turkey, I always chat with him in Turkish he was so surprised because he was told in Turkey that azeri is very similar to turkish but he found it very different.
I am sure if somebody works in Azeri academically he would find strong I.E. root. I found many words common between azeri and Zaza languge.
unfortunately the culture in Caucase is introduced to the world as Azeri culture, but their culture is closer to Turkish than to azeries.
 Example :
Azeri:
bugun nahar ra jujeh kabab var,
Persian
emruz  nahar jujeh kabab darim.
 all the sentences are like this, even the saying are exact translation from Persian.

if you remebr i gave a link to paper showing that azeris in Iran have large percentage of R1a1(17%) which is way more than caucase(5%).
Azeries culture is very similar to persian in Tehran, and Isfehan
I gusse it was the Partian part of Iran.

Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 03:34
Originally posted by Zagros

Maybe you mean Iranian Azari as opposed to Soviet Azari? My Azari friend from Tabriz said he can't understand Turkish at all except for some words here and there. Similarly, the Kurdish guys from Diyarbakir at the local Kebab place said they cannot understand Azari at all. I thought they would because they speak with an eastern Accent and it sounded closer to Azari. 

Some Turkish people here previously led me to believe it was only a difference in accent, but it seems like a little more.
It is clear why Kurds canot uynderstand Azeri. Turkic language spoken in Anatolia is not their mother tongue. But We Anatolian Turks can easily understand someone from North Azerbaijan.
It is a pure Turkish language.
Once I met someone from Southern Azerbaijan. He spoke Azeri with heavyPersian  loanwords. It was not intelligible.
Iranian azerbaijanis forget their own Turkic words and use lots of Persian words. They become assimilated gradually. That is why they think Turkish is not so close to Azerbaijani Turkish and Persian culture is closer to them.
That is it.
A result of yearslong Iranian policies on Azerbaijani Turks.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 05:11
Shinai, That is very interesting because Zaza themselves are descended from Parthians, whose language was dominant in Azarbaijan prior to its Turkicisation.  I also read somewhere a study by a Professor Yarshater of Tabriz university who had done a study on Azari etymology, he concluded that many words, rather than being Persian were in fact Parthian Pahlavi in origin.

Tengri:

The guys from Diyarbakir spoke Turkish with each other and their accent sounded a little like Azari, Istanbul accent sounds nothing like Azari. I only asked if they were Kurdish when they said they were from Diyarbakir.

And it has nothong to do with Governemnt policies on Azaries.  If you would like to look back at history, all Turkic origin dynasties in the region, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, have adopted Persian as their language.  Do you think that maybe, that this fact has had something to do with it? JUST MAYBE? 

Give me one example of Iranian polciies on Azaries that may have had such an effect.  As far as I know, their language or practises have never been banned, which is more than can be said about some of Iran's neighbours with relation to minorities. So please enlighten me.

Edited by Zagros - 18-Oct-2006 at 05:12
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 06:20

Also, in Iranian Azerbaijan, everybody's speaking Azeri, even in the offices and hospitals. In fact, there are lots of Azeris who cant' speak Farsi at all. What's the assimilation you're talking about?

Azeris has got lots of Persian loanwords, simply because Azeris are originally from old Irannic population that once lived there.
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 07:55
The assimilation is when they go to non-Azari areas, but that is natural, because they have to learn the local dialect/language if they wish to be a part of the existing commerce, education etc of the area and usually by the second generation they lose their Azari tongue and this is just me speculating on this so called assimilation, because every Azari I know can speak Azari whether Tehrani or Tabrizi.

It is the same with many Kurds in West Azarbaijan, they also speak Azari because it is the predominant urban language there.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 11:28
Common lets stop decieving ourselves,

Azeri from Iran can undertand Azeri of Northern Azerbaycan and Turkey.

People in Azeri regions of Iran watch Turkiye Turkey Tv, do you think theyre stupid watching something they don't understand      

Its not even a difference in accent.

Turks in Eastern Turkey have the same accent as Azeri Turks.

A Turk from Kars, Erzerum, Elazig, Igdir has the same accent as an Azeri Turk.

Well Turkish is a major language in Iran spoken in Iran it should recieve official status and be taught now. If it was it would take away any power those who want to divide Iran have si its win-win for Iran.

Zagros there is no need to get defensive, its not your fault that Iran had such policies its not the average Turks fault for some policies of Turkey, there is no need to defend policies which are wrong..

The Shah Pahlavi's were incredibly racist towards Turks and did try hard to assimilate them which like all forced assimilation is bound to fail.

Azeri in Iran complain that their language isn't allowed to be taught, various prejeduce and restrictions against them, that their language should be accepted and embraced as a major language.

They have a point, a large proportion of Iran speaks the language.

Plus it will open more door's for Iran, they can build closer ties with Turkic countries easier, if we put romantiscm aside it would be quite a good move.

Azari is not a language, nobody says I speak Azerbaycani, they say "Turki" as is the common nmae in Iran. Infact only Azeri from Republic of Azerbaycan I've heard to have said, "I speak Azeri or Azeri Turkish". Iranian Azeri say they speak "Turki".

I remember in Uni, I was talking to some guy in Turkish then this other person asked a question in Turkish, we got talking then asked where he's from and he said Iran. Ignorantly I said, oh you speak good Turkish how did you learn isn't your language Frasi. Then I got a LECTURE about how he speaks Turki and that its a major language in Iran. Then I said "so your a TUrk in Iran", after I got another lecture. About Turks not only being in Turkey and that he's Iranian but a Turk.

Anyway he introduced us to his firends all from Iran, they spoke real good Turkish, I had no trouble communicating.

Edited by Bulldog - 19-Oct-2006 at 11:34
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 12:55
Wake up... Iran is not a Persian country, the only thing Persian about this regime is the language it speaks. Azaries are in the highest offices of power in Iran, if they felt so persecuted, I am sure one of the first things they would have done was to push for a change in the official language like you effectively propose.  Turkic rulers in the past also used Persian, Persian is the language of Iran, always has been, no need for any other "official" languages.  If people feel the need they can perpetuate their own language without it being official, Kurds are the best example of this.

And yes, the Shah was incredibly racist against Turks.  So give me one instance please where he was racist?  One instance of oppression of Azaries? He was so racist against Azaries that he even married one... yea makes a lot of sense, very racist. Half his cabinet consisted of Azaries, if he was racist like Saddam (sunni Arab), they would all have been Persian. Also racist against Turks is the fact that he made a military alliance with Turkey. hmm.

After the revolution there was a two year full blown civil war in rural Kurdestan, for Azaries, all that the new government had to do was send a couple of bus fulls of RG to Tabriz and all was quiet, they proabbaly asked them nicely in Torki to behave themselves.

Actually Azari is an officially recognised language, if ther was no difference with Turkish why would it be called Azari?  In Iran Azari and Tork are used interchangably.  Turkish Turks are called Tork e Torkiye.

I believed what I heard from people on this forum about the Turkish languages once, not again. I will trust real people with no political agenda.

Edited by Zagros - 19-Oct-2006 at 13:00
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 13:45
I have asked another one of my friends by e-mail, he speaks Tuirkish, Torki, and Persian.  They obviously stem from the same root but what I dispute is their mutal intelligability, I will advise what he says here.

Edited by Zagros - 19-Oct-2006 at 13:52
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 13:53
If Iran isn't a Persian country why does it bother you? the Turkic speakers are also a part of Iran.

Wake up man, Were not living in the "past", were not living hundreds of years ago, were living today. In the past, monarchs of Europe used "Latin" "French" etc do they carry on this monarchist system today, ofcourse not.

Today alot of Azeri want their language recognised, accepted and taught, its no good saying oh some Turkic leaders in the past used Persian as a language of governance. That was then, this is now, thing's change.

Oh common, the Shah created his downfall, "Tork-e-khar", Azeri's being stupid Persians who spoke the language is an example of his rhetoric. The Islamic revolution was so sucessfull thanks to the support of the Azeri Turks againts the old regime. Ayatollah Shahmadarati was key in this.

In those times anything remotely "Turkic" was outlawed. Nowadays things are getting better, there is more freedom for them to express their identity and culture.

In time there language will be accepted, its in Iran's interest, , Iran is currently under attack they will use anything to divide Iran, playing upon percieved ethnic grievences is the best way to go about this. If Turki is accepted, taught and used in regional areas as the second language, what can the "imperialists" play around with? they'll have no upper hand.

Look at how they created the situation earlier this year which sparked huge protests by Azeri Turks in Iran. They're just trying to build up a sense of isolation, neglect and oppression to play around with, they don't care about Kurds or Azeri they just want to divide Iran in anyway they can.

About language, there is no need to decieve yourself.

If you have a Turk friend from Turkey also invite a Torke from Iran and tell them to speak in Turkish if you don't want to believe it. Why do Torke in Iran watch Tv from Turkey if they can't understand, why when Azeri talk on Turkey Tv there is no subtitles when Turkey Turk speaks on Azeri Tv there is no subtitles.

It is not called "Azari" who says this except Westerners, its locally known as "Turki" which you should know.

Is she not speaking Turkish I wonder, Turkey Turk members here can you understand her? Smile

Azeri Poet and Araz Elses

Protest

Edited by Bulldog - 19-Oct-2006 at 14:08
Albert Pine

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 14:11
You know what I find strange? I have never heard of these grievances from Azaries in person, only through the internet from either Turkish people or Soviet Azaries.  Like I said, every Azari I know and have known can speak Azari, from one of my dad's best friends to the new friends I have made, students fresh from Iran.

Tork e Khar was not brought in at the time of the Pahlavis.  The two explanations I have heard both predate them, one is Imperial Russian subversion to take Turkic part of Iran, so add tot what they got int he treaty of Golestan; the other, it being directed at the Qajars because of how the latter Qjar monarchs used and abused Iran and got robbed blind by the British in the process.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 14:33
Well then you shouldn't have trouble realising that Iran Torke Turki is mutually intellegeble to Turkey Turki.Smile

Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>