Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Was Shapur I overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Very overrated
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [39.29%]
1 [3.57%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.57%]
15 [53.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Shapur I overrated?
    Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:32
So you believe that refering to me as an "ignorant IDIOT" is no disrespecting?
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 15:25

Originally posted by jamshidi_f

So you believe that refering to me as an "ignorant IDIOT" is no disrespecting?

Oh, you mean in the OTHER thread? Oh please, don't flatter yourself. 

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 16:21
Alright boys and girls, cut it out.

Dari is a pimp master
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 18:37
OK, daddy!

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 23:37

"As Crassus and his soldiers trudged toward the general, the Parthians whipped around the Romans and slaughtered them, killing 20,000, and enlisting the aid of Chinese troops to capture Sogdia."

Show me the source when the Parthians ever captured sogdiana during this time.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 00:02

Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

..the original Ottomans are not the Turks of today. The ones that destroyed the Roman Empire by capturing Constantinople in 1453. They were a nomadic, Asiatic Mongoloid (not in the offensive term) race. But during the centuries of the Ottoman Empire, Greeks, Armenians, Kurds, Italians (left over from the Venetian commercial influence), and Persians all mixed in to the original Turkic blood. I've even read an article on a Turkish man himself telling on how mixed in the Ottoman Empire actually was. It was mostly the assimilation and interbreeding that kept it Turkish looking.

You contradict yourself. On one hand, you said turks are not the same as they were originally. On other hand, you said assimilation and interbreeding kept them Turkish looking.

Logically, your statement means Turks are still mongoloids. Or I just didn't understand what you meant by the phrase "Turkish looking". And how assimilation of people of Balkans, Middle East and Caucasia could have preserved Turks? That's genetically impossible.

As far as Romans and modern Italians concerned, my personal opinion is simple. Italians are undoubtedly related to Romans. To what degree? I guess nobody really knows it. Nevertheless, Romans didn't disappear from the face of the earth like ETs and UFOs do in the movies. Definitely, they left genetical imprint on modern people living in Italy and around in Mediterrenian.

Edited by Elteber
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:39

@Warhead

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/battles/carrhae.html

@Elteber

That wasn't really a contradiction.  The way the Ottoman government tried to keep its people Turkish was by mass interbreeding.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 15:43

"The Parthians settled many of their captives in their Eastern territory of Sogdia. In an interesting footnote, Sogdia was later captured by the Han Chinese and so these Romans may have been amongst the first to meet the Chinese - not much of a consolation for living the rest of your life amongst foreigners. "

Thats wrong, it was the xiongnu not the Parthians that occupied Sogdiana, that author's knowledge of primary source is pretty poor.

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 19:56
Well how was I supposed to know about the accuracy of the author?

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 20:14

Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Are the Turks closer than the Italians? I'm not saying that genetically Italy is pure and from the Romans but you've gotta understand that the original Ottomans are not the Turks of today. The ones that destroyed the Roman Empire by capturing Constantinople in 1453. They were a nomadic, Asiatic Mongoloid (not in the offensive term) race. But during the centuries of the Ottoman Empire, Greeks, Armenians, Kurds, Italians (left over from the Venetian commercial influence), and Persians all mixed in to the original Turkic blood. I've even read an article on a Turkish man himself telling on how mixed in the Ottoman Empire actually was. It was mostly the assimilation and interbreeding that kept it Turkish looking.

The Ottomans arent the same as Turks of today? I understand what youre saying by them breeding with other nationalities such as Kurds, Greeks and Armenians... but theyre basically the same people. They still speak Turkish and follow Turkish culture just as the Ottomans did. Ive heard so many people say the Ottomans of the early 20th century are not the Turks of today....thats completely false. Obviously theyre not exactly the same people because theres a new generation, but just because theres a new generation of a culture doesnt mean they dont belong in the same category as the previous generation or their ancestors. Theyre still Turks and so were the Ottomans. When you said you read an article about a man talking about how mixed the Ottoman Empire really was, it might have been misunderstood as there were many minorities within the empire, not that the Turks were assimilated. If anything, the minorities of the empire became assimilated. A lot of cleansing happened towards the end of Ottoman reign though. Youre right about the Turks being mixed, but they were in no way, shape or form assimilated. The minorities they mixed with were assimilated.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12