Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a few questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a few questions
    Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 19:28
hey there
my name is philip and i am currently at brighton university (brighton uk)
i have a presentatin to do on thrusday ( 2 days time) on al- andalus spain and need some help
i have got most of the information i need but one of many points i must cover is, " were there significant differences between arab (amayyad) and berber (almoravid) spain?
i have looked on the net and in numerous books but can not find any information about the differences (exept that the burbers were given land that they could not cultivate so left it and alowed christians to gain a stronghold on some nothern parts of spain which may have had a contributing factor  to the downfall of islam)
also what were the main points of conflict between the christians, jews and muslims (jews seem to have it easier than they had before so i cant see any conflict by them towards the muslims,  christian people didnt seem to bothered (convivencia) but political christians were obiously fighting to get their land back.) were there any more?
i am sorry for giving so much information but i would really like some help and i dont want you to think that i am just expecting the answers.
i have done my homework i just need to polish the presentation off so any help would be much appreciated
i have another question regarding this work but these are the important ones so if there is time i will ask the other question
thank you in advance
philip

Edited by mynameisphil - 02-Oct-2006 at 20:12
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 06:35
I'm not an expert about that but i'll try to help you, but you can search in this forum about that.

Not only almoravids, also almohades were berber people. The main difference is the race. During arab domination arab people was a minority but they have the main positions. Arab were warriors but also bring to Spain many things, culture, medicine, agriculture, etc. They want to improve the living level, but almohades and almoravids not, they come from the desert and they were mainly warriors and not developed the kingdoms, they came because the muslim called them to fight againts christians and they took advantage of many internal conflicts in muslim Spain.

The main conflict was the land, there were a border war like in the US with the natives. During peace periodes the people without the king made some incursions in the territory of the other kingdom. There were some aspect very impostant, the most, obviously, the religion. In Spain the wars againts muslim were other crusades, not only in Holy land, and real crusades with the acll of the Pope and many foreigner soldiers.
The idiea of a war promoted by the kings is false, were the people. But there were also places and times with peace, the most well-known is Toledo with the translators School. The demographic pressure in Castile was high and they need more land. The land above Duero River didn't have many population, was a natural border and Christians take profit and settled them. Another point to the conflict was the taxes, fisrt were the Christian who had to pay to Muslim, and for example Almazor did many Razias againts Barcelona or Santiago. After was the opposite, the muslim Taifas kingdoms had to pay to Christian kingdoms, mainly Castile and Leon.

It's a very complex periode and very long, i cannot say many things so fast, and without many time, i hope you'll be successful in your work.
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 07:08
hey
thanks alot for your help! its made the period alot clearer for me
being spanish the last question could relate to you more and it is
"how has this era been represented in academic and popuar history"
it seems as if there was alot of conflict between arab and berber kings but the people seems relitivly happy (espscially the jews) 
how has the period seen in spain?
thanks again!

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 00:50
There's a good discussion on the subject in the "Arabs and Spain" thread which I think lies in the "Questions and Answers" category. You might be able to gleam bits and pieces from there.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 07:27
Sincerely, Spanish society has considered the muslim domination a thing different than Spain. It isn't true, but people think that. And the Almohade periode hasn't been very popular.
Currently we can distinguise some tendences in the society:
- People that think Muslim were bad and reconquista was a great Christian crusade, and arabs didn't left anything right. It was an old vision, and minority.
- People proud of the muslim heritage, usually in Andalucia were muslims lived more time and left more constructions like in Grenada, sevilla and Cordoba.
- People that think Muslim and Christian were thing of the past and they are not interested in that.
- And people that have studied the subject and can distibguise many periodes in muslim and Christian kingdoms with times of light and darkness in both cultures, with peaceful and war periodes.

I think muslim were a great people and they left a very important heritage in our culture, language, traditions, constructions, etc., but history has its own ways and Christians take profit of their best organization and made a very strong country that could dominate the world in XVI century. We cannot understand the XVI century without the Reconquista.

I'm sorry because i'm not very good in english and i have some difficults to write fast and a large text. And you need the information for tomorrow.

One question? What do you study? I have cusiosity to know how the Spanish history is seen in other countries like UK. The work, what subject is for?
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 07:57
hey
thanks for the info again lol
i study cultural and historical studies and one of the parts of the course is "globalization and identity" and i am looking at the way people take islam and the muslims and adapt to it
 Post Reply Post Reply