Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how the mongols breached the great wall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how the mongols breached the great wall?
    Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 11:13
i don t know, it is pretty hard to imagine that a siege could actually happen under the great wall. i did a little research and it showed that the use of great wall was to send signals, it would only be used as defence fortification during critical situation. as you know, there are many little station on the great wall act as post for patrols consist of 5 soidiers so when ever that discover a possible enemy invasion, they would set up fire to signal the next station, and signal the next... eventually the army will be notified of an enemy invasion and send reinforcement.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 17:13
The wall is the last line of defense, not the first.  
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 10:25
Song China's lose again proved the importance of strategical territory. Song's army was much more advanced in weapons and armors. Their training were good, too. But this most wealthy and advanced country at its time in the world could not stop Mongol's advancing. Not because Song's generals did not well enough, it was just beyond their ability. When the northern vast land occupied by nomads, even the great Yangtze river could not bar the enemy, let alone a simple wall. When the Song soldiers sheltered in the heavily fortified castles shooting the enemy with their half auto firearms, they were doomed to final failure.  They gave their initiatives to the Mongols and could never take it back.  Mongols had much more men to employ, much more horses to ride, much more natural resources to smith into weapons. Though the mongols suffered more casualties, they won at last. Song's defeat arised from the lose of nothern territory, and uncontrol of the West Reign, Manchuria etc.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 11:58
the mongols breached the great wall as the others( Blue Turks etc.) did.i dont think that its hard to breach it becouse i dont think that Turks(pagan CA turks) were advanced in pre-mongol times.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 20:54

Ok, honestly. Just because Mongolian armies depended on horses does not mean that they can't get over the wall? It's like saying if we pave a river in front of our defense, the enemy tanks can't come in. I must say that Mongols must had a bit more difficulties... but come on. They could easily shower the wall defenders with arrows, cannons (After Mongolians got this technology from the Chinese) and just about anything else that they could think of. I heard that when Mongolians encounter a heavily fortified defense, they catapulted the dead boddies around or in the defense and allow the diseases from the dead bodies to infect and weaken the defense but who knows. If you watched how Mongolians breached Kims great wall in South Park, it doesnt seem that hard to breach the wallsSleepy

Join us.
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 12:29
Pekau,

I think Genghis Khan said that a wall is only as good as the defenders who defend the wall.  Something like that.  A wall is very prohibitive when properly and adqueately garrisoned.  See how the Manchu's broke through the Great Wall when toppling the Ming.  They did not.

Mongols utilized Arab or Persian engineers during seiges of Song fortifications.  I do not believe that cannons were used.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, Mongols can shower defenders with arrows, but so can the defenders.  Also the defenders can utilize the crossbow (meaning greater range).  Something the Mongols cannot. 

Jiangwei
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 12:33

Pekau,

Also throwing dead bodies only work when laying seige to a city.  If you are referring to the Great Wall, it probably will not work.

Jiangwei

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2007 at 20:48
Like i said, great wall was not build for defence purpose or very little of it, the geography of the surrounding area does not support siege on either side.

Edited by Siege Tower - 19-Jan-2007 at 20:49
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 11:29
I have heard that the Mongols simply bypassed the Great wall by sending Subedei with 30000 men to fiegn an attack on the great wall. Tricking the Jin into sending many of thier reinforcements there. While Genghis Khan and the main army of the Mongols went around the great wall and attacked from the west, catching the Jin completely by surpriseShocked.

I have also been to an exhibition recently about the great wall and would like to say how incredibly ingenius the technology and engineering wasClap. Particularly during the Ming dynasty, at this time the soldiers stationed on "the great wall" (I know that there were in fact multiple seperate walls) slept on internally heated benches, and used explosive Rockets disguised as crows!!!
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 11:15
Mabey a more important quest how was the greatwall built

this is how LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Zwwrf-bP0
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 11:20
but I have a magazine that always was accurate that tells that the Mongols just ride around it
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 07:22
Originally posted by poirot

The Great Wall concept itself is a gross violation of Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Ha, that's an interesting way of putting it. The wall, if used effectively, would not be a bad option though...

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123