Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxon and Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxon and Scythian
    Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 16:37
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Originally posted by King John

You're playing fast and loose with terms here, Cyrus. Dad and Daurt are a long way from déor. Not to mention you still didn't respond to the question I posed to you after I pointed out that déor in OE has multiple meanings and that the meaning you ascribe to it is secondary. I will ask you again, where does deor meaning animal, beast fit into your point? Daurt and Dad are not etymologically the same.
Do want to say Old English "Deor" (Wild Animal) and Middle Persian "Daurt" have different origins? "Dam" in modern English means both "barrier" and "animal" too, what does it prove?

'Dam' in modern English doesn't mean 'animal'. Apart from the barrier, it means wife or mother, of people not only animals. And anyway in this sense it's not even Germanic, it's from French, being cognate with 'dame'. 

(Sorry, I posted this before I'd seen other people had already done so. Put me down as agreeing with them.)

PS: King John, I'm glad someone else agrees there is something that can be called 'Anglo-French'.

Edited by gcle2003 - 02-Jun-2008 at 16:41
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 18:17
However I know that I can't change your beliefs in this "interesting" thread but I have to leave this discussion for some days because I am going on a 6 days trip to Armenia.
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 18:23
It wasn't us who started the Saxon-Scythian connectionWink

What are our beliefs?? Please explain us before you leave. You mean the existence of PGer, don't you?

Edited by Slayertplsko - 02-Jun-2008 at 18:24
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 18:41
You believe Saxons were not the same Scythians, I think if ancient Scythians and Saxons come out of their graves and say themselves they are the same people, your beliefs won't be changed! What about me!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 18:52

You believe Saxons were not the same Scythians, I think if ancient Scythians and Saxons come out of their graves and say themselves they are the same people, your beliefs won't be changed! What about me!

You don't think it's a clue that no one except you believe in this fantasies? Neither anyone on the forum, or any linguist or historian*?

*Medieval fairy tellers, romantics or Nazis doesn't count as a reliable source.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:00
Looking at the history, how the culture developed, and the fact that the Saxon's language is similar with those in the same Ingvaeones group, through culture and language, I think they'd probably ask, "Who are the Scythians?" if anything.
They are a culture from Jutland and the Danish Islands. The only other culture that shows influence on the Germanics is the Celtic Hallstatt culture which only progressed the Germanic tribes into the Iron Age.

Not to mention you use Old English and even Mid too Modern English to show a connectiion between the Saxon's and Iranic people. My guess for this is because you see Anglo-Saxon, and assume they spoke the exact same language. Old English has most of it's influence from Old Frisian, which was even further West.

None of the maps you provided show the Scythian area of influence in Germany, especially not near Jutland. And the same goes for your map of the Alans who were WELL south of Germany, nevermind Jutland.

Your archeology is in totally different time periods and land. If you knew the History of the Vikings, you'd know they went way South and brought back many coins with them, from the Caliphate of Baghdad, and they also faught the Moors in Iberia in 844, and their first raid into North africa was in the same year. So that explains the coins, which had been known for quite sometime now.
You also brought up a single burial mound, which Beorna told you of recent developments, and I've mentioned that artifacts such as the golden fish is known for having a mix of Celtic and Scythian artstyle, which means cultural exchange at most and never caught on.

So, you haven't had any concrete proof and seem to have a agenda since I keep bringing up these points, but consistently get ignored, I brought up the maps atleast THREE times, but my guess is more.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:14

We believe so because it's a historical fact. All your so-called 'evidence' has been proved wrong. You weren't able to challenge ours.

And then you started to deny the existence of PGer - your criterion was probably that it isn't an attested language. But a few questions arise then. Why are you using Persian to back up your Scythian-Saxon theory?? If you don't believe in PGer, then you probably don't believe in Proto-Iranian either. So therefore you can't (by your own logics) link Persian to Scythian. And since we know almost nothing about the Scythian language, it can't be considered (by your own logics) real either.

And one more thing that you aren't able to explain: how did Scythians (who didn't exist at the time) manage to get into Scandinavia and be ancestral to Germanic tribes??

You also tried to separate Saxons from other Germanic peoples - you also failed at this point.

And you have constantly been contradicting yourself. Just a few examples:

1, I have never said that Swedes and other Germanic peoples were Scythians but I believe they were strongly influenced by Scythian/Saxon culture. – are you sure?
2, "Germanic languages originate from the Scythian/Saxon language. "
3, As I said in the old thread, it can be even said that Scythians were originally a Germanic people who migrated to the south and mixed with Iranic peoples. – Aha. I have always wondered about it.
4, Scythians were an iranian people who lived in the northern part of West Asia and Europe, in fact the first known people who lived in this region. - Now read the previous one again
5, Saqsins, like Azeris, could be just Turkified, but it is very obvious that they were originally Alani/Iranic people. I hope you know the differences between original Turks and Turkified peoples.
6, I said in this thread that Scythians can be also considered as a Germanic people, it doesn't change the fact that Saxons were the same Scythians. - you said the exact contrary as well and you’re gonna say that again:
7, Greeks called Sacae "Scythia" and Iran (Airana) "Alan", these are different names, not different peoples. Scythians/Sacae/Saka/Sacasene/Sacassani/Saxons were just different names of an Iranian/Alani people, of course they differ from Persians, Parthians, Medians, Kurds, Lurs, Gilakis, Mazanis, Tajiks and other Iranic peoples. – And now read the whole section again and then once more.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:25
I'm sure if there was not Hitler's racial ideology then Germans would proudly call themselves "Aryan" and say "We are Saxons, the son of Scythians, Aryans, from the Aryan race", so that Darius the Great said "I'm a Persian, the son of a Persian, an Aryan, from the Aryan race".

Unfortunetely we have to beleive the common belief of Aryanism was a Germanic cultural myth, otherwise we will be called racist!!!

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 02-Jun-2008 at 19:31
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:30
You ignored what we said....I asked you to explain a few things - aren't you able to do so??

And about the Aryan race...LOL CyrusLOL

So - is PGer real or not??

Edited by Slayertplsko - 02-Jun-2008 at 19:32
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:32
Well, you left me speechless, I can't believe you even said that. It was a myth, a tall tale about the people of Atlantis. He didn't think they were Iranic, he thought of them as the lost tribe of a master race, of all blonde hair and blue eyes. Do you have Blonde Hair and Blue eyes? If not, your not Arayan to Hitler's and those believed in the Germanic/Arayan connection.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:46
I have explained these things several times, the problem is that you don't believe in the sources, there are several ancient sources which show there was a Scythian language, what about Proto-Germanic? Just show me an ancient source about it.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:51
No you haven't. ''Don't fool yourself''

1, How did Scythians (who didn't exist at the time) manage to get into Scandinavia and be ancestral to Germanic tribes??

2, And then you started to deny the existence of PGer - your criterion was probably that it isn't an attested language. But a few questions arise then. Why are you using Persian to back up your Scythian-Saxon theory?? If you don't believe in PGer, then you probably don't believe in Proto-Iranian either. So therefore you can't (by your own logics) link Persian to Scythian. And since we know almost nothing about the Scythian language, it can't be considered (by your own logics) real either. . SO is it real or not??

You haven't explained it because it hadn't come up.

Ancient sources (Greeks and Romans you (mis)quoted) didn't exist at the time...however, archaeological evidence exists. So explain the two points above.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 02-Jun-2008 at 19:54
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:58
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Well, you left me speechless, I can't believe you even said that. It was a myth, a tall tale about the people of Atlantis. He didn't think they were Iranic, he thought of them as the lost tribe of a master race, of all blonde hair and blue eyes. Do you have Blonde Hair and Blue eyes? If not, your not Arayan to Hitler's and those believed in the Germanic/Arayan connection.
What about Hitler himself? My grandfather, father-in-law, some cousins, ... have blonde hairs and blue eyes, I am not an Aryan but my child will probably be! Wink
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:00
Do the ancient sources mention Proto-Iranian??
Why are you using Persian then if everything needs to be written by Herodot and the company??
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:01

Originally posted by Suren

Originally posted by King John

Old English Online: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/engol-BF-R.html

<déor> brave, valiant 

Cyrus, there is one problem with your definition, it is not complete. The first definition for Déor is not brave, valiant but rather animal, beast.1 Where does that fit into your point?
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=deer&searchmode=none :
Deer
O.E. deor "animal, beast," from P.Gmc. *deuzan, the general Gmc. word for "animal" (as opposed to man), but often restricted to "wild animal" (cf. O.N. dyr, O.H.G. tior, Ger. Tier, Goth. dius)

Middle Persian: Daurt and Modern Persian Dad (beast of prey, wild animal) -> http://www.windictionary.com/Persian-English-dad-Default.aspx

Cyrus, I've never heard about Dad meaning beast or wild animal in Modern Persian. In which dialect are you talking about?
You know Persian language, don't you? "Dad" is the only Persian word for "Wild Animal", antonym of "Dam" which means "domesticated animal"

As you see, this famous poem of Hafiz is in the first link:

Wild Deer - آهوی وحشی

الا ای آهوی وحـشی کـجایی
مرا با توسـت چـندین آشـنایی
دو تنها و دو سرگردان دو بیکـس
دد و دامت کمین از پیش و از پـس

Where are you O Wild Deer?
I have known you for a while, here.
Both loners, both lost, both forsaken
The wild beast, for ambush, have all waken
Right now I know what you are talking about. Smile
The only word that I heard is dad-manesh (wild) which we use it rarely.

Edited by Suren - 02-Jun-2008 at 20:03
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:06
1, How did Scythians (who didn't exist at the time) manage to get into Scandinavia and be ancestral to Germanic tribes??

Why should I post all things again?! I have posted several links about it, for example would you please read this one: http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5471/2/
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:37
Have you read it yourself Cyrus??
1, It mentions two womam immigrants during the Viking age (834AD) - 3300 years after the time the ancestors of Germanic peoples arrived to Scandinavia. And it clearly says they were immigrants!
2, Then it mentions the origin of Odin, a warrior who arrived to Scandinavia a long time ago - it is not clear whether he was one of the Germanic ancestors or an immigrant who gained respect. South of Caucasus (which comprises Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and part of Southern Russia, including the disputed territories of Abkhazia, Chechnya, South Ossetia and Nagorno-Karabakh) and north of Turkey roughly the same area that IEans are supposed to come from.

So, no, you haven't explained those two points. Please do so now, or in the six days.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:03

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

What about Hitler himself? My grandfather, father-in-law, some cousins, ... have blonde hairs and blue eyes, I am not an Aryan but my child will probably be! Wink
Hitler refused to have a child out of fear of it "not having the Arayan look".
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:23

Why should I post all things again?! I have posted several links about it, for example would you please read this one: http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5471/2/

And how many times do I have to repeat Snorris is not credible considering the origin of the gods. Scholars are in agreement there is no basis for his stories, and archaeology agrees. I and other have repeated it at least half a dozen times but you refuse to see it.

And as for the woman: they imported a lot of women from all over the place, many Scandinavian and Slavic rulers in Russia or Poland had Scandinavian wives and vice versa. Nothing extraordinary with that.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 02-Jun-2008 at 21:44
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:45
Reading that link was interesting, but I'm not sure how any of that can prove Cyrus' point in the least. Makes me wonder if he had infact read it himself?
It says the Vikings were very friendly to outsiders, so much that they'd accept them into their family. They say it as though it's unique to invite someone of a strange culture, and I think they push that point in the article, which definitly shows that the cultures were very different and this is another article Cyrus uses, but ends up shooting himself in the foot with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>