Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The world's largest religious monument

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The world's largest religious monument
    Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:05
What is the world's largest religious monument?

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 03-Oct-2006 at 09:10
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:10
Has to be the mosque of Mecca.

The biggest church is that basilica in Yamoussoukro (Our Lady of Peace) but I think it's smaller than that moque
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:11
For the record, I think the tallest religious building is the Hassan II mosque in Marroco, 200m tall!
Vae victis!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:15
I think its the varsani festival in India. mecca is more known since islam has had contacts with the west almost continoulsy, while Hinduism has not.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:16
I would think that Angkor Wat is it (it is related to religion), other than that, I have no sufficient information about the Japanese Shinto Temples nor of the Central Amercian stone-pyramids.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 09:59
How about the Vatican?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 10:11
I say Mount Fuji.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 10:17
is it only me who cannot see Cyrus' posted image?
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 10:43
The greatest catholic temple is this in Ivory Coast,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Our_Lady_of_Peace_of_Yamoussoukro

based on San Pietro in Vaticano and built in the middle of the jungle by a dictator of that country using 300 millions dollars; very few people visit it. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 12:03
The great pyramid of Cholula, Puebla, Mexico. 450*450 metre, and 66 metre tall. One of the largest buildings ever built.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 15:36
Originally posted by ok ge

is it only me who cannot see Cyrus' posted image?

Sometime I myself can't see it! Confused That is a view of Imam Reza religious complex in Mashhad.

Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 17:10
Hagia Sophia
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 20:52
I believe Exarchus is right with the tallest minaret of the Hassan II mosque in Marroco, with a whopping 200 meters in height. The Ulm Cathedral of Germany, beginning its construction in 1377 with its updated fully finished version by 1890 remains the tallest Christain church in the world, at 161 meters, or for British and Americans, 528 feet tall. For Hinduism in India, the Srirangam Temple Complex remains the largest temple in India, with the dimensions of rougly 156 acres (631,309 m) with a perimeter of 1,116 m (or 3,660 feet), comparable to the 12th century Cambodian (medieval Khmers) temple complex at Angkor Wat, the rectangular complex measured by the outer wall (1025 by 802 meters, with a height of 4.5 meters) enclosing a space of 203 acres, or roughly 821,000 square meters of space, is the largest temple in the world. For Buddhism in the Far East, you could easily relate the largest religious statues. In China, the 8th century AD Leshan Buddha that is carved out of the cliffside (much like the even more ancient statues of Ramses II in Egypt), and is the largest seated Buddha made of stone in the world, sitting at a height of 71 meters tall, with the toe-nails of this massive rock-carved sculpture being as large as an average 5.8 foot tall person. The Ushiku Daibatsu Buddha of Japan beats this out by being the tallest standing Buddha in the world, standing at 120 meters tall. The 8th century AD Daibatsu Buddha of Todaiji Temple in Nara, Japan, weighs in at 500 metric tons, as the tallest bronze-cast Buddha in Japan, at a height of 14.98 meters (while Todaiji Temple itself is reputedly the largest wooden building in the world). However, the Tian Tan Buddha of Hong Kong, China, remains the tallest seated Buddha made of bronze (34 meters high) in the world. 

Someone should also factor in the dimensions of the Aztec and Maya temples as well...

Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 03-Oct-2006 at 21:13
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 21:04
the mosque of mecca is the largest throned(visited) from all over the world
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 00:59
The biggest religious structure at present is the Hindu Angkor Vat Complex in Combodia.

The biggest religious congregation in the world is the Hindu Kumbha Snan at Prayag, India
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 06:28
The Pentagon - dedicated to all gods of war (and some more)
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 08:18
Originally posted by Cezar

The Pentagon - dedicated to all gods of war (and some more)

They are a very good religion. Belive in bringing fresh blood all the time. So there chief God changes after every four years, some gods are lucky to continue for another term.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 09:54
I believe Exarchus is right with the tallest minaret of the Hassan II mosque in Marroco, with a whopping 200 meters in height.

As I said several times, minarets of Tehran Mosalla are thaller.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 10:40

La Sagrada Familia basilica in Barcelona will soon be the tallest Church in the world at 170m. For all the architecture buffs out there check this church out, its ground breaking for a church to have such functions externally and internally. Aesthetically its very different from mainstream churches and I love it.

Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 11:56
i dont know about the size but the most visited shrine is mecca as i have said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>