Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxon and Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 45>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxon and Scythian
    Posted: 31-May-2008 at 18:27
I'll be there Smile

Anyway, we could come back to the topic by discussing linguistic contacts with prehistoric Germanic languages (a tangential issue in our debate). There is a real possibility of contact between Iranian and Germanic languages (or directly, or indirectly through Baltic or Slavic speakers). That's, of course, not to suggest that Germanic speakers are in anyway actually speaking a "Germanized" Iranian language.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 18:37
What are you talking about?? словѣне doesn't resemble sakalaba at all..tell me now, honestly..does it??
"The Old Church Slavonic language was codified by the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius around the middle of the 9th century.", is it wrong?
Persian historians and geographers have mentioned "Sakalaba" some hundreds years earlier, maybe you believe they were another people (not Slavs)?!

Middle Persian "Hormoz" isn't similar to Old Persian "Ahura Mazda", so they worshiped different gods!!!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:00
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Slayertplsko

It's the same in the western branch - človek Sg. - if you need a plural you use ľudia. (Ludej in russian I think)
Similar to the English person and people.
And yes, it applies to all nouns.

Not sure if I got what you meant, but in Russian we do use chelovek in plural meaning.

1-odin chelovek, 2-dva cheloveka, 3-tri cheloveka, 4-chetyre cheloveka, 5-pyat chelovek and so on...

I was taught that was vulgar. But then Polycarpe Pavlov and Vera Grech, both RIP, were somewhat snobbish Smile

However you remind me of an interesting translation problem that arose when I was learning. We had to translate a review of the Brando film 'The Men', which raised the question of how the film's title ought to be translated (Brando is a paraplegic in a veterans hospital post WW2). Nobody ever came up with a perfect solution, partly because we were not allowed a plural of chelovek, partly because it has to be gender-specific, and indeed connotate vigour, and partly because of the definite article.

Suggestions?
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:06
Cyrus, why do you think that Slav originate from Sakaliba?

There are basically two ethymologies for the word Slav both are inherently Slavic in origin:

First, Slav come from the Slavic "Slovo" i.e. word which means that they were "people of words"  who understood each other and spoke in the same language (in some Slavic languages Slavs are called Slovene). On the other hand some other people are called "mute" in some Slavic languages i.e. they are  those "who don't have words (which Slavs could understand)" e.g. Germans are called "Nemcy" coming from "Nem" meaning "mute."

Second possible ethymology Slav comes from Slava i.e. "Glory" in Slavic.

I'm not totally sure about the origins of the word Sakaliba, but Slavs never called themselves Sakaliba. Sakaliba is most likely just a Persian/Arabic form of pronouncing "Slav."

Besides, Sakaliba was used not only for Slavs, Ibd Fadlan uses is for Volga Bulgars as well.

Why do you need to say that every word under the Sun has Iranic origin?

It's the same is I say that Persian comes from the Russian word 'Persik" which means a peach.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 31-May-2008 at 19:15
Σαυρομάτης
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:10
Originally posted by Chilbudios

I'll be there Smile

Anyway, we could come back to the topic by discussing linguistic contacts with prehistoric Germanic languages (a tangential issue in our debate). There is a real possibility of contact between Iranian and Germanic languages (or directly, or indirectly through Baltic or Slavic speakers). That's, of course, not to suggest that Germanic speakers are in anyway actually speaking a "Germanized" Iranian language.

We could, but I don't know enough about prehistoric German and Indo-Iranian tribes. I would think it unlikely though that they ever saw an assimilation of peoples like that which I would consider necessary for a 'creole' to emerge.

On the other hand, if they traded I bet they had a pidgin to trade in. Smile And that could lead to some exchange of words between the languages themselves remaining after the pidgin vanished.

After all that's how we got 'orange', to give Cyrus one.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:15
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by Slayertplsko

It's the same in the western branch - človek Sg. - if you need a plural you use ľudia. (Ludej in russian I think)
Similar to the English person and people.
And yes, it applies to all nouns.

Not sure if I got what you meant, but in Russian we do use chelovek in plural meaning.

1-odin chelovek, 2-dva cheloveka, 3-tri cheloveka, 4-chetyre cheloveka, 5-pyat chelovek and so on...

I was taught that was vulgar. But then Polycarpe Pavlov and Vera Grech, both RIP, were somewhat snobbish Smile

However you remind me of an interesting translation problem that arose when I was learning. We had to translate a review of the Brando film 'The Men', which raised the question of how the film's title ought to be translated (Brando is a paraplegic in a veterans hospital post WW2). Nobody ever came up with a perfect solution, partly because we were not allowed a plural of chelovek, partly because it has to be gender-specific, and indeed connotate vigour, and partly because of the definite article.

Suggestions?

Well. The use of "cheloveka" is indeed limited to the combination with some numerals. But it's totally literal and is widely used. I can even refer you to the news articles in Russian by the official mass media which use "X cheloveka" if you are interested. Smile

There was "cheloveki" in the Old Russian. It's indeed is not used now and sounds funny. Smile. I guess the word which was referred by those authors was "cheloveki."

But for "The Men" "Liudi" is indeed the best translation. However, "The Three Men" would be "Tri Cheloveka"
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:25
I just realized that the use of "Cheloveka" perhaps has to do with some rules of Russian phonetics or pronouncation since it's only used with the numerals which end with a vowel i.e. dva, tri, chetyre.
So, "cheloveka" is used only with those. However, "cheloveka" is not used for all the other Russian numerals which end with a consonant.
Σαυρομάτης
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:46
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

What are you talking about?? словѣне doesn't resemble sakalaba at all..tell me now, honestly..does it??
"The Old Church Slavonic language was codified by the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius around the middle of the 9th century.", is it wrong?
Persian historians and geographers have mentioned "Sakalaba" some hundreds years earlier, maybe you believe they were another people (not Slavs)?!

Middle Persian "Hormoz" isn't similar to Old Persian "Ahura Mazda", so they worshiped different gods!!!

I didn't say it doesn't come from sakalabi because it's not similar (God, Boh, Deus, Allah...the same). It's because slověne comes from protoslavic slovenonin.

славяниґн
Праслав. *slove№ninъ, мн. *slove№ne...
And just like Sarmat said, there are two etymologies for this. More information here:
http://vasmer.narod.ru/p643.htm

And yes, Methodius and Constantine codified Old Church Slavonic...but the word slověne predates OCS by many centuries. And the two didn't invent the language...it would be a tough job, would it not?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 19:55
OK now, explain us your theory..ONE theory..and stick to it all the time please. If you wanna start a iranian-slavic hypothesis suit yourself, but I would appreciate if it remained iranian-slavic hypothesis - not iranian-polish, iranian-saxon, whatever.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 20:08
We could, but I don't know enough about prehistoric German and Indo-Iranian tribes. I would think it unlikely though that they ever saw an assimilation of peoples like that which I would consider necessary for a 'creole' to emerge.

On the other hand, if they traded I bet they had a pidgin to trade in. Smile And that could lead to some exchange of words between the languages themselves remaining after the pidgin vanished.

Like I and several scholars argued extensively, not every linguistic contact produces pidgins or creoles, not even when a specific activity like trade is involved.

In pre-history, certainly there was significant assimilation, especially at the boundaries between linguistic groups. In that book on Circum-Baltic languages I quoted from earlier, a scholar suggested that Baltic languages were once spoken on a wide area from Berlin to Moscow. If this is true, it means a lot of Baltic speakers were assimilated by Fino-Ugric, Slavic, Iranic or Germanic speakers, possibly also Turkic (if the former succeded to survive unassimilated for that long).
In reverse we also know at the dawn of "Germanic history" of many Germanic populations (or arguably mixed with steppe elements - like those of Huns or Alans which very likely encompassed some "barbarous" Germanic elements in their roamings) which eventually were assimilated by other populations (Slavic, Romance, etc.). In some cases, either their numbers were insignificant relative to the local population, or their culture was/became disconsidered/viewed as of low prestige, so that it's hard to find today traces of their passing (like in large parts of Eastern Europe and Balkans we can't find (m)any traces of Goths, Gepids, Vandals, etc.)

The word "orange" however does not support Cyrus' case because it did not come into English directly from an Iranian language, but through Mediterranean trade, passing through many languages (thus a relatively large difference between forms, the English etymological dictionary gives the Persian form narang, Cyrus can enlighten us which are the contemporary forms of this word in Iranian languages)

Edited by Chilbudios - 31-May-2008 at 20:15
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 20:35
Other than Germanic languages, there are several other Indo-European languages, what I say is that Old Saxon language, whether as a Germanic language or not, is very similar to Iranian languages, I have compared numerous Saxon and Persian words in this thread, for example Old Saxon Sehan (to see) and  Middle Persian Sahian (to see), If you prove this Saxon verb is more similar to a Latin, Greek, French, Sanskrit, Hittite, Tocharian, Spanish or ... verb then I will say there isn't any similarity between Iranian and Germanic languages at all.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 20:38
You haven't answered my question - what is your theory??

1, Saxon is not Germanic
2, all Germanics come from Iranian language

Which one?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 20:55
Cyrus, can you give a reference for the Middle-Persian word? Earlier on you used another form and I don't think it's correct if you "adjust" the words so they can match more than they actually do.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 21:16

Like I and several scholars argued extensively, not every linguistic contact produces pidgins or creoles, not even when a specific activity like trade is involved.
I'm providing a location to argue that n the linguistics forum.
The word "orange" however does not support Cyrus' case because it did not come into English directly from an Iranian language, but through Mediterranean trade, passing through many languages (thus a relatively large difference between forms, the English etymological dictionary gives the Persian form narang, Cyrus can enlighten us which are the contemporary forms of this word in Iranian languages)

Yes. My little joke.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 23:09

Cyrus, the Slavs are probably mentioned by Ptolemaios as "Stauanoi", wich is wrong for "Slauanoi". They are placed beside the Veneti, Galindai and Suodenoi. That leads us to the conclusion that the can be placed in the Zarubinsky-culture. Sarmatian people live south of Zarubinsky-culture. I can't see any scythian connection. You'll have a problem to make Slauanoi from Sakaliba!

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 23:22

In pre-history, certainly there was significant assimilation, especially at the boundaries between linguistic groups.

On the other hand, especially at the borders the language was the most dividing difference. That makes boundaries not only to a region of exchange but also of division. From my point of view the rising of the Celts was one reason for the Germanic origins. Those Germans were the ones that were not allowed to take part in it.

In that book on Circum-Baltic languages I quoted from earlier, a scholar suggested that Baltic languages were once spoken on a wide area from Berlin to Moscow. If this is true, it means a lot of Baltic speakers were assimilated by Fino-Ugric, Slavic, Iranic or Germanic speakers, possibly also Turkic (if the former succeded to survive unassimilated for that long).
It's very difficult to say what languages were spoken in very early times. But usually the Baltic area is more in the east, around Pripjet, Dnjepr and north of it. Balts came to the areas of the southern coast of the Baltic Sea probably first with the end of the Germanic time and short before the Slavic influence was rising.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 05:39

Cyrus, why do you think that Slav originate from Sakaliba?

I thought Salvs are the same Persian Sakalaba/Arabic Saqaliba/Middle English Sclave/Latin Sclavus/Greek Sklabos, if you think they are different peoples then there will be no discussion in this matter.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 06:24
First of all, Sakaliba was used for different people including Volga Bulgars, as I have already said.

Secondly, I'm talking here about the names not about the people themselves. Why do you think the name "Slav" originate from "Sakaliba"?

It's just simply more natural to think that "Sakaliba" originates from "Slavs."

In any case, Slavs never called themselves Sakaliba.
Σαυρομάτης
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 10:14
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Other than Germanic languages, there are several other Indo-European languages, what I say is that Old Saxon language, whether as a Germanic language or not, is very similar to Iranian languages, I have compared numerous Saxon and Persian words in this thread, for example Old Saxon Sehan (to see) and  Middle Persian Sahian (to see), If you prove this Saxon verb is more similar to a Latin, Greek, French, Sanskrit, Hittite, Tocharian, Spanish or ... verb then I will say there isn't any similarity between Iranian and Germanic languages at all.

For every single Saxon word that happens to be similar to Persian there are dozens if not hundred that are similar to other languages. Don't you see how ludicrous it is just to compare a few word?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 01-Jun-2008 at 10:17
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2008 at 13:56

First of all, Sakaliba was used for different people including Volga Bulgars, as I have already said.

What does it change?

Secondly, I'm talking here about the names not about the people themselves. Why do you think the name "Slav" originate from "Sakaliba"?

It's just simply more natural to think that "Sakaliba" originates from "Slavs."

It seems as if you say "All Empires" originates from "AE". Which word is older? "Sakalaba/Sklabos" or "Slav" (please mention your sources)

In any case, Slavs never called themselves Sakaliba.

How do you know this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 45>