Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mongol invasions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mongol invasions
    Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 16:26
I've just been watching a documentary on the Mongol invasion of Japan.  Kubilai's haste and impatience spelled the beginning of the end for the empire, but I picked up some interesting facts:

Mongols seemed to have used one of the world's first hand grenades, or explosives - a hollowed out stone shell was filled with shards of metal then gunpowder, the hole in the top was stuffed with a cloth wrapped in string and lit, then thrown.  This would have terrified the Samurai defenders as they had not seen such a thing (as would the Turkish composite bow caused much havoc).

But it turned out that the superior skill of the Samurai in close combat and the poorly constructed Mongol fleet (built by newly conquered Chinese workers pressganged into service) and the 'divine wind' spelled doom despite the commanders, Arikhan, skill at land warfare.

I'm really interested in getting some more info about not just the invasion but more so about the Mongol invasion and defeat of China, can anyone give me some good information about that please? Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 17:29
Sorry can someone move this to the central asian steppe section, i posted in wrong place...
shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 19:48
You can read about the Mongol invasion of Song china in www.chinahistoryforum.com
Search under the Song dynasty section.

Cheers

Chris
shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 19:48
You can read about the Mongol invasion of Song china in www.chinahistoryforum.com
Search under the Song dynasty section.

Also,
Cheers

Chris
shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 19:52
I didn't intend to double post my last posting. 

There are informative websites regarding the Mongol invasion of Song China;

Cheers

Chris
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2014 at 12:28
Originally posted by

I've just been watching a documentary on the Mongol invasion of Japan.  Kubilai's haste and impatience spelled the beginning of the end for the empire, but I picked up some interesting facts:Mongols seemed to have used one of the world's first hand grenades, or explosives - a hollowed out stone shell was filled with shards of metal then gunpowder, the hole in the top was stuffed with a cloth wrapped in string and lit, then thrown.  This would have terrified the Samurai defenders as they had not seen such a thing (as would the Turkish composite bow caused much havoc).But it turned out that the superior skill of the Samurai in close combat and the poorly constructed Mongol fleet (built by newly conquered Chinese workers pressganged into service) and the 'divine wind' spelled doom despite the commanders, Arikhan, skill at land warfare.I'm really interested in getting some more info about not just the invasion but more so about the Mongol invasion and defeat of China, can anyone give me some good information about that please? Thanks.

The Mongols did not invade Japan. They tried, but not being seamen, they failed due to their lack of knowledge of boats and seamanship. They also failed in proceeding further than Indonesia for the same reason. These overseas expeditions were among their worst ever defeats.

Edited by toyomotor - 03-Jan-2014 at 12:28
 Post Reply Post Reply